Double Overhand Axle Deadlift World Record

BillyBrothers

No one is disputing that they are very good. Nonetheless Mike Burke would dominate DH and probably Steve as well in a grip contest based on the 'big three'. Mike would most likely beat DH by 20% or thereabouts in the axle and would probably beat DH in grippers as well as he has demonstrated extreme gripper strength by certifying on the #3.5 and I think he did so after a comp of some sort so DH doing this or that with a 20mm block will probably not be enough. Mike would most likely easily lift what is required in the 2HP to stay ahead.

He would not dominate them at all, they would both beat him at two events, him beat them both at one (ccs yes he would maybe beat steve, maybe, but not block). If a guy like mike burke put the same sickening deadication in year in year out to grip like steve does, yes, then he would dominate them, but that's not happened and as far as i'm aware, mike has now retired from the strength game. All we can do is look at contest history, that's why im saying these guys are better than the rest, they have better, proven results over time. I'm not saying it because they are british, that has nothing to do with it.

I look forward to see their results in grippers and the axle on the NAGS lists so we can stop guessing.

I look forward to see their results in grippers and the axle on the NAGS lists so we can stop guessing.

It's not guessing, steve has done 200lb+ gripper over in america in contest, david has done = to steve on the vulcan or a level behind in contest 20mm block set, both there pinch is already on the list, and you see steves very solid and held 216kg axle lift in the european championships in the above video. I don't know what qualifies for that list but it's basically all there in major contest results.

I thought we talked about current strength or at least rather recent? I once competed against DH in grippers and guess how that ended. Does 2003 count:)?

In all fairness it should be mentioned that I was in peak form in grippers at that contest whereas David was not. Also his setting technique back then was beyond horrible so he did well everything considered.

Depending on Mike's 2HP strength it would be closer between him and Steve with both in peak form. Again this is not a comparison of pound-for-pound athleticism in grip as DH is clearly one of the very best given his BW no matter how you look at it.

No one is disputing that they are very good. Nonetheless Mike Burke would dominate DH and probably Steve as well in a grip contest based on the 'big three'. Mike would most likely beat DH by 20% or thereabouts in the axle and would probably beat DH in grippers as well as he has demonstrated extreme gripper strength by certifying on the #3.5 and I think he did so after a comp of some sort so DH doing this or that with a 20mm block will probably not be enough. Mike would most likely easily lift what is required in the 2HP to stay ahead.

He would not dominate them at all, they would both beat him at two events, him beat them both at one (ccs yes he would maybe beat steve, maybe, but not block). If a guy like mike burke put the same sickening deadication in year in year out to grip like steve does, yes, then he would dominate them, but that's not happened and as far as i'm aware, mike has now retired from the strength game. All we can do is look at contest history, that's why im saying these guys are better than the rest, they have better, proven results over time. I'm not saying it because they are british, that has nothing to do with it.

It's hard to make current comparisons as all of us, Mike included, are not arguably at our strongest. Mike is, according to one reply above, retired so that negates him. My next competition doesn't have a max axle (every time I pushed it with no training last year I seemed to hit 190 without too many problems) - it's a timed hold event. I'm not training grippers at all right now until after the event. Finally it's a one hand pinch. So who knows what I can do today??

It's hard to make current comparisons as all of us, Mike included, are not arguably at our strongest. Mike is, according to one reply above, retired so that negates him. My next competition doesn't have a max axle (every time I pushed it with no training last year I seemed to hit 190 without too many problems) - it's a timed hold event. I'm not training grippers at all right now until after the event. Finally it's a one hand pinch. So who knows what I can do today??

It sounded like he's done from what he was saying about last years worlds strongest man being his last contest - shame if so, lot of potential, but then again not everyone carries on till there your eld age haha
  • Like 1

I emailed R Strossen to ask him if he knew anything about Burke retiring. He replied saying he thought he was taking a break and may have been focusing on his business (he is a framing contractor in the construction business).

In January, 2014, I asked Mike how long he was going to compete. He said "as long as my knees hold up". He told me that he had been lifting weights for four years. I asked him incredulously ""Four years? That's it?" He said that was correct...

Burke versus Horne on any day during 2013 or 2014 would have been no contest. The Mighty Mitts contest in Ohio in March of 2014...Burke went 15 for 15 in the medley. He would not have had any experience in those implements. He simply "goes for it". If he dedicated training to "grip" (instead of just thick bar and some gripper work), he would be FAR ahead of anyone to date.

In recent years, David has tended to have contests featuring implements invented designed and sold by David.

As far as I know, I am the only one on the planet who has "competed" in the same contest as David, Burke, and Chris James. In 2007, in England, Chris James was injured after three of the five events (torn bicep from the one-inch Vertical Bar). His two hand pinch on that day was 80kg I believe. Had he finished the contest, he would have finished third behind Horne and Gardener. That day, Gardener lost to David by less than one point out of a possible 500.

I am not sure there is anyone who "competes" who is as serious and methodical and scientific as David Horne. That has a lot to do with his success. Mike Burke on the other hand...practically "reckless" the way he shoots for things.

I don't think that the IronMind "Fit Expo" contests are the best judge of grip contests. Burke dominates. I don't think that the Mighty Mitts represented the best of a grip contest. Burke dominated the 2014 one in which he fully competed.

I don't think that the International same day contests that David runs are the best representation of grip contests. David cleans house with those. Burke has never competed.

The format I would like to see anyone compete in, the best test in the world, are the US contests held in Ohio run by Andrew. In the Summer of 2013, I mentioned that to Burke. He sounded intrigued, and chimed in "Andrew's a good guy, yeah, sounds good". Love to see him, David, Alex, Rich, Chris James, Steve Gardener, and the usual gang of participants (plus Chad and Wade) in it. It is, in my book, the best overall test of a balanced approach to grip strength.

