Think I May Have Hurt Myself

Clay Edgin

Last Wednesday, I closed me #3 21 times. The next morning, I felt a bit of pain in my middle finger knuckle joint where it connects to my hand. I figured it was just stress from squeezing the gripper so much. But it's been a week now and the pain hasn't gone away! Even squeezing a stapler gives me a nice shooting pain.

Any tips to make this thing feel better?

High rep sets with a #T-say 5 sets of 20 each hand with 3 minutes of rest inbetween.

Afterwards get 2 buckets. Fill one with scalding hot water, the other with ice water. Soak hands back and fourth for 30 minutes.

Do this 2 times a day with 8-10 hours inbetween.

Take 4-5 days off from grip work completely-except the #T work.

Good luck-

Rick Walker :rock

Same thing happened to me but with the #2 3 weeks ago , it took me two weeks to recover from pain ,last week the pain was gone but it felt like i had no force in my hand to squeeze,now i'm back 100% and can close my #2 again ,i think you need to rest for a couple of weeks, good luck with your recovery

Ricks advice looks pretty good.Add some quick,no resistance hand clenches and releases?

A good anti inflamatory might?speed things up.Ask a real doc of course.. but 800mg of Ibuprofin every 6 hours might spped things up.Naprocin is said to work well... or one of the new anti-arthritis drugs.Not so much to reduce the pain but to reduce the swelling and/or inflamation that may be part of the problem?

I'm rootin for you...be careful...big future in grip ahead of you and lots of years to do it. :rock

Guest gripmaster316

Yes, rest is very important. I find that I cannot do grip work every day. I remember when I had that pain as well. It took me one month to heal. I couldn't even bench press because of the pain in my hands. The best thing to do is not even touch the grippers for a couple of weeks.

Guest wells

Go to the doctor but...

if you were me... you would try cracking that knuckle.

Sounds like you partially dislocated it . It is rare to have a fully dislocated finger or even a torn or strained tendon in the hand (carpal) /forearm due to over exertion or use. If you fractured or broke the knuckle or carpal bone it would be greatly swollen and you would notice an interesting new shape to your hand. You could still move your finger but it would really hurt.

By cracking it may just snap back into place or at least move some cartilege around releasing some of that negative nerve response. If the knuckle is swollen twice the normal size I wouldn't try to crack it more than once. Meaning: if on the first attempt I am unable to crack it and I am rolling around on the floor in pain, I would stop.

Next: You could then try slowly and quickly flexing your hand into a half-way fist followed up by a full fist close...holding the fist for 5 seconds using a lot of tension (isometrically) under running hot water (as hot as you can stand without burning yourself). Maybe do this for ten minutes or so.

Tiger Balm it (or rub hot horseradish into it) up to the middle of the forearm. Yes... medicate the entire hand, fingers, and half way up the forearm. Then wrap with a hand towel with a heating pad wrap around that. Set on high for 15 minutes.

Edited by wells

Put it in a bucket of ice. Then hot water. Then put it back in the bucket of ice. Then hot water. And so on and so on. I do this two to three times a day. I kill these mitts everyday and they keep coming back stronger and stronger. Did three shows in the last two days, about 20 x20d nails, 20x40d, 5x60d, four decks of cards, 9 spikes, wrench, 6 can pops, 3 horseshoes, scrolled 2, 3' x 1/2'' HRs bars last night at 9:00pm did the hot/cold treatment. Woke up did the best hub lifts ever, best plate pinching. After I write this I will do blob, anvil, pull some small jack chains, and play with "the Foot" and finish off with thumb training and as long as the Good Lord is blessing I am going to get all I can! Then I will be back to the ice bucket and hot tub come home and fall down and rub some horse lenament on. If it keeps hurting after this take another week off and work your weaker hand to death. I ain't no Dr. but after you work your hands hard for a long time they come to a point which I believe is a higher level of base strength like Gazza said to Snot in that post with the Knife thing. I have found that hand endurance is the some way. Cooking them until they are well done them treat and rest when they won't go no more. I hope I've helped and gave you an example of what your hands can go through and with the proper "Hand Health" ( John's Book #2) still gain strength that will amaze you.

