Feedback About Flask Event At Southern Squeeze

John McCarter

If I have an 'off day' I will still produce no less than 90% of my max. I think you need to look beyond having an 'off day' if someone lifts no more than 2/3 of their max. It is more likely that the 'new' implement has some 'odd' characteristics. Moreover please spare me the 'bro science' nonsense as the GB is not a peer-reviewed scientific journal.

6) (For the people who went to the contest) Take into consideration that physically someone cannot always perform at their optimal levels of strength when you factor in travel, sleep, nutrition, and if they are at 100% or not, will they have any chance of an off-day. (Was any of these aspects considered before a bro science approach was added?)

Edited by Mikael Siversson

If I have an 'off day' I will still produce no less than 90% of my max. I think you need to look beyond having an 'off day' if someone lifts no more than 2/3 of their max. It is more likely that the 'new' implement has some 'odd' characteristics. Moreover please spare me the 'bro science' nonsense as the GB is not a peer-reviewed scientific journal.

6) (For the people who went to the contest) Take into consideration that physically someone cannot always perform at their optimal levels of strength when you factor in travel, sleep, nutrition, and if they are at 100% or not, will they have any chance of an off-day. (Was any of these aspects considered before a bro science approach was added?)

You could do this every time? On command? At 90%?

If you are going to make these claims I'm demanding you back that up.

Also, I knew you start this. I suggest you buy one, try it out and if you don't like it NEVER USE IT!!!

Btw, learn to read deeper, I may have been talking about a pseudoscience.

• Like 7

As a pinch training device I think the Flask looks awesome and well thought out, but given the fact that the width is not adjustable I can't see it being "ideal" for use in competition.

In some small way I appear to be agreeing with Mikael. . . .and I am shocked.

One thing to mull over: Aluminium can dent up pretty easy. Yes, given the way the weights are loaded it "should" be quite difficult to damage the pinch surfaces or the top of the device. In comparison the 6mm steel Euro plates are not so easily damaged (but yes a bit of pitting is likely after extended use).

Were Vince Basile not banned from the GB this thread would definitely have turned epic in a polished stainless steel way. Given the solid contributions to date there is a good chance it still could! :grin:

Gather round readers.

Dave

And I can throw a shot put over 1000 feet.

• Like 2

Gil, how thick is the aluminium you use to make the flask, is it at risk of denting?

The aluminum is 1/8" 6061 which is a high strength alloy. I thought about using 1/4" when I designed it, but the 1/8" is so incredibly strong that I couldn't imagine needing more thickness. The aluminum could technically scratch if slammed against a piece of sharp steel with sufficient force, but that shouldn't be at all common with normal use.

• Like 1

Nevermind. Congrats on a great idea Gil, ill be ordering a flask asap.

Thanks! I appreciate the support.

• Like 2

Honestly, I'm tempted. Are you flooded with orders yet? I also see a simple design change for (quickly) adjustable width with minimal additional cost.

• Like 1

I just ordered one...I'm curious to see how it feels...either way it will be another cool grip toy

P.s. I enjoyed this thread

Edited by Dreadnought
  • Like 2

Honestly, I'm tempted. Are you flooded with orders yet? I also see a simple design change for (quickly) adjustable width with minimal additional cost.

I just ordered material to build 20 more. I will be very busy this weekend. 😉

• Like 3

I ordered a Flask the other day and I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I currently train 2HP on a

Mouse Pinch setup and also on a Euro setup, so I'm looking at the Flask as another great option to

throw into the mix. I'm thinking that for anybody who prefers to pinch at 58 mm, the Flask is the

perfect tool. Also, it seems to be a common complaint that it's difficult and sometimes impossible to train pinch at a commercial gym.......well, the Flask would certainly seem to be the perfect answer to that problem. At a weight of just 2 lbs, this thing is perfect for throwing in a gym bag along with a loading pin. I give Gil a lot of credit for this design, he saw a specific need and he addressed that need with this product. I'll write a full review once I've had a chance to train with my Flask.

• Like 4

Gil, how thick is the aluminium you use to make the flask, is it at risk of denting?

The aluminum is 1/8" 6061 which is a high strength alloy. I thought about using 1/4" when I designed it, but the 1/8" is so incredibly strong that I couldn't imagine needing more thickness. The aluminum could technically scratch if slammed against a piece of sharp steel with sufficient force, but that shouldn't be at all common with normal use.

