2015 December - A Gripmas Carol (Part3) - anwnate

anwnate

Let me take a moment and talk about the top gripsters a bit. I actually introduced someone to Andrew as "the legend". He kind of laughed and denied the title. While Andrew Durniat hasn't been training like he did in the past, he is still one of the very best in the world. He's much like I was before I got heavy. 6'4" and 235 or so (with the added bonus of a world class grip). I got the opportunity to talk with him briefly. He is extremely thoughtful about grip. I don't think I have ever taken the time to think about things in detail like he does. I was pretty much absorbed in the conversation with him when I noticed I'd have to compete again in a moment. Unfortunately the conversation never picked up again. The currents of the contest seas separated us. Hopefully I'll get the chance to chat with him in the future. Out of the top 3 gripsters…Jedd gets fired up in an extroverted way…Andrew is pretty much the opposite. The most I saw leak out was some pacing before his bigger lifts…otherwise everything is neatly tucked in his head.

That brings me to Kody. In a way, he's kind of like the Hybrid between Jedd and Andrew. If you watch him, you will notice he stays in a constant state of warm-up. It's definitely inwardly directed, but it's obvious to bystanders that he is pumped. To do this over a period as long as a grip contest like Gripmas is a feat in itself. I got a chance to talk with him here and there. He's very warm, kind and yet intense at the same time. Quite the dichotomy. Sitting beside him and watching him was pretty cool in itself. While he was listening to his tunes the entire time, it seemed very much like his mind was going a mile a minute. Once again, I'm hoping to get the opportunity to talk with him down the road.

Event #3 DO Axle. I had done some warmups on the warmup bar and found my back was not having it. I normally lift conventional and when someone (thank you whoever you are) suggested I do sumo, I tried it and was able to lift with much much less discomfort. Although my best ever (at home PR) was a 350, I thought I'd be happy if I lifted 300lbs considering how long I've been out of the game. I think I came in around 270+ and had just a little trouble with it. 283 came next (don't quote me) and it actually went up easier than the first one. I think I did 296 without any problems. I then went for 303…just to make sure I hit my goal…didn't feel like getting greedy (plus I wasn't really in competition with anyone). Forgive me for glossing over the rest of this event…but it was pretty much the Andrew Durniat show. He waited patiently for everyone to finish their cute little Axle lifts. He even helped switch out all the plates for competitors. Then it was showtime. I think he came in over 15lbs higher than anyone else had lifted. It wasn't exactly obvious that the weight was over 400lbs…it went up in such a relaxed manner. I don't have the exact details of his eventual failed attempt but he certainly made 442.36 with relative ease. At some point I asked him what his best was. I think he said he made 485 and got 518 to his knees once. Safe to say that he speaks Axle fluently.

i_zpscexc6tof.jpg

Event #4 was the Jeddley. It used to be called the medley, but the powers that be decided they should just change the name and just award Jedd the event each contest. Heh. As it turns out, Kody had a slim lead going into the Medley. Jedd knew this and knew he pretty much had to knock it out of the park to guarantee a win. And…he did. He didn't leave too many stones unturned. Myself, I didn't really plan my medley too well. Out of the 23 or so points I guessed I'd get, I only got 16-17. I did manage the 275lb 2.5" Axle which I thought I'd have little chance at. I have this vague memory of Jedd insisting I would lift it and telling me "I told you" after I did. Power of positive thinking I guess. If you check out the photo below…you'll see Jedd placing the blob with handle on the bench with his right hand, while simultaneously reaching for the INCH with his left. This pretty much sums up his medley. One world class feat after the other. This Jeddley will go down in history as one of the toughest and the one that won Jedd the 2015 Gripmas. Congrats Jedd.

jedd%20medley_zpsj63dsopa.jpg

Pardon if I skip over the presentation and awards. I of course won the most prestigious award for outright DOMINATING the 120+kg division. Not to be cocky, but it's safe to say that no other 120+kg competitor was anywhere even close to me. I think I will retire from the division with a perfect 1-0 record. 120kg looks good to me now…and who knows, down the road 105kg may come into play. Here is a picture of Chris Rice and the World Record Breakers (Bob Sundin and Kody Burns).

