Ironmind Records

avasatu

Why does Ironmind seem to have such seemingly low World Records on their site for things like Hub and Blockbuster? I suspect it's because you have to do the lift under certain conditions. Does anyone know these conditions?

• Like 1

IronMind has all the information on their site - rules etc. One thing is that there are different hubs made by different companies - when looking at any records, you need to know exactly what equipment was used - the finish is quite slick on some items and that can account for things. Another thing is the "grip" allowed - there is more than one way to grasp a hub.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

Why does Ironmind seem to have such seemingly low World Records on their site for things like Hub and Blockbuster? I suspect it's because you have to do the lift under certain conditions. Does anyone know these conditions?

You go lift over 80lbs on the hub or Blockbuster and tell me it feels light :grin:. Yes there are some guys that can lift more on those implements than the record, even Kody has a video of himself lifting more than his record on the Blockbuster, but IM has strict conditions under which they will accept records (in most cases :glare:). That said, the current records are very strong lifts and only a handful of people can beat them.

Something else to think about is that You Tube lifts really aren't records - even though we see some very big lifts of all kinds there. Competitions lifts and Cert lifts are different than training lifts.

I meant light compared to what I've seen, that's all, haha. Does iron mind recognize world records on their own implements from all the major competitions? For example, Gripmas? Or do they require, say, a brand new implement right in front of a witness?

I meant light compared to what I've seen, that's all, haha. Does iron mind recognize world records on their own implements from all the major competitions? For example, Gripmas? Or do they require, say, a brand new implement right in front of a witness?

IronMind has their own rules which must be followed to be on their list. Randal has not been at all hard to work with in my experience - I had the Silver Bullet as an event a couple years ago which I set up with IM in advance so that any record set would have been accepted by Randall. I imagine this is done on a case by case basis if used as a competition event. Randal sent me the gripper and we opened it on camera etc etc. - the "hoops" to jump through were no big deal at all.

• Like 2

You go lift over 80lbs on the hub or Blockbuster and tell me it feels light :grin:. Yes there are some guys that can lift more on those implements than the record, even Kody has a video of himself lifting more than his record on the Blockbuster, but IM has strict conditions under which they will accept records (in most cases :glare:). That said, the current records are very strong lifts and only a handful of people can beat them.

This right here...

Something else to think about is that You Tube lifts really aren't records - even though we see some very big lifts of all kinds there. Competitions lifts and Cert lifts are different than training lifts.

I think at some point that might change some and it will be a welcomed change in my eyes.

Could you explain why you think a video of doing something where everything is clearly legitimate is in somewhat less acceptable or relevant then something done in a comp?

Grip is not powerlifting. Pretty much every single small/medium+ sized city has a powerlifting meet which makes it accessible to most people, where as with grip unless you live on the east coast in a big city you likely need to fly or have a very long drive. $400-$500 to fly to a comp, get a car, get a place to stay and likely take time off from work on top of them is a huge barrier for most people.

I personally see a good video of something as being equal to a comp. If its not then why keep a single record here? Mash Monster certs come to mind.

Could you explain why you think a video of doing something where everything is clearly legitimate is in somewhat less acceptable or relevant then something done in a comp?

You're kidding right?

• Like 3

It certainly is not just IronMind. You won't even "be on the Top 100 List" for Grip Sport unless you are part of a contest that is approved and run under strict rules, with people judging.

You're kidding right?

I'm happy to be 100% wrong but to me at least if someone closes a gripper that's rated at 160lbs and someone closes a gripper in a comp rated at 160lbs its the same thing is it not?

One huge problem with Youtube is people using altered implements or things like tacky/sandblasting to assist lifts, or really implement modification in any sense. The regulars here all seem trustworthy, but the fact that even one person could be lying (from gripboard or not) is why YouTube will probably never be an acceptable means for world record holding.

• Like 2

One huge problem with Youtube is people using altered implements or things like tacky/sandblasting to assist lifts, or really implement modification in any sense. The regulars here all seem trustworthy, but the fact that even one person could be lying (from gripboard or not) is why YouTube will probably never be an acceptable means for world record holding.

Very good point but as we have seen from certain contests, a snake will always find a way.

With a comp you need to be in your best shape at a certain date. If you're doing feats at home in your gym and film it you can just film every attempt you do and at one point you might get it done. Performing your best when it matters the most is a huge part of any sport.

• Like 3

The way people can edit videos these days and the ease of cheating on video I feel sanctioning is necessary. It eliminates most cheating and preserves the legitimacy of our feats. Well worth the inconvenience.... If you don't like to travel long ways to comps, then start your own comp and find interested people - they are out there, they just don't know about this stuff! Videos are still cool but shouldn't be relied upon for posterity without credible witnesses.

You're kidding right?

I'm happy to be 100% wrong but to me at least if someone closes a gripper that's rated at 160lbs and someone closes a gripper in a comp rated at 160lbs its the same thing is it not?