Despite the efforts of many fine people over the years, something like this has never happened. And, unlikely it ever will either. So, we will all just speculate and pontificate.

• Like 2

I dont feel like it's any kind of issue that david creates and sells the kit for as comps as they are very good tests of what they are designed for. Vulcan, adjustable thickbar, euro pinch, half penny, wrist developer, pick axe etc all great tests of what they are designed for and everybody can get them and train them. Also they don't cater for larger handed advantage like a lot of the other contests, which is obviously more fair (this being said by someone with larger hands). It's also a proper international contest with worlds, which of course you would not get if held in america etc The only issue i personally have is that it only has 4 events, i think 5 or 6 would be a more true test, find more weaknesses etc

• Like 1

The 'big three' are only very slightly skewed towards competitors with large hands. Grippers with a 20mm block set does not in any shape or form favour someone with large hands, on the contrary I would say. The 2HP is obviously hand size neutral whereas the axle favours competitors with large hands but not as much as one would perhaps think. I don't have huge hands (8'') but I am better the thicker it gets relatively speaking as I can apply pressure more easily with my thumbs if the implement is thick.

If you go overboard in attempts to avoid anything that might possibly favour large, strong hands it almost becomes comical. A bit like attaching springs to the shoes of shorter people so they can compete on 'equal terms' with tall players in basketball.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

On ‎11‎.‎02‎.‎2016 at 2:32 AM, Hubgeezer said:

Burke versus Horne on any day during 2013 or 2014 would have been no contest. The Mighty Mitts contest in Ohio in March of 2014...Burke went 15 for 15 in the medley. He would not have had any experience in those implements. He simply "goes for it". If he dedicated training to "grip" (instead of just thick bar and some gripper work), he would be FAR ahead of anyone to date.

In recent years, David has tended to have contests featuring implements invented designed and sold by David.

As far as I know, I am the only one on the planet who has "competed" in the same contest as David, Burke, and Chris James. In 2007, in England, Chris James was injured after three of the five events (torn bicep from the one-inch Vertical Bar). His two hand pinch on that day was 80kg I believe. Had he finished the contest, he would have finished third behind Horne and Gardener. That day, Gardener lost to David by less than one point out of a possible 500.

I am not sure there is anyone who "competes" who is as serious and methodical and scientific as David Horne. That has a lot to do with his success. Mike Burke on the other hand...practically "reckless" the way he shoots for things.

I don't think that the IronMind "Fit Expo" contests are the best judge of grip contests. Burke dominates. I don't think that the Mighty Mitts represented the best of a grip contest. Burke dominated the 2014 one in which he fully competed.

I don't think that the International same day contests that David runs are the best representation of grip contests. David cleans house with those. Burke has never competed.

The format I would like to see anyone compete in, the best test in the world, are the US contests held in Ohio run by Andrew. In the Summer of 2013, I mentioned that to Burke. He sounded intrigued, and chimed in "Andrew's a good guy, yeah, sounds good". Love to see him, David, Alex, Rich, Chris James, Steve Gardener, and the usual gang of participants (plus Chad and Wade) in it. It is, in my book, the best overall test of a balanced approach to grip strength.

Despite the efforts of many fine people over the years, something like this has never happened. And, unlikely it ever will either. So, we will all just speculate and pontificate.

Great post. Summed it up very good in my opinion.

• Like 1

Mikael - I wouldn't say davids comps go over the top to not favour big handed guys, they just make it fair. Euro pinch doesnt favour any hand size, same with adjustable thickbar or stub lift or wrist developer etc they are all basically the same for anyone. Looking at events of this years worlds strongest hands, id actually say it still favours big hands to a decent degree. Two events dont favour a hand size and then two events favour big hands.

Guys it's still nice to be chatted about still at my age of 53 (54 this year!). Strength wise I believe I was at my peak in the 1990s, grip wise probably in the 2000s. Now I have fun on what I fancy. Also I still do other strength sports too (last year Brit Armwrestling Champs 3rd, and came 2nd in the WAL qualifier). I have also been ill for two years so believe me I am very pleased with whatever I do!!

As for my ability in various areas. On thick bar plenty ahead of me. Grippers plenty ahead of me, but I do get better on these when I train on them, and my best period was about 2010 with a long period of training/setting/etc. Pinch lift I'm always up there, and with some assistance work, etc can knock on the door of the WR again. Wrists are always pretty strong and can do absolutely fine. Endurance and other stuff is fine too. I think this is an honest appraisal of myself.

Oh and Mikael, 2003 was a month after I buried my dad, remember? I hadn't done any real training, and also Arne, Kalle, and all the guys kept great care of me on my visit! Great people.

26 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

I did mention that you were not in peak form during that contest.

When your dad and best friend dies you can never forget, the pain still plagues me now. Now my mother has dementia, and it is equally tough but different. Sweden was a super time nonetheless, and I have visited three times now. I still chat to Arne, Kalle and Benny on facebook.

It was a great contest even though I snapped my wrist and gave Benny that last lift in RT which was wrong. You won that contest had we not allowed Benny a fifth lift because he forgot the rules.

10 minutes ago, Mikael Siversson said:

It was a great contest even though I snapped my wrist and gave Benny that last lift in RT which was wrong. You won that contest had we not allowed Benny a fifth lift because he forgot the rules.

It's never an easy job refereeing, and to be honest in this amateur sport we do a bloody good job, especially compared to various 'pro' sports. I've promoted strength contests since the late 1980s, and the only reason to do it is for the fun of it. I've been so lucky to have met a lot of fantastic people over that time.