Kc's Bending Log

KRC

Bending 

2/6 IMP's: 1/4" SS
3/6 IMP's: 17/64" DR
4/6 IMP's: 9/32" DR 
5/6 IMP's: 19/64" DR (x3)
Red Nail in 1&1/6 IMPs - Red Nail (1:47 PR)

IMP's no bands - 21/64" DR (18 seconds PR)

Those are the smallest wraps I've bent a new red in, and in the fastest time too.  The 21/64", long DR attempt melted instantly.  Got crazy and wrapped up a Q DR in IMP's w/o bands, and only managed ~10 degree wobble in two hits.  Probably could have bent it but definitely not in under a minute, and I want to save up for the IG 175kg and 8" shiny next week.  Big jump from the 21/64" to Q.  I think I'll do the same progression with the long Q bar that I am with the 7" red.  Start with maybe 1&1/3 IMP's and take away 1/6th each time.  By SJ4 I'm hoping to have bent the 11/32 or S DR in doubles, and the Q under cert conditions.  

My final submission for the steel shredder comp, 10mm x 14" in about 4 minutes.  Should have gone for 12mm, as I believe all top 5 spots will be 12mm bars.  Last I knew, right now i'm the fastest 10x14" and so in 5th place (i.e. in the medals), but I'm sure that will change.  In any case, this was really fun, and I will keep this and general braced bending in my training indefinitely. The snapping is a great strength as well as conditioning workout.

Sure is.  I am really enjoying the snapping and also am going to be doing it going forward.  What was the key to beating your previous time by so much? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donc101 said:

Sure is.  I am really enjoying the snapping and also am going to be doing it going forward.  What was the key to beating your previous time by so much? 

Three things:

1. I was rested.  The difference between doing any kind of bending for me on poor sleep and quality sleep is enormous.

2. The towels on my leg. All my previous attempts were done without towels and so my legs would get extremely sore and bruised,  and the bar was very unstable when 'opening' it.

3. Just moving along the learning curve.  I'd never done anything like this so each time I tried it I got better results.   First 10x14 attempt was a DNF within the 20 minutes, second was 12 minutes, and third today was 4 minutes.  

Also knowing that a fast time could get me 5th place was a good motivator (though I still doubt my bend is good enough for 5th).

Do you do any kind of unbraced bending?

Unbraced bending is my main focus now.  I had never done any braced bending, except a few easier horseshoes, before this contest.  I wanted to do a cert video for the big bastard today.  My wife normally videos my bends.  She is sick and was in bed so I tried to set up the camera to video myself and messed it up.  The bend was done easily, I will need to get a good video next week.  I tried to do a faster 10mm x 14" snap today but tore my hand good and started bleeding real good.  I felt stronger and was not getting winded like my previous attempts.

What is your next goal with bending?

On 2/24/2017 at 7:18 PM, Donc101 said:

What is your next goal with bending?

Congrats on the big bastard!  

For unbraced, on Monday i'll be attempting an IG 175kg bar, and an 8" shiny.  The month after that I have a 6.5" Hex, IG 180kg, 7.5" Shiny, and 8-3/8" 11/32" DR as goals.  I guess my next "big" goal is the 7" Shiny (will attempt the month after next).  I bent the bastard, hexabastard, and golden bastard all relatively easily, but haven't for the life of me been able to get a shiny past 2.5".  My crush is weak :) . 

For braced and snapping, my incremental goals for this coming month are 43" x 5/8" braced bend, and 24" x 1/2" snap.  

15 hours ago, Donc101 said:

Your time held up.  Congrats!  A lot of strong people in that contest.

Thanks!  I had a really great time doing this comp and can't wait for the next one.  

My crush is my weak spot also.  You done any ISO work?  I am thinking about starting ISO work for my crush.

On 2/26/2017 at 11:20 AM, Donc101 said:

My crush is my weak spot also.  You done any ISO work?  I am thinking about starting ISO work for my crush.

I did briefly for a while last year, and either I was doing them wrong or they didn't do anything for me.  I'm open to integrating ISO's later on down the road, but partials have been far more effective for me, at least on the sweep.  

Bending

up to 1x1 @ IG175kg
1x1 @ 8" Shiny

24" x 1/2" HRS snap attempt (stopped at 20:00)

Been 10 days since I did any DO bending, and I lost the feel a little bit.  Got the bend but it took a while and the kink to sweep transition was ironically the weakest part.  

Snap attempt was only 3 days removed from the steel shredder attempt and after my DO attempts, so not optimal, plus I didn't have pads on my legs.  I'm sure I can get it next time with pads and some rest.  The attempt today was completely and utterly exhausting and the pump in my forearms, upper back, and shoulders was unlike anything I've ever experienced.  

