Kc's Bending Log

KRC

First day back on the armwrestling table in 3.5 years.  It felt great.  Good bunch of guys and good teachers.  I got a bunch of pins which I wasn't expecting, but had absolutely nothing for anyone my weight or higher :blush.  Can't wait till next week.  

I'm also ramping up triathlon training, it's 8 weeks out.  Biking/running 5x a week in the morning before work, and swimming/biking in the same lake it is being hosted in twice a week.  

Bending workouts don't start back up until this Friday or the one after, and my entire training plan - lifting and bending - will be structured to support armwrestling.  I'll post it soon.  

Also I'm having some BIG ideas about an all bending comp.  Im close to having the events, rules, and marketing finished, and will be working on timing, venue, and logistics in the coming days/weeks.  Once it's all set I'll make a thread in the contest section.  

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Phew time to dust this baby off.  "Operation Body Comp" is underway: 

9/19 
AM - Around the mile loop by my house: run 1 min, walk rest of the way
PM - Ergometer/KB Circuit: 3x(Row 500m @ 2:15 pace, 6 KB Swings @24kg) <-- rest 2 minutes total between rowing sets. Swings begin 30 seconds after rowing.  Works out to about 30s rest // Swings // 50s rest

9/20
AM - Run 2/Walk rest
PM - Short Bending up to Red Nail in IMP's @ 1:00
Superset - Push Ups - 3x5 // FG Pull Ups - 3x5 w/Blue+Purple
Long Bending 1x5/8" @ 36" in 35s

9/21
AM - Run 3/Walk Rest
PM - Erg/KB Circuit: 3x(Row 500m @ 2:15 pace, 8 KB Swings @24kg)

9/22
AM - Run 4/Walk Rest

9/23 
Short Bending up to Red Nail in 5/6 IMP's @ 1:00 (Decent kink in hard 19/64" x 6.5" in IMPs)
Superset - Push Ups - 3x5 +5lbs // FG Pull Ups - 3x5 +5lbs w/Blue+Purple
Snapping - 1x3/8" @ 16" in 3:27 (heart rate up to 180 on this!!)

9/24 
Erg/KB Circuit: 3x(Row 500m @ 2:15 pace, 10 KB Swings @24kg)

Weight is actually up 3-4 pounds in two weeks, but feeling good. 

9/25
AM - Run 6/Walk rest

9/26 
AM - Run 7/Walk rest
PM - Ergometer/KB Circuit: 3x(Row 500m @ 2:10 pace, 6 KB Swings @24kg) 2:30 rest intervals

9/27
AM - Run 8/Walk rest
PM - Short Bending up to 5/16" Drill rod @ 6.5" in IMPs
Superset - Push Ups - 3x5 +10lbs // FG Pull Ups - 3x5 +10lbs w/Blue+Purple
Long Bending 1x5/8" @ 35.5" in 1:01

9/28
AM - Run 9
PM - Erg/KB Circuit: 3x(Row 500m @ 2:10 pace, 8 KB Swings @24kg)

9/29
AM - Run 10

9/30 
PM - Short Bending up to 5/16" Drill rod @ 6.5" in IMPs
Superset - Push Ups - 3x5 +15lbs // FG Pull Ups - 3x5 +15lbs w/Blue+Purple
Snapping - 1x3/8" @ 16" in 2:44

10/1 
PM - Erg/KB Circuit: 3x(Row 500m @ 2:10 pace, 10 KB Swings @24kg)

• Like 1

My upper body strength is plummeting. I've taken more ego hits to my DO bending than I care to over the past three weeks, so I'm pivoting to lower intensity, higher volume next week, just to kind of maintain.  Gaining DO while doing all this cardio isn't possible right now.  May also add back some BB Bench and BB Rows to supplement the calisthenics to slow the decline.  

Had a job interview that I did my best to ensure I didn't blow like the last one, and that took a lot of time and energy.  Missed 2 running sessions and 1 rowing sessions as a result.  Paid for it after getting back on track.  

10/2
AM - Run 11

10/3 
AM - NO RUN
PM - Ergometer/KB Circuit: 3x(Row 525m @ 2:05 pace, 6 KB Swings @24kg) 3:00 rest intervals

10/4
AM - NO RUN
PM - Short Bending - mainly just messing around, bent 6x5/16" HRS @ 7" in 1:06 (tried for under a minute) in IMPs
Superset - Push Ups // FG Pull Ups (don't remember details)
Long Bending 1x5/8" @ 35" in :56

10/5
AM - Run 12
PM - NO ROW

10/6

10/7 
AM - Run 13
PM - Short Bending don't remember, nothing worth noting.  
Superset - Push Ups - 3x5 +15lbs // FG Pull Ups - 3x5 +15lbs w/Blue+Purple
Snapping - 1x3/8" @ 16" in 3:05

10/8
PM - Erg/KB Circuit: 3x(Row 575m @ 2:05 pace, 10 KB Swings @24kg)

I've been pacing my snap attempts at one full open/close cycle every 15 seconds, every 12 seconds, 10s, etc. but I think I'll just blast away without regard for pacing this time and see how fast I can do it. I feel like I could do under 2 definitely.  

