Pat Pov

deadgrip

Does anyone know if Pat Povilaitis still bends? While we're on that, the hardest gripper he's closed? I know he's done a #3

I met up with him recently at the AOBS.

Pat still bends during his strongman shows (mostly horseshoes and bars I believe...for the audience).

About 3 years ago, he posted a pic (fb) of three unbraced bent nails (complete gold nail, ninja s10 and 7/16 x7 CRS...40d).

He didn't mention wraps or time, but any of those are world class bends.

Note: This post is simply to answer a question. Let's keep it that way.

Edit: No idea about grippers.

There is a reason Pat has the reputation that he has. He really has to be seen doing one of his performances to appreciate it. He does things routinely and generally with ease that only a few people in the world can duplicate. What he can and does do day in and day out is simply on another planet. He doesn't do Grip Competitions as that is not his thing - therefore so many of the "other" feats in grip we have no real idea where he might stand - but I feel he and some of the other "performing strong men" would do quite well if they were interested.

• Like 1

What an animal! I saw him on Stan Lee's Superhumans.. They were explaining how his bones were more dense than the average human. I thought that took away from the training this guy did by saying oh it's just his genetics. I believe it's the other way around and his training brought his bones up to that. Thanks!!

Yeah I saw that episode. Caught his hand in a bear trap. Insane.

In October 2010, at AOBS, I saw him, with no warm-up, CCS close a "high 150's" (as in 158) without 100% effort. I know because it was at a failed Certification attempt of mine, and he was the judge.

• Like 1

Wow.. Maybe a 3.5 cert in his future.

Most likely no. He is a preformer. He does this to feed his family. If he gets hurt trying to cert and has to recover, he's not making money. Plus he has nothing to prove to anyone.

I read In an older article that he was a Mechanical Engineer at the time...

I will try to find the link.

He can't get hurt... bear trap to his hand. He can laugh off other injuries. ;P

It's not a bear trap. A bear trap would cut him in half, any of us in half. It's a cougar trap without teeth. It's about 1/6th of the size of a bear trap. I'm still not gonna try it but let's not exaggerate the feat

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 1

I found the article:

http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2007-03-27/gould-strongmen.html

"Old-time strongmen bend nails, frying pans, horseshoes" by By Joe Gould

looks like it is an older article but still a good read

• Like 1

I found the article:

http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2007-03-27/gould-strongmen.html

"Old-time strongmen bend nails, frying pans, horseshoes" by By Joe Gould

looks like it is an older article but still a good read

Cool man. Thanks for the link!

In October 2010, at AOBS, I saw him, with no warm-up, CCS close a "high 150's" (as in 158) without 100% effort. I know because it was at a failed Certification attempt of mine, and he was the judge.

This is pretty impressive. Especially since it sounds like the one that another well-known gripper guy failed to CCS close.

• 3 weeks later...

He is an incredible strong man. The way he bends is something to see.