Kc's Bending Log

KRC

4 hours ago, KRC said:

Trying to not be dramatic here, but life is throwing everything it has at me right now.  

in the last month my engagement got called off, there was a death in the family, my house got robbed with over $40k in uncovered losses (including my bench grinder, hence no bending workout this week), and I got in a car accident yesterday.  Thankfully no one (including my dog who was home at the time of the robbery) was harmed amidst all of this.  

I don't know which end is up at the moment.  The home situation is further complicated by the fact that I'm in a land dispute with the seller (and have been since the day we closed two years ago), and we may not be able to sell the house.  

Still going to BJJ and I feel like I would explode if I didn't.  I have no idea what the next 6 months (or more) will be like and for someone who has detailed plans laid out at least as far, this is a difficult time.  

Damn son... 

i bite from the shit sandwich regularly, you ate the whole damn thing in one bite.

Im hoping things look up for you bro. Sucks to see shitty things happen to good folk. 

Edit: to prove my point, i started page “13”😞

Edited by KapMan

Thanks Shawn for the comment.  These things happen, I suppose!  Hard to realize this at the moment, but these are obstacles that will be overcome.  

Thanks again.  

• Like 1

On 2/20/2018 at 2:39 PM, KRC said:

Trying to not be dramatic here, but life is throwing everything it has at me right now.  

in the last month my engagement got called off, there was a death in the family, my house got robbed with over $40k in uncovered losses (including my bench grinder, hence no bending workout this week), and I got in a car accident yesterday.  Thankfully no one (including my dog who was home at the time of the robbery) was harmed amidst all of this.  

I don't know which end is up at the moment.  The home situation is further complicated by the fact that I'm in a land dispute with the seller (and have been since the day we closed two years ago), and we may not be able to sell the house.  

Still going to BJJ and I feel like I would explode if I didn't.  I have no idea what the next 6 months (or more) will be like and for someone who has detailed plans laid out at least as far, this is a difficult time.  

Sorry to hear about this.  Keep pounding away at everything and things will hopefully get better soon.

• Like 1

This is very sad to hear, I have no words for this, but I know you can make it through all of this. 

• Like 1

Holding steady at 2x BJJ a week.  All I can handle right now. 

Had a particularly terrible day today so when I got home to find David's bars for SS3, I ran in, changed my pants and went after it.  This is gonna be so fun.  Tried the 119, 190, and 203kg bars with no warm up.  Vid of 190kg below includes special guests.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KRC said:

Holding steady at 2x BJJ a week.  All I can handle right now. 

Had a particularly terrible day today so when I got home to find David's bars for SS3, I ran in, changed my pants and went after it.  This is gonna be so fun.  Tried the 119, 190, and 203kg bars with no warm up.  Vid of 190kg below includes special guests.  

Nice bending! No pad to start the bend? You are an animal. Nice job!

• Like 1

Thanks man.  I would like to but I can't find a way to deliver power and keep the bar stable with a towel.  Someone else used a really small one folded up to about 2" wide that I may try.  The big bath towel doesn't work for me, at least not for these short bends/skinny bars.  

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I finally got a training routine in place amidst this craziness and the plan for now is grip and bending twice a week wednesdays and Saturdays. 

I'm taking this time to go down a weight class to 185 for Jiu-Jitsu so I'm also running 5x a week and doing 2 strength and 2 conditioning workouts a week.  

First time doing anything more than a single bend or gripper close in ~2 years today- it felt amazing. 

Grippers -
3x5 @ Trainer, #1, #1.5
1x1 @ #2

Wrist Wrench -
3x5 @ 30, 35, 40
2x3 @ 42.5, 45

Steel Snapping -
3/8" x 18" HRS in 6:37. Been almost exactly two years since I snapped a bar, so way off form/performance, but it felt great. Ending heart rate was 174.

Previous snap PRs are 3/8"x14" in 1:45 and 7/16"x19.5" in 5:07.  I know I'll get back there fast.  

The day before our state locked down I had a BJJ competitionthat I partially tore two ligaments and a tendon, and totally severed another ligament in my left ring finger at, so braced snap is pretty much the only bending I can do. All unbraced is completely out. I guess it's called Jersey finger and it's a plain in the ass. 

Glad to be back on here and touching some steel again.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KRC said:

I finally got a training routine in place amidst this craziness and the plan for now is grip and bending twice a week wednesdays and Saturdays. 

I'm taking this time to go down a weight class to 185 for Jiu-Jitsu so I'm also running 5x a week and doing 2 strength and 2 conditioning workouts a week.  

First time doing anything more than a single bend or gripper close in ~2 years today- it felt amazing. 

Grippers -
3x5 @ Trainer, #1, #1.5
1x1 @ #2

Wrist Wrench -
3x5 @ 30, 35, 40
2x3 @ 42.5, 45

Steel Snapping -
3/8" x 18" HRS in 6:37. Been almost exactly two years since I snapped a bar, so way off form/performance, but it felt great. Ending heart rate was 174.

Previous snap PRs are 3/8"x14" in 1:45 and 7/16"x19.5" in 5:07.  I know I'll get back there fast.  

The day before our state locked down I had a BJJ competitionthat I partially tore two ligaments and a tendon, and totally severed another ligament in my left ring finger at, so braced snap is pretty much the only bending I can do. All unbraced is completely out. I guess it's called Jersey finger and it's a plain in the ass. 

Glad to be back on here and touching some steel again.  

