Geoff Britten - Rolling Thunder One Arm Pullup

Evan Raftopoulos

I asked Mike about the one arm chin +35 lb on RT because it just sounds unreal to me! I mean only a handful of people have done 1 rep I cannot imagine the grip strength one needs to add 35 lb to this!

• Like 1

It's great that Adam G is trying for ANW! I know Yori is also applying this year!

It's great that Adam G is trying for ANW! I know Yori is also applying this year!

Yes it will be exciting to see them this season.

let's hope all the grip guys get accepted on the show and do well and get some air time. Here is the application if anyone else from here is interested

https://www.anwcasting.com/

deadline is in less than two weeks

I know, and yes if anyone can do it is probably Mike, but still hard for me to comprehend it, don't take it personally that I don't trust you or something, I just want to hear from him about it. Mike is actually the guy that got me into grip sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDBC-bP49Vc

here is his badass submission vid from 3 years ago, I started training my grip and joined here after I watched it a few months ago! never met with him in person but I talked to him here a few times and he said he is not planning on doing ANW again, but you never know he is still very young.

Anyone knows how much? Appreciated

Going from memory now but in one year, winner of WSM got 40 000 Dollars.

• Like 1

Not sure about the World's Strongest Man payout, but Brian Shaw earned $70,000 when he won the Arnold Strongman Classic in 2015.

Regarding armwrestlers' potential in grip sport -- I think most armwrestlers would have a head start when getting into grip over those who have not competed in a discipline where hand strength is important. As would climbers, American Ninja Warriors, etc. But how far they get in grip would obviously depend on how much work they put into it.

• Like 1

While I'm flattered to be credited with performing a one arm chin + 35lb from a rolling thunder, with witnesses no less, I must take a moment to set the record straight. I have done a one arm chinup with a 35lb plate in my other hand, and I have done a one arm chinup from a rolling thunder, but I have never done a one arm chinup + 35lb from a rolling thunder. Tommy is commingling two separate feats of mine.

I'm sorry to disappoint everyone. I'll head back to the gym at once!

• Like 1

While I'm flattered to be credited with performing a one arm chin + 35lb from a rolling thunder, with witnesses no less, I must take a moment to set the record straight. I have done a one arm chinup with a 35lb plate in my other hand, and I have done a one arm chinup from a rolling thunder, but I have never done a one arm chinup + 35lb from a rolling thunder. Tommy is commingling two separate feats of mine.

thanks Mike, you are not disappointing anyone. I think that OAC on rolling thunder is an extremely elite grip feat given that only a few people have done it and the rolling thunder has been around for long long time.

Well, my apologies. I heard wrong and was quick to speak without double checking. Holy moly.

Hold on, im headed to the fridge to grab a quick slice of stfu. Ha

no worries Tommy it happens. And I'd love to see Adam Glass attempting this, maybe I'll contact him about it.

• Like 1

thanks Mike, you are not disappointing anyone. I think that OAC on rolling thunder is an extremely elite grip feat given that only a few people have done it and the rolling thunder has been around for long long time.

Well, my apologies. I heard wrong and was quick to speak without double checking. Holy moly.

Hold on, im headed to the fridge to grab a quick slice of stfu. Ha

no worries Tommy it happens. And I'd love to see Adam Glass attempting this, maybe I'll contact him about it.

I think only a few people have done it because relatively few people have ever seen or heard of a rolling thunder. The student I had who did the RT OAC had never heard of, seen, or touched a RT until I brought mine in and had him try one. He did it the first time he touched it.

Not sure about the World's Strongest Man payout, but Brian Shaw earned $70,000 when he won the Arnold Strongman Classic in 2015.

Regarding armwrestlers' potential in grip sport -- I think most armwrestlers would have a head start when getting into grip over those who have not competed in a discipline where hand strength is important. As would climbers, American Ninja Warriors, etc. But how far they get in grip would obviously depend on how much work they put into it.

Thanks for both appreciated!

Thanks for both appreciated!

You've also got to consider sponsorship payouts as well.

• Like 1

yes, some very strong climbers can do it, but even that guy didn't get full range of motion, only 50% or so, and that doesn't really count as OAC. I don't even consider that I did it and I got more than 90% ROM. One arm chinup is much much harder than one hand deadlift to lockout. You need to be able to pull more than your bodyweight with the rolling thunder deadlift , you need to be able to hold your bw and do that throughout the elbow rom while maintaining grip the whole time.

I think the difficulty here is that:

1. OAC is a high level gymnastic skill

2. BW on the RT is a high level grip skill

3. Both skills must be mastered to a level of ease

4. You need to find an RT.

All your lucky stars need to be in line to do this feat.

• Like 2

yes, good points Yori! I can do up to 4 one arm chinups on regular bar and I can pull 15 lb or more than my bw on rolling thunder deadlift and still haven't mastered the rolling thunder OAC. And I even have the older model which according to many it spins less.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

Evan how did you train for a one arm chin? As currently I can only hold a one arm chin at 90 degrees for 5 seconds and I really want it.

I do a lot of table curls, chin-ups, preacher curls etc

With regards to electron's post, it's not just BW on RT, it's BW on RT through full elbow ROM with no stable base to pull from.

Edited by avasatu
  • Like 1

Evan how did you train for a one arm chin? As currently I can only hold a one arm chin at 90 degrees for 5 seconds and I really want it.

I do a lot of table curls, chin-ups, preacher curls etc

hey Josh! there are many ways to train for it, once you get one then it's easier to train for more I think. IMO training with arm curls might not be the fastest way to achieve this, as the movement mechanics are a bit diffferent. If you train with wts I think that the best exercise is just one arm pulldowns at the cable machine until you reach your bw and even more. I still train like that with attaching rolling thunder or any other handle I have with me at the gym. Fatgripz/t grips etc work too, but if your goal is just the OAC then use a regular narrow grip with a cable row attachment or something similar

If I remember right before I got my first one I was doing archer and typewriter pullups one side at a time trying to help less and less with the other arm, one arm lock offs, a few muscle ups and at some point I was doing assisted one arm pullups with a pulley system. This last one felt very helpful to mebecause it's the same exact movement you are just taking some of your wt with the other hand. The one climber that did the oac on RT disagrees with this exercise though for some reason I forgot. There is a guy that has a channel called "fitness faq" he has detailed description how to set up something like that. If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Now that I remember I was watching a youtube vid of a guy that had some nice progressions, let me find it for you.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos
  • Like 1

Thanks Evan appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I will try out those different types of pullups! I guess if i want to get better at pullups I need to train them more.

Those archer pullups look like my golden ticket to the one arm chin!!

I'm make a video when I get it ;)

Been doing lots of table curls and 10 sets of 10 chin ups with 1min rest inbetween - every other day pretty much

• Like 1