Kc's Bending Log

KRC

First attempt with all 5 oval nails for Steel Shredder #2, done in 5:41.  

Times for each nail: 1:20, 1:12, 1:05, 1:00, 1:04. 

Very pleased with this, but eager to bring the time down.  5:41 only good enough for 6th place right now.  

Not gonna walk away from the overall comp without top 3.    

6.8.17 - W3D1

Bench: 6x6 @ 182.5
SGHP: 6x6 @ 95

Bench was easy peasy; the reps were flying up.  Last rep last set paused with a 3 count.  The high pulls on the other hand were brutal, lol.  It doesn't look like much  but by the end I was drenched in sweat, sucking wind bad and my traps and forearms were swole as they've ever been.  Awesome exercise.  

• Like 2

On 6/6/2017 at 7:20 PM, KRC said:

6.6.17 - Smolov W2D4

Bench: 10x3 @ 207.5
SGHP: 10x3 @ 110

Last rep, last set paused but was a bit of a grinder.  

In other amazing news... ref is lined up for red cert attempt at Nate's comp!  This is set up perfectly -- Nate as judge and an attempt in front of so many active benders.  Can't freaking wait.  If ever I need to keep things dialed in and on point, it's now.  Looking forward to the next 5 weeks.  

Kevin, did you pick the SGHP because you thought it would be a good option to help build your back for bending?  I have never done that exercise.  How do you like it.

Good luck on the red!  I just got my ref set up as well.

Yes, that's exactly right.  I've never had a problem building chest or shoulder strength, but always suffered getting upper back work in and the SGHP is the only barbell exercise that effectively hits my upper back.  Given how important that region is for bending, it was an easy lift to rotate in.  Barbell rows, shrugs, farmers walks, face pulls, pull ups... none of them did anything for my upper back, least of all deadlifts, ironically.  Squatting did a little, power cleans a little more, but nothing compares to the snatch grip high pulls, for me.  I absolutely love it.  It's building my back like never before (not to mention significantly improving my posture) and for me it had an unexpected positive effect on my grip/forearm strength.  

This video, this video, and this article were what I referenced when researching options.  

Nice!  When are you scheduled?

• Like 1

i will definetly check into the sghp and maybe start doing them.  Thanks for the info.

i don't have a date yet. IM is sending my ref the nails, he should have them soon.  My wife is going to have a baby any minute, with Monday being the set up date, but maybe sooner. That means maybe next weekend I can slip away and get it done.  Just playing it by ear right now, but soon.

Geez man, that's impressive, trainiing for the red cert with a wife 9mos in!  Congrats btw.  

Hope the cert and the birth all go smoothly!

• Like 2

6.9.17 - Smolov W3D2

Bench: 7x5 @ 195
SGHP: 7x5 @ 105

Didn't realize i was on my lsat set so didn't go for the pause, but all reps good. 

Another family trip this weekend, then bending on Sunday.  

48 minutes ago, KRC said:

Geez man, that's impressive, trainiing for the red cert with a wife 9mos in!  Congrats btw.  

Hope the cert and the birth all go smoothly!

Thanks man, baby girl born at 4 am today!!

On 6/9/2017 at 1:54 PM, Donc101 said:

Thanks man, baby girl born at 4 am today!!

Duuuuude!  Congrats man!  Hope everybody is doing well.  

• Like 1

Unbraced Bending

2/6 IMPs: 1/4" CRS
2/6 IMPs: 17/64" DR
2/6 IMPs: 9/32" DR
5/6 IMPs: 19/64" DR

Single IMPs: Red Nail (:14 PR)
Single IMPs no bands: Red Nail wobble only...

1-5/6 IMPs: 5/16" SS to 2-3/16"

ISOs -- 

Doubles: 8" Stainless Hex - from 4-5/8" to 4-1/4"

Here's the damage on that second red nail with the first one right below it.  

Variation happens but to bend one easily in 14 seconds and then only wobble one is concerning.  The wraps were the same used from the previous bend so they could have been tighter, but still not good.  Whatever the steel I'm not going to fail in front of everyone regardless.  

Happy with the stainless 5/16" attempt, got it under 2.25" in single IMPs (outer layer taken off after the sweep).  Crush is definitely improved. 

• Like 1

6.12.17 - Smolov W3D3

Bench: 8x4 @ 205
SGHP: 8x4 @ 115

Had a bit of a extra motivation today: I had been interviewing someone to be my #2 for the past month+ and was going to make an offer this afternoon to him, but he emailed me an hour before I was going to call and withdrew his application as he accepted another job... the one I got turned down for.  I think he wasn't ever intending to accept an offer from us, but was using my likely offer as leverage with the other org.  

Thus the reps were thrust upward with ferocity.  Last rep last set paused with a vengeance.  

• Like 2

up to 1xF @ IG185kg 
1x1 @ 7.5" Golden Hexabastard

So my thought is that the lifting routine absolutely helped the crush portion of the bend; I'd have to check to be sure, but I think 7.5" GHex is a crush PR.  Definitely harder than 7.5" shiny.  That said, my kink is gone, which is not good for the red.  I'm going to think over what I'm going to do for lifting from now until the comp tonight and make the call after work tomorrow, but whatever the lifting routine looks like, I need to go back to bending 2x a week.  1x a week is 100% not for me.  My hand conditioning is noticeably down, and again kink (biggest asset) is gone.  I know I can bend that 185kg bar and a small wobble is no bueno.  

Bench: 6x2 @ 175
Incline: 3x6 @ 115
OHP: 3x10 @ 75

Opted against the back to back Smolov.  Physically I think I can handle it but it's mentally draining getting up for set after set of fairly high intensity and high volume, and need to focus on the red.  

