KB Swings: 3x10 @ 16kg 

Tuesday 
2.5 mile easy run
KB Swings: 3x10 @ 20kg

Wednesday
SS7 Grapplers Attempt
Time: 7:00+

Youtube with the amazing cover photo again. Bend starts around 5:35

I had heard about people warping the bar on a bend extending the time but it had never happened to me. Not sure how to remedy this.  Maybe shorter, but faster bends?  Anyway pleased with the nail, I think about 40 seconds or so.  I can snap this s275 bar in under 2:00 easy, need to figure out the technique so that I keep the speed and power up but don't warp it. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, KRC said:

Light/Recovery Week

Monday
2 mile easy run
KB Swings: 3x10 @ 16kg 

Tuesday 
2.5 mile easy run
KB Swings: 3x10 @ 20kg

Wednesday
SS7 Grapplers Attempt
Time: 7:00+

Youtube with the amazing cover photo again. Bend starts around 5:35

I had heard about people warping the bar on a bend extending the time but it had never happened to me. Not sure how to remedy this.  Maybe shorter, but faster bends?  Anyway pleased with the nail, I think about 40 seconds or so.  I can snap this s275 bar in under 2:00 easy, need to figure out the technique so that I keep the speed and power up but don't warp it. 

Double bends can make a bar a nightmare. Smaller bends is only way to prevent. Are you doing the hardest steel option here? It only happens on easier steel. 

• Like 1

For the grapplers class yes this is the hardest steel.  It did immediately feel very soft.  Will try opening it up less next time.  

• Like 1

Thursday 7/9
5k easy run
KB Swings: 3x10 @ 24kg

Friday 
3.5 mile easy run
KB Swings: 3x10 @ 28kg

Short, 4 week 10k time trial prep starts Monday, and I took Sunday off from SS7 attempt due to a minor hamstring tear.  Not sure when or how it happened; i didn't feel anything I only noticed the bruising on the side/back side of my knee when sitting down in my shorts.  

Got the 36kg bell this week. It's "regular" in that it's are not like the rest of my collection which are competition style, which aggravates me to no end, but beggars can't be choosers.  I'm curious where all these 80lb+ KB users were before quarantine :hmm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Monday
10 min. warm up
20 minutes race pace +20 seconds 
2x hill runs
10 min warm down
KB Swings - 3x10 @ 32kg

Tuesday
5k easy run
KB Swings - 3x4 @ 36kg

Wednesday 
OFF 

• Like 1

Thursday
1 mile warm up, 3x(4' race pace+10s + 2' easy), 1 mile warm down
KB Swings - 3x6 @ 80lbs

I think this is the first "form check" video I've ever taken in 10 years of doing swings on and off 🤔 these are "hard style" but I prefer the arms slack during the up side of the swing

https://youtu.be/f0vzn-HoPQw

Friday
5 mile easy run
KB Swings - 3x8 @80lbs

Saturday
Drank a lot of wine and ate a lot of steak with friends from out of town. Also did the only reasonable thing one can do when they receive a phone book in the mail

https://ibb.co/gRXzR1L

Next couple weeks are gonna be rough going with work and other stuff. Still planning on 10k time trial 8/8.

Monday
1 mile warmup, 25 min race pace+ 10s, 3 Hill Runs at race pace, 1 mile warm down
KB Swings - 3x10 @80lbs
This run was very difficult
BJJ rolling at night

Tuesday
5k easy run
KB Swings - 3x12 @80lbs
25 minute yoga <-- felt amazing afterwards

Wednesday
1 mile warmup, 3x4" Interval run, 1 mile warmdown
KB Swings - 3x14 @80lbs
Yoga

Thursday
6 mile long run
KB Swings - 3x16 @80lbs
Yoga

Compressed the weeks workouts into 4 days because I'm spending the next 4 days in the Berkshires with the girlfriend for some much needed R&R and unplugging.  

More BJJ and back on regular steel training coming back.  

• Like 2

Tried another SS7 open class today.  Time down to ~5:08.  That short snap is such a pain!  Haha.  Im confident I can get this below 4 minutes with adjustments I discover each attempt. Bend starts around 6:10.  

