Wrist Wrench Vs Rolling Thunder

Jedd Johnson

This video review compares two pieces of grip training equipment, the Rolling Thunder, which has been around for over a decade, and the Wrist Wrench, which has only been around a couple of years.

While each piece is great in its own way, I give my honest feedback as to which one I think is a better option for you, especially in regards to training to lift challenge dumbbells, like the Thomas Inch Replica.

• Like 5

Fixed an error in the thread title for you Jedd.

This video review compares two pieces of grip training equipment, the Rolling Thunder, which has been around for over a decade, and the Wrist Wrench, which has only been around a couple of years.

While each piece is great in its own way, I give my honest feedback as to which one I think is a better option for you, especially in regards to training to lift challenge dumbbells, like the Thomas Inch Replica.

where would a person get a new wrist wrench? well, it would be my first. i already have a rolling thunder. thank you.

In talking with Mike Cochran, the maker of the WW, he said they are currently out of stock, but I believe all of the sales go through the Wrist Wrench fan page on Facebook.

• Like 1

I agree 100% on your conclusion Jedd, nice work on the video. The WW is an excellent tool.

The violence of the WW's rotation is a double-edged sword. Break into this lift slowly, especially if you haven't done a lot of thickbar work, as I've seen guys get dinged up or w/ extreme soreness that lasts many days from too much work/weight too soon. Wrist, thumb and biceps of different guys have been tweaked (nothing major), but it does approximate the Inch's rotation better than anything, and w/ less weight used too.

I've only seen one guy who could lift 100+ lbs. on the WW that had never gotten a full Inch pull.

• Like 3

I have both the wrist wrench and my now barely rolling thunder and I think if your goal is inch style bells the you can't beat the wrist wrench.

I concur with this review. Based on anecdotal evidence on the RT and personal experience with the WW I talked with mike about getting a bigger one made, but that was awhile back and not sure if he still has interest in pursuing that.

I don't use my WW as often as my other stuff simply because it will hammer you. I've managed 90 pounds fresh on it, but that was awhile go as well I need to retest and see if I got an extra 5 to 10 in me. I cant wait for someone to use it as an event, it will be awesome.

I agree 100% on your conclusion Jedd, nice work on the video. The WW is an excellent tool.

The violence of the WW's rotation is a double-edged sword. Break into this lift slowly, especially if you haven't done a lot of thickbar work, as I've seen guys get dinged up or w/ extreme soreness that lasts many days from too much work/weight too soon. Wrist, thumb and biceps of different guys have been tweaked (nothing major), but it does approximate the Inch's rotation better than anything, and w/ less weight used too.

I've only seen one guy who could lift 100+ lbs. on the WW that had never gotten a full Inch pull.

I am one of those guys bob...did 100+lbs on WW replica (steel handle vs PVC)...still not full lift of the Inch

Edited by Lucasraymond

I am one of those guys bob...did 100+lbs on WW replica (steel handle vs PVC)...still not full lift of the Inch

What is the handle of the WW made of? If plastic, would steel make a difference. Is the diameter of the WW the same as the Inch?

What is the handle of the WW made of? If plastic, would steel make a difference. Is the diameter of the WW the same as the Inch?

Ive made both PVC and Steel in 2" and 2.375"...I prefer the feel of the steel. If you are interested I can make you one...PM me if interested

• Like 1

Luke, you pulled the Inch high enough so that it is more than obvious you will finish it off to your satisfaction on a good day when fresh. Your replica may also be easier or harder than an original WW.

• Like 1

Ive made both PVC and Steel in 2" and 2.375"...I prefer the feel of the steel. If you are interested I can make you one...PM me if interested

Actually I was wanting to know the material of the original WW that Jedd is comparing against with the RT in his above vid

Actually I was wanting to know the material of the original WW that Jedd is comparing against with the RT in his above vid

PVC

Like everything it depends on the goal. I'm sure Jedd covers the Crusher along with other Inch training devises.

My 0.02$

If your goal is to lift a 173 Inch dumbbell and your going to use a rolling handle as a primary training tool it's going to look a little like this.

Rolling thunder you'll need to pull a lot more than 173.

2.5" Crusher going to be close to 173. Almost pound for pound but I would guess you should have a high 170's low 180's pull to be safe.

WW will be a lot less than 173.

Like everything it depends on the goal. I'm sure Jedd covers the Crusher along with other Inch training devises.

My 0.02$

If your goal is to lift a 173 Inch dumbbell and your going to use a rolling handle as a primary training tool it's going to look a little like this.

2.5" Crusher going to be close to 173. Almost pound for pound but I would guess you should have a high 170's low 180's pull to be safe.

I would say Andrew is dead-on re: crusher.

What I've told people is a good proxy for an Inch lift(depending on what they're using to train):

WW: 100+

Crusher 172+

Axle: 210 1H to knee height

RT: too much variability, depending on the age of the RT. Would have to try a brand-knew one to get an idea.

• Like 2

Has anyone successfully trained for the Inch by only utilizing one of the WW or 2.5" Crusher? Just out of curiosity.

Edited by avasatu

Well.... you also have some of the strongest wrists most of us have seen. Maybe the WRIST-wrench met its match. Just sayin. ;)

My 0.02$

Crusher 172+

Axle: 210 1H to knee height

Well I've got my work cut out for me if that's the case.

In talking with Mike Cochran, the maker of the WW, he said they are currently out of stock, but I believe all of the sales go through the Wrist Wrench fan page on Facebook.

Just ordered one from him, Jedd. He said it would be out this week.

The wrist wrench is an absolutely brilliant grip tool. I can do high volume with it but I suspect those who just started training grip could easily injure themselves if they went too hard too early.

Has anyone successfully trained for the Inch by only utilizing one of the WW or 2.5" Crusher? Just out of curiosity.

I highly doubt it, since the WW is so new and the Crusher just became available again last year.

• Like 1