Im Silver Bullet 1 Minute Mark Broken?

John McCarter

At some point it really does boil down to a trust issue. Questionable calls in strength sports are not unusual – was this one of them – I have no idea and there is no reasonable way to go back in time and know for sure. So it stands – IT IS the World Record in IronMinds eyes – which in this case are the only eyes that matter. But in time things usually come out – sometime in the future this guy will compete again in front of witnesses – and it will do one of two things – it will make us all believe him at least capable of this record – or make everyone pretty sure something smells.

• Like 1

This is the Ironmind sponsor forum and the intent is for the sponsor to have a special place to advertise their products. And fir people tp ask questions on their products, announce new products, etc. That is the intent of all sponsor forums. It has always been this. I guess we'll move the thread and then it will maybe click!

There. Moved.

I guess we'll move the thread and then it will maybe click!

There. Moved.

I am new to this forum. I was waiting for a couple of days for registraton confirmation and could not comment earlier. There are more points to this discussion on the authencity of the new SB world record. Do I understand correctly that the discussion can be continued elsewhere? Where? Thanks!

sb%205_zps3orqni9w.png

• Like 9

How many times do you think Randall, over the years, has heard that comment on the GB....from people still buying his products?

The last Ironmind product I bought was a #3.5 gripper......about 4-5 years ago from Wade.

I just read through the entire thread. I had no idea that this was going on prior to now. I did see the announcement posted on the Ironmind site a few days ago, but did not know about the controversy outlined here. To someone who loves "grip" and tries to hold himself to a high standard (in my far-less than "elite" attempts), this entire thing stinks.

I've seen guys like Kody and Jedd compete in person, and know how hard they have worked to achieve what they have done. And most of the top, active guys love this sport as much or more than I, and hold themselves to a very-high standard, while working tirelessly to promote the sport. I "get" exactly why so many people are angered by this, as when something means so much to you, and you have devoted so much to it, it hurts to see something cut-down right before your eyes ... something that rips into everything we love and work towards.

I agree with the overall sentiment after having watched the video several times. I'm far from an expert on grippers, but have seen a lot of competition attempts, many that have exceeded the forty-second mark, and none of them have looked like the end of that attempt. In my own meager best at a competition Silver Bullet hold (15 seconds ... close to 20 in training), my arm/hand was shaking so much, and when the handles started to open, they felt like a thousand pounds of force. I've never seen anything quite like the video attempt.

I have a lot of respect for guys like Juha, Kody, and Jedd and what they have accomplished, and how hard they have worked to attain, and attack the SB record. It just leaves a knot in the stomach to see something like this occur.

sb%205_zps3orqni9w.png

Another thing to note is the size of the spring relative to the handles in this image. I put my ruler up against my monitor and compared the ratio of spring width to handle width, and even being generous, it is not as big as the spring in my #3 that I certed on.

• Like 4