10/9
AM - Run 14

10/10 
AM - Run 15
PM - Ergometer/KB Circuit: 3x(Row 625m @ 2:00 pace, 6 KB Swings @24kg) 3:40 rest intervals

10/11
AM - NO RUN
PM - NO BENDING

10/12
AM - NO RUN
PM - NO ROW

10/13
AM - Run 16

10/14 
AM - NO RUN - Erg/KB Circuit: 3x(Row 650m @ 2:00 pace, 8 KB Swings @24kg) 3:50 rest intervals
PM - NO BENDING

10/15
off

As you can see, not a great week.  Going to start tracking number of completed vs. planned workouts.  This week 5/10.  

End of first cycle of rowing.  After a 500m test this week, will start the cycle over again with 50 extra meters each session, and a 28kg bell vs 24.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Rowing: 25' UT2 2:30 r21 HR144

First day of first six week cycle leading up to the bending only comp.  99% on the date being Saturday 3/31.  Waiting on confirmation from a co-promoter and will update the comp thread, hopefully ASAP.  

Plan is 5 weeks of rowing 4x/wk, bending 2x/wk, and benching 4x/wk.  Random grip work and arms throughout.  

Rowing week looks like UT2, UT2, UT1, AT/TR/AN rotating one of the three each week. Bending week will be minimal pads DO with Reverse and DU thrown in randomly for now 2x/wk, braced bend one of those days, and snap another one of those days.  

Rowing: 26:30 UT2 2:30 r21 HR128

DO Bending: up to 2x9/32" DR, 1x1/4" SQ in 1/2 IMPs
Braced Bend: 5/8" x 36" 

Bench: 3x5 @ 135
BIceps: 3x10 @ 35
Triceps: 3x10 @ 35

Hard to keep form and everything together rowing at that slow a stroke rate.  it is everything I have to stay at 21 and everything I'm reading says UT2 should be between 18-20; that's inconceivable slow to me.  

Low intensity/high volume for now with DO bending until I get back into it.  Same with weights.  Never really trained arms before so looking forward to how this goes.  

Rowing: 12:00 UT1 2:20 (2:19.8) r23 d4 HR150

Love UT1, I feel like I could go all day at that pace/rate.  

Faster/shorter rowing session, and bending/benching tomorrow.  

Rowing: 6:00 AT 2:10 (2:09.5) r25 d4 HR165

Unbraced: up to 3xK DR, 2x1/4" SQ in 1/2 IMPs

Braced Snap: 3/8" x 16" HRS in 2:28 (HR 162)

Short on time so bench arms and grip tomorrow.  

Bench: 3x5 @ 145
Bi's/Tri's: 3x10 @ 45

Rowing: 28:00 UT2 2:30 r21 d3 HR144

Other than the stroke rate being a bit higher than I would like, very very happy with this UT2 session, by far the best one yet.  I was in the grove and felt efficient and smooth.  

In other news however, I think the bending comp is in jeopardy.  It looks like I'm on my own for all of it - hosting, acquiring steel, rating steel, etc. - and right now I'm not sure I can do that, especially with a wedding coming up in 6 months.  

I do have one idea that may help solve a lot of the problems and drive participation though.  Thinking of doing it all online.  I get all the steel and send it out on an "on order" basis, like David did for his steel shredders. The rating steel component is still a big problem as I am not set up for that, and don't have a rating rig in the budget right now.  

Will think this over and post in the thread, hopefully ASAP.  

That sucks about the contest. Hopefully it all works out.  I was really looking forward to it. Good luck with everything. 

Yeah, likewise.  I think it can likely still happen, and one thing I didn't mention in my earlier post is that I may try and host at my house depending on interest given that there may also be an online component.  

Stay tuned.  

• Like 1

On 12/12/2017 at 8:51 AM, KRC said:

Yeah, likewise.  I think it can likely still happen, and one thing I didn't mention in my earlier post is that I may try and host at my house depending on interest given that there may also be an online component.  

Stay tuned.  