I also sent out a fair bit of big steel to @vikingsrule92 .  Can't wait to watch the destruction man.  

• Like 2

Nice!

I gotta say though...at a quick glance, your lying snap looks like a kidnap victim trying to escape. 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, anwnate said:

Nice!

I gotta say though...at a quick glance, your lying snap looks like a kidnap victim trying to escape. 🤣

Haha there is no way for anyone (or, me at least) to look good doing the lying snap!

• Haha 1

Knee felt tweeky last Thursday and after it felt worse Tuesday, I took this week off of Kettlebells and running.   4x BJJ this week though.  

Did another SS7 grapplers attempt today... to be this far behind on a technique issue is really frustrating.  I took smaller bends this time and the warping seemed even worse. I can snap the rebar in 1:45 and know I can snap this bar in under a minute.  Need to really evaluate technique before next attempt. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Started running and kettlebells again this week after giving the knee two weeks rest.  Also started a modified Keto too.  The BJJ weight classes in the org I compete in have a huge jump between my current class (210) and the one below it (185).  I walk around most days between 205 and 210 and I have to at least try to get to 195-190 the week of a comp in late October and then cut to 185 for comp day.  We'll see.  IBJJF also has a 194 weight class which seems much more reasonable but I generally like Grappling Industries better for a number of reasons. 

Anyway, SS7 Open Class attempt below. Time keeps improving.  I gotta get better at the nail snap, it's killing my time.  Grapplers class on Wednesday and Open Class again on Sunday.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Those middle weight classes are frequently the most competitive. If cutting weight isn't your jam you may find you prefer not waiting around all day as you work through a 30 man bracket. Besides theres always the absolute and eating is generally more fun than not...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 8:21 PM, Andrew Dube said:

Those middle weight classes are frequently the most competitive. If cutting weight isn't your jam you may find you prefer not waiting around all day as you work through a 30 man bracket. Besides theres always the absolute and eating is generally more fun than not...

Totally, great points. I think i'm leaning more towards just getting stronger and leaner at 210 than going for 185.  If the next lowest weight class was 200 or 195 even, maybe.  But 185 with same day weigh ins is a long way down and it really sucks so far haha.  

• Like 1

Over the past 8 weeks or so I haven't been able to keep up with the running and KB's 4x a week (and steel bending 2x a week) as I had all summer, but I'm adjusting my plan for 3x run/KB with less intensity - thinking of them more as the means toward keeping certain baseline strength and conditioning levels rather than competitive pursuits in their own right. I was leaner and had very noticeably improved conditioning on the mats after 3 solid months of 4x/wk KB and running and I'm hoping to keep some of that.

I did however keep up with my steel bending training throughout which I'll keep at 1x a week for now, maybe 2x if schedule allows.  I enjoyed the David Horne SS7 and will keep going along those lines.  Maybe try something ridiculous like the man killer snap for the upcoming Zass day. Either way, 1x a week some kind of bending/snapping going forward.  

Here's my best attempt for the open class.  

• Like 2

M- teach BJJ + sparring
T - 1 mile run + KB Swing 2x10@16kg
W- off
Th- BJJ
F- 1.5 mile run + KB Swing 3x10@16kg
Sa- BJJ
Sunday - Bastard kink only (no snap) + G8 snap (G8 in 1:35). Both in single WOG swedes. Also snapped a 10mm S275 bar at 11" and 158kg in single WOG suede in 13:38 or so.

The plan was to just kink a bastard and not snap it intentionally to get used to the feel of a 5/16" bar ahead of my planned feats for Zass day.

Surprised how quickly the G8 went given how hard it felt to start.

https://youtu.be/vJGsk6W6Kpw

The short snap was tough, more warping. Can improve the time.

https://youtu.be/L_Rncl-92j4

• Like 2

M- teach BJJ + sparring
T - off
W- BJJ
Th- off
F- BJJ
Sa- BJJ
Su- DNF bending workout. DNS really- I finished the warmup and wrapped up a red and G8 to snap lying on my back and couldn't kink the red. Big ego blow, though I think more to do with feeling off (especially, being dehydrated) than not being able to do it, as I easily melted a bastard last week.

