Large Pre-Rated Posting

Cannon

160# IM#3...yikes...the whole certing thing is getting a bit more mental for me I notice, I see guys certing with doing triples CCS and than I see this rating. No way there's going to be reps when you get this card dealt in certification.

160# IM#3...yikes...the whole certing thing is getting a bit more mental for me I notice, I see guys certing with doing triples CCS and than I see this rating. No way there's going to be reps when you get this card dealt in certification.

Yeah, 160 and up definitely makes it pretty interesting. My cert #3 was only 146lbs. On the same day of my cert, I did a TNS workout later and even without the adrenaline, smashed my 158lb Elite and 164lb HG300. And I was not a top-of-the-heap gripper guy. What I'm saying is that nowadays there do seem to be guys that are really strong on the wide sets who are just smashing the hell out of their cert grippers. And I don't think all the cert grippers are easy these days. Guys are just plain getting stronger.

• Like 2

Getting closer to having a full competition set!

• Like 1

I got the 160.... Can't wait to get a feel for it. A 136# 2.5 too... Pretty much a featherweight #3. Thanks for the rating service and posting pre-rated grippers!!

• Like 1

Yeah, 160 and up definitely makes it pretty interesting. My cert #3 was only 146lbs. On the same day of my cert, I did a TNS workout later and even without the adrenaline, smashed my 158lb Elite and 164lb HG300. And I was not a top-of-the-heap gripper guy. What I'm saying is that nowadays there do seem to be guys that are really strong on the wide sets who are just smashing the hell out of their cert grippers. And I don't think all the cert grippers are easy these days. Guys are just plain getting stronger.
True, I wouldn't agrue on that, but CCS reps on a 160? I highly doubt it. Either the cert was lng overdue or the gripper was pretty light. Just saying the big variation in #3's doesn't make the cert the fairest one around. However it's one I very much want.

Ok, back to the rated grippers hehe, CPW made the standard in gripper ratings. Good stuff.

Thnx Tommy, the end is within reach, but I still need to scratch of some of my higher range #3's of my ccs bucketlist. Not happening much in my log because I'm just punching the clock, it's boring stuff really heh

Have noob ish question... Probably been discussed before ... Do grippers rate heavier initially if they are not seasoned before the rating, or are they lighter. Does the difference between a seasoned gripper and an unseasoned gripper vary by brand? If some of you RGC PHd's could get me some knowledge here I'd greatly appreciate it :) Wondering if a 160 cert gripper would rate 160 at the time of the "unseasoned" first close).

Have noob ish question... Probably been discussed before ... Do grippers rate heavier initially if they are not seasoned before the rating, or are they lighter. Does the difference between a seasoned gripper and an unseasoned gripper vary by brand? If some of you RGC PHd's could get me some knowledge here I'd greatly appreciate it :) Wondering if a 160 cert gripper would rate 160 at the time of the "unseasoned" first close).

I believe Matt does something like 50 chest crushes and then oils the spring before he rates them, so the 160lber is probably a fews pounds harder right out of the package.

• Like 1

I've tested this some. Testing a gripper out of the package and then after 30ish reps. It seems like 1-4lbs is lost after reps. This also depends on the gripper, high quality grippers will have less lose in resistance and spread vs. el-cheap-o's from china.

I believe Matt does something like 50 chest crushes and then oils the spring before he rates them, so the 160lber is probably a fews pounds harder right out of the package.

Yeah, we put 30+ reps on each gripper (although they are not chest crushes! I would have the biggest chest on earth by now.) We also oil the spring and clean it if necessary. If the gripper is going to lose some strength out of the package, I have found that it happens on literally the first rep. We do 30+ for good measure just to be sure. Really the root of this action is to hope for a repeatable result later as long as the spring is clean and oiled. There is always margin of error in the rating process so this is just one more way to try and curb that (and yet another reason we don't deal in decimals). We've also found that grippers tend to get slightly weaker with lots of use, but not by much, and putting the reps on initially helps some.