Kevin! I am very happy to see this post. Great to see you snapping. Was your comp the last time you snapped? That was a great time. 

• Like 1

Hey Don good to see ya man!  Hope you and your crew are hangin in there.  

Yes the comp was the last snapping I did! Seems like forever ago.  Good time for sure!

• Like 1

Tuesday:
AM - Run 1.5 miles

PM -
Reverse Lunges - 3x10 each leg +5lbs
Push Ups - 3x8
Pull Ups - 4x3 w/50lb band
KB RDL - 3x8 @ 44lbs
KB OHP - 3x8 @ 36lbs

Wednesday:
AM - Run 1.5 miles

PM -
Wrist Wrench - up to 3x3 @ 46.25

Steel Snapping - 3/8" x 17.5" in 5:14. HR 156

slowly getting back into general and bending shape.  Starting at the lockdown, I took a full month off of any PT mainly due to work, and definitely feel it.  

Running is going well, I think due to my bodyweight being at 10 year lows

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Flesher said:

Welcome back!

Thanks dude! I dont know if we've met but I enjoy following your bending work.  Good stuff.  

• Like 1

Kevin, awesome to see you back at it and posting again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buccos1 said:

Kevin, awesome to see you back at it and posting again!

Thanks Carl good to hear from you.   Hope you're doing well!

Thirsday - 1.5 mile run

Friday - 1.5 mile run

Saturday - Reverse lunges- 2x10 +10lbs
Push ups 3x10
Pull Ups 4x4 -50lb band
Wrist Wrench 1x3 @ 47.5
Steel Snap 3/8"x17" in 2:36 HR 156

Snapping is coming back.  These arent taking as much out of me as they used to (so far) so I'll think about doing a braced bend on snap days, or alternating days, too.  

• Like 2

Monday
AM - 2 mile run
PM - KBRDL 2x10 @53lbs
Pull Ups - 5/4/4/4 -50lb band
KBOHP - 3x10 @ 36lbs
TGUs 5 reps each side continuously

Tuesday
AM - 1.5 mile run
PM - 2x10 each leg +15lbs reverse lunges
Pull Ups - 5/5/4/4 - 50lb band
Push Ups - 3x6 +10lbs
Wrist Wrench - 3x5 @ 40lbs
Braced Bend - 1/2"x24" in 46 seconds
Braced Snap - 3/8"x16.5" in 3:59 HR162

Glad I thought against trying a harder bar than the 1/2"x24 for a first braced bend back after 2 years off because even though it only took 46 seconds, it took more effort than my body remembered.  It will take some time to get used braced again, especially being 30-40lbs lighter than when I was bending regularly.  

Nevertheless, i bought an obscene amount of steel and look forward to bending regularly again.  

• Like 3

Wednesday- 1.5 mile run

Thursday-
AM - 1 mile run (fastest mile time since 2001)
PM - KBRDL 2x10 @62lbs
Pull Ups - 5/5/5/4 -50lb band
KBOHP - 3x6 @ 44lbs
TGUs 6 reps each side continuously w/36lbs

Friday
AM - 1 mile run
PM - 2x10 each leg +20lbs reverse lunges
Pull Ups - 5/5/5/5 - 50lb band
Push Ups - 3x8 +10lbs
Wrist Wrench - 3x6 @ 40lbs
Braced Bend - 1/2"x22" in 60 seconds
Braced Snap - 3/8"x16" in 6:08 156HR

Will stay with each 3/8" snap bar until I get it under 5:00 and then drop down in half inch increments.

• Like 2

Monday
AM - 2 mile run
PM - KBRDL 2x10 @70lbs
Pull Ups - 6/5/5/5 -50lb band
KBOHP - 3x8 @ 44lbs
TGUs 7 reps each side continuously w/36lbs

Tuesday
AM - 1.5 mile run
PM - 2x10 each leg +25lbs reverse lunges
Pull Ups - 6/6/5/5 - 50lb band
Push Ups - 3x10 +10lbs
Wrist Wrench - 3x7 @ 40lbs
Braced Bend - 5/8"x34" in 4:25
Braced Snap - 3/8"x16" in 4:20 HR156

Tried the elbow crease pull method on the braced bend and got ridiculous pull on that.  Both bends done in single DH wraps.  

• Like 1

Wednesday- 1 mile run 

Thursday
AM - 2 mile run
PM - Pull Ups - 6/6/6/5 -50lb band
KBOHP - 3x10 @ 44lbs
KB Swings - 3x6 @ 36

Friday
AM - 1.5 mile run
PM - 2x10 each leg +30lbs reverse lunges
Pull Ups - 6/6/6/6 - 50lb band
Push Ups - 3x6 +20lbs
Wrist Wrench - 3x8 @ 40lbs
Braced Bend - 34" in 2:04
Braced Snap - 3/8"x15.5" in 4:54 HR156

Bit the bullet and bought a third angle grinder to start cutting up bars.  Bending felt good today.  

• Like 1

Monday
AM - 2.5 mile run
PM - 2x10 each leg +36lbs reverse lunges 
Pull Ups - 7/6/6/6 -50lb band
KB OHP - 3x4 @ 53lbs
KB Swings - 3x8 @ 36lbs

Tuesday 
AM - 2 mile run 
PM - 2x12 each leg +36lbs reverse lunges 
Pull Ups - 7/7/6/6 - 50lb band
Push Ups - 3x8 +20lbs