Starting Planning For Az Cactus Grip 2016 Comp

acorn

Just 3 weeks out folks. Get your entries in.

Current Athletes Entries submitted and fees paid.

Gil Goodman

Andrew Pantke 

Maria Bascetta

Benjamin Assaf

Michelle Harrison

Entries in but not yet paid

Martin Braun

Edited by acorn

Making progress on the trophy grippers for the contest. 

20160308_205519.thumb.jpg.c70582897da6e2

• Like 8

Gorgeous!

• Like 1

Soooo pretty!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jared Goguen said:

Soooo pretty!

Thanks! I think they are as well!

- Aaron

At this point 7 athletes entered including myself.

We are 2 weeks out from the comp as of tomorrow. If you are planning on attending and have not yet get your entries in! Especially so food, etc can be planned appropriately. Would hate to not give away all of the trophy grippers due to lack of entries or people not showing up.

Sunday 3/13/2016 I will be putting on a group grip training session from noon to 2pm at our house. Likely will be the last one before the comp. Get there if you can to try the contest implements, etc.

- Aaron

On 2/24/2016 at 11:01 AM, Squeezus said:

Handles are looking amazing. Can't wait to see the finished product.

On the DB lift, will tilt be allowed?

I kept getting yelled at to do this at your contest. How the hell do I tilt a DB of that size? I'm thinking literal here. A demo might help too because I'm a mountain troll and we aren't very smart.

13 hours ago, KapMan said:

I kept getting yelled at to do this at your contest. How the hell do I tilt a DB of that size? I'm thinking literal here. A demo might help too because I'm a mountain troll and we aren't very smart.

In medleys, most people lift the inch like this. You move your hand to the back of the dumbbell handle so that the heel of your palm is pressed against the globe. This makes it roll a lot less so it is easier to lift. The "correct" way to lift it is to lift it with the globes level, but in a medley it is too hard to bother judging every lift for exact form so tilt is allowed.

I think to a certain extent, the hand also has something to do with it.  I always have issues with tilt.  Also Gil - Aaron said you wanted to try a double Inch lift right?  I will bring my Inch to Aaron's (so long as I remember).  Might also bring my 50# blob.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, bwwm said:

I think to a certain extent, the hand also has something to do with it.  I always have issues with tilt.  Also Gil - Aaron said you wanted to try a double Inch lift right?  I will bring my Inch to Aaron's (so long as I remember).  Might also bring my 50# blob.

Yes yes yes, I would love to try a double inch lift. Thanks so much.

• Like 2

Getting closer. Have 3 more pretty solid verbal confirmations and expect possible 2 or 3 more. We might just break 10 competitors. Also Tim Struse said he plans to join us and possibly compete.

- Aaron

• Like 3

My left hand came to life the other day, and picked up the Inch, so I will definitely bring my Inch DB.  Hopefully I will not be too smoked after the contest to try a double lift along with you Gil.

• Like 3

Contest is this Saturday, 5 days out. Will likely do a dinner out somewhere on Friday night with whoever is in town. Those that are traveling let me know when you get into town. I will be off from work on Thursday and Friday for my furlough days this week and finishing up last minute stuff at home in case you wanted to come by and visit.

Current Athletes Entries submitted and fees paid.

Gil Goodman

Andrew Pantke 

Maria Bascetta

Benjamin Assaf

Michelle Harrison

Martin Braun

Martin Braun Jr.

Steve Callahan

Ian Gillaspie

Entries in but not yet paid

Garrett Smith

Becky Myrick

• Like 1

For folks coming in from out of town - I will try to make sure I have extra cooler space in case you need some place to keep your goodies during the comp.

Also for those doing extra to make it into a lower weight class, weigh ins will start at 8am at my house before I head over to the park. Please let me know if you will be planning to do this and I can give you directions. Otherwise you can weigh in before rules meeting starts at 10am at the venue.

- Aaron

• Like 1

4 days out. Trophy grippers are finished. Will try to get some good pics if I can. They came out amazing! Finishing up the last few other things for the comp this week.

• Like 3

Packing up the clan tonight. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Come on down and thaw out. Supposed to be mid 80's on Saturday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

:ohmy

• Like 2