Ironmind Records

avasatu

Training numbers are training numbers, and competition numbers are what matters...to me at least. A lot of people in all different sports are saying they only compete with them selves and to improve their personal records. For me that's not the case. I've always wanted to outlift the best guys in their best shape. It's different ways to look at things. I respect people who can be motivated and dedicated without competitions.

BTW, in Norways Strongest Grip competition next weekend we will shoot for a new WR in the blockbuster :)

Good luck to you guys! I am much more interested in the 1" vbar numbers. It's been quite a while since I've seen that in a standard grip contest. Are you guys using an FBBC 1" vbar or an LGC version or another type?
At first we were thinking of just using a 1" loading pin, but my buddy Karl made a 25mm aluminium pipe with length of around 6" that connects to a loading pin with a carabiner. We landed on this handle, and we will have a lifting height of 4".
  • Like 1

Training numbers are training numbers, and competition numbers are what matters...to me at least. A lot of people in all different sports are saying they only compete with them selves and to improve their personal records. For me that's not the case. I've always wanted to outlift the best guys in their best shape. It's different ways to look at things. I respect people who can be motivated and dedicated without competitions.

BTW, in Norways Strongest Grip competition next weekend we will shoot for a new WR in the blockbuster :)

Good luck to you guys! I am much more interested in the 1" vbar numbers. It's been quite a while since I've seen that in a standard grip contest. Are you guys using an FBBC 1" vbar or an LGC version or another type?
At first we were thinking of just using a 1" loading pin, but my buddy Karl made a 25mm aluminium pipe with length of around 6" that connects to a loading pin with a carabiner. We landed on this handle, and we will have a lifting height of 4".

Sounds pretty cool! Thanks for the response.

The resistance against formal grip competitions was pretty widespread on the GB when Swedes and Brits (mainly me and David Horne) tried to encourage formal grip comps in the US some 10 years ago. Same applies to the introduction of weighed ("calibrated") weight plates for comps.

You never hear the top guys in the various weight classes complain about official competitions. It always seems to be those who do not have what it takes to excel in front of a crowd under strictly controlled conditions. Instead they seem to prefer to wait for the optimal moment in their secure home environment before they grab a camera and record it. These individuals typically have a specific and commonly more-or-less obscure pet lift.

Dude i just have never actually heard anyone complian like you describe about comps, or not being able to make them. In regards to my decisions, I dont need or owe a valid excuse to anyone for not going to a lot of comps. I simply dont want to go. If anyone wants to think into it more than that, or conjure up in thier head something completely different from my true intent, then that is on them. But if you like, i will do my best to make the next comp you are at and out perform and out lift you in every way.

No I was not thinking of you specifically.

You never hear the top guys in the various weight classes complain about official competitions. It always seems to be those who do not have what it takes to excel in front of a crowd under strictly controlled conditions. Instead they seem to prefer to wait for the optimal moment in their secure home environment before they grab a camera and record it. These individuals typically have a specific and commonly more-or-less obscure pet lift.

hi Mikael, if you are talking about my post I wasn't complaining, I was really happy with my overall performance, I was just stating some facts why contest lifts can be challenging, at least for me. I only competed in grip sport once. Also as others mentioned, it is possible that because of the adrenaline rush and pressure you actually do better and your contest lifts are new PRs, I think it happens frequently. As for excelling in front of a crowd to be honest there is more crowd when I train at my gym than at grip sport comps, but yea there is still pressure knowing that your results will be 'official' and you are also competing against others.

When I competed in grip sports, powerlifting, and strongman, I never once felt any kind of nerves or crowd pressure. Now that I am training my son and he has all the state and World Reocrds under his belt he states the same. He says he never notices the crowd, never hears them despite staring right at them in the squats and deadlifts. He focuses solely on my voice and my cues and almost always lifts more in competition than in the garage.

There are many out there that train hard that just chose to not compete and not Youtube it. Does that mean they crack under pressure or are afraid? Nope. Just means they train for a deeper purpose.