An online contest is a cool idea! Would certainly make things easier for me, when Boston is an 8+ hour drive. Especially if NAGS is going to be in Elmira this year. It's half the distance and an easier sell to my wife. Does the steel need to be rated if you provide everyone with the same stock?

• Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 6:53 PM, KRC said:

In other news however, I think the bending comp is in jeopardy.  It looks like I'm on my own for all of it - hosting, acquiring steel, rating steel, etc. - and right now I'm not sure I can do that, especially with a wedding coming up in 6 months.  

I do have one idea that may help solve a lot of the problems and drive participation though.  Thinking of doing it all online.  I get all the steel and send it out on an "on order" basis, like David did for his steel shredders. The rating steel component is still a big problem as I am not set up for that, and don't have a rating rig in the budget right now.  

Will think this over and post in the thread, hopefully ASAP.  

Sad to hear this!  How many people have expressed a serious interest in attending, if it were in MA?  As it is now, I am 99% certain to attend, and have billed this as my vacation for the year, with a stop-over in Boston.  (Didn't take one last year either.)  There's nothing like an in-person bending comp, in my experience.  The Beast in the East 2 was one of the most exhausting days/trips of my life, but absolutely worth it.  An unbelievable time and a true test of all-around bending.  Getting a chance to hang out with like-minded benders was priceless too.

I have a few ideas I could discuss if rating the steel is a major issue.

• Like 2

Id prefer the online contest, MA is a 13+ hour drive. And since my wife has gotten sick,  id rather not stray far from home. Im will to chip in on the cost of steel. I dont want you doing all this out of pocket.

Kevin, if I knew what a device to rate steel looked like, and what kind of things you have to work with to attach it to, like a squat rack or something; I could put something together for you and we could work out a pretty spectacular deal I'm sure.

54 minutes ago, Adam Juncker said:

Kevin, if I knew what a device to rate steel looked like, and what kind of things you have to work with to attach it to, like a squat rack or something; I could put something together for you and we could work out a pretty spectacular deal I'm sure.

@acromegaman I believe knows what you need. I swear he made one awhile back. 

What's up guys, thanks everybody for chiming in, very helpful feedback in deciding on next steps.  

The long and short of it is that this comp WILL still happen, and there WILL be an in person component to it, here at my home in Sherborn, Massachusetts.  All are welcome, but the only space I have for this is my relatively small two car garage.  The date I have in mind right now is 3/31.  Easter is the next day, so if I hear that will be a problem for people, I'm open to moving it.  

On 12/13/2017 at 12:28 PM, Andrew Dube said:

An online contest is a cool idea! Would certainly make things easier for me, when Boston is an 8+ hour drive. Especially if NAGS is going to be in Elmira this year. It's half the distance and an easier sell to my wife. Does the steel need to be rated if you provide everyone with the same stock?

Andrew, @Andrew Dube this is the biggest open question for me right now.  I think I have an idea about how to resolve for scoring, and would appreciate any input.  Without the ability to rate the steel, I will buy drill rod at all available sizes and assume that the gradations in size represent equal sequential in difficulty.  I know that this is an imperfect assumption, but it is the only way to proceed without rated stock.  Warmups with contest bars in an attempt to find "easier" stock of bigger size in order to gain more points will be prohibited.  

For example, say five competitors max out on the following bars - Q DR, 21/64" DR, P DR, O DR, 5/16" DR.  The Q DR will receive 1 point, the 21/64" 2 points, etc. irrespective of the actual difficulty (as measured by the "rating" process) of the bars.  More details will come when I update the comp page.  

On 12/13/2017 at 12:52 PM, Buccos1 said:

Sad to hear this!  How many people have expressed a serious interest in attending, if it were in MA?  As it is now, I am 99% certain to attend, and have billed this as my vacation for the year, with a stop-over in Boston.  (Didn't take one last year either.)  There's nothing like an in-person bending comp, in my experience.  The Beast in the East 2 was one of the most exhausting days/trips of my life, but absolutely worth it.  An unbelievable time and a true test of all-around bending.  Getting a chance to hang out with like-minded benders was priceless too.

I have a few ideas I could discuss if rating the steel is a major issue.

Hey Carl, @Buccos1 I would call about 4-6 "probable" and 2 that I would call basically definite.  I hear what you're saying and your feedback was integral in my decision to host here at my house.  Happy to chat about your ideas here or by PM.  

On 12/13/2017 at 1:06 PM, KapMan said:

Id prefer the online contest, MA is a 13+ hour drive. And since my wife has gotten sick,  id rather not stray far from home. Im will to chip in on the cost of steel. I dont want you doing all this out of pocket.