Clay,

What are you trying to prove? :rolleyes

PLEASE treat the grippers with respect. That being said, just take it easy... rest... some icy/hot therapy... don't worry bro, you're getting stronger... :bow;)

Guest gripmaster316

He's right, I would have closed the #3 5-7 times on that one day and would have known that I got it. 21 times is excessive for your hands and in a way you are paying for the consequences.

Thanks for the great advice all. I will do what Rick suggested starting tonight.

I wasn't trying to prove anything, except that I could close my #3 in front of a witness. You know how you have those days when your hands just feel ready to go from the moment you wake up? I felt like I had full strength in my hands and wanted to get the most out of them that day. I broke parallel on the #3 with my left hand as well that day! I just kept squeezing the gripper until I couldn't close it anymore and then I went to bed :)

GregH,

If you're trying to be as funny as I am... you're failing miserably!! ;)

I have some pain in my hand from the grippers too(middle finger joint where the finger meets the hand).. I think its from the sideways torque the grippers put on the fingers. I'd love to train the f--- outta my hands but i dont want arthritus for the rest of my life!! train but be smart and get plenty of rest! Its common sense too. Look at your fingers, and then think of a stack of plates equal to a #3 crush.. damn we be puttin alot of stress on those little sausages!!

much respect to mother nature for sure! :bow

~Steve

Clay,

If you have a chiroprctor, you might want to have them look at it. There are a lot of bones in the hand and one could easily be out of place. The can also show you how to crack the knuckle and traction the bones back into place. It could be hand knowledge in the future.

Disclaimer, I'm not a doctor, but I run a chiropractic office and sleep with one. No I don't sleep with the office, my wife's a chirorpactor. :rolleyes

Bernie

Hi, guys. When it's suggested that you soak your hands in the hot and cold water back and forth for 30 minutes, how long do you hold your hands under each at a time? Like, 1 minute in the hot, 1 minute in the cold, alternating for 30 minutes? Or, just 15 minutes in the hot, and then 15 minutes in the cold?

I guess the neurons aren't quite firing today or something...

Thanks for the help,

Paul

The Occupational Therapists at the meat plant I work at suggest one of two methods: Either 15 second intervals or 2-5 minute intervals for 10 to 20 minutes, always starting and ending with the hot water.

Gentlemen, thanks again for your advice. I have been taking it easy on the heavy gripping until last night when I smashed my #3 without anything more than mild discomfort. The pain from the knuckle joint is gone and it just hurts a little behind the joint on the back of the hand. I'll be repping the Trainer all day today and tomorrow and then backing off again.

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez... I tihnk i may have Jammed my thumb pretty goood. Anyone knoow how to help me with this. I didn't want to go waste some space and make a new topc just for my thumb so I thought I'd juts continue this one. I jammed it while boxing :tongue

RE: Same thing happened to me but with the #2 3 weeks ago , it took me two weeks to recover from pain ,last week the pain was gone but it felt like i had no force in my hand to squeeze,now i'm back 100% and can close my #2 again ,i think you need to rest for a couple of weeks, good luck with your recovery

Same just happened to me. Wrist won't work, grip strength gone. Sigh. On with the ice and heat.

I had the same thing. My chiropractor cleared it up in a few seconds. I had been suffering with it for months. My pain was between my middle and index finger where it meets the palm. Most pain came from slightly bending my middle finger away from the index finger (to the side). I think the pain was because of an inflamed tendon or ligament between the bones of the hand being out of place.

Guest gripmaster316

The pain that I had was between my middle and ring, and also spread across the width of my palm. The pain was great and I was unable to do my usual bench press.

Guest wells

Damage to the webbing in between your fingers can really hurt. Due to nerve junctions from the palm and fingers intersecting this area is actually qutie sensitive. Not so much to shallow cuts but hard pinchs, deep tears, and crushes will be enough to insure pain for a few days or weeks. My hand doctor said that many hand problems regarding pain and severe soreness with professional atheletes is not always associated with tendon/ligament damage or metacarpal fractures but due to severe pinching deep into the webbing in between the fingers or pain raditating from the carpal area in the wrist.

I took a pair of pliers and squeezed a little bit of that webbing deep down in between my index (pointing) and middle fingers... wow! :ohmy:blink I rather hit my thumb with a hammer or break my finger! Please don't try this plier stunt; believe me I gave just a little squeeze (I have reduced feeling in my hands due to past injuries) and it still hurt like hell.

Edited by wells