• Like 1

I got to love being in front of the crowd when I transitioned from being a "gym lifter" with respect to PR's to a "contest lifter" with respect to PR's. I got a huge adrenaline kick that could not be duplicated in the comfort of my own training environment.

• Like 2

I you don't want to compete thats's fine. If you lift for personal reasons that is your business and more power to you! Just don't expect anyone to accept your Youtube video as a world record. And honestly, the second you start bragging about world class lifting, then you're obviously lifting for competitive reasons. Otherwise you wouldn't bother needing to convince other people how strong you are.

• Like 2

And honestly, the second you start bragging about world class lifting, then you're obviously lifting for competitive reasons. Otherwise you wouldn't bother needing to convince other people how strong you are.

I totally agree with this. Sometimes people state that certifications/comps etc aren't important to them since they don't care to compare themselves to others and only lift for themselves yet they post all their PRs on forums, youtube, facebook and I'm like :huh:. All of us who post our lifts have a little bit of competitiveness and ego. I don't think there is anything wrong with it as long as its friendly. Competition drives us to great things.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

I don't at all recall who these people are and I don't have time to check, but there are YTers lifting near 120 or more on the Blockbuster, and I have seen a 130 lb hub and a couple near that or at least in the vicinity. Those numbers are wildly above the world records of 80 and 85 lbs that IM recognizes. Not calling these YTers dishonest. In fact, I'm more wondering how IM hasn't come across someone who can cert between 80 and 120 on these implements ASSUMING the honesty of these people.

Also, I think it is disingenuous to blame competition nerves and things of that nature in this case. These numbers are freakishly higher than the listed WRs.

Edited by avasatu

I don't at all recall who these people are and I don't have time to check, but there are YTers lifting near 120 or more on the Blockbuster, and I have seen a 130 lb hub and a couple near that or at least in the vicinity. Those numbers are wildly above the world records of 80 and 85 lbs that IM recognizes. Not calling these YTers dishonest. In fact, I'm more wondering how IM hasn't come across someone who can cert between 80 and 120 on these implements ASSUMING the honesty of these people.

Also, I think it is disingenuous to blame competition nerves and things of that nature in this case. These numbers are freakishly higher than the listed WRs.

So do you know what hub they were using? That could be the difference.

I think you may be mentioning the numbers I lifted on those tools.

I should mention that those numbers I lifted on the hub were pushing it beyond what the body is meant to lift. Could I do it again in a contest setting? Not at this point since I don't use the hub and I sold my IM pinch block.

Only reason I didn't get more on the hub in a contest was having to pick the right numbers since I only had 4 attempts. It was my first contest and I didn't know what I was going to do.

Do I care about going after world records at this point for those tools? Not in any way considering I have better things to focus my time on. If I go to a contest it will be for my own reasons.

Speaking of freaky performances Tommy, the next thing your gonna tell us is that you've bent a Gold Nail. Naw...no one is crazy enough to claim that.

I guess i am lost here. It seems to me that this thread went way left field.

Who is everyone talking about?

Who is the guy that claims world records that isnt competing?

Is there a specific case in the grip world that someone is claiming a world record of some sort that refuses to compete?

Okay, I have one. No one has ever heard it, because I never posted about it.

Summer, 2013, San Jose Fit Expo. I was "competing" (if you want to call it that), and I was real excited because there were three "Big Time" strength athletes in the mix: Mike Burke, Alexey T., and Rich Williams. Rich and Burke were to be picked up at the airport on Friday night, but I could not do it. The contest was on Sunday. I got word on Saturday that Rich was not competing. I got to the venue early Sunday morning, and ran into Burke walking towards the Grip area. He didn't remember me from a couple of times at the LA Fit Expo, so I introduced myself. "What happened?", I asked. Burke went into a quasi tirade ( I don't think he understood why Rich backed out at the last minute), and then said something about Rich having posted something ( video) the previous night, after he backed out of the contest, where Rich was pulling more than what the then current world record was on the Double Overhand Axle Deadlift. Burke was hot. I arrived at the Grip area, and asked Odd. Odd just shook his head, was sad and upset. Randy Strossen had just had his emergency eye surgery (detached retina) a few days earlier, and was not feeling well and was a bit tight lipped. Will never know the story as to why Rich did not make the trip. I think it was something about missing a plane, and then not wanting to deal with the hassle of catching another one.

