Magnus Samuelsson And #4?

Griparn

It was a spiral fracture of the humerus. This is where it normally snaps, usualy due to too much side pressure and bad body positioning (ie. your body in front of your arm).

David

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maverick

• Strong Man

• Tom of Iowa2

• Matt Van Weele

No its the promoters or TWI or Edmonds :whacked ...not the athletes making the claim.

it

it's just funny if you sit down and watch a bunch of old tapes all in the same day and you notice this... :laugh

if you think about it though...the promoters(or whomever makes the claim)should keep better records.It makes EVERYTHING else hard to believe to the fans. I.E.IF they lie about height and weight are they lying about the weights these guys are lifting... :blush (i don't think so...but to the casual observer..who is also a WWF fan :D ...they might star questioning the entire process)I have heard kids say things llike nobodya can REALLY do those things :erm

Samuelson DID weigh around 270 when he broke Mega mans arm though.It was(i think?) his first WSM contest...he has progressively gained weight and mass over the years...not that hard to do with weight training when you are 6'6"(or whatever 200CM is)and have that kind of large bone structure......

i would not want to armwreslt any of these guys

I have also heard that mega man was never the same after the incident. It is however very possible to come back to armwrestling after a break. I know Brzenk broke his arm a a young age when he first started. About 90% of armwrestling breaks are spiral fractures and unfortunately these do require surgery to repair. It is very intimidating to see an armbreak, and the really weird thing is it is relly loud, it is like a .22 going off.

I rememebr the last tiem I actually Armwrestled my dad. I've had an official table for a while and one day we went at it. He beat me right ahnded so I wanted to get him left. We started and his body positioning was great, but I think the age factor and the lack of exercise kicked in. His arm didn't break but his tendon sort of popped extremly loud just like a .22 going offf. He was in pain for about 6 months afterward. It just now started going away. He still everynow and then Feels a slight pain in his arm. I have to say it's a tough match even now. like I said on his first try with the #3's hegot them 1.5-2 cms from clsoing. The match sorta looks like the one Sammuelson had < < when it coems to size that is.

Does anyone know if Samuelson and John Brzenk ever met up in a match?

Another bit of Nathan Jones trivia is that he fought in the first "Pride" fighting show in 1997. He lost to Koji Kitao (big japanese guy that got his nose broken by Mark Hall in a UFC 9 if anyone has followed the UFC's on PPV) Jones looked extremely clueless on the ground, but if he's been in pro-wrestling, that fight could have been worked. Pride was notorious for throwing worked fights featuring Japanese fighters in some of their early shows. Sorry for the rambling, but just found it kind of interesting how Jones has made the rounds from WSM to fighting, to pro-wrestling... Small world.

PS: you can download a clip of the fight (zipped file, but it's safe) HERE

Edited by CMunger

This may be a very heated topic, and Im going out on a limb with this one but my guess would be if Magnus and Brzenk ever met it would be no contest, Brzenk would dominate. Remeber Magnus won the european title once, Brzenk has won over 30 WORLD titles. There is no doubt in my mind the magnus is much stronger than Brzenk, but strength isnt everything in armwrestling.

Guest gripmaster316

Absolutely!!! Just look at the Magnus and Jones match. Jones had over one hundred on Magnus, but the more experienced one prevailed. This other guy seems to be pretty strong. But he is a little light isn't he?? Perhaps that remark has nothing to do with anything, but I think magnus would prevail due to the strength in his hands and forearm. If he really can close a four, that would be quite the hand to grab on to, wouldn't it???

You dont understand the power of Brzenk. Armwrestling does use alot of muscle but it requires just as much tendon strength. I am able to close the #2 at any time I feel, I am close to the #3's. In april at the Vermont state armwrestling championships I brought me grippers, and one of the other superheavies couldnt close my trainers. I ended up pulling him later on in the night and he plowed through me like I was a 3rd grade girl.