l_zpsaawshnpb.jpg

One of the many things that make Gripmas so special is what goes on AFTER the contest. With many of the best gripsters in the world…you know there is going to be some friendly competition to attempt some challenge items. I brought the "Manna-Nuff" weight. John Manna had kindly given it to me a couple of years ago. Wojo had once got it 6" off the ground (probably could do it now though), but other than that, it hadn't been locked out. No less than 4 people lifted it that evening. Jedd was the first. (This was pretty appropriate since I actually willed the item to him had my surgery went bad.) It's certainly not an impossible lift…but it definitely is challenging. If it was in a medley, it would not be an item to save for last. Kody (duh) and Jake also got the lift. A little surprisingly, Nick (Rosenthal) came up and made the "Manna-nuff" make him a sandwich. He easily dominated it. Could be that wide pinch he likes. It's my goal to get a pic of each "Manna-nuff" lifter and put them on the wall of my gym. Lucas tried several times…but wasn't Man enough. ;) He was actually pretty close, and I have no doubt he'll get it next year.

y_zps9uux2jel.png

Bob had brought a pair of 25kg plates and the top pinchers went at it. Jedd got a partial lift, Bob got a couple of quick lifts…then Kody tried it. He didn't get it immediately, but when he did…something not of this world happened. He got a hold of them and pinched them with both the right and the left hands. He literally held the pinch with his right hand for 32-33 seconds. I shit you not. I'm not exaggerating, that's not a typo. It happened. I don't have the words for it. Here's a pic of when he took a couple seconds out from his meditation to give a thumbs-up.

Kody%202x25kg%20hold_zpswe5twp9y.jpg

We got to do a secret ballot to vote for the Gripmas Yol Bosun Award. It's an award voted on for someone who was most impressive (not necessarily the winner). Bob Sundin was the winner this year. Wrapping this up, I'd like to cover a few more things. A contest this big goes off this well…only with a lot of help. Sean Rice, Brent Barbe, Nick Rosenthal and Kevin (?) were all incredibly helpful. It's not easy to keep a contest running smoothly…and these guys kept at it, stepping in and up whenever necessary. Logging things, keeping order, changing plates, data entry, on and on. Huge thanks from this gripster. You guys were the glue that held everything together. Another thank you for Teresa. She kept the coffee flowing throughout the contest. And then we get to our host…Chris Rice (climber511). Chris would like to say it's the "people's contest"…and in many respects he is correct. Additionally though, this is "Chris's contest". It epitomizes what Chris hold dear to his heart…family, friends and respect for Gripsport. Huge thanks for once again hosting this beloved event. May it continue for many years to come. Can't forget to put up a pic of the man himself.

z_zps2azmxzdb.jpg

If you attended and I didn't cover you, it's not for lack of interest. If you continue on your grip-journey and I do mine, our paths and conversations will cross in the future.

Rich and I headed back to the hotel, stopping at Denny's to make pigs of ourselves (well…me anyway). We joked that he didn't deserve a Milkshake for coming in last…but it's really what gripsport is about. I also placed dead last (for men) in my first contest. The real glory in Gripsport comes from personal bests. Whether your PR's are world records, or simply goals you have worked towards…it's the journey that counts.

We headed back to the hotel and crashed. At 5:30am, I was awaken by a pounding on the door. "Are you in there?" a drunken voice shouted. The knocking continued. I went to the door and yelled, "You got the wrong room!" and went right back to sleep. We headed home the next morning, once again taking advantage of the breakfast nook. The journey home was just as speedy as the one there. At one point I said out loud. "I miss my wife." I was kind of surprised by the emotion I felt. I think seeing Chris and Teresa together really highlighted the fact I was away from my other (better) half.

The drive flew by and was quite enjoyable. I was once again struck by the amount of similar info that both Rich and I had taken in, in our youth. Good guy. We started talking about his grip goals. It looks like a new journey is about to begin.

• Like 14

Unfortunately the conversation never picked up again. The currents of the contest seas separated us.

Nate, I think this was your best write-up 9all three parts) ever, maybe because i was at the event and can vouch for the accuracy of your statements. I love the detail (am not a TL/DR type anyway) and you summed up the atmosphere and people, especially Chris and Teresa, that make Gripmas so great. I still need to reply in the main Gripmas thread, but it seems all I've been doing an unusual amount of writing and responding this week as it is.

Re: the quoted part (above); I felt that way too as I don't generally talk a lot anyway, and I'm not likely to talk to anyone at a contest who seems to be in deep thought or especially focused. If I'm in the flow i might not talk for extended periods unless it is to gather some necessary info.

Thanks a ton for the feedback during the 2HP, as it helped me with my weight jumps.