Stuck with it for about 10 minutes then tried to at least snap the G8 and couldn't even kink that. Just a bad day and all my energy gone to the red attempt.

Zass day in two weeks but ill see how I feel next week before deciding on some feats.

• Like 1

M- run/KB AM + teach BJJ/sparring PM
T - lunchtime BJJ 60 minutes of hard sparring
W- run/KB AM + BJJ PM
Th- off
F- run/KB AM + BJJ Drill Only PM
Sa- BJJ
Su- Red snap attempt in single WOG suedes - kinked it and went at it for 10:00 and called it hoping to have some energy for Zass day. Happy with the progress, well see how things go next week.

• Like 1

M- run/KB AM + teach BJJ/sparring PM
W- run/KB AM + BJJ PM
Th- off
F- run/KB AM + BJJ Drill Only PM
Sa- BJJ
Su- no Zass day attempt.  Lost a chunk of skin off the inside of my pinky last week and it has not healed hardly at all since then.  No way to make the mankiller lying down attempt.  Not on Zass day itself anyway.  It will go down relatively soon though

• Like 1

M- run/KB + teach BJJ/sparring
W- run/KB + BJJ 60 minutes hard sparring
Th- off
F- run/KB + BJJ Drill Only
Sa- BJJ
Su- bend red + snap g8 + snap g5 all lying down.  Wore a bandaid and finger tape over the tear on my right pinky from two week ms ago as its still healing... and tore another one on a different part of the same finger 😄

Total time 11:30.  https://youtu.be/j9IRLRgDbq0

Also got my 4th stripe on my blue belt in BJJ yesterday.

31 minutes ago, KRC said:

W- run/KB + BJJ 60 minutes hard sparring
Th- off
F- run/KB + BJJ Drill Only
Sa- BJJ
Su- bend red + snap g8 + snap g5 all lying down.  Wore a bandaid and finger tape over the tear on my right pinky from two week ms ago as its still healing... and tore another one on a different part of the same finger 😄

Total time 11:30.  https://youtu.be/j9IRLRgDbq0

Also got my 4th stripe on my blue belt in BJJ yesterday.

That is real strong bending lying down Kevin.  Red is tough lying. You will have the lying man killer in no time. Congrats on the BJJ stripe on your belt too.

• Like 1

T - lunchtime BJJ 30 minutes of sparring
W- run/KB + BJJ
Th- off
F- run/KB + BJJ 90 minutes hard sparring with takedowns
Sa- BJJ
Su- Lying snap g8 + g5 + 6" nail in 7:00. 

https://youtu.be/vWFyD24cw9Q

Started the sequence by trying to kink a red but it didn't go so well.  Never had a pair of wraps rip in half like that before.

https://ibb.co/pRSLtj8

Little dings on my hand and thigh but otherwise ok thankfully.   See 3:20 above.  Kinking from the lying position is the hardest part of all this IMO.  

Need to set up my angle grinder again or at least dig out my file.  Order for new suedes included as part of the DH grapplers comp steel order. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KRC said:

T - lunchtime BJJ 30 minutes of sparring
W- run/KB + BJJ
Th- off
F- run/KB + BJJ 90 minutes hard sparring with takedowns
Sa- BJJ
Su- Lying snap g8 + g5 + 6" nail in 7:00. 

https://youtu.be/vWFyD24cw9Q

Started the sequence by trying to kink a red but it didn't go so well.  Never had a pair of wraps rip in half like that before.

https://ibb.co/pRSLtj8

Little dings on my hand and thigh but otherwise ok thankfully.   See 3:20 above.  Kinking from the lying position is the hardest part of all this IMO.  

Need to set up my angle grinder again or at least dig out my file.  Order for new suedes included as part of the DH grapplers comp steel order. 

Kevin, you try to DO the red? That is how I normally do it. I think easier than the leg bend lying.

Hey Don, I saw you DO yours in your lying mankiller video and I may need to work on that.  With my neck injury from 2 years ago I lost most of my DO strength and haven't done more than a G5 on one or two occasions since then, but I wonder if working on getting it back would help.  

• Like 1