Kc's Bending Log

KRC

Rowing

2000m test - 8:24.3 (2:06 pace)

HRR - 180, 132, 104

This puts me in the 12th percentile. 12th! 50th percentile (goal for the year) is 7:31.9. Long way to go but confident I can get there, given how little I've time I've put in on this. Redid my programming (realized I don't know what the hell I'm doing :trout ), and am following the program created for me on this really awesome site: http://indoorsportservices.co.uk/training/interactive.

Bending

6x1 @ "I" DR - IMP's

4x1 @ 9/32" DR - IMP's no bands

Sweep/Crush ISO's 6 total - 2x3.5", 2x3", 2x2.5"

Time for 9/32 bends - :27, :18, :15, :10 (last bend was to 2 and 1/8" -- tried to get it under 10s and missed by an eighth of an inch. 1 more hit to finish it)

Need to make a 4" bar--the 2.5" and even the 3" were in the crush zone. Got some movement on the 3" bar.

Calisthenics (superset)

Inverted Rows - 6x5

Push Ups - 4x6

Rowing

18' @ UT1 (2:24.2 pace)

HRR - 136, 92, 84

Rowing

Supposed to be 2x11m @ UT1 (2:25 pace).  Had to stop after 6 minutes of the second set due to my back.  

HRR 152, 96, ...

Lost track of what my heart rate recovery was trying to find the "view my posts" link after the upgrade.  I'm sure it will show up eventually.  Looks like we lost the single space option between lines in posts too?

Bending - all in one IMP

4x1 @ 17/64" DR, 2x1 @ 1/4" SS Sq

Time for Square bends - 4:57 (botched the kink), 2:16 (botched the kink again)

No time PR, but a volume PR (2 vs. 1).  In my vid last month of this bend, you can see it gets to the crush in like 7 seconds--most of the time bending these bars today was getting there this time.  I think accommodating for the pain in my palm messed with my kink right now, but I'll take the volume PR, and this was a HUGE mental barrier overcome--I knew time was long so blasted through the crush in 2 hits which was extremely intense.  

Push Ups - 4x7, Inverted Rows - 6x6 (the OCD in me really misses single spacing after this new upgrade :/ ...

Rowing - Supposed to be 18' UT1, stopped at 15:30. Hate, hate, hate anything over like 5 minutes, lol.  Gotta do more mobility or something to prevent these back pumps.  

Bending - all in IMP's

5x1 @ "I" DR 

3x1 @ "L" DR

Times for L bars - 1:42, 3:16, 3:30

Calisthenics 

Push Ups - 4x8

Pull Ups 6x7

Bending - all in one IMP
3x1 @ 17/64" DR
1x1 @ 9/32" DR (PR)

Time for 9/32 bend - 2:38

Botched the kink again, still working around the pain in my left palm. Might adjust my wraps going forward too, on my first crush hit it felt like the bar broke through the wraps altogether.  I have no idea how people do barehand bends!

Anyway, been really looking forward to hitting this goal.  Pain tolerance is becoming less and less of an issue--I think progress with one IMP will continue upward. 

• Like 1

Bending 
4x1 @ "I" Bar - IMP's
2x1 @ "M" Bar - BBW's
3x2 Iso's at 3.5, 3 and 2.5" 
After the Iso's - 1x1 @ IG 145kg

20160223_212348.jpg

Times for M bars - 2:15, 2:46
145kg attempt to end this cycle Saturday or Sunday.  Feeling good.  

Calisthenics
Push Ups - 2x12, 2x10
Inverted Rows - 6x9

Bending
Up to 1xF w/145kg 

I have the strength to bend this bar and more, but I botched the kink and had loose wraps so got locked up at sweep/crush again.  Bend starts at 7:00: 

This bar feels harder in the crush than any bar ive tried, but I know I can bend it.  No clue why I switched hands, I've literally never tried than in an attempt of any significance.  Totally destroyed my momentum from the start, and my wraps were very loose too as you can see.  Eh well, next time.  

• Like 1

Calisthenics 
Dips - 3x1 w/blue band
Pull Ups - 3x1 w/blue band
Push Ups - 3x9
Inverted Rows - 3x1 feet elevated 

Rowing
3x2' TR @ 2:12, 2:07, 2:02
HRR: 168, 124, 100

Bending - all bends in one IMP
5x1 @ "I" Bar 
3x1 @ FBBC SS Square

Times for square bends: 3:30, 2:27, DNF
Last square bend rotated to the flat side on the kink and was down hill from there.  Third kink hit ripped skin on my thumbpad open and called it.  This was the hardest bending session I've had in the time I've been bending, my hand skin feels like minced meat. 

Calisthenics
Pull Ups/Dips - 3x2 
Inverted Rows - 3x2
Push Ups - 3x10

Bending - all in IMP's no bands
6x1 @ "J" DR
4x1 @ "L" DR
2x1 @ "N" DR - sweep only - 4" to 3" in doubles

Times for L bars - 2:57, :23 (PR), 2:16, 1:57

Weird that the L bar times so inconsistent. All bars came from the same stock. I guess if I'm not right in the groove, it takes about 10x longer to finish the bend, lol.   

Very, very happy with the N sweeps.  Took the FBBC bar from 4" to within 2" in 3 hits, in about 5 seconds.  The same bar that stopped me over and over again before the new year. 

