A Better Way To Choke A Gripper

Jared Goguen

I've been trying to incorporate choked grippers into my workouts for 3 or 4 months now and well the whole hose clamp thing is a little janky, Aaron came up with a far better way of doing it. Check it out.

• Like 9

Cool idea though not sure I'd want to do it on some of the rarer TSGs. The only advantage i see to the hose clamp is that it doesn't modify it in any way and is easier for pretty much anyone to do themselves.

• Like 1

That's an awesome idea! It would be cool if he could sell conversion kits that included a tap, a drill and whatever hardware is needed to convert Three grippers

Cool idea though not sure I'd want to do it on some of the rarer TSGs. The only advantage i see to the hose clamp is that it doesn't modify it in any way and is easier for pretty much anyone to do themselves.

Can't use the regular choker setup. My palm covers the entire handle when in appropriate position and index finger nearly at the top as well with the pinky half on at the bottom. This is the setup I have on my gripper in my work laptop bag. So I can do gripper work when I feel like it throughout the day. Adjustable mount for easy progressions. When I hit my training goal I just move the handles up a mm and stick it back in my bag for next time.

- Aaron

• Like 2

I like it, have considered doing that also. The other plus with this is you can easily put a light spring on the bolt in between the handles so its compressed, to make the very last part of the close more difficult. Or I guess you could go with a longer bolt, and put the spring (or rubber band) on the threaded end and onto the eye hook, so it is extended as you close it.

I like it, have considered doing that also. The other plus with this is you can easily put a light spring on the bolt in between the handles so its compressed, to make the very last part of the close more difficult. Or I guess you could go with a longer bolt, and put the spring (or rubber band) on the threaded end and onto the eye hook, so it is extended as you close it.

Lots of options.

Also having attachment points opens up to other options.

Can't use the regular choker setup. My palm covers the entire handle when in appropriate position and index finger nearly at the top as well with the pinky half on at the bottom. This is the setup I have on my gripper in my work laptop bag. So I can do gripper work when I feel like it throughout the day. Adjustable mount for easy progressions. When I hit my training goal I just move the handles up a mm and stick it back in my bag for next time.

- Aaron

Yes there are plenty of benefits to your way, that's for sure. As I said I only see the 2 benefits to the hose clamp (which I mentioned) and those don't outweigh the benefits of your method in most situations IMO. I have hands well over 8" as well so I understand exactly where you are coming from.

This isn't true. It DOES modify the gripper. It makes the gripper rate significantly lower. I had a choked 3.5 that stayed choked for a couple years. It rated in the mid 160s. I believe chez has it now.

This isn't true. It DOES modify the gripper. It makes the gripper rate significantly lower. I had a choked 3.5 that stayed choked for a couple years. It rated in the mid 160s. I believe chez has it now.

That is assuming you leave it choked which you don't have to.

Yes, I know. But how many people choke and unchoke their gripper regularly?

Yes, I know. But how many people choke and unchoke their gripper regularly?

I guess I didn't think of that aspect. I choke and unchoke them.

Aaron, would you consider doing this perhaps as a business? I'd eventually like to get some of my grippers choked up like this but I certainly have no idea how to do it myself. Also, it seems to me that leaving the gripper like this would also weaken it, just as a hose clamp does, correct?

Edited by avasatu

I'm speaking specifically about the choking method not the impact of it being choked for a period of time (which is the same for both). Context is everything. Where one method involves a reversible process (add and remove a clamp) the other is a permanent alteration (holes), both methods of choking would have the same impact on the spring if left choked which is an entirely different matter than what I was addressing.

I'm speaking specifically about the choking method not the impact of it being choked for a period of time (which is the same for both). Context is everything. Where one method involves a reversible process (add and remove a clamp) the other is a permanent alteration (holes), both methods of choking would have the same impact on the spring if left choked which is an entirely different matter than what I was addressing.

You are correct context IS everything, but we are not mind readers. a gripper altered in any way is modified, whether it was stepped on a million times with a pipe to lessen the tension or drilled like the above for choking. The fact is my 3.5 was calibrated in the 170s after some time it was recalibrated in the 160s. I'd say that was significantly modified.

I see that you still don't understand. Choking a gripper for any length of time will modify the spring REGARDLESS OF METHOD USED I am in no way debating or attempting to address this. I'm addressing the 2 methods themselves and the advantage I see of one Vs. the other. one method modifies the gripper the other does not. It is not the method that makes the spring lose strength, it is the fact that you leave it choked. If I choke with a hose clamp and then unchoke 30 seconds later the gripper will be unmodified, if I choke with Andrew's method the gripper is forever modified that should clearly show the difference between a method causing modifications Vs. leaving it choked causing modifications.

I see that you still don't understand. Choking a gripper for any length of time will modify the spring REGARDLESS OF METHOD USED I am in no way debating or attempting to address this. I'm addressing the 2 methods themselves and the advantage I see of one Vs. the other. one method modifies the gripper the other does not. It is not the method that makes the spring lose strength, it is the fact that you leave it choked. If I choke with a hose clamp and then unchoke 30 seconds later the gripper will be unmodified, if I choke with Andrew's method the gripper is forever modified that should clearly show the difference between a method causing modifications Vs. leaving it choked causing modifications.

Er, Aaron rather, sorry for the name mistake there Aaron.

Thanks for clearing that right up for me, I needed that because I'm an idiot.

The fact is I've understood exactly what you were saying from the beginning. you spoke generally about modifying a gripper. Not specifically the aesthetics of the gripper, which you automatically assumed we all knew you were speaking about. But I'm glad you are going this far out of your way to be condescending, prove your point and let us know you disagree with this method.

If I choke with a hose clamp and then unchoke 30 seconds later the gripper will be unmodified, if I choke with Andrew's method the gripper is forever modified that should clearly show the difference between a method causing modifications Vs. leaving it choked causing modifications.

I don't see the confusion here. I thought it was pretty clear that you can just pull the bolt out and its not choked any more.

wfv8kai.jpg

Also EJ, you left your gripper choked for a few years and experienced a about 10lb reduction, I think you could easily leave a gripper choked for a week and there would be zero change in the spring strength.

This seems pretty simple to me at least, it took me all of 5 seconds to pull the nut off, or with the hose clamp just open it up some and slide it off.

A gripper is a training tool. I have lots of unmodified grippers as well as a few with adjustable mount. At this point only one I am using with the new choker setup. Wound I use it on every gripper, of course not. But as a training tool in the specific tension range I am working it is perfect for my current training plan and that is why I did it. Do I expect to ever return mine to an unaltered state? Of course not.

Aaron

• Like 5

A gripper is a training tool. I have lots of unmodified grippers as well as a few with adjustable mount. At this point only one I am using with the new choker setup. Wound I use it on every gripper, of course not. But as a training tool in the specific tension range I am working it is perfect for my current training plan and that is why I did it. Do I expect to ever return mine to an unaltered state? Of course not.

Aaron

The gripper in the video is one that I made the modifications on for Jared, he obviously made the same decision about it being a tool to be used to get him stronger and was willing to have it modified. I offered to make new handles to be drilled and tapped so that we wouldn't have to do that on the original handles as that is what I usually do with mine but that was not an issue for him. I like to have separate handles for filed vs standard, etc anyway. Obviously not for everyone or every gripper and I have no idea why someone would even suppose that.

Aaron

• Like 1