The rating service, I feel, is most valuable to categorize grippers like we have done at CPW. That's really the point. You have to understand that we're taking a measurement at a specific point in time and then after that the gripper will never be exactly the same. It could hang on a pegboard and never get closed again, but get harder because it rusted. It could be meticulously maintained but also used excessively and end up a little easier. It could rattle around in your gym bag and have all the knurling knocked off and therefore feel harder. New #3s are generally 148 as far as the average data we have collected. So a new one that goes 160 is definitely harder than average. In terms of your own collection, it will likely continue to fall in line that way as compared to other rated grippers you have. But if you sent it back to us, would we get the exact same rating? Probably not, because it's not the exact same gripper we sent you (which is where the Rate and Return service comes in). But even if you never have it rated again, the initial information that it was "160" will have it usefully filling that spot in your collection versus other rated grippers. This is also why CPW recommends that you get ratings in increments of 5 pounds. We feel this helps ensure that you have actual steps you can feel in your training that will remain with use of the gripper and also with various states of upkeep. We try to have a healthy perspective about what is possible with ratings and I guess this is all just part of our philosophy at CPW.

• Like 2

This is just me being curious, and the service is already inexpensive, but I wonder what kind of response you would get if you offered a discount to re-rate grippers that you initially rated. To qualify for a discount, make them give a brief history of storage/usage for each one that gets re-rated. Even if it's just $1 off, I think it's an interesting thing to consider.

Dude! I'm sick of your addictive site! I promise myself not to buy anymore cool rated grippers for a while. I have enough! Grrrrr

• Like 2

I got the 160.... Can't wait to get a feel for it. A 136# 2.5 too... Pretty much a featherweight #3. Thanks for the rating service and posting pre-rated grippers!!

Nice, I snagged the 137# 2.5 a nice step up from my 129# 2.5. Also Matt what oil do you use on the grippers?

Grippers rated by Matt that I intend to use for competition I simply place in a sealed plastic bag and don't use at all (other than during competition). A bit pointless having them rated otherwise if you intend to use them for competition (particularly as we maintain records lists for rated gripper closes). How many of those results are based on rated grippers that were also used for training? Probably the vast majority I am afraid.

Yeah, we put 30+ reps on each gripper (although they are not chest crushes! I would have the biggest chest on earth by now.) We also oil the spring and clean it if necessary. If the gripper is going to lose some strength out of the package, I have found that it happens on literally the first rep. We do 30+ for good measure just to be sure. Really the root of this action is to hope for a repeatable result later as long as the spring is clean and oiled. There is always margin of error in the rating process so this is just one more way to try and curb that (and yet another reason we don't deal in decimals). We've also found that grippers tend to get slightly weaker with lots of use, but not by much, and putting the reps on initially helps some.

The rating service, I feel, is most valuable to categorize grippers like we have done at CPW. That's really the point. You have to understand that we're taking a measurement at a specific point in time and then after that the gripper will never be exactly the same. It could hang on a pegboard and never get closed again, but get harder because it rusted. It could be meticulously maintained but also used excessively and end up a little easier. It could rattle around in your gym bag and have all the knurling knocked off and therefore feel harder. New #3s are generally 148 as far as the average data we have collected. So a new one that goes 160 is definitely harder than average. In terms of your own collection, it will likely continue to fall in line that way as compared to other rated grippers you have. But if you sent it back to us, would we get the exact same rating? Probably not, because it's not the exact same gripper we sent you (which is where the Rate and Return service comes in). But even if you never have it rated again, the initial information that it was "160" will have it usefully filling that spot in your collection versus other rated grippers. This is also why CPW recommends that you get ratings in increments of 5 pounds. We feel this helps ensure that you have actual steps you can feel in your training that will remain with use of the gripper and also with various states of upkeep. We try to have a healthy perspective about what is possible with ratings and I guess this is all just part of our philosophy at CPW.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Nice, I snagged the 137# 2.5 a nice step up from my 129# 2.5. Also Matt what oil do you use on the grippers?

3-in-1. Black label.

Grippers came in, ordered late Tuesday, in mailbox by Saturday. Half the country away, great service once again!! Thanks!