Braced snap attempt - 24" x 1/2" fail, stopped at 15:00 and lay motionless on the floor in utter exhaustion for 10 straight minutes, lol.  Tried a different strategy this time-- it didn't work.  This one was a brand new bar, so I'll work this one and the first one until they snap and add the times to each for a cumulative total.  

Bending

2/6 IMP's: 1/4" CRS & 17/64" DR
3/6 IMP's: 9/32" DR 
Red Nail in 1&5/6 IMPs - Red Nail (:48 PR)

Partials

Kink - 5/16" DR - from straight to 4" (3 hits)
Sweep - 5/16" DR - from 5.5" to 4"
Crush - 5/16" DR - from 4" to under 2"; N DR - from 4" to under 2"; 7.5" Shiny - from 4" to right at 2"

Excellent session, I definitely needed this.  Let's keep this rolling.  

SGHP - 3x3 @ 95
OHP - 3x3 @ 95

I haven't been doing any meaningful weight on these exercies, citing my back pain but using super light weights was getting me nowhere.  I'll increase these lifts 20 and 10 pounds respectively going forward, and hopefully surpass my strength levels when I was barbell training regularly.  All time PR is 145x3.  I think I set some ridiculous goal this year for like 185 OHP, but it will be fun training it consistently whether I reach the goal or not.  

Bending

4/6 IMP's: 19/64" DR (2:45)
1&4/6 IMP's: Red Nail (:40 PR)

Partials - single IMP's

Kink - 5/16" DR - from straight to 4" 
Sweep - 5/16" DR - from 5.5" to 3.75"
Crush - 5/16" DR - from 4" to under 2"; N DR - from 4" to under 2"; 7.5" Shiny - from 4" to 2"

Feeling great.  

Push Ups - 3x5
Barbell Row - 3x5 @ 95
OHP - 3x10 @ 65

Braced Bending

1 - 5/8"x43"
1 - 5/8"x39"

Both bends were pretty easy, I did them both in my work clothes with no warm up... I have no idea what a "good" braced bend is, so I'm just going to keep cutting these down until I get into a good working zone.  

Had one bar of 3/4" steel laying around and felt good so gave it a whirl.  Still have no idea what this means, but this bar was more awkward than it was difficult.  Got it to near 90 relatively easily and the crush was cake.  

Bending

3/6 IMP's: 9/32" DR (x2)
1&3/6 IMP's: Red Nail (:42 PR)

Got the red nail to 2-1/8" in :25, after measuring and one more hit - :42

Partials - in 5/6 IMP's

Kink - 5/16" DR from straight to 4.25"
Sweep - 5/16" DR from 5.5" to 3.75"
Crush - 5/16" DR from 4" to under 2"; N DR from 4" to ; 7" Shiny from 4" to 2-5/8"; 6.5" Hex from 3.5" ... no movement.  

Everything felt good again; bent that hex on the flat and off center ... got absolutely no movement on it at all.  The shiny was tough, too.  Hopefully this reduced wrap work on partials will pay off.  

Bending

4/6 IMP's: 19/64" DR (:25 PR)
1&2/6 IMP's: Red Nail (:42 PR)

Doubles: 6.5" Hexabastard (3:15)

Partials - 5/6 IMP's

Kink - 5/16" DR - from straight to 5" (2 hits)
Sweep - 5/16" DR - from 5.5" to 3.25"
Crush - 5/16" DR - from 4.25" to just under 2"; N DR - from 4" to 2.25"; N DR - from 4" to 2.5"; 7" Shiny - from 2.5" (no movement)

Pretty wiped after all this.  DOesn't look like much, but after that 5/16" crush down partial, I was spent (as you can see by the failed N's and shiny).  

Today was the highest volume and intensity of the cycle, so I suppose things are going according to plan.  Also, girlfriend is going away for a week next week so I should get some rest/sleep for once, lol.   

Push Ups - 3x5 +5lbs
Barbell Row - 3x5 @ 115
OHP - 3x10 @ 70

Braced Snap 

24"x1/2" - 9:39.  This was the second attempt at the first bar, for a total time of 29:39.  

These 1/2" bars are hard to snap.  

Bending

3/6 IMP's: 9/32" DR x3
1&1/6 IMP's: Red Nail (4:44)

Doubles: 11/32" DR at 8-3/8" (fail)

Partials - 5/6 IMP's

Sweep - 5/16" DR - from 5.125" to 3.25" (2 hits)
Crush - 5/16" DR - from 4" to under 2"; N DR - from 4" to 2"; 7" Shiny - from 2.5" to 2.25" (3 hits)

All sorts of things went wrong on the red attempt, mostly during the kink.  That carried over to the 11/32" attempt, which I've gotten a lot farther than I did today, and with less effort.  The shiny partial went all .25" in the first hit.  Next two which I unloaded into were no movement.  Frustrating.  

Good days and bad days, and today was a bad day.