Kc's Bending Log

KRC

Congrats! And don't forget to always slam the hell out of it on the crush! The quicker you bend it the tighter you'll end up at the end - maybe try gripper-style at the end? Good luck getting your cert scheduled!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Congrats! And don't forget to always slam the hell out of it on the crush! The quicker you bend it the tighter you'll end up at the end - maybe try gripper-style at the end? Good luck getting your cert scheduled!

Thanks man!  I'll try the gripper style crush and see how it goes.  

• Like 1

Awesome. Look forward to watching you cert the red and cheering you on. 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Smolov W1D1

Bench - 6x6 @ 162.5
SGHP - 6x6 @ 65

The bench was harder than expected.  Not sure how benching through soreness thoughout the week will go :)

5.23.17 - Smolov W1D2

Bench - 7x5 @ 175
SGHP - 7x5 @ 75

Wasn't sure how this was going to go based on how sore I was in the chest all day today, but as the sets went on it got easier.  None of them were really difficult, just painful with the DOMS. 

5.25.17 - Smolov W1D3

Bench - 8x4 @ 185
SGHP - 8x4 @ 85

Same story as last time - first couple sets were rough, but they became almost easy as it went on.  Last set last rep was paused.  Still very sore.  

• Like 1

5.26.17 (Friday) - Smolov W1D4

Bench - 10x3 @ 197.5
SGHP - 10x3 @ 95

Last rep last set was paused, but it was not easy.  Soreness not really present today, a day later.  Bending tomorrow then onward to week 2 of smolov.  

Unbraced Bending

2/6 IMPs: 1/4" CRS
2/6 IMPs: 17/64" DR
2/6 IMPs: 9/32" DR
4/6 IMPs: 19/64" (fail at 5-3/8")

Double IMPs: 5/16" SS (fail at 4-3/8")
Single IMPs: Red Nail (1:05)
Single IMPs no bands: (1:04)

Partials -- 

Sweep: Single IMPs: 21/64" DR - no movement

Crush: 

3/6 IMPs: N DR - from 4" to 2" (5 hits)
4/6 IMPs: O DR - no movement
5/6 IMPs: P DR - from 4" to 3.75" (1 hit)
Single IMPs: 21/64" DR - from 4" to 2.75" (3 hits)

ISOs -- 

Doubles: 8" Stainless Hex - from 8" to 7.25" (1 hit)

Braced Bending

1/2" x 22" 
5/8" x 33" (stuck at about 80 degrees - totally out of gas)

Not sure what to make of this session, lots of highs and lows.  All I'll say for now is that I underestimated toll Smolov would take on my hands and wrists.  From the first bend of the 1/4" bar I could tell they were fatigued.  Not sore, just not as strong.  Chest, shoulders and back felt pretty good all things considered, but this was a slog, with lots of unexpected failures.  

After week 3 of Smolov there's effectively a week off of weights followed by a bending session 1 week after the previous bending session and I will be monitoring how I feel extremely closely.  The goal is red nail and FBBC certs, so if the benching and snatching is compromising that, I'll change something for the 4 weeks prior to the comp.  

5.29.17 - Smolov W2D1

Bench: 6x6 @ 172.5
SGHP: 6x6 @ 80

All good. Last rep last set paused.  Triceps are sore, presumably due to the crush work yesterday. 

• Like 1

5.30.17 - Smolov W2D2

Bench: 7x5 @ 185
SGHP: 7x5 @ 90

Last rep last set paused.  Halfway through the meat of the program. 

• Like 1

Steel Shredder #2 practice

4xOval nails in 9:54.  Times per nail, in order were 3:30, 2:40, 2:10, 1:34.  Current top 3 are sub-5:00 for 5 nails which is impressive.  I have 3 sets of 5 nails left and I can get the hang of this, I'll have to. 

Heard back from that job of a lifetime - after interviews, I made top 3 but not chosen.  On the flip side, a couple hours later, I heard from IronMind that they're setting up a ref for me to cert at Nates' comp!

• Like 3

On May 28, 2017 at 3:12 PM, KRC said:

Unbraced Bending

4/6 IMPs: 19/64" (fail at 5-3/8")

Double IMPs: 5/16" SS (fail at 4-3/8")
Single IMPs: Red Nail (1:05)
Single IMPs no bands: (1:04)

Partials -- 

Sweep: Single IMPs: 21/64" DR - no movement

Crush: 

3/6 IMPs: N DR - from 4" to 2" (5 hits)
4/6 IMPs: O DR - no movement
5/6 IMPs: P DR - from 4" to 3.75" (1 hit)
Single IMPs: 21/64" DR - from 4" to 2.75" (3 hits)

ISOs -- 

Doubles: 8" Stainless Hex - from 8" to 7.25" (1 hit)

Braced Bending

1/2" x 22" 
5/8" x 33" (stuck at about 80 degrees - totally out of gas)

Not sure what to make of this session, lots of highs and lows.  All I'll say for now is that I underestimated toll Smolov would take on my hands and wrists.  From the first bend of the 1/4" bar I could tell they were fatigued.  Not sore, just not as strong.  Chest, shoulders and back felt pretty good all things considered, but this was a slog, with lots of unexpected failures.  

