Ironmind Records

avasatu

All of you who complain that it is too hard to find a meet need to be quiet. If I can do it anyone else can. I have two options if I want to compete, North America or Europe and I live in Perth, Australia.

No.

Your own personally anecdotal evidence used there doesn't even come close to negating the facts of the number of people following the world of grip vs. the turn out at contests. Access and convenience to go to one is a big factor.

I'm trying to cultivate local interest and I want to host a contest in the coming year on the west coast because there are so few of them people could go to.

You must not hunt or fish very often then :)

Has to start after noon? Wow - that must limit you at times :).

Also to be fair the same guy with all those incredible garage lifts for the hub didnt even get close to those numbers at a contest. This substantiates that there is a major difference between training PRs and contest lifts. The mental side of contests and preparing for the myriad of challenges (fatigue, time of day, pressure, being rushed, etc) is a strength in and of itself.

For some people the opposite is true. The extra pressure and adrenaline from a contest makes them preform way better than in training.
Edited by Grind

Also to be fair the same guy with all those incredible garage lifts for the hub didnt even get close to those numbers at a contest. This substantiates that there is a major difference between training PRs and contest lifts. The mental side of contests and preparing for the myriad of challenges (fatigue, time of day, pressure, being rushed, etc) is a strength in and of itself.

For some people the opposite is true. The extra pressure and adrenaline from a contest makes them preform way better than in training.

There have been some interesting write ups in various places about training versus competition lifters - personality types, aggressiveness, etc. I think Tommy Kono had one in one of his books but there are others too. It's an interesting subject matter that we all know about but I don't know of many (any) studies on the subject. If you find anything - please let me know.

My only complaint as far as competition goes is the drive. My circumstances are different. I just can't up and go on a whim. I have to carefully plan and replan. Cost of said trip is another factor, must be nice to go whereever whenever. Not everyone has that luxury.

My only complaint as far as competition goes is the drive. My circumstances are different. I just can't up and go on a whim. I have to carefully plan and replan. Cost of said trip is another factor, must be nice to go whereever whenever. Not everyone has that luxury.

It's pretty easy for me now that I'm retired (but I still have two part time jobs so I can do things) but it's tough for anyone with a job - kids - tight finances - not close to anything - and on and on. It takes some planning and possible sacrifices - that's for sure. But if you want it bad enough - you'll find a way to go once in a while.

Edited by climber511

Totally agree with Tommy! I really enjoy golf...but my group of friends like to go early most of the time. So I don't go as much as I like because of that. I get up early all week for work...don't need my hobby to feel like work.

So, the days I don't go, I practice in the yard all day- after I get up late! It's actually made me better lol.

You guys wouldn't make very good Alpine Climbers - Lots of times I start around 2 AM :).

• Like 1

You guys wouldn't make very good Alpine Climbers - Lots of times I start around 2 AM :).

Holy moly!

Does it have anything to do with oxygen?.. Or i guess i mean, is it more beneficial physically to start in the dark?.. I have no clue. Lol

Climbing does interest me, but i know so little about it that im not even sure if i ask intelligent questions on it.

It has to do with weather. Most mountains develop afternoon thunderstorms so you want to be back down before the lightening starts banging around - thus an early start. On snow covered mountains, the afternoon sun makes the snow soft and you sink in instead of walking on top - so it's much harder - thus an early start - again.

This does not apply to shorter rock climbs at all.

That's different...I can stay up long into the night. 2:00am is doable for me. I don't know how well I'd climb with a lack of sleep, but I could do it.

Could you explain why you think a video of doing something where everything is clearly legitimate is in somewhat less acceptable or relevant then something done in a comp?

I think online video is a record of some sort, and it stays permanently on the internet like anything else we post. It's just not recognizable by all relevant organizations but it's usually recognized by the community. We post vids here all the time for feat judging or training. If the video is not something that is recognized by established organizations I guess we can call it "unofficial" instead of "official" if it's a world record. To me it is as impressive as being done in an actual comp. For me the tough part of the comp is to make sure that by my last attempt I m lifting my max, it s difficult for me to figure that out. For example I felt I could have pulled more on the 2.5 crusher at King Kong but I used all my attempts. I do have a youtube vid lifting more both on the vbar and 2.5 crusher. Another thing I had difficulty with is choosing which hand to use, once you choose one hand you can only lift with that hand. For the shallow hub I lifted with my left and couldn't lift anything after my first attempt and at the end I lifted the wt with my right like it was nothing. I guess the best thing for one is to do good in comps and also have online vids to back it up if anyone doubts him (works both ways). One could also argue that an online video is more legit than some comps where there is no video proof.

about gripper closes discussed above I think it will always be a challenge in official comps or online vids . To me rgc tag is not as important as showing the stamps and the spring. If you close a number 3 CCS for example we know its very unlikley to be lighter than ~140 rgc or much heavier than 155 rgc. I guess even though grippers RGC values vary we can have a fair estimate of the difficulty level of the gripper based on the collective rgc data we have.

• Like 1

I guess I'm unable to articulate the differences that I feel exist - or maybe it's a generational gap due to my age. You Tube provides a record of course (in this case "record" means showing that something was done). It may or may not provide even a shred of proof of the weight correctness etc. It will not be recognized by any organization for THEIR purposes as a "record" (in this case "record" means the biggest lift ever done under the auspices of THEIR organization/federation's rules). People talk of IronMind "records" - I can't find where IM actually holds any competitions at all. There are of course comps held by others using IM equipment where various "records" are claimed (meaning IM implements were used). IronMind itself has "certs" with lists but no official "records" listings for their various implements that I can find on Randal's site. Now Randal "is" IronMind so he may recognize certain lifts done on his equipment - he may also not recognize others. People all over the world claim this (whatever lift) as a WR because to their knowledge no one has lifted more - but where did they go to actually research that someone else didn't claim more weight done on You Tube a few days before?

