Kc's Bending Log

KRC

Couldn't be happier with this considering I was bedridden on Saturday and Sunday with the flu.  Called in from work Monday too, and was still pretty sick Tuesday and today, but had to get this attempt in before getting on a plane tomorrow morning for a week off.  

I still see ways to improve, and am pumped to move forward with this finally ticked off my list.  Video to FBBC pending official approval, and my next 3 months training attached below.  It shows reduced volume of full bends, and increased volume of the EJ-style "kink sweep crush" protocol which paid huge dividends for me these few cycles.  Eventually this summer and fall I'll phase out higher volume completely and focus exclusively on the KSC program as written.  

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 4.57.49 PM.png

• Like 1

Sucks when you get sick man and it brings you down for awhile. I was literally bed ridden for a week a few months ago. Hope you feel much better. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bending - all in half-IMP's
5x1 @ "I" DR
3x1 @ "J" DR

2x1 @ "N" DR from 4" to 3" - in IMP's and DH Suede

Calisthenics
Push Ups, Pull Ups - 3x4

The bachelor party and traveling took a lot more out of me than expected; got back Tuesday and still feel a bit wiped.  Seeing home properties this weekend and plan on making an offer tomorrow, so wanted to get the workout in tonight to have the day free then.   

Bending 
4x1 @ "I" Bar - Half IMP's
1x1 @ "J" Bar - Half IMP's
3xF @ "M" Bar - IMP's no bands

2x1 @ 9/32 stainless - from 4" to 3" in doubles
1x1 @ 9/32 stainless - from 3" to 2" in doubles

Calisthenics
3x6 - Push Ups
3x5 - Pull Ups

Two DNF's for the M bars due to hand tears, didn't even try the third.  Don't know if it's just me or what, but my hands keep getting so shredded.  Maybe too much volume with bends in IMP's or less?  I dunno.  I'm gonna look at my programming and see if I can keep the theme the same, but not use pads less than IMP's for anything other than "feat" bends.  

9/32" SS sweeps and crush went well; sweeps were very easy, crush took a bit to get from a hair over 2" to under 2.  

• Like 1

Bending 
3x1 @ 9/32 DR - IMP's
3xF @ "M" Bar - IMP's
2x1 @ "N" Bar - Double IMP's

Calisthenics
3x8 Push Ups
3x6 Pull Ups

Same story as last time- palm ripped open on the third 9/32 bar after not fully healing.  Gonna play it by feel for next scheduled bending session on Wednesday.  

Calisthenics
3x6 - Dips
3x10 - Push Ups
4x5 - Pull Ups

My girlfriend's 2y4m old literally 10 seconds after watching one of my bending vids.  We didn't ask her/expect her to do anything like this, and are both shocked at how fast she picked it up.  Potential!!

Screenshot_2016-04-20-08-53-32.png

• Like 3

Bending 
3x1 @ 9/32" DR 
1x1 @ "L" DR - 1:12
1x1 @ "M" DR - 4:40
1x1 @ 19/64" DR - 1:43 - all of the above in IMP's

2x1 @ 9/32" SS - 3.75" to 3" in doubles
1x1 @ 9/32" SS - 3" to 2" in doubles

1x1 @ 8" Hexabastard - in doubles

Calisthenics
3x7 - Dips
5x5 - Pull Ups
3x10 - Push Ups + 2.5

Either it's mental, or the M bars are hard (or they're actually N bars, given the mix up I had before).   

I've tried 8" bars of each of the three bastards "after" the plain 5/16 round and it's funny how they each work each part of the bend.  The hex was harder to get moving, but butter afterward.  The brass folded like a twig initially, but was tough to crush, and the shiny works the sweep (my 8" bar is still stuck at 4" (~130 degrees)).  I have a feeling the shiny will be the hardest for me to bend at 7" (the hex and brass were relatively easy at 8"), so I'll try the other two when I'm ready for the 7" bars and keep working toward the shiny.  