After week 3 of Smolov there's effectively a week off of weights followed by a bending session 1 week after the previous bending session and I will be monitoring how I feel extremely closely.  The goal is red nail and FBBC certs, so if the benching and snatching is compromising that, I'll change something for the 4 weeks prior to the comp.  

Good work here!  Where are you buying your HRS from?  In the past, I had bought some HRS that actually turned out to be CRS, which made the bend a ton harder.  This happened 2 or 3 times, I think (twice from the same supplier).  Fighting through stuff like this will make you stronger, when you really need it.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2017 at 7:58 AM, Buccos1 said:

Good work here!  Where are you buying your HRS from?  In the past, I had bought some HRS that actually turned out to be CRS, which made the bend a ton harder.  This happened 2 or 3 times, I think (twice from the same supplier).  Fighting through stuff like this will make you stronger, when you really need it.

Thanks Carl!  I think onlinemetals.com. It flakes a lot, which makes me think it probably is HRS and that the length/angle was a weak point for me.  Tried it again tonight in fact and got 0 movement.  Need to work on the under leg pulling style.  Seems to me that it's the only way I could get past this point and the pain is real on my quad/hamstring.  

Unbraced Bending

5/6 IMPs: 19/64" DR

Single IMPs: Red Nail (:24)
Single IMPs no bands: Red Nail (:15 PR)
Doubles: 5/16" SS (~3:00)

Partials -- 

Sweep: BBW's: 21/64" DR - from 5.5" to 4"

Crush: 

3/6 IMPs: N DR - from 4" to under 2" 
4/6 IMPs: O DR - from 4" to 3.75" 
5/6 IMPs: P DR - from 4" to 3"
Single IMPs: 21/64" DR - from 4" to 2.25" 

ISOs -- 

Doubles: 8" Stainless Hex - from 7.25" to 4.5"

This was only the second 5/16" SS bar I've bent to completion under 5'.  

Much better bending today.  Likely because I fell off the Smolov wagon and had a few days of unplanned "rest" :/  I had a family trip this weekend that I totally forgot about, including leaving town at 10am Friday and having no gym access, and Thursday night prep ran over so didn't get a chance to train.  I have one this coming weekend too Gonna think about what I do next as comp prep, because clearly the high volume upper body stuff + rest = positive bending results.  First thought right now is do smolov over 4 weeks instead of 3.  Not sure at this point, and not pleased I'm off track. 

• Like 1

Red in 15 is fast!  Good job man.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

Red in 15 is fast!  Good job man.

Thanks Don.  Did you contact IronMind yet?

Yes, they said they are setting everything up.  Are you training the grip events for SJ4 or just concentrating on bending?  You think the benching has helped with your crush?

33 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

Yes, they said they are setting everything up.  Are you training the grip events for SJ4 or just concentrating on bending?  You think the benching has helped with your crush?

Nice! Good luck.  I'm sure you'll kill it.  

No, no grip training and I'll only be "competing" in the red and fbbc ceet attempts.  Don't tell nate! :blush

Although it's only been 2 week, yes I think the benching definitely has helped.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KRC said:

Nice! Good luck.  I'm sure you'll kill it.  

No, no grip training and I'll only be "competing" in the red and fbbc ceet attempts.  Don't tell nate! :blush

Although it's only been 2 week, yes I think the benching definitely has helped.  

No No.  You will get you red Nail and bastards between 9am and 10am.  After that...you will compete...no matter how Crappy you do.  After all...I hear the cert isn't legal without the ref signing off on it! ;)

• Like 2

Ha ha ha, looks like you are doing the grip comp too Kevin.  What FBBC certs are you doing?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, anwnate said:

No No.  You will get you red Nail and bastards between 9am and 10am.  After that...you will compete...no matter how Crappy you do.  After all...I hear the cert isn't legal without the ref signing off on it! ;)

Hahaha fair enough!  So it shall be.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donc101 said:

Ha ha ha, looks like you are doing the grip comp too Kevin.  What FBBC certs are you doing?

I asked for the golden hex.  Might be punching a bit above my weight, but I can easily bend the 8 and 7.5" bars and have taken the 7" for a good ride a few times.  Banking on comp adrenaline.  Go big or go home, right?

Shiny is probably a safer play ,but I don't think I can handle any more failed attempts on that bar mentally, so going for something different, but close. 

• Like 1

6.5.17 - Smolov W2D3

Just picked right up where I left off with the benching. It won't allow me time to do a test between cycles, but the goal is not bench 1RM #'s as much as it is support for bending.  Instead of a full week off next week, it will be 5 days.  That's the only difference between what I'm doing and what I should be doing. 

Bench: 8x4 @ 195
SGHP: 8x4 @ 100

Last rep, last set paused.  

6.6.17 - Smolov W2D4

Bench: 10x3 @ 207.5
SGHP: 10x3 @ 110

Last rep, last set paused but was a bit of a grinder.  

In other amazing news... ref is lined up for red cert attempt at Nate's comp!  This is set up perfectly -- Nate as judge and an attempt in front of so many active benders.  Can't freaking wait.  If ever I need to keep things dialed in and on point, it's now.  Looking forward to the next 5 weeks.  

• Like 3