• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maverick

• Strong Man

• Tom of Iowa2

• Matt Van Weele

if he gets certified. there is no doubt that he has the strongest gripp in modern time.

see the qicktime clip below taken from WSM 1995 .nice arm wrestling battle between samuelsson and jones. jones got his arm broken.

Seems like samuelsson has eaten alot more potato's since this. ;)

Samuelsson vs. Jones

Edited by Niklas

Guest gripmaster316

I believe he was an arm wrestler wasn't he?? I can definitely see experience in the way he arm wrestling. Jones seems to be using more of his arm, while Magnus is cranking his whole body.

I believe he was an arm wrestler wasn't he?? I can definitely see experience in the way he arm wrestling. Jones seems to be using more of his arm, while Magnus is cranking his whole body.

yes, he has been a european champion.

yes, he has been a european champion.

I have myself done the same misstake when trying armwrestling with friends. you cant win if you aint using whole your body.

do you have any URL to a good arm wrestling site were i cant learn a proper technique?

I am an armwrestler and I can give you guys a great site. WWW.pinarm.com. Go to the competitive armwrestling section. Its like a book on how to armwrestle.

Pertaining to the clip, Magnus is using a technique called the toproll. Instead of going "inside", where the pullers wrists will come in contact, called a hook, He goes "outside" into a toproll. The toproll relies very heavily on hand control. Watch the video again and watch how well magnus controlls nathans hand. There is a saying that states where the hand goes the arm will follow. If Jones cant gain controll of his hand he pretty much cant win.

Somebody referenced this site in an earlier post.

www.pinarm.com

I've enjoyed reading through the site and also a lot of the pics and video clips from competitions. This site has a small e-book, "Competitive Armwrestling" as one of the first links which has a lot of good information on technique, rules, exercises, etc. The author uses a few Ironmind products in the exercises.

Hope you enjoy the site,

Elias

thanks for the site maverick great info

I am an armwrestler and I can give you guys a great site. WWW.pinarm.com. Go to the competitive armwrestling section. Its like a book on how to armwrestle.

LOL, looks like I not only need to work on my grip strength but maverick types faster than I do too. :blush

Pertaining to the clip, Magnus is using a technique called the toproll. Instead of going "inside", where the pullers wrists will come in contact, called a hook, He goes "outside" into a toproll. The toproll relies very heavily on hand control. Watch the video again and watch how well magnus controlls nathans hand. There is a saying that states where the hand goes the arm will follow. If Jones cant gain controll of his hand he pretty much cant win.

great explanation!

magnus must have known that a toproll against "newbie" would be a killer.

will a toproll work against guys that always does hooks? or what can i do against those guys?

anyway the site was great! going to study it closer later.

In my opinion the reason magnus used the toproll wasnt because Jones was new to the game. It was probably because he felt very superior in his hand/wrist/forearm. It dosnt mean he couldnt get the job done in a hook, but remember he had more matches to pull so it would be to his benefeit to get it done as quickly and less tiring as possible. This is a sign of a very good armwrestler, being able to find your opponents weekness and exploit it.

For your question niklas, the toproll is generally accepted as the counter to the hook and vice versa. For someone that dosnt know what a toproll is this move is devastating. One more tip for you. When pulling a friend, dont pull his arm the the side, like a winsheild wiper, pull his arm back toward you. The farther you can pull his hand/arm away from his body the less power he will have.

I noticed how the guy put himself in that one particular angle that always gets a mans arm broken. at least form most of the matchs i've seen. I mean I'm young, but I've always wanted to be a great armwrestler. I've seen so many broken arms, and most of them come from that postition where you turn you whole body away from the opponent. I mean i think some unexerience armwrestlers do it by instinct or habit. Everytime i see somone do it when I armwrestle i warn him, then proceed to break his arm. :tongue

Hey i know this is not the topic but i have a quick question, and i don't know if it really deserves a new topic. What Gripper can John Brzenk close?

Kit, who's John Brzenk? and armwreslter?

cool, is he alive or dead?

First to the arm break question. One thing must be made clear. One person can never break anothers arm. It is always a person that breaks his own arm. If you watch the video it is right in the middle of a huge burst that jones breaks there arm. This type of thing bothers me because it gives our sport a bad name. Nathan jones instantly goes into a break-arn position. It is when the body gets to far in front of your hand/arm. In a real match, a real ref would have instantly stopped the match and natrhan Jones would have been given one foul. When you have refs and armwrestlers that dont know what they are doing people get hurt. If a knowlegeble ref had been there the arm would have never broken.

Arm breaks are actually very, very rare. They hardly ever happen. John Brzenk, who was mentioned earlier is the greates armwrestler ever, has been competing since the age of 16(now 38) and has traveled all over the world and in all these years at the most difficult tournaments in the world has seen about 6 broken arms. You guys were right though Brzenk is the best in the world. He was one of the very few men who could topple the great cleve dean at his prime. In fact if you rtemembger the movie over the top he defeated dean in the real tournament to win the 18 wheeler. Pretty amazing since dean was 6'8 and 460 lbs and brzenk was 5'11 and 180 lbs.

Yea sorry for not making the Arm Break thing clear. I do know you can't breaak a mans arm armwrestling, Like I said it's the positioning.

John Brzenk though is almost superhuman. I've seen Dean Next to him and the comparison is just amazing.

Maverick,

Great explanations...yes a friend of mine that does some arm wrestling said it was Edmonds fault that the break occurred.He said it was VERY obvious that the arm was going to go.He said a REAL official would have stopped the thing before it happened.He thought the event-as run-was a huge mistake. :dry

Jones aka The Mega Man was never the same after that.It(reportedly) reduced strength in that arm permanently and I saw a tape of him in another contest and he could no longer 'lock out'his overhead presses.

Brznek IS superhuman. :bow Dominating armwrestling for so many years and domination so many weight classes AND having success lefty and righty.WOW. :rock

Only Alexander Karelin(superheavyweight greco roman wrestler) has dominated a sport so completely.

(i.e.Karelin well over a decade with only one draw,defeating everyone,except in the last olympics handily)

BUT Brznek is even more impressive- as he beats larger opponents and arm wrestles in multiple weight classes!!And Brznek has dominated his sport even longer.

Guest gripmaster316

Did the mega man break his arm or his wrist???? In the position Jones is in, it looks like is wrist would have snapped.

Yes as i remember the tape said a spiral fracture of the forearm......it was major damage and I'm pretty sure it required surgery.

The mega man is a pro wrestler now..not quite as big as those days -but ripped.

I think in this strongman days he was 6'10"and weighed 365?..IMO most impressive 'specimen'since Kaz.

I saw a tape of a European Strength championship contest and he was dominant in that contest.

More Trivia.Samuelson weighed only 270 it might actuall have been 265? when he broke Mega mans arm...and of course now Samuelson is 330 plus.

Of course if you watch enough strongman tapes you'll see Samuelsons height listed from 6'6" to 6'7"and once the 'claimed'he was 6'8" :whistel .There is another guy Torfi Olafson who's height jumps around in the statistics category...he's been list as 6' 7 1/2"to 6'9" :inno he must still be growing?

This year the claimed Hugo Girard has a 70 inch chest.The year before it was 60" or 62"...Hugo is huge but..... :ohmy More trivia than you bargained for...

Arm wrestling in WSM....Definitely an ill conceived event.

Maverick: yes i agree with you. and thanx for the tip's!

tom : i dont think it is girard and samuelsson who is claiming this.

samuelsson is 200cm tal and weight 150kg's.

Edited by Niklas