A few other things I forgot: 

1. The last 1/8" of an inch until 2" on the 9/32" stainless is a bitch
2. I got my bastard vid passed the same day that I got an offer on a house accepted
3. I wear my work socks with camo shorts for effect :rock

• Like 1

Bending
3x1 @ 9/32 DR - IMP's
2x1 @ "M" DR - BBW's
2x1 @ "N" DR - 1.5 IMP's - from 3.5" to 2.75"

1x1 @ 7.5" Odd Hexabastard - doubles
1x1 @ 7" Hexabastard - doubles

Calisthenics
3x9 Dips
2x10, 1x7 Push Ups + 7.5
4x6, 1x5 Pull Ups

Times for M bars - 1:47, 1:58

Both of the M bends were within 2.5" in :30 to a minute.  I was lazy and kept pulling the pads off to see if it was under 2 for the next minute both times.  These were true M bars, and I did find out that the "M bars" i'd been using this cycle were actually N bars.  The M's are still a good, tough bar.  

I've been feeling a lot stronger (and maybe more importantly, confident) lately, so I rolled up the 7.5" hexabastard and it went down easily.

So what they hell let's rollup the 7" hexa... it wasn't exactly easy but not nearly as hard as I thought it would be.  Super pumped!

7.5" golden attempt next session, then a week off and then a 7" golden attempt.  Then back to reality of not attempting certs every session, lol.  I think this all has to do with the added recovery of the weeks off prior to and after my bastard attempt.  1 session in 14 days does a lot for recovery apparently.  Potentially dropping the 1IMP bending as well.  

• Like 2

Bending
3x1 @ 9/32" DR - IMP's
1x1 @ "N" DR - BBW's
1x1 @ Golden Bastard - Doubles
2x1 @ 9/32" SS - Doubles from 3.5" to 3"
1x1 @ 9/32" SS - Doubles from 3" to 2"

Calisthenics
Dips - 3x6 (green band)
Push Ups - 2x10, 1x5 +12.5lbs
Pull Ups - 2x7, 3x6

The mini reps are getting easy with the stainless; this is a good sign.  Also that was the first complete N bar I've ever bent.  

• Like 2

Bending
1xF @ Shiny 
1xF @ Duke

I wasn't supposed to bend until tomorrow, but I couldn't stop thinking about the shiny, so I went a day early and felt weak even during the warm up.  I think I underestimated how much all those PR attempts took out of me last week, lol.  I was total exhausted for like 4 days afterwards.  Oh well, at least I have an idea of which bars to tackle next.  I think it might be a while before another big PR (coming up on the end of n00b gainz?).  Golden Hex and Shiny felt more or less the same--got them to 4.5" and 4.25" respectively.  Duke is harder than both though to be honest, I was completely out of gas when I attempted the duke, and didn't even wrap it on it's own, I just used the shiny wraps from the previous attempt.  

I'll bring all three bars with me to the SJ3 comp, but the goal is the shiny.  Should have plenty of rest between now and then; due to the timing of the comp and how my programming fits in, I have 8 days off now before the first session, then four full days in between each session, then a week off before the comp.  I can't think of any way to continue training and be more rested.  Looking forward to it.  

20160504_171723.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Bending
3x1 @ 9/32" DR - IMP's
3x1 @ 19/64" DR - IMP's no bands
2x1 @ 9/32" SS - IMP's - from 4.25 to 3" (in 2 hits)
1x1 @ 9/32" SS - IMP's - from 3.5" to 2" (in 3 hits)

Times for 19/64 bends: :38, :16, :18. First 19/64 was ~17 seconds but was shy of 2" by a bit.  

Excellent first session back.  Felt very powerful throughout.  First session of the training block leading up to Nate's comp. Can't wait!