Jared - this topic has been discussed many many times. There are so many reasons why competition results are counted more than video and video more than still pictures. Everyone out there is not honest and even many honest people don't have calibrated plates etc. Performing a big lift when you're having one of those "magic" days in your garage is much different than having to do it "on the day" when nervous or maybe as a 4th or 5th event of a 7 or 8 hour competition to give a real comparison between the two. The first lift in a comp is different than having it as a 4th event etc. This is why one lift comps don't get into the records except "as one lift comp results". I can see where people "want" to be able to have their gym lifts counted because it's much easier than traveling to a big contest, dealing with all the nerves etc - and maybe some day when it's nothing left but a generation of people brought up on social media and videos it may come down that way but I hope I'm long gone by then. All home video depends on a degree of "faith". A 160# gripper is probably a 160# gripper but how would you know unless it is calibrated while still on camera in an RGC by someone you trust with calibrated (on camera) plates etc (or done with the IM or MM rules of opening on camera etc). At a comp 10 or 20 people have access to that gripper and can give a pretty good idea if that rating is legit. You can go on and on on the subject. It's why IM and others require a brand new item opened on camera etc - and even then the #3 etc you receive may be an "easy" one or a "harder" one. It's the reason PL and OL organizations rule books are so strict. Garage lifts are just that in my mind. I respect them but claiming any kind of "record" - no way. And as said above - cheating - editing media is so easy today as to make video a less than perfect medium of proof.

• Like 5

You're kidding right?

Jared - this topic has been discussed many many times. There are so many reasons why competition results are counted more than video and video more than still pictures. Everyone out there is not honest and even many honest people don't have calibrated plates etc. Performing a big lift when you're having one of those "magic" days in your garage is much different than having to do it "on the day" when nervous or maybe as a 4th or 5th event of a 7 or 8 hour competition to give a real comparison between the two. The first lift in a comp is different than having it as a 4th event etc. This is why one lift comps don't get into the records except "as one lift comp results". I can see where people "want" to be able to have their gym lifts counted because it's much easier than traveling to a big contest, dealing with all the nerves etc - and maybe some day when it's nothing left but a generation of people brought up on social media and videos it may come down that way but I hope I'm long gone by then. All home video depends on a degree of "faith". A 160# gripper is probably a 160# gripper but how would you know unless it is calibrated while still on camera in an RGC by someone you trust with calibrated (on camera) plates etc (or done with the IM or MM rules of opening on camera etc). At a comp 10 or 20 people have access to that gripper and can give a pretty good idea if that rating is legit. You can go on and on on the subject. It's why IM and others require a brand new item opened on camera etc - and even then the #3 etc you receive may be an "easy" one or a "harder" one. It's the reason PL and OL organizations rule books are so strict. Garage lifts are just that in my mind. I respect them but claiming any kind of "record" - no way. And as said above - cheating - editing media is so easy today as to make video a less than perfect medium of proof.

Oh I hope you didn't take my comment as me being rude. You do bring up here many things that I didn't really think about so thank you for that.

• Like 3

You're kidding right?

Oh I hope you didn't take my comment as me being rude. You do bring up here many things that I didn't really think about so thank you for that.

No I didn't look as it as "rude" - just of not thinking it through as far as necessary maybe in today's world.

I just found it interesting that people were suggesting the world record and higher for the advanced level of the blockbuster pinch in the "CTD 3 levels" thread and then even adding a 4th level. It seems off to me that the WR is a whopping 40 pounds or so off of the best YT lift I have seen for Blockbuster, I guess. That's a 1.5 times greater lift.

To be fair, you can have calibrated this and that but judging is another ball game. I've seen record attempts get fudged because of poor judging.

Edited by KapMan

Also to be fair the same guy with all those incredible garage lifts for the hub didnt even get close to those numbers at a contest. This substantiates that there is a major difference between training PRs and contest lifts. The mental side of contests and preparing for the myriad of challenges (fatigue, time of day, pressure, being rushed, etc) is a strength in and of itself.

• Like 1

Also to be fair the same guy with all those incredible garage lifts for the hub didnt even get close to those numbers at a contest. This substantiates that there is a major difference between training PRs and contest lifts. The mental side of contests and preparing for the myriad of challenges (fatigue, time of day, pressure, being rushed, etc) is a strength in and of itself.

That's absolutely right. The stressors of a comp can really deplete the mind and body if your not ready.

"Records" are funny things. In the world of Strength there are multiple organizations in each category such as PL - Strongman - etc. IM and Gripboard records also do not cross reference - each have their own set of rules which must be closely followed. Not to say that any of these are Wrong or Better than the other - they are simply their own. All groups are pretty protective or territorial of their own record lists etc for obvious reasons (must be done on certain equipment - certain conditions, they have different weight classes etc). And I can't say I find any real issue with all this - you don't like this group but you like that one - you have choices - go where you agree with things. You want Raw - there's a place for that - you want wrapped up like a mummy and juiced to the gills - there's a place for that too. About the only thing you can't do (if you want to be recognized by - well anyone............) is simply get out your camera - go out in your gym and start videoing and expect any of the existing organizations anywhere to accept them.

Oh certainly people will watch them and think/know you are a strong mofo but it will not a "record" make. Maybe someone will start a "You Tube World Record List" ? I can't wait.

• Like 7

Sums up what happened to me at my first contest. The body was ready while the mind was spent. Contest vs training are 2 different animals.

my 2c on this is - when there's a will there's a way - if a "governing body" has an inclination to allow video submissions for a specific feat to count as official it can be done - Mash Monster setup being a prime example of that.

of course it would be more challenging to do something like this for heavier implements so if the "governing body" isn't interested in doing things that way it's completely understandable.

also, while I do agree that actual meets bring more variables to the table (for me personally having to lift anything heavier than a coffee mug before 9 am is a feat in and of itself lol) - a competition is just that - you're competing against other participants who are in the same boat as you are and have to deal with the same conditions so the winner doesn't necessarily need a record-setting lift, all that's required is to outperform others in that same meet.

As several have implied a true champion performs when it really counts and not just in front of his camera set up when all the stars are align. All of you who complain that it is too hard to find a meet need to be quiet. If I can do it anyone else can. I have two options if I want to compete, North America or Europe and I live in Perth, Australia.