I know that a 1/8 of an inch sound thin but there is no give on this implement implement at all. It was very sturdy and I think that has something to do with the internal structure as well. Gil I will be ordering one tomorrow so you might need to order enough material for 21 ;-)

• Like 1

I noticed that the flask had multiple holes on the side that looks to be for adjusting the height, how high or low was it set up for competition? And was that a magnetic cross bar set up, was it set to 6.5" to hit the cross bar?

Gil. How was the crossbar setup on the 2" v-bar. I like that better than me laying on the floor with a 2 block for reference.

• Like 2

I noticed that the flask had multiple holes on the side that looks to be for adjusting the height, how high or low was it set up for competition? And was that a magnetic cross bar set up, was it set to 6.5" to hit the cross bar?

The flask can be set up from 15-3/4" to 18-3/4". For the competition I set it to 15-3/4" and the magnetic crossbar setup was set for a 7.5" lift.

Gil. How was the crossbar setup on the 2" v-bar. I like that better than me laying on the floor with a 2 block for reference.

Yes, I made the magnetic crossbar setup and was very happy with how it performed in the competition. It costs about $15 in materials and just requires some sawing, gluing, and welding. The main advantage being that it was very easy to set up only taking a couple of seconds after each lift. For the v-bar, it made pretty much no difference in how long it took to add weight. When I get some time, I will make a video demonstrating how to build one.

• Like 1

Yes, I made the magnetic crossbar setup and was very happy with how it performed in the competition. It costs about $15 in materials and just requires some sawing, gluing, and welding. The main advantage being that it was very easy to set up only taking a couple of seconds after each lift. For the v-bar, it made pretty much no difference in how long it took to add weight. When I get some time, I will make a video demonstrating how to build one.

Yes please.

3) If you're bringing in some type of "bro-science" please provide actual evidence to support any claim instead of what you remember. And not just what you have done, it has to be measurable in someway where everyone can reproduce said claims.

I have no dog in this fight as I couldn't care less about the flask or the europinch. But I'm gonna have to say that demanding evidence to support claims on grip training pretty much screams scientific illiteracy to me. When it comes to lifting and strength training in general bro-science is pretty much the only thing we have at the moment. The absolute majority of studies made on strength training don't relate to what we're doing. They mostly relate to medical scenarios with recovering patients and such. Sure there are sport related studies but they are usually very specific and don't relate well to what we're doing. They especially don't relate to developing grip strength and how different grip implements correlates to grip strength or not. When it comes to our very niched activity, there are NO studies at all. So demanding evidence is redundant in this case. The best thing we have in our case is bro-science! Edited by David_wigren
  • Like 1

3) If you're bringing in some type of "bro-science" please provide actual evidence to support any claim instead of what you remember. And not just what you have done, it has to be measurable in someway where everyone can reproduce said claims.

I have no dog in this fight as I couldn't care less about the flask or the europinch. But I'm gonna have to say that demanding evidence to support claims on grip training pretty much screams scientific illiteracy to me. When it comes to lifting and strength training in general bro-science is pretty much the only thing we have at the moment. The absolute majority of studies made on strength training don't relate to what we're doing. They mostly relate to medical scenarios with recovering patients and such. Sure there are sport related studies but they are usually very specific and don't relate well to what we're doing. They especially don't relate to developing grip strength and how different grip implements correlates to grip strength or not. When it comes to our very niched activity, there are NO studies at all. So demanding evidence is redundant in this case. The best thing we have in our case is bro-science!

When I wrote that post, I was dicking around and being skeptical of someone's claims (training vs contest, which one is right and wrong; do you accept lifts only if they are performed in a contest). I was stating that if someone makes any claim about what they are doing they should in some way back it up (no matter what it is they claim). Please note, I'm not coming from a scientific point but more of skepticism (if I lift 40kg one hand with the euro can I do the same with plates? Is the euro the end all to be all devices?). I only made the connection to "bro science" because of what was being projected out in said claims. It was noted that Bob was having an off day and that man could out pinch me any day of the week and I'm claiming that as a fact. But what was also a fact was that he couldn't lift two 45's or the Inch; he was the closest to anyone there who could do it but it didn't happen.

The whole aspect of this thread was about feedback for a new type of equipment and one member took it upon their self to take the direction of the thread somewhere else based on their weird fetish towards the euro pinch. Like I stated, they should use it and if they don't like it, that's fine with me and they never have to touch one again.

Yes it would be awesome if Gil made different widths for that said device, that way people have something else to pinch at widthwise and thus that part of the debate could be over.