Feedback About Flask Event At Southern Squeeze

John McCarter

My point was to have a way to eliminate the slack. Irregardless of what the origin is of the slack

I understand....it's a good idea thanks

I played the slack off, stuff like that doesn't bother me and probably never will. I focus on the lift and cues. But I'm weak what do I know.

• 2 months later...

Now that I have seen a Flask in person I wonder if a hybrid of the Flask and the Euro would be the ultimate in true pinch competition...

Take the texture of the Flask but put it on round aluminum disks instead of steel Euro disks.
It might be slower in a competition,  but keep the thing adjustable so hand size is taken out of the equation.
That way, seasoning is nurtalized but people still can pick their optimal width to "keep it fair"

Or what about a competition with three lifts, but all are done on a Euro style device with aluminum outside plates.  Make everyone pinch narrow, medium and wide, and then the highest average wins.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, richcottrell said:

Or what about a competition with three lifts, but all are done on a Euro style device with aluminum outside plates.  Make everyone pinch narrow, medium and wide, and then the highest average wins.

I would think over time a Euro with aluminium plates would be a problems over time, aluminium is soft and being dropped time and time, even on mats would start to put flat spots on the edge and mushroom it out some.

• Like 3

One thing I have found due to my experience at work is metal stock finish varies at times - usual due to the mill batch changing, or due to the post-processing that may be done to it later in the forming process.  Gil would have to comment, but my recollection of the flask he brought to the Cactus Grip was that it had a slight brushed finish to it?  If that is the case, then the finish is probably due to the rolling process or any post-processing they do at the plant before the stock is shipped out, and is likely under fairly decent control.  

I had a chance to try out the flask a little bit, and I thought it was a great device. I plan on getting one once my personal situation reaches a better place.  My son enjoyed pulling it, and I think even more so than the wooden 2HP trainer I made last year.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bwwm said:

One thing I have found due to my experience at work is metal stock finish varies at times - usual due to the mill batch changing, or due to the post-processing that may be done to it later in the forming process.  Gil would have to comment, but my recollection of the flask he brought to the Cactus Grip was that it had a slight brushed finish to it?  If that is the case, then the finish is probably due to the rolling process or any post-processing they do at the plant before the stock is shipped out, and is likely under fairly decent control.  

I had a chance to try out the flask a little bit, and I thought it was a great device. I plan on getting one once my personal situation reaches a better place.  My son enjoyed pulling it, and I think even more so than the wooden 2HP trainer I made last year.  

First of all, I'm glad you and Marty liked the flask! To your question, the finish on the flask is one that I put on there myself with a sanding process. That way it holds chalk well and all of the devices are consistently and uniformly rough.

Edited by Squeezus
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Squeezus said:

First of all, I'm glad you and Marty liked the flask! To your question, the finish on the flask is one that I put on there myself with a sanding process. That way it holds chalk well and all of the devices are consistently and uniformly rough.

Ah then if you're doing the finish, you have complete control!  Awesome!  Sorry if I missed this point in your earlier posts.  

On 4/2/2016 at 0:16 AM, richcottrell said:

Now that I have seen a Flask in person I wonder if a hybrid of the Flask and the Euro would be the ultimate in true pinch competition...

Take the texture of the Flask but put it on round aluminum disks instead of steel Euro disks.
It might be slower in a competition,  but keep the thing adjustable so hand size is taken out of the equation.
That way, seasoning is nurtalized but people still can pick their optimal width to "keep it fair"

I got 1/4" aluminum plates and put it on my euro which decreased the weight of it to 35# from 60# but the texture is still much different than steel which mine is fairly new and not pitted. 

Lucas - do you think you'll pull more or less weight with the aluminum plates?  How does the surface compare to Jedd's 2HP?

Much less on the aluminum compared to steel. Jedd and my Euro's are much different; mine is newer with much smoother surface and much more rounded edges and Jedds is one of the originals and a slightly sharper edge which gives a good bite on the thumb webbing. On the aluminum plates when rested I can probably pull 5-8% less, no actually training numbers yet but will let you know

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lucasraymond said:

Much less on the aluminum compared to steel. Jedd and my Euro's are much different; mine is newer with much smoother surface and much more rounded edges and Jedds is one of the originals and a slightly sharper edge which gives a good bite on the thumb webbing. On the aluminum plates when rested I can probably pull 5-8% less, no actually training numbers yet but will let you know

Lucas, are your aluminum plates sanded at all or are they still smooth from the mill?

I used 60 grit sandpaper to roughen them up

Could it be that the weight distribution changes things?  Less weight in the center from the alum plates - more weight plate weight away from the center.  I have no clue of course but didn't Mikeal (or someone) talk about this some time back - maybe in relation to using plywood spacers over rubber?  Of course it could be the texture difference along with sharper edges is all of it?  Or maybe it doesn't matter?

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

Could it be that the weight distribution changes things?  Less weight in the center from the alum plates - more weight plate weight away from the center.  I have no clue of course but didn't Mikeal (or someone) talk about this some time back - maybe in relation to using plywood spacers over rubber?  Of course it could be the texture difference along with sharper edges is all of it?  Or maybe it doesn't matter?

Paul Knight said an Engineer told him the more weight you can get in your hands the better, but I don't think it matters that much.

• Like 1

Well, the more weight away from the center of your hands, the more rotational moment the device will have.  So if you are trying to tilt the object, that moment will work against you, but if you are just trying to pick it up, the rotational momentum will not effect that.

25 minutes ago, bwwm said:

Well, the more weight away from the center of your hands, the more rotational moment the device will have.  So if you are trying to tilt the object, that moment will work against you, but if you are just trying to pick it up, the rotational momentum will not effect that.

It only matters if you are trying to tilt it hard. which is damn near impossible anyway in the higher weights unless the device is not evenly loaded. Which is specifically against the rules anyway.

• Like 2