Help with my ironmind order...

Guest MonStar1023

Guest MonStar1023

??????

I needed some help with my Ironmind.com order.. I am really interested in seriously improving my grip strength along with my forearm development and I am thinking about placing the following order over @ Ironmind.

(1) #1 Captains of Crush Gripper

(1) #2 Captains of Crush Gripper

(1) Mastery of Hand Strength by John Brookefield

Would these be good investments for someone really looking to work on his forearms and grip? Also I am seriously extremely into bodybuilding and I am wondering if there are any books that would be worth purchasing?

:D:D

Can't help with the BB books, but the 3 choices you have are excellent.  I would suggest the Trainer as well, it's easy, but always good for warm-ups and everyday use to keep the hands fresh.  Just a thought..... :)

Guest MonStar1023

I am wondering about the Captains of Crush Trainer... how does this gripper compare to one like the one's you can buy at a local Sporting Goods store.. because I have a bunch of those that I can use for warming up...

:D :D

It's harder than them, but you could use those if you like.  I used the store grippers for warmups some, I just like the Trainer better.  That could be because I have one already.  The store grippers will work for warm-ups.

Your purchase is great with the books I can’t help, but I can suggest some reading. Go to cyberpump.com – training – scroll down to the headings with the name Arthur Jones. It’s quite a lot of reading but his advice and ideas have made all the difference for me.  :D  :D  :p  ;)  ;)  :D

Guest Askalas

Just a thought, but the trainer is also good to practice form on since form is very important in closing a coc gripper.  Since it is easier to close you can practice closing it and maintaining good form before attempting a harder gripper.  My first IM order looked a lot like yours, coc trainer, coc#1, and the Mastery of Hand Strength.  If you have the money then the #2 will be good for heavy negatives.  You might also want to invest in a few blocks of chalk with that order, it will help out a lot.  Good luck.

Sorry, but I don't have any advice about the bodybuilding books either.  You may want to nose around www.cyberpump.com some and see if they can help out.

Since you don't have enough money to hire Sybersnott as your personal guide and grip trainer coach..... the NEXT best thing would be to read as many books as you can from some of the best gripmasters ever.  IronMind has some books (I just got my order today, in fact) - and also Bill Hinbern's website.  He has a catalog of the past masters of strength from yesteryear.  Go to his website, and ask him to send you a print catalog.

http://www.superstrengthbooks.com

Guest steiner1014

Brookfield's Book is awesome....some of the best training techniques in the world are printed right before your eyes....That book is definately a good choice.

Stein

I originally ordered a Trainer, #1, and #2 shortly thereafter.  I'm happy with the trainer for warm-ups, as Bearcat said, but for another purpose as well. They are great when it's time to start doing strapholds.  The trainer gives me a great place to start, and I can work up to the #1.  IMHO, that's a step that can't be missed.

Best Wishes,  Alan

Here's my top picks for the books.

1. You can't do without Mastery of hand Strength.

2. You absolutely need to read Dinosaur Training, written by Brooks Kubik. After you read that book, you don't care about bodybuilding anymore. You care about strength. You don't want pumped biceps with 20 pounds dumbell isolation curls, you want a 150 pounds strict curl with a 3'' bar.

However, if you want to stick to bodybuilding, Keys to progress, by John McCallum, should be a great book for you.

Guest StrongerthanArne

Tou,

I used Kubik's one rep workout program (you do five singles, finishing with an all out rep) for about two months, and I must say that I have never lost strength so fast before in my life. In fact, the loss in strength was greater than had I not trained at all for this period. The idea of abbreviated workouts does not work for me, whereas high volume does.

Guest Luke Reimer

Maybe singles don't work for you, or then again maybe Kubik's program just isn't enough volume for you.  I'm moving more and more over to singles in my different workouts, but I go 15 to 20 sets deep with some of mine, and am enjoying my gains. What rep/set configuration works better for you?

Guest StrongerthanArne

These days, in order to have time for my grip work (and family commitments), I do rather few excersices. Mondays I do IPF-style powerlifting squats 5 sets of 4 (after several sets of warm ups) with a belt only, followed by grippers and RT. Wednesdays I do deadlifts 5 sets of 4 (after several sets of warm ups), hyperextentions in a belly back 5 sets of 6-10 reps, sit ups 5 sets, heavy shrugs 5 sets, and chin ups 5 sets. Fridays I do bench press 5 sets of 4 reps (after several warm up sets), military press 5 sets of 4-6 reps, followed by pinch work and wrist work. Next week I drop the reps to 3 in the squat, deadlift and bp, and the following week the reps in these core lifts are down to 2, then it starts all over again. Once I switched from the five singles workout scheme in Dinosaur Training to this my strength picked up immediately. When I first started with Kubik's program my peak power started to climb for the first three weeks, but after that it dropped very fast.

Mkikael,

I never said that I like the 5x5 system. I said that the book was full of logic training advice. Kubik advocates several sets of low reps, 20 reps squats, heavy power rack training, odd objects lifting and extremely severe grip work.

In my training, I take about a month to prepare myself for the battle. I do 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps on masic exercises (squat, deads, overhead press and colse grip bench press). When I'm done with preparation, I throw in the heavy stuff. it consists of at least 5 sets of 2-3 reps on those basic movements. Plus, I add 2-3 sets of bent rows and power cleans.

On top of that, I train my grip twice a week. COC, pinch, vertical bar, wrist curl, deadlift lockouts, plate curl, farmer,s walk, steel bending and many more grip exercises. I pick three of them on each workout. I particularly like the Brookfield's specials.

I sure would lost strength if I perform 3 warm up singles and 2 top weigth singles, This is not enough for me. My body demands more and so does my mind.

Congratulations on your #3 close. I'll join you soon because it almost closes at my last workout. Good luck with the pictures !

Guest kINGPIN

As far as grip stuff goes that is great.  For bodybuilding though cyberpump is a brilliant site.  The HIT faq is good although I do not agree with all of it take the info you need.  Although not available from Ironmind, 'Beyond Brawn', 'Brawn', 'Insiders tell all handbook on weight training' and 'further brawn' are all brilliant books worth purchasing over time.

just my preferances.

The book on tecnique as well as Brawn also has some good grip info in them.

Hello MonStar,

I too ordered the COC's 1,2,and 3, I'm pretty happy with these as I thought I was pretty strong,I can close the trainer for reps and the 1 for one or two reps! My hat's off to all the supermen on this board who have closed the no. 3. I don't think I will ever accomplish this feat,but will keep on trying anyway! Regards! :D