Hey Shawn @KapMan, yes I think the online part is a big selling point.  I've gotten feedback from several international benders saying they would compete if it were online, and I think this will make things very interesting.  More details will be available in the comp thread, but getting steel out to people will be similar to what David Horne did for his steel shredder comps.  Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it, but I don't want anyone paying for any of the hosting expenses beyond an entry fee, if even that (TBD).  

On 12/13/2017 at 5:13 PM, Adam Juncker said:

Adam @Adam Juncker, thanks for chiming in.  We can talk here or by PM about this.  Time is not on our side as we are four months out (it will come quicker than we expect) and my punctuality in corresponding right now isn't what it normally is with wedding planning/job stuff.  For now, have a look at this thread and this thread for lengthy discussions of how it's set up. There are others on here, too. There's also this which seems very efficient to me.    

@Donc101

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let's get this back on track - 

Unbraced Bending - all bars drill rod at 6/5" - 1x1/4" in 1/3 IMPs, 17/64" in 1/2 IMPs, 3x9/32" in 2/3 IMPs

Overhead Press - 3x12 @ 65
Wrist Wrench - 3x12 @ 35

Rowing - 28:00 UT2 2:35 r20 d3 HR138

Rowing - 28:30 UT2 2:29.9 r19 d3 HR138

Braced Snap - 3/8" x 16" done in 2:10 HR 150

Sledge work - 8lb hammer

Rotation - 3x12 @ 3"
Radial - 3x12 @ 4"
Ulnar - 3x12 @ 6"

Update about comp coming in the next few days.  

• Like 1

Rowing: 29:00 UT2 2:28.8 5844m r19 d3 HR132 <-- felt great, like I could go for an hour+

Unbraced Bending: 6.5" Drill Rod
1x1/4" in 1/3 IMP's
1x17/64" in 1/2 IMP's
3x9/32" in 1/2 IMP's

Crush 1x9/32" SS from 4" to under 2" in IMPs

OHP: 3x10 @ 75

Hammers
Rot - 3x10 @ 3.5"
Rad - 3x10 @ 4.5"
Uln - 3x10 @ 6.5"

Rowing: 13:00 UT1 2:18.4 2817m r22 d3.5 HR144

Braced Bending:
1x1/2" @ 24" warm up
1x9/16" @ 24" fail - bent to about 35' slightly pre kinked.  This will be a good goal bar irrespective of the comp between now and summer. 
1x5/8" @ 35.5" in 1:17.

Bi's/Tri's: 3x10 @ 50

Wrist Wrench: 3x10 @ 36.25 (weights are estimated for WW)

That wraps up 2017 training year.  As frustrating as the last few months have been with respect to bending specifically, it was a pretty good year all things considered, even though all bending accomplishements were done between January and July:

- Bent the following bars: O, P, and 21/64" drill rod under gold nail cert conditions, Q drill rod at gold nail length in doubles, bent my first bar of 5/16" SS at 7" (non-FBBC), 6.5" bastard, IG175kg, 6.5" hexabastard, IG 180kg, 7.5" golden hex, 5.5" Stainless square, United Steel 5/16" stainless (first to cert it), 6.5" x 5/16" drill rod in IMP's, and Red Nail cert.  Also hairs away from 3 other FBBC certs.  Not what I had in mind at the start of the year, but a pretty good spread of intermediate bends that I'm happy with and will build on this year.  

- Rowed 200,000 meters. 

Not much else physically.  Running/triathlon plans went sideways with a very old knee injury recurring, and lifting has been very poor for a while with my back and now shoulder lately.  

Goals for next year: 

- Mobility work before and after each training session, and some sort of active recovery on off days if possible.  Corollary is not sitting at work as much as possible.  None of this will be possible if I'm constantly stiff and near injury.  

- Stick to the plan no matter what.  There's a probability that I'll get a promotion/new job in the next few weeks which has organization-wide responsibility, and is an extra 30-40 minutes commute each way, so sticking to training is imperative to meet goals and maintain general well being.

- Bodyweight under 220.  235 today, wedding in six months.  Fantasy is 200, but 220 is more a more reasonable hill to climb.  

- Host the first of hopefully many Bay State Bending Bash comps

- Rowing: million meter club.  It's easier than it sounds barring injury

- Complete local triathlon again barring injury

- Bending - unbraced: Q at gold length in double IMPs, 6" bastard, 6" hexabastard, shiny, IG185kg. braced: 3/4" x 44, 5/8" x 28, 9/16 x 20, 1/2 x 14.  snap: 1/2 x 18" in under 10 minutes, 7/16" x 14" (if I can find enough of it), 3/8" x 10".  

• Like 4