Under The Radar - Grip Profile - Gil Goodman

anwnate

Today's profile covers Gil "Squeezus" Goodman. Only after coming back from my medical hiatus (May 15'), did I hear about Gil Goodman. He quickly (and impressively) certed the CoC #3, MM1+ MM2. Because I was catching up, I neglected to notice that in his very first NAGC's, he placed second in his weight class (to Kody) and fourth overall. So, when I got to meet him in person at the NCGC + CTD in Maryland, I had the erroneous impression he was just into grippers. While it's true he's a beast with grippers (CCS 169 at NCGC's), he quickly disabused me of any "gripper guy" notions. He simply dominated the contest...and I got to witness someone "fling" an INCH dumbbell for the first time. With his rapid rise in the world of grip, it makes you wonder how many other Gil Goodman's are out there training "under the radar."

Gil pic.png

7 questions to get to know Gil.

1. What are your stats? Gripboard Name, Age, height (inches/meters), weight (lbs/kgs), dominant hand size (cm/in), country, city (or region…whatever you are comfortable with), married/single, kids, occupation ("international spy" is acceptable)

Gripboard Name: "Squeezus"

Height: 5'9" (175cm)

Weight: 210lbs (95kg)

Dominant Hand size: Ambidextrous 8" (20.3cm)

Country/City: USA/Nashville, Tennessee

Marital Status: Single (1 dog)

2. Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)?

I bought my first gripper (CoC#1) in the summer of 2012, after watching the documentary “Pulling John”. I had read a little bit about John Brzenk in his Wikipedia article and it said that he was close to closing “The Captains of Crush #3 Gripper” so I wanted to see what that was all about. I figured that I had a pretty solid grip from rock climbing and bouldering for 7 years, so what the hell. I closed the #1 on the first try, then immediately ordered a #2 and closed it with each hand on the first try.

I bought the #3 a few months later (couldn’t quite close it) and started sporadically training. I didn’t know anything about setting or the difference between TNS, MMS, or CCS. I was doing 5x5 with my #2 somewhere between CCS and MMS width. It wasn’t until I found reddit.com/r/griptraining and subsequently the Gripboard that I discovered the wide world of grip training. After some prodding from my girlfriend, I finally programmed my gripper work into my workout schedule, got comfortable closing the #3, and certified in May 2015. Just a couple weeks later, I attended my first competition at the North American Grip Sport Championship. I’ve been hooked ever since.

3. Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals?

Before I ascend to Valhalla, I would like break the 2” V-Bar record held by Adam Glass, certify on the CoC#3.5 and place FIRST at Nationals.

4. How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training?

I do a powerlifting workout (Mon-Bench, Tues-Squat, Thurs-Overhead Press, Fri-Deadlift) with different variations of Wendler 5/3/1 depending on the lift. I work grippers on Monday and Thursday, pinch on Tuesday, and thick bar on Friday. I am experimenting with using Wendler for my pinch and thickbar. My grippers are on a high volume program that I developed for myself.

5. Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

In Gripsport, we pick up lots of crazy stuff. We have implements of every imaginable form and the variety is fun and entertaining. There is always a new challenge or a new way to approach an existing one. These implements are all great, but the best thing I have picked up is the wonderful spirit of the community.

From the first time I competed at Nationals, I was welcomed and treated with camaraderie by everyone, even the guys that I was competing directly against. Being a newbie, I had plenty to learn but nobody treated me like I didn’t deserve to be there. They were all happy to meet a new person in the sport and give me any tips or help they could. I could get strong in my garage alone and post videos to youtube and instagram. I’d probably save money on travel and hotels too, but I would be missing out on what I think is the coolest thing about the sport, the gripsters. Thank you all so much for being kind and fun.

6. What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

I enjoy tinkering and building stuff in my garage. I recently got into welding and have been building lots of fun grip tools. When I’m not making things, I like to play pool, go to stand up comedy shows and concerts, and hike around the Middle Tennessee area…all with my lovely girlfriend, Maria.

7. Who's Grip profile would you like to see?

Amy Wattles. I really want to see female Gripsport get popular. I have a ton of respect for Amy. She has really pushed the boundaries of what women can do in Grip.

Thanks Gil, Amy will be profiled in two weeks. The series will return next Wednesday with Joshua Henze.

Note: On 1/16/16, Gil will be hosting the "2016 Southern Squeeze Grip Competition."

If the current numbers are any indication, this may turn into one of the premier yearly grip comps.

• Like 20

Awesome, write-up dude. You're a good writer, as well as an accomplished all-round grip athlete!

• Like 1

So from what I have seen your v-bar isn't that far off from the record as it stands, any plans to focus on it and take the record?

• Like 1

I remember you noting that during your #3 cert you hoped that your cert gripper wouldn´t come out that high like end 150 lbs and a few months later you are CCS-ing a freakin' Elite lol

Great write up again. I also said to Nate that I really think this is a nice weekly feature that keeps the GB 'newsfeed' fresh and interesting. So many guys/ladies around that are each in their own way interesting for the gripcommunity in the way how they look at their hobby and what their experiences and achievements are.

Good luck in training Gil and with the upcoming comp.

• Like 6

Awesome, write-up dude. You're a good writer, as well as an accomplished all-round grip athlete!

^Agreed! Another great interview Nate!

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone!

So from what I have seen your v-bar isn't that far off from the record as it stands, any plans to focus on it and take the record?

Yeah, that will be something I try to focus on this year. I want to get my gripper work back on track first, though. I had some joint issues after King Kong that took a while to let me start using grippers again. I think I can do more than 350lbs with enough practice.

Great write up Gil!

I'm curious, what is an Inch "fling"?

I believe Nate is referring to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOSina1A16Q&feature=youtu.be&t=1m31s

• Like 2

Man im diggin the under the radar stuff. Great idea, Nate!

Cool write up too.

Dude makes some thick handled dbs look easy!

Gil, i cant gelp but ask. Wud up with the blood sign? Looking at the writeup, and hearing you speak, i would have never taken you for a gangster..

Hahaha, it was my first time seeing the White House and I couldn't miss the opportunity to goof off for a picture.

Dude is a monster. I never saw that video before bro. NIIIIICE!

Man im diggin the under the radar stuff. Great idea, Nate!

Cool write up too.

Dude makes some thick handled dbs look easy!

Gil, i cant gelp but ask. Wud up with the blood sign? Looking at the writeup, and hearing you speak, i would have never taken you for a gangster..

I had no idea that's what that sign was!

Badass picture and serious grip power man...Great idea for this under the radar write ups....