This training felt really good, and I've been wanting to see what effect incline has on bending.  Looking forward to a nice block leading into the comp.  

Hooked up with some local armwrestlers in the area tonight, and I'm considering putting bending on maintenance mode after SJ4 and get back into pulling for a bit.  We'll see.  

• Like 1

SGHP: 6x2 @ 97.5
Pull Ups: 3x6 @ BW +blue band
Barbell Rows: 3x10 @ 102.5

Curls for Girls: 1x10 @ 45

Going to bend just up to 1 red nail tonight.  Higher volume bending on Sunday with partials, etc. lighter day on Wednesdays with just a red in cert conditions until cert day. 

• Like 2

Bent a red nail last night under cert conditions in 8-9 seconds.  No video as I wasn't expecting that :/  Will take one on Sunday.  

Not sure what the deal is with that one attempt that I didn't finish the other day.  All reds that I've been bending were received the last week of April (had to check my bank statement for this one) and I bent the first one from that order four weeks ago.  No sense in speculating as to why it happened I guess, just move forward.  

Also snapped the second to last set of 5 nails I have for the steel shredder 2 comp yesterday and ripped open my thumb pretty good, right where you press down on the nail.  

Accordingly this will probably be my only official attempt for the comp, even though I know I can improve.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2017 at 9:31 PM, KRC said:

Yes, that's exactly right.  I've never had a problem building chest or shoulder strength, but always suffered getting upper back work in and the SGHP is the only barbell exercise that effectively hits my upper back.  Given how important that region is for bending, it was an easy lift to rotate in.  Barbell rows, shrugs, farmers walks, face pulls, pull ups... none of them did anything for my upper back, least of all deadlifts, ironically.  Squatting did a little, power cleans a little more, but nothing compares to the snatch grip high pulls, for me.  I absolutely love it.  It's building my back like never before (not to mention significantly improving my posture) and for me it had an unexpected positive effect on my grip/forearm strength.  

This video, this video, and this article were what I referenced when researching options.  

Nice!  When are you scheduled?

I did the sghp for the first time today.  I really like the exercise.  My upper back is real sore now.   I am going to start doing once a week. Hits the area of the back you need for bending.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Donc101 said:

I did the sghp for the first time today.  I really like the exercise.  My upper back is real sore now.   I am going to start doing once a week. Hits the area of the back you need for bending.

Nice Don, hope it helps!

• Like 1

Bench: 6x2 @ 180
Incline: 3x6 @ 120
OHP: 3x10 @ 80

SGHP: 6x2 @ 102.5
Pull Ups: 3x6 @ BW+5lbs blue band
Barbell Rows: 3x10 @ 107.5

CfG: 1x10 @ 50

1x1 - Red Nail cert conditions (:12s)
1x1 - Red Nail cert conditions (bent to probably a hair over 2" in :09 so it doesn't count :( )

1x1 - 9/32" SS @ 7" in IMPs
1x1 - 9/32" SS @ 6.75" in IMPs
1xF - 9/32" SS @ 6.5" in IMPs (got it to 2.25")

1x1 - 5.5" CRS SQ in BBW+Suede

Tried something different for my crush work, and cut up a bunch of 9/32" SS in 1/4" increments and wanted to see how many I could bend back to back and got a 6.5" bar to 2.25" and stopped at 5 minutes.  Tough crush with that volume and no break.  The CRS SQ was way easier than expected, bent it to like 1.25" and a quarter inch off center.  Maybe i'll knock some more of the square certs as my original goal of "8-10" FBBC certs on the bastard+ bars is not gonna happen this year.  

Bench: 6x2 @ 187.5
Incline: 3x6 @ 125
OHP: 3x10 @ 85

Steel Shredder #2 - went for the last 5 nails I had despite the thumb and got 8:15 or so. Pretty pissed that I didn't train for this really as if I beat 7:27 (Don!) I would have been in top 3 contention overall given the standings for the #2.  Oh well, live and learn.  Times were: 1:47, 2:00, 2:06, 1:13, 1:12.

Also bent another red nail fast, didn't time it but 10-12 second range to 1.5".  On sunday I'm going to bend one of my old reds (really old, like 2012), an S8 ninja nail, and one of the new reds I have and see how they all compare.  

• Like 2

Got engaged Friday and haven't trained last few days.  Very happy though :)

bent the following bars in the following order, with notes on the difficulty of each relative to the "new" red nail, all in single IMPs no bands: 

New red nail - 8 seconds
S8 Ninja Nail - Just slightly easier all the way through.  Very close to the "new" reds I have
70D Nail - Kink significantly easier than new red, crush slightly harder
Old red nail - about the same until crush which was noticeably harder

All bends were under 15s except the last red which took about 50s, mostly on the crush.  Not exactly the most scientific experiment ever, but overall I'm confident about the attempt in 2 weeks.  

• Like 2

Capture+_2017-07-06-13-37-26.png

• Like 1

Hell yeah, it's on!  Kill it man!

• Like 1

Bent up to another red nail in 7-8 seconds.  

I've done everything I can to test the difficulty if these bars, so with only 1 more bending training session before the comp left, it's time to just accept the uncertainty, forget about it, and plow ahead for what will be an epic cert day.  

Bent up to a red nail under cert conditions again under 10s.  

Also bent a 7.5" Golden Hex to a hair under 2" (1.94 to be exact) in 2:11.  And a quarter inch off center. Hit it down to under 1.75" for good measure with one extra hit.   Previous attempt was just under 2" with everything I had in about 8:30.  Gives me a hope that the 7" bar could go down if the stars align.  

http://imgur.com/nT3g2aD

Let's get this shit done!