Dynanometer Strength Vs Gripper Strength

Eric Roussin

Does anyone have any thoughts on how grip dynamometer readings compare to RGC ratings? If someone gets can squeeze 150 lbs of pressure on a dynamometer, would this be the approximate equivalent of squeezing a 150 rated, choked gripper?

Edit: The topic should read "Dynamometer", not "Dynanometer".

I met up with Aaron C back in 2014 and closed his 194 #4 twice and john Eaton's 199 #4 once so I was already fatigued but I put up 250 lbs on his baseline hand dyno right after those closes. I tried it a couple times and my number got better once I got use to it since its very different than a gripper. I believe if I practiced with it and was fresh I could have done a little more.

• Like 1

RGC ignores the fact that your strongest fingers are producing their force above one inch from the base of the handle away from the spring, so the overall poundage needed to close a gripper assuming relatively equal effort from all fingers (like in the dynamometer) is higher than the RGC rating. That being said, dynamometer strength is going to be higher than "actual" gripper poundage closing requirements, since you have better leverage in all your fingers. So, in theory, it should go:

RGC < Actual Gripper Poundage < Dynamometer.

Edited by avasatu
  • Like 1

Totally depends on the dynamo. I think the only way to know is to have a dynamo and track your progress, then you can compare how you progress.

I did that when I did RRBT and the dynamo I used had a handle you can adjust. I choose to have it set very wide because the results got too high when I had it set narrower. It's not the best way to check for crushing strength because the set was 60 mm. I noticed that my results got higher during the period when I did the most CCS with the grippers and when I started to train with a narrower set my results on the dynamo dropped. Best squeeze was 86.6 kg. My gripper strength was around 140 lb RGC. Before I started it was also around 20 kg more than on grippers RGC.

My opinion is that if you can squeeze 90kgs on a Dynamometer, you can CCS a Number 3. If you can squeeze 100kgs, your crush is better than 75% of all Captains of Crush. There's a few that know how to "trick the gadget", but they are just a few. I think it is possible to be below 85 and be able to Certify...

Edited by Hubgeezer

Does anyone have any thoughts on how grip dynamometer readings compare to RGC ratings? If someone gets can squeeze 150 lbs of pressure on a dynamometer, would this be the approximate equivalent of squeezing a 150 rated, choked gripper?

Edit: The topic should read "Dynamometer", not "Dynanometer".

I maxed out my 200lb dyno at work both hands with stabilizing it with my other hand but I'm nowhere near closing a 200lb gripper choked from the same distance. The max choked close I managed was a CoC 3.5 rated 179 from 13mm (it's somewhere in my youtube).

Avasatu brought up a good point about the theory behind these discrepancies.

Low 150s on a baseline digital, about 115 rgc on grippers, not quite parallel set.

• Like 1

I think it's important to catch that Eric was trying to compare dyno numbers to a rated CHOKED gripper. Still, I agree there would be a correlation that you could chart if you wanted, but the numbers are not going to line up like 150 rgc = 150 dyno.

And like anything else, it seems like this is going to be different for different people. Take me and Evan for example. It seems that he pulls almost 40lbs more than me on a Baseline dyno, and has my best choker close beat by at least 10 pounds. But I believe my MMS gripper max is more than his.

• Like 1

Yes it has to do with training. Like Chez mentioned, if you train with a dynamo you will get better. If you train with choked gripper you will get better at it, same thing for every set you can do. If you neglect one set you will stagnate or regress with that particular set.

Very dependent on the grip dyno...Richard Sorin has a dyno that moves to determine highest poundage throughout the ROM, which I tried finding but don't know the manufacturer. Also if you took a gripper and rated it from the area of the handle between middle and ring finger it may give you a number closer to dynamometer closes. I have done 190-195 on a dynamometer, have block closed a 165# RGC ® 158# (L) and 15mm choked a 185# GHP 8 both R and L (havent tried heavier).

And like anything else, it seems like this is going to be different for different people. Take me and Evan for example. It seems that he pulls almost 40lbs more than me on a Baseline dyno, and has my best choker close beat by at least 10 pounds. But I believe my MMS gripper max is more than his.

yes, you are MM1 and I'm MM0. Heaviest recorded close is my 148 no 3. I closed heavier 3s from 20mm choked and I felt the handles touching my rb 260 rated 155 but I don't think I should claim that I closed it until I have a good vid. Also Matt, notice that I'm holding the dyno with my other hand, that can be a 20 lb difference for me.

It is hard to put up numbers I think for correlation. It's the same as comparing the RGC with a plateloader. Say a gripper comes out 150lbs RGC, try loading up a plateloader to that weight and close it with one hand. You probably won't close it. Which distance would you set the handles? Is the resistance 150lbs from parallel, or does the resistance hit parallel in the last part of the close...and CCS and MMS hit different finger positioning and dogleg placement.

I once tried a dynamometer at my physical therapist and squeezed about 85kg, but the handles were very slippery, and I noticed a lot of different possibilities for handleplacement. That said, she was amazed by the numbers I produced haha

Carlos Pagan, certified #3.5 closer with dynamometer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa0KF-qDU0Q

Edited by Geralt