Calisthenics
Pull Ups/Dips - 3x4
Inverted Rows - 3x4
Push Ups - 3x10 +2.5lbs

• Like 1

Bending - all in one IMP
4x1 @ "I" Bar
1x1 @ 9/32" DR

Time for 9/32 was ~7:35. Another brutal 1 IMP session.  The 9/32 was supposed to be 2 bars, but 3 decent rips opened up between both hands, including where the bar hits the palm for the kink on both hands.  Getting through those 4 I bars - I bars - took 55 minutes.  Something isn't right.  I'm gonna think about things for a few days and maybe change programming a bit--it's been a continuous upward slope for 9 months with one IMP bending, and it might be time to change things up.  

Calisthenics
Pull ups, dips, inverted rows, lunges - all 3x5.  
Push ups were 3x10 + 5lbs

The thought is to build mental toughness and pain tolerance.  I'm thinking I need to "deload" and knock down the intensity a bit, and/or just substitute some mid-intensity, higher volume regular IMP's bending.  What do you think?  

I asked in case you had a specific goal in one IMP.

"but 3 decent rips opened up between both hands, including where the bar hits the palm for the kink on both hands."

^This seems like a lot to recover from to only build toughness.

I haven't figured out how to program bending at all. I only try to strike when the Iron is hot. The rest of the time I wonder what's wrong with me.

I asked in case you had a specific goal in one IMP

Yeah, not particularly.  I mean, bending a red in one IMP seems like a top-notch bend, but that's a ways off. For me, right now, one IMP's are a supplement to bending in other wraps.  

This seems like a lot to recover from to only build toughness

Yeah agreed, and good point.  I cut "half-IMP's" today, i.e. instead of 3 folds of an IMP, it's 1.5.  One IMP wrapped on a 9/32 nail is 14.5mm in diameter and this half IMP is 17.5mm (single IMP's is 25.5).  This will give me much better leverage to avoid the hand injuries but also build mental and physical toughness due to having half the padding of single IMP's.  

I haven't figured out how to program bending at all. I only try to strike when the Iron is hot. The rest of the time I wonder what's wrong with me.

haha yeah me neither.  As long as I'm not regressing and staying relatively injury-free whatever I'm doing at the time works for me.   

Bending - all in IMP's
5x1 @ "J" DR
3x1 @ "M" DR
2x1 @ "N" DR from 3.75" to 3" or less (in doubles)

Times for M bars - 4:08, 3:59, DNF (to 2 1/16" in 4:59)

Calisthenics
Pull Ups, Dips, Inverted Rows - 3x6 
Push Ups - 3x10 + 7.5lbs

Haven't been getting much sleep lately, and everything felt slow and weak.  

Bending - in "half IMP's"
3x1 @ "J" DR
1xF @ IG 130kg

Throw away workout.  I have final exams this weekend, there's a new president at my organization and everyone is on pins and needles about him calling in "consultants", and I may be making an offer on a house Sunday, and the stress got to me, big time.  I got a wild hair and attempted the 130kg bar in one IMP and bent it on the flat and never got past the kink.  Didn't rip my hands open this time, but threw my back out, lol.  Bailed on the calisthenics afterward.

The half-IMP's worked really well, I'll replace the one IMP bending with these for the immediate future.  

Bastard attempt a week from tomorrow, then a week off for my buddies bachelor party in California. Good timing.  

Bending
4x1 @ "J" DR - IMP's
2x1 @ 19/64" DR - BBW's
2x1 @ "N" DR - Doubles (from 3" to 2")
1x1 @ "Tall Golden Bastard" 3/8"x8" - Doubles

Times for 19/64 - :11, 1:02 (wraps fell apart at the sweep)

Felt strong and like I had some in the tank after the N sweeps so I wrapped up the 8" golden bastard.  Kink to sweep literally felt like a 1/4" bar, and the crush wasn't that bad--though I can see how it could be on a 7" golden.  People always said brass was springy, but I never understood how much so until bending it, that was incredible, lol.  Battery died about 5 seconds after the bend started so it won't count for the cert but eh well -- bend starts at 5:25 and took 3:07 

Regular bastard attempt Saturday.  Feeling good--it's about time to get this thing done.  Perfect timing right before a planned week off, too.  

20160322_172346.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KRC said:

Bending
4x1 @ "J" DR - IMP's
2x1 @ 19/64" DR - BBW's
2x1 @ "N" DR - Doubles (from 3" to 2")
1x1 @ "Tall Golden Bastard" 3/8"x8" - Doubles

Times for 19/64 - :11, 1:02 (wraps fell apart at the sweep)

What!?! Dude, get it! Is that 11 seconds on the 19/64!?!

Cert big!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

Is that 11 seconds on the 19/64!?!

haha, yup!  Feeling good lately.  Gonna kill that bastard on Saturday!

• Like 1

Awesome log!!! great to read!!!

You only ever bend DO? never played around with reverse or any other styles?

Keep up the good work man!
/peter

Hi Peter, thanks for the comments!  Yes, I only bend DO.  Maybe DU/Rev sometime down the road, but coming up on 9 months of DO bending, and I still have a long way to go before I accomplish my goals, so it will be DO for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 1