Dead Hang Challenge

Evan Raftopoulos

I've never tried deadhang for time with both hands like this and with a thicker bar but felt pretty strong with it. I won the challenge at the ninja warrior gym this past weekend and broke the dead hang record there and I owe it all to Grip Sport. It's my secret weapon lol.

the rules were pretty simple, you can switch hands anytime or can use both hands. At first I thought it was only with one hand and when I realized it was two I was thinking ok this is gonna take a while.

• Like 7

Very cool. Congrats.

• Like 1

It wasn´t a regular bar either.

It was like an axle?

Makes it harder!

I´ve hung for almost a minute in one hand on a regular 1" chinup bar.

Never tried two hands.

I will next week.

How long did you hang?

How much do you weigh?

Im 100kg. 220lbs.

• Like 1

Very cool. Congrats.

thanks Nate!

It wasn´t a regular bar either.

It was like an axle?

Makes it harder!

I´ve hung for almost a minute in one hand on a regular 1" chinup bar.

Never tried two hands.

I will next week.

How long did you hang?

How much do you weigh?

Im 100kg. 220lbs.

yes it was a thick bar not sure how thick. I never tried two hands either until this challenge. I usually do one hand with added weights. I've done one hand with holding a 100lb dumbbell on the other hand for 15 seconds. I enjoy this more vs two hands because two hands just takes forever and I get bored. I think I was hanging for 4 min and 27 seconds but I could have kept going, I just felt there was no point because I had already won. Right now I'm about 155lb /70kg, 5'9".

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos
  • Like 1

I like eagle loop hangs, never tried thick bar or regular bar. Does look like it would get pretty boring. Nice work!

• Like 1

Nice work, I remember seeing a TV show "man vs beast" where a gymnast was up against an orangutan in this :D

I wonder how long is possible to hang like this for a human, gymnasts and light climbers certainly has the advantage.

• Like 1

Dang, that is a long time to hang on that bar... seems like torture to me lol :santa:

Great job man

• Like 1

Awesome hanging Evan. Looks like a lot of fun.

• Like 1

10/10 on the dismount.

haha thanks Matt!

I like eagle loop hangs, never tried thick bar or regular bar. Does look like it would get pretty boring. Nice work!

thanks man,

I also like one arm deadhangs on Eagle loops, i've done them before with 45lb plate on the other hand for time, it's much different than the bar and for me it feels easier. I was able to do more than 600lb jefferson deadlift with the eagle loops but I don't believe I can dead lift that much with a regular bar. i think pain tolerance is more of a factor with eagle loops vs bar.

Nice work, I remember seeing a TV show "man vs beast" where a gymnast was up against an orangutan in this :D

I wonder how long is possible to hang like this for a human, gymnasts and light climbers certainly has the advantage.

thanks man, I was also looking for world records for this but didn't find much.

Nice! Solid grip endurance there.

thanks Chuck!

Dang, that is a long time to hang on that bar... seems like torture to me lol :santa:

Great job man

thanks Matthew, it was a bit of a torture towards the end but more mentally because I didn't know how long the other guys will stay on!

Fun stuff, haha!!! :grin:

thanks man, fun indeed.

Awesome hanging Evan. Looks like a lot of fun.

thanks brother!

I found a few vids on YT when where they compete like this in different weight classes, but with one hand only.

Also there's a TV show in Sweden called "Mästarnas Mästare" (I believe the TV show is originally from Belgium if I'm not mistaken) where they compete in this, I don't know exactly how long they hang because the cut the program so much but I guess it's around 5 minutes. Women and men are competing against each other, so far the women has been the best at it because of their lighter bodyweight, athletes who use their back and shoulders a lot in their sports seems to best at it.

• 2 months later...

What is your best one arm hang time ?

From what I'm gathering ,the 1 minute mark is a milestone to shoot for.?..

2 hours ago, David Mitti said:

What is your best one arm hang time ?

From what I'm gathering ,the 1 minute mark is a milestone to shoot for.?..

not sure brother, i' ve never tested max one arm hang time on regular bar, only on weird grip stuff like the gumball from threeball climbing :P

deadhangs on regular bars become a torture after a while even if you have the grip to keep going

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

7 minutes ago, Evan Raftopoulos said:

not sure brother, i' ve never tested max one arm hang time on regular bar, only on weird grip stuff like the gumball from threeball climbing :P

deadhangs on regular bars become a torture after a while even if you have the grip to keep going

Yeah I noticed that the other day when I tried them. Got to the 30 second mark and could really feel the pull, grip was still there...

This is really impressive - I there was a grip challenge in my work gym, although it was on those commercial gym rubberised and slightly slanted pull up bars, which I find a bit awkward to get a good grip on, I managed 2min 30sec and my forearms were smoked, literally couldn't hold on to the bar any longer.

In the Netherlands we have an attraction on the fair which is called "hang je rijk" / hang yourself rich.
You need to hang at a thick bar (about 1-3/4"~ 2") for 2 minutes. If you succeed you get €50,-

maxresdefault.jpg

The trick is that the bar hangs loose in an u-frame at the sides so the bar can rotate, mixed grip is not allowed. I think it like a rolling thunder but then upside down. Nobody makes the 2 minutes so the fair makes a lot of money that way. 
@Evan Raftopoulos do you think you can make the two minutes?

Edited by Grind
  • Like 3

We used to have the one hand hang as a competition event back when I was at uni. We used a fixed pull-up bar (probably around an inch in diameter so quite narrow) and my best time was 1min and 45 sec. with one hand. I weighed 90k back then. The trick is to place the bar in the middle of your palm with a bent wrist (works if the bar is fixed and thin).

Edited by Mikael Siversson

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 2:19 AM, Grind said:

In the Netherlands we have an attraction on the fair which is called "hang je rijk" / hang yourself rich.
You need to hang at a thick bar (about 1-3/4"~ 2") for 2 minutes. If you succeed you get €50,-

maxresdefault.jpg

The trick is that the bar hangs loose in an u-frame at the sides so the bar can rotate, mixed grip is not allowed. I think it like a rolling thunder but then upside down. Nobody makes the 2 minutes so the fair makes a lot of money that way. 

We have several competitors with a 2-2.1:1 axle/bw ratio that would probably at least get very close.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2016 at 11:19 AM, Grind said:

maxresdefault.jpg

I have no idea, what is something of similar difficulty that I can try?

I 'm thinking of getting another rolling thunder to practice two hand weighted deadhangs/pullups. 

29 minutes ago, Evan Raftopoulos said:

I have no idea, what is something of similar difficulty that I can try?

I 'm thinking of getting another rolling thunder to practice two hand weighted deadhangs/pullups. 

I think two 1.5" crushers would work. But it's really easy to build and I think a nice add-on for a ninja gym. You can place different bars to increase difficulty (1"/1.5/-2").
Wonder what it would do in a ninja course. Gripping 5 or 6 rotating bars in a row. :D

• Like 1

I have 2.5 and 2" crushers. I'm not good at building stuff but I can try one hand deadhang on the 2" crusher for time and we can come up with a formula that translates that to two hands on two 1.5 crushers :tongue 

that challenge is definitely interesting, next time I'm in Netherlands I might look for it! 

found the vid