Calisthenics
Dips - 3x5 
Pull Ups - 5x5
Push Ups - 3x10

Bending 
2x1 @ K DR - IMP's
1x1 @ L DR - IMP's
3x1 @ M DR - IMP's no bands
2x1 @ 5/16" DR - BBW's from 4.25" to 3.75" 
1x1 @ Red Nail - BBW's from 4.25" to under 2"
1x1 @ 5/16" DR - BBW's from 3.625" to 3.125" 

Times for M DR bends - :57, 1:58, 1:20

The 5/16" drill rod is a big jump from the N and 9/32 stainless.  The Red nail was noticeably easier than the DR, and the latter made the 9/32" SS feel like a warm up.  I maybe could have gotten it to under 3" and 2" as planned, but it would have been a max effort, and the point is to work a small range of motion with a step or two below ME, so I called it after a half inch of movement. I'll try for a eighth or so more next time.  This is probably a good target for the SJ3 comp now that I know it's all going to be DR.  

Calisthenics
3x7 - Dips
10, 10, 8 - push ups +5lbs
4x6, 1x5 - pull ups

Calisthenics
3x6 - Dips
10, 10, 9 - push ups +2.5lbs
2x6, 3x5 - pull ups

Bending - all in IMP's
2x1 @ 9/32" DR
1x1 @ L DR
1xF @ N DR

Really rough session.  Trained away from home due to holiday plans, and brought all the wrong stuff with me, almost all the wrong bars, no BBW's for partials, and NO CHALK.  Garage I was training in was super humid and 100+ degrees too.  Thought about how epic it would be (for me) if I bent the N in IMP's with no chalk (was supposed to be M bars tonight), and went for it but only got it moving about 20-30 degrees.  Know I would have if I had any chalk--crazy the boost it gives you.  Ah well.

Bending - all in IMP's
2x1 @ 9/32" DR
1x1 @ L DR
1xF @ N DR 

1x1 @ 8" Golden Hex - Doubles (wrap PR)
2x1 @ 9/32" SS - IMP's - from 3.75" to 3"
1x1 @ 9/32" SS - IMP's - from 3" to 2" 

Want to keep my working sets sub-5" so I stopped on the N DR though it was still moving.  Got it to 4" and change.  Golden Hex was bent on the flat.  

Calisthenics
3x9 - Dips
9,9,8 - Push Ups +10lbs
3x7, 2x6 - Pull Ups

• Like 1

Bending
1x1 @ K DR - IMP's
2x1 @ L DR - IMP's
2xF @ N DR - BBW's - to 2.5 and 2.75" respectively

Bailed on partials as the hole in my palm opened up again pretty bad on the 2nd L bar and 1st N bar.  Getting to crush zone on the N's was fairly easy, but I'm not going to push through this kind of tear unless it's a cert.  This thing has to heal before SJ3.  

Calisthenics
3x10 - Dips
9,8,8 - Push Ups +12.5lbs
5x7 - Pull Ups

Bending
2x1 @ L DR - IMP's
1x1 @ 9/32" SS - BBW's

First complete bend of a 9/32" SS.  Went down fairly easy.  

Wrapped up a 7.5" golden hex and a 7.5" shiny and got them to 4.25" and 4" respectively. These bars each have a different feel to them but are basically equally difficult for me.  I feel like today the shiny was easier and moving better in the sweep/crush zone.  

I'm kind of feeling burnt out on doubles ME/near-ME attempts, so for next session I'm thinking about going for a wrap PR, a red nail in either BBW's or IMP's.  AFter that I have a shortened cycle prior to another week+ off.  Thinking about lowering intensity, upping the volume, and sticking with IMP's for that cycle only, then back to the normal plan after the break.  

Bending
up to 1x1 @ Red Nail - IMP's
1xF @ "P" DR (rated 465) - Doubles

First full attempt at a Red Nail, and two weeks shy of my 1 year bending anniversary.  Pretty happy with this!! P bar got locked up hard at 3.5".  Kink was like butter and the ramp up was totally unexpected and severe.  

As for the next few months, I've now bent a 7" golden hex, 7" shiny, 7" P DR (rated 465), and 8" duke and gotten stopped around 4 inches.  I think its pretty obvious to refocus attention on partials in the 4.5" to 3.5" range and stop going for PR's, lol.  