• Like 2

Awesome Write Up - Thank You!

• Like 2

Great write up on the event! You're the only 120+K competitor? Maybe, next year, I come compete & change that.

• Like 2

Great write-up Nate!

• Like 1

Unfortunately the conversation never picked up again. The currents of the contest seas separated us.

Nate, I think this was your best write-up 9all three parts) ever, maybe because i was at the event and can vouch for the accuracy of your statements. I love the detail (am not a TL/DR type anyway) and you summed up the atmosphere and people, especially Chris and Teresa, that make Gripmas so great. I still need to reply in the main Gripmas thread, but it seems all I've been doing an unusual amount of writing and responding this week as it is.

Re: the quoted part (above); I felt that way too as I don't generally talk a lot anyway, and I'm not likely to talk to anyone at a contest who seems to be in deep thought or especially focused. If I'm in the flow i might not talk for extended periods unless it is to gather some necessary info.

Thanks a ton for the feedback during the 2HP, as it helped me with my weight jumps.

Ha...a perfect example of feedback anyone would have given. You are a brutal pincher sir. Thanks for the compliment Bob.

Awesome Write Up - Thank You!

Ha. More like Thank YOU for holding the event.

Great write up on the event! You're the only 120+K competitor? Maybe, next year, I come compete & change that.

Appreciate it man. Next year you will be the only 120kg+ competitor...for I'm dropping weight. :)

I'm glad I found this on my lunch break. Great read Nate! I hope to see more of them :)

Ha. They are a bit time consuming to collect all those thoughts and type em out. I do have another six trip reports scattered about though. Thanks Delmar.

I enjoyed reading this man, very cool.

Thanks my brother from another mother. Wish you were there.

Nate, awesome write up, felt like I was there. I wish I could have been. Thanks for sharing!

Great write-up Nate!

Thanks man. Your turn!

• Like 1

Awesome writeup Nate!

Thanks Tom! Any chance you'll make it next year?

Great reading these write-ups! Thank-you for sharing your experience Nate

Thanks and your welcome. I sure enjoyed it.

Thank you very much for the great write up!

Next best thing to actually being there I guess...

Well there's a ton of video out there to kinda fill in the gaps. I left a lot out. A lot of people had PR's I didn't mention. It's pretty much impossible to follow everyone and compete. Thanks!

Nate, this is a good write-up man. You've got some solid writing skills bud.

Thanks for the kind words. The Jeddley. I like the sound of that. Very creative. Also, thanks for willing the Manna-Nuff to me. Very nice gesture.

Thanks again for posting this. Wishing you the best going forward with your health.

• Like 4

For those of you who have done both - how does the Manna-nuff compare to the Tractor Weight I have? I'd like to lift that thing next year.

I might add that the Tractor weight is 88# and 3 1/4" wide - but it does have a small "bump" that helps one lift it. On the other hand it is off balance - so I'm curious how close I might be to getting it (when fresh of course) :). I'm in the process of making myself some training implement to work towards the MannaNuff and 2 25K plates pinch - time will tell.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

Nate, you have an unbelievable attention to detail. I guess that's why your writing skills are so sick !! I appreciate you capturing the video and sharing. It was great to finally meet you. I hope we get to compete again someday. Thanks for the nice words !! Sorry, I've been crazy busy and just now getting time to read this all the way through lol. Great damn write up !!

• Like 1

I might add that the Tractor weight is 88# and 3 1/4" wide - but it does have a small "bump" that helps one lift it. On the other hand it is off balance - so I'm curious how close I might be to getting it (when fresh of course) :). I'm in the process of making myself some training implement to work towards the MannaNuff and 2 25K plates pinch - time will tell.

The Manna-nuff is pretty smooth (no bumps). Besides the weight and width...I've left a certain sharpness on the edge. I did grind it quite a bit (it was cutting sharp at first), but wanted to leave an edge to keep it on the more difficult end of the spectrum.

Great write up Nate!! It was great meeting you!!

Much appreciated man. Back at you!

Nate, you have an unbelievable attention to detail. I guess that's why your writing skills are so sick !! I appreciate you capturing the video and sharing. It was great to finally meet you. I hope we get to compete again someday. Thanks for the nice words !! Sorry, I've been crazy busy and just now getting time to read this all the way through lol. Great damn write up !!

Thanks Kody. Glad you liked it. You sure put on a show that night!

• Like 1