However, according to Mike Burke, he wanted everyone to know that he could pull more than the current world record, and posted it the night before the contest. So this is not just limited "to the Gripboard", stuff like this happens.

The only good news? Best contest of my life. A number of Pro Strongmen in the contest besides those guys. Somehow, with the events, everyone doing lousy on the Little Big Horn, I ended up with Third Place! That will never happen again...Actually, there was a lot of good news. It was a fantastic competition, and Amy Wattles set multiple records for women. but I never told the Rich story, as it seemed a bit petty. But Tommy, you asked...

It could be that so few contests actually have hub and blockbuster anymore it seems, so that the world record hasn't had a chance to be pushed, now that I think about it. I assume that there is no way outside contest to have a world record on an implement unless you physically either go to IM or have someone from IM come directly to you, after all.

I you don't want to compete thats's fine. If you lift for personal reasons that is your business and more power to you! Just don't expect anyone to accept your Youtube video as a world record. And honestly, the second you start bragging about world class lifting, then you're obviously lifting for competitive reasons. Otherwise you wouldn't bother needing to convince other people how strong you are.

I'm far from a world class lifter. But I can live vicariously through my son who is and has done it in legit meets under strict rules. How many here can raise their hand that they have deadlifted triple bodyweight by age 12?

It could be that so few contests actually have hub and blockbuster anymore it seems, so that the world record hasn't had a chance to be pushed, now that I think about it. I assume that there is no way outside contest to have a world record on an implement unless you physically either go to IM or have someone from IM come directly to you, after all.

Yeah, there's just not a demand for those lifts in contest right now

I did contact Ironmind about the blockbuster world record they stated they prefer the blockbuster to be done in a contest setting. The only contest I've seen do any type of pinch blocks will be for this Saturday that Gil Goodman is hosting and it's different from what you encounter from other pinch blocks.

• Like 1

This is by far one of the best posts I have ever read on the GB. There are so many world class lifters out there that dont compete, and as you said, once a youtube video surfaces, watch out.

I couldnt bench press 60 pounds when I was 12 and first started lifting. I watch in awe as my own 12 year old reps 85 pounds for 20. He squatted 155 for 5x5 last night then did a 6th set of 15! Nothing but a belt and still at around 103 from the stomach bug. Kid wasn't even breathing hard. WTF?

Just because something hasn't been done yet in competition doesn't mean it is impossible.

• Like 2

This reminds me of Alabama's Derrick Henry. Video surfaced of him squatting 500 and the haters blew up saying how weak he is "only" squatting 500. He has a Heisman Trophy, National Title, a huge pay check waiting on him in the NFL. Do you think he gives a shit about youtube comments on his 500 pound squat????? He is laughing all the waynto the bank.

No one is complaining these vids aren't at a comp. My sole purpose for posting this thread was attempting to retrieve an explanation for why there are 150% gaps between IM records and unofficial records for the hub and bb.

No one is complaining these vids aren't at a comp. My sole purpose for posting this thread was attempting to retrieve an explanation for why there are 150% gaps between IM records and unofficial records for the hub and bb.

The answer I can give you, there's just not a lot of interest in these lifts for competitions at the moment and if no one is considering using these tools in a contest then the records can never be broken; if that's the case then plenty of people with the right amount of training can best the world records and never have those records recognized for their effort if they are using them.

I'm sure there will come a time where new records will fall on those tools, but it comes down to time being the factor in when a person will host a contest for them.

• Like 3

The hub can be held several ways, ironmind has specific rules on how the hub is to be held. This limits the weight that can be lifted in comparison to other methods. Its kinda like the amount of wrapping you use on steel bar, impressive feats can be achieved either way, they're just different. I don't know jack about the blockbuster though.