Bending - IMP's
3x1 @ 1/4" SS
3x1 @ "I" DR 
6x1 @ "J" DR

1x1 @ 9/32" SS - 3-3/4" to 2-3/8" - IMP's
1x1 @ "N" DR - 4.25" to under 2" - BBW's
1x1 @ 5/16" SS - 4" to 2-3/8" - Doubles

Left some in the tank intentionally on the two stainless partials.  Trying something totally different this cycle.  Only have about 19 days to train before a trip to California instead of the full 28, so fewer days off between sessions = a lot of volume at lower intensity, in IMP's only (for full bends).  The trade off to more frequent bending is that the calisthenics are less frequent. Idea is to be rested mentally and physically.  Only real goals for this session are the N bar in IMP's (harder than a red) on the last training day, and the 7.5" Shiny in doubles and a red in IMP's faster than I bent the last one on the 'peaking' day.  

It's been one full year this month so I'm looking forward to mixing things up for this one cycle before some very anticipated time off and back to the regular routine in my new house :rock

Calisthenics
Dips - 3x4 (purple band)
Push Ups - 3x10 +10lbs
Pull Ups - 2x8, 3x7

Bending - all in IMP's
4x1 @ 1/4" SS
3x1 @ "I" DR 
5x1 @ "K" DR

7" Shiny - from 5-11/16" to 4-3/4" - doubles
7.5" Shiny - from 4" to 3-1/4" - BBW's
8" Shiny - from 2-3/8" to 2-1/4" - BBW-s
"N" DR - from 3-3/4" to 1-3/4" - BBW's (IMP's for final 1/2 inch)
9/32" SS - from 4-1/4" to 2-3/4" - IMP's
9/32" SS - from 2-3/8" to 2-1/8" - IMP's

Calisthenics
Dips - 3x5
Pull Ups - 4x8, 1x7
Push Ups - 3x9 +12.5lbs

That 5/16" stainless is tough stuff.  Tried to get the 8" 5/16" and the 7" 9/32" SS bars under 2 but couldn't without putting near-ME work in.  

Bending
4x1 @ 1/4" SS - IMP's
3x1 @ "J" DR - IMP's
4x1 @ "L" DR - IMP's

7" Golden Hex - from 4-3/8" to 4-1/4"(all partials in doubles or BBW's)
7.5" GHex - from 4-1/4" to 4-1/16"
7.5" Shiny - no movement from 4-1/4"
8" GH - from 4-1/4" to 3-15/16"
7" Duke - no movement from 2-13/16" 
8" Shiny - from 3-3/16" to 3-1/8"
7" Duke - no movement from 6-1/8"
8" Duke - no movement from straight  

Didn't have time for calisthenics.  

As you can see, this session didn't go very well.  Even kinking the "L" bars was a problem. The last 48 hours have been the most stressful of my life and with the least sleep, prepping for closing on our home/moving and I felt like I was totally out of gas by the 3rd L bar.  I had big plans for my partials today, but knew that things wouldn't go as planned so just hoped for any movement at all.  

• Like 1

Bending
3x1 @ 1/4" SS
3x1 @ "J" DR
3x1 @ 19/64" DR - all above in IMP's

Partials
7" Shiny - no mvmt. sweep
7" Shiny - from 4-3/4" to 4-5/8"
8" Shiny - from 4-1/2" to 3-1/4"
7.5" Shiny - from 3-1/4" to 3-3/16"
8" Shiny - no mvmt. crush 
7" Duke - no mvmt. kink

Calisthenics
Dips - 3x6 
Push Ups - 3x8 +15lbs
Pull Ups - 1x9, 4x8

Same story as last time.  19/64" bars became very difficult and partials were a losing battle, lol.  Rest is still at an all time low, but a lot of the worst of it is behind me so we'll see how the next 10 days pan out.  

• Like 1