Brzenk is the smartest puller to ever be in this game. If he dosnt want to face magnus's hand he will take it out of the equation, and the same goes for ant other body part. Magnus is strong, but beleive me Brzenk is no weakling and I would willing to bet that Brzenk is a more powerful arm wrestler. Another thought that comes to my mind is the size of Magnus, his forearm would be so long that is something brzenk could take advantage of.

If I had to pull Magnus I know what I would do (I know I would be slaughtered but if I had to ) His hand would be way to powerful for me so right from the go I would slip with his so we could go into the straps. This would eliminate most of the use of his hand. Then in the straps I would brace my leg on the table leg on his side of the table and push off with it. If I could seperate his hand from his body that would take away the power from his biceps. Then I would focus on his wrist, using about as much backpressure I could and any weight advantage I would have over him(if I have any at all).

This may be a very heated topic, and Im going out on a limb with this one but my guess would be if Magnus and Brzenk ever met it would be no contest, Brzenk would dominate. Remeber Magnus won the european title once, Brzenk has won over 30 WORLD titles. There is no doubt in my mind the magnus is much stronger than Brzenk, but strength isnt everything in armwrestling.

I agree not many have put down Brzenk's arm and hes taken on some beasts and thats all they do is armwrestle. I think John would dominate Magnus. Not taking away from Magnus at all as he would destroy John in a strongman contest.

I think the Russian Alan Karaev has 2-0 in matches with Brzenk. Ok, Brzenk have had some tough matches before, but I don't even think Karaev is training for armwrestling. He is a sumo wrestler. But Brzenk is still the best armwrestler through the years.

Allen Karaev is a true monster, and a great armwrestler but the two have only met once and I will give you the history of the meeting. In these big tournaments oversees, usually the golden bear tournaments or world tournaments there is a thing called the supermatch. This is when the two big dogs duke it out to see who is the king of the castle.

John Brzenk decided to go a different route and pulled the tournament. This means that he pulled the superheavies, at the world, all day long. Then he went in to face Allen Karaev, who was fresh, he hadnt armwrestled anyone.

Just because John Brzenk is the best in the world doesnt necessarily mean he is the strongest (although this may be the case). John is a thinker and if you put him in a series with Karaev my guess would be Brzenk-8 Karaev-2.

Brzenk is the most humble man iun the world and afterward stated how strong Karaev was and how he was surprised at his power. He also mentioned he was pretty sore going in. In my opinion Karaev won that series because the two had never met before. Now that Brzenk knows his style of pulling I doubt the same situation would happen again

Which one? I m not sure about Karaev. I know he is into sumo wrestling know but I dont know if he still pulls.

Brzenk is still probably the most powerful talented and succesful armwrestler on the face of this planet. He isnt in the guinness book of world records for nothing.

I have spent quite a bit of time with Magnus and he is the real deal. He closed a number three in front of me with no set a few(2) reps then ground it loud on the third rep and held it so I could get a picture. There is no doubt in my mind about this mans strength. On that same day in Atlanta he toyed with with Inch replica and did come close with a #4 with NO warmup OR max effort.He IS a real man of honor and a fine sportsman... I agree with others he just regards his grip as just a part of being a "strongman".I have said before as far as "natural"grip ability both he and Mark Henry are in a class by themselves.I would put my money on either of them!RS

I wonder what kind of a pinch gripper he is? He set a WR on the RT and Dr. Strossen said he doesn't even train on the RT he just uses the grippers. Thats a pretty good indication of a naturally strong grip or a grip develped through other activities i.e. work on his farm and event training.

I'm guesing 45's would be no problem. 3 25's maybe. The blob also. Not sure though just speculatin.

I would think Mag is good for pinching 3-25s and 2-45s.and I recon the blob with some effort would go as well.The try on the #4 was a firm steady squeeze with not really a "set"and it went down to around 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch. It was more a testing squeeze than what I would call a max attempt.I did think to myself "this guy can close it with just a bit more training and if he would add some "rage" to the try.He is a tall guy with long arms but they are made for the task......strong...and huge.

Magus is one Strong strong man how long has he been training his grip?