Confused yet? The whole term "World Record" has become rather confusing at best - and a train wreck at it's worst.

You never hear the top guys in the various weight classes complain about official competitions. It always seems to be those who do not have what it takes to excel in front of a crowd under strictly controlled conditions. Instead they seem to prefer to wait for the optimal moment in their secure home environment before they grab a camera and record it. These individuals typically have a specific and commonly more-or-less obscure pet lift.

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 2

I guess I'm unable to articulate the differences that I feel exist - or maybe it's a generational gap due to my age. You Tube provides a record of course (in this case "record" means showing that something was done). It may or may not provide even a shred of proof of the weight correctness etc. It will not be recognized by any organization for THEIR purposes as a "record" (in this case "record" means the biggest lift ever done under the auspices of THEIR organization/federation's rules). People talk of IronMind "records" - I can't find where IM actually holds any competitions at all. There are of course comps held by others using IM equipment where various "records" are claimed (meaning IM implements were used). IronMind itself has "certs" with lists but no official "records" listings for their various implements that I can find on Randal's site. Now Randal "is" IronMind so he may recognize certain lifts done on his equipment - he may also not recognize others. People all over the world claim this (whatever lift) as a WR because to their knowledge no one has lifted more - but where did they go to actually research that someone else didn't claim more weight done on You Tube a few days before?

Confused yet? The whole term "World Record" has become rather confusing at best - and a train wreck at it's worst.

good points Chris i understand what you are saying, btw a cool feature of youtube is that you can do advance search for the last 24hrs or last week or last month, so you'll find out if anyone else has attempted the same lift. Regarding video vs comp the recent controversial silver bullet new record comes to mind. If that guy had youtube videos showing clearly that it's a no 3 (showing Stamp and measuring the spring) and doing similar time holding the bullet then no one would doubt him. Now most if not the entire grip community thinks he cheated regardless if it happened during official comp.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

You never hear the top guys in the various weight classes complain about official competitions. It always seems to be those who do not have what it takes to excel in front of a crowd under strictly controlled conditions. Instead they seem to prefer to wait for the optimal moment in their secure home environment before they grab a camera and record it. These individuals typically have a specific and commonly more-or-less obscure pet lift.

hi Mikael, if you are talking about my post I wasn't complaining, I was really happy with my overall performance, I was just stating some facts why contest lifts can be challenging, at least for me. I only competed in grip sport once. Also as others mentioned, it is possible that because of the adrenaline rush and pressure you actually do better and your contest lifts are new PRs, I think it happens frequently. As for excelling in front of a crowd to be honest there is more crowd when I train at my gym than at grip sport comps, but yea there is still pressure knowing that your results will be 'official' and you are also competing against others.

• Like 1

Climber, ironmond has official records listed for at least hub, blockbuster, and I believe little big horn on their site.

I stand corrected - pretty cool! With my utterly amazing lack of computer skills - I have missed this for however long it has been there :)

I don't remember who I heard it from. But I thought of a pretty good quote regarding performance at a competition vs at the comfort at your home/gym/garage. If you take a regular wooden board, like a 2 by 4 or something and you place it on the ground. It's easy to balance and walk over it. But place that same board between two buildings 100 feet up in the air and it's a whole different ball game. Performing at a competition is not only a test of strength but a test of nerves aswell!

• Like 2

Training numbers are training numbers, and competition numbers are what matters...to me at least. A lot of people in all different sports are saying they only compete with them selves and to improve their personal records. For me that's not the case. I've always wanted to outlift the best guys in their best shape. It's different ways to look at things. I respect people who can be motivated and dedicated without competitions.

BTW, in Norways Strongest Grip competition next weekend we will shoot for a new WR in the blockbuster :)

• Like 2

Training numbers are training numbers, and competition numbers are what matters...to me at least. A lot of people in all different sports are saying they only compete with them selves and to improve their personal records. For me that's not the case. I've always wanted to outlift the best guys in their best shape. It's different ways to look at things. I respect people who can be motivated and dedicated without competitions.

BTW, in Norways Strongest Grip competition next weekend we will shoot for a new WR in the blockbuster :)

Good Luck to all!

This discussion reminds me of my days on the football field. There were guys who were studs in practice and in the weight room, but could not perform on the field. This was for a variety of reasons: nerves, lack of adaptability to new environments, etc.

I was one of those guys to a point. I did ok - all county a few times - but my performance in practice and the weight room suggested I would be all state. I was a smart player and a hard worker, but I got very nervous before games. I lacked that killer instinct when the need for it arose.

I imagine the same thing applies to grip comps. Not in your gym, not when you feel like it, and surrounded by virtual strangers.

So I'm with Chris wholeheartedly on this issue.

When I powerlifted, I did better at meets due to the competitive atmosphere and the hype of it all. I imagine these things are only heightened by the coziness and camaraderie of a small garage grip competition. That being said, I have neither competed in grip, nor am I anyone else but me, so I certainly find it believable that nerves could get you if you were a certain type of personality.

• Like 1

Good luck to you guys! I am much more interested in the 1" vbar numbers. It's been quite a while since I've seen that in a standard grip contest. Are you guys using an FBBC 1" vbar or an LGC version or another type?