Geoff Britten - Rolling Thunder One Arm Pullup

Evan Raftopoulos

I challanged Geoff to try this the other day and IM sent him a RT to try it! For those who don't know Geoff he is one of the two guys that beat all four stages of American Ninja Warrior last season.

• Like 2

Awesome! Do you know if Geoff won any money for being the first American Ninja Warrior? I think the guy who beat Geoff by a few seconds in the final event won $500K.

'Only' one rep?

:mosher :mosher :mosher

haha, I'm still working on perfecting my one rep but I challanged him for a race to two reps, he definately looks stronger than me and this was his first try! I've been trying to get him into grip sport but he is too busy with ninja training and family.

Awesome! Do you know if Geoff won any money for being the first American Ninja Warrior? I think the guy who beat Geoff by a few seconds in the final event won $500K.

unfortunately he didn't get any money from the show. Isaac Caldiero completed stage 4 a few seconds faster and won 1 million.

1 million?! I wonder what do weightlifting champs or a strongman champ gets

^. I always felt bad that he didn't get anything. Seems astonishingly unfair.

yea there's been a lot of controversy about it. But they have you sign a paper before that says you agree with the rules and that was the rule - if two or more people finish then only the fastest wins the million.

yes, it's a tv show not just an athletic event. Also, keep in mind that in 7 years or so thousands have tried but only two people completed all 4 stages at the finals and only one won the million. It's extremely difficult. The guys who went the furthest in the past didn't get anything!

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos
  • Like 1

Looked like he could do a few more?

Watched his run @ ANW on YT, really impressive for sure.

Regarding the price money I think it's good the way it is. If they started to give out price money like it was a normal sport then we would get all the negative aspects that conventional sports offer also. I think it's great that Ninja Warrior is a show primarily and not a real profession.

• Like 1

Not sure the amount, but the top three at WSM get a pretty sweet payout.

I would be shocked if even the best AW guys have good grip power. For the most part they have great grip endurance and lat strength/endurance. I hope the training you've done in grip sport gives you an extra edge in competition, evan.

I would be shocked if even the best AW guys have good grip power. For the most part they have great grip endurance and lat strength/endurance. I hope the training you've done in grip sport gives you an extra edge in competition, evan.

it's hard to make generalizations about this but I think that most of them have good grip strength just usually not good enough for let's say to be competitive in grip sport. If they start training for it you never know though. I believe that Geoff is an exception -he already has what it takes to compete in grip sport and do really well. His grip strength /bw ratio is phenomenal, this is a guy that climbs V13s. To give you perspective the furthest I can do with boulering is V6. Maybe I do have the grip strength to go a bit further and lack the technique/balance/exeprience etc. but still, very few elite climbers can do V13s. Isaac Caldiero that won the million is actually a pro climber and completed even harder boulder problems. I bet he can also do OAC on rolling thunder like is nothing. I think that experienced climbers tend to have really good open hand grip power. Probably not as good relatively with crushing power though.

Grip sport training defiinately gives me an extra edge on any obstacle course that requires gripping! I've noticed on different occations that I can do many things with one hand that some people can hardly do with both hands. But it's difficult to get people into grip sport if they are really passionate about different type of training.

another thing that is worth mentioning besides strength is that hand size is also an important variable with thick revolving handles. If you are ligthwt and have big hands it's easier to achieve this feat. My hands are not that big but I think crushing power allows me to do ok with rolling handles, because I squeeze the handle as hard as I can. I don't know what Geoff's crushing power is (thinking of gripper closes) or his hands size.

yes, Michael Hann has done it and two other people from what I know, that's why Geoff is saying he is the no 4, based on what I told him. Not sure how accurate that is though.

WITH a 35lb plate tied around his waist. The vid is on Paul Knights youtube channel.

I believe the 35lb plate was a regular one arm chin, the vid with rolling thunder was with both hands but no added wt

here it is

Michael also competed I believe in americn ninja 4

this is the other guy

and also this guy

sorry I misunderstood his post, I thought he meant american ninja warrior competitors

wow, if Micheal did that then he has by far the strongest grip/ bw ratio on the planet!

All I said was that most of the top American ninja/arm wrestler guys wouldn't have peak grip power. I even mentioned there would certainly be exceptions.

Agreed

I believe grip sport is the best and fastest way to strengthen all parts of your grip.

I meant to write AW/ANW but I just kept writing AW on accident haha. I like what you said, by the way, about using crushing power to lift thicker rolling handles. Even with my small hands I picked up 165 on RT first try with nothing but a ton of (old) do strapless deads/deficits, tons of weighted strapless pull-ups, and heavy strapless rows and curls. I believe a combination of wrist power, closed handed supporting power, and crushing power can get you quite a long way in open handed supporting power feats. But I am both a noob and never actually replicated that lift before I put RT on hiatus, so I probably don't know really what I'm saying ultimately.

Edited by avasatu

Overall grip strength to body weight ratio rankings should be dominated by the very lightest guys (simple physics as body weight increases by the cube whereas strength increases by the square). The fact that Kody is ahead while competing in the 93k class (not in the 59 or 66k classes) just shows how far ahead he is of ALL guys in the lighter weight classes.

I meant to write AW/ANW but I just kept writing AW on accident haha

Oh... Lol, mybad.

But yes, Michael is very strong for his weight. As far as grip to bw ratio, im gonna have to go out on a limb and say that Yori, Eric M., and Kody burns are the best bw to grip ratio. Adam Glass is up there too though... And btw, i actually met up with Adam recently. He is for real about to make an appearance on ANW. He will by far be the strongest set of hands to ever go on the show.

Not sure the amount, but the top three at WSM get a pretty sweet payout.

Anyone knows how much? Appreciated

I meant to write AW/ANW but I just kept writing AW on accident haha. I like what you said, by the way, about using crushing power to lift thicker rolling handles. Even with my small hands I picked up 165 on RT first try with nothing but a ton of (old) do strapless deads/deficits, tons of weighted strapless pull-ups, and heavy strapless rows and curls. I believe a combination of wrist power, closed handed supporting power, and crushing power can get you quite a long way in open handed supporting power feats. But I am both a noob and never actually replicated that lift before I put RT on hiatus, so I probably don't know really what I'm saying ultimately.

Okay! I was thinking Armwrestlers have very strong grip what is he talking about