Exarmy, Ccs Training.

exarmy

I've had a break from grippers but am not back at it. I'm doing a simple program once a week I made up all by myself:

3 sets of 10 reps on the hardest gripper you can manage. start at CCS but then only release to parallel for the remaining reps.

on the final set, do as many as possible, if I get to 15 then will move up a gripper the next week.

and for the thumb, again 3 sets of 10 with an IMTUG

and I'm going to mix it up once a month and start with the hardest gripper I can CCS and then drop down a level when I fell i'm going to miss, and aim for 30 reps. for example,

SM (133) x 1, RB210 (129) x 1, GHP6 (127) x 1, #2.5 (126) x 1, HG250 (122) x 2, #2 (117) x 4, GHP5 (113) x 5, #2 (107) x 7, GHP 4 (97) 8. I have never tried this yet, so that might be way off but I guess I will find out....

Last week

GHP 4 (97) , 3 sets of 10 each hand

IMTUG 3, 3 sets 10 each hand

this week (today)

Left hand, GHP 4 (97) 3 sets of 10, last set got to 14

Right hand , #2 (107) 3 sets of 10, last set got to 11

3 sets of 10 IMTUG 3 each hand

• Like 2

20-Oct-15

Left hand, GHP 4 (97) 3 sets of 10, last set got to 13

Right hand , #2 (107) 3 sets of 10, last set got to 9!!!!

not really feeling it today my hands felt really tired.

• 2 weeks later...

28-Oct-15

warmup: 10 x pullups, 10 reps each hand Trainer, 2 sets of 10 reps each hand GHP4, powerball 1 min each hand.

Left hand, GHP 4 (97) 3 sets of 10, last set got to 13

Right hand , #2 (107) 3 sets of 10, last set got to 10

singles (CCS)

Left: #2 (close), GHP 5 (miss)

Right: GHP 5 (close), 117 #2 (close), 122 HG250 (close), #2.5 (miss)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

3rd Oct

tried to do some heavy singles, but didn't go very well. I don't think this is anywhere near enough volume, so this is the last of that routine.

right hand;

SM (133) miss RB210 (129) miss, GHP6 (127) miss, #2.5 (126) x 1, HG250 (122) x 1, #2 (117) x 1, GHP5 (113) x 2, #2 (107) x 5, GHP 4 (97) 5

Left hand:

HG250 (122) x miss, #2 (117) x miss, GHP5 (113) x 1, #2 (107) x 3, GHP 4 (97) 5, #1.5 (85) 5

7th Nov

new plan:

CCS reps, swipe a credit card each time

RH: using the #2 (107) 5,4,4,4,4,4,4,3,3,3,2 total 40

LH: using the GHP4 (97) 5,5,5,6,5,4,5,3,3,3 total 41

12th Nov

Swiping a credit card each rep:

Right: (#2) 5,5,5,5,5,4,4,4,3,3,2 Total 45

Left; (#2)3 (GHP4) 5.5.5.5.5.5.4.3,3,2 Total 45

got some massive pain in my left middle knuckle whilst using the 2 left handed! seems bearable with the GHP4

19th Nov

Right: (#2) 5,5,5,5,5,5,5,4,4,4,3 Total 50

Left: (IMTUG 5, ring and pinky only, middle knuckle is finished, had pain just picking things up all week after the last session) 10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10 Total 100

Think i'll move up to the GHP5 once I can do 10 sets of 5 reps (totalling 50) without a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

27th Nov

Right: (#2) 5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5 Total 50

Left: (IMTUG 5) 10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10 Total 100

spread this one over 3 hours, just because I was busy and kept forgetting!

I think the cold weather has a detrimental affect on my hand strength, I was working outside all day on thursday, when I came in from work i could barely close the 2, let alone do 50 reps! so had to skip the workout

back in summer I would come in from work and be at peak strength and get stuck into the grippers. I think I can safely say it will be next summer before I break any PR's

• Like 1

How can your skin hold up under that volume? Mines ripping up at 15-25 tougher reps

Edited by jvance

How can your skin hold up under that volume? Mines ripping up at 15-25 tougher reps

50 reps is fine once a week, I have quite tough hands anyway. During RRBT this year once I got my hands toughened up and got hard skin everywhere after 2 weeks or so, the problem was the massive amount of hard skin I developed, I had to use a micro pedi once a day and file down excess skin and the lumps of hard skin and then apply moisturiser twice a day to soften them up.

I have nowhere near as much tough skin as I did this summer now i;m just training once a week, but I think there is still a baseline toughness thats been built up. I can feel a bit of tenderness on the ring & pinky fingers right now but in a few days they will be fine.

It's just a case of building up hard skin to cope one bit at a time, nice and steady, without doing too much and getting a blister. If i were to increase the frequency, or use a GHP gripper(tougher knurl), or do a grip session after i've washed my hands(softer skin) then i'd probably get blisters, and once you get them you're pretty much screwed!

• Like 1

Sorry to see your CCS plan (1st one) didn't work out like you had hoped! Looked like a solid one to me. I wonder if you'd have better results splitting the workout in half and doing it twice a week. Or doing strictly singles - even if they are separated by very little rest, like 30 seconds - to hit your rep goal. The reasoning behind volume singles is that you will be closing each one with a higher amount of force than if you were doing 3 sets of 10 reps. Plus, you'd be doing much more CCS volume, since each rep (single) would be CCS. Instead of just the first in one each set.

50 CCS singles would be some pretty decent volume. I used to love high volume gripper workouts. Mine were on the far end of the spectrum volume-wise though. Yours seems much smarter than the ones I used to do.

10 years after certifying on the #3, I'd be more likely to recommend 10 CCS singles with the same gripper. Then go up to a slightly harder gripper the next workout, after you hit 10 singles in one workout. 3 to 5 minutes rest between sets. 10 singles would still demand your attention and focus. But it wouldn't be so many that you lost the drive to complete them in a single workout. Plus, only doing 10 singles would allow you to use a significantly harder gripper for your CCS work.

• Like 1

I think 50 singles seems to be about right now, It's hard to do, but my hand feels like it's done a workout, and the next day, it feels sore. when I was doing the 1st workout it don't seem like it was enough, and every week it seemed to be getting harder like I was getting weaker!

I agree the hard singles would be a good plan, but right now I want to do most of the work high volume because when i seem to do that each session seems to get easier and I seem to do more. I will probably do a few sessions with 10 CCS singles using a harder gripper just to see how it goes.

Also I feel i have to mention i'm not trying to break any records now, i'm just taking it easy (sort of) because I'm going travelling around Asia in a few weeks AND the weather here is cold which is annoying as a lot of the time my hands feel stiff and weak.

so I think i'll be taking it easy until springtime an then I really cannot wait until I start another round of RRBT, probably the exact same grippers I used last time but this time CCS reps

3-12-15

Right: (#2) 5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5 Total 50

Left: (IMTUG 5) 10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10 Total 100

I think i can safely say I can handle 10 sets of 5 reps with the #2, managed to do them all within half an hour, and felt strong, was getting a click on all but the last rep on the last 3 sets. still only using the IMTUG 5 on my left (pinky & ring fingers) but they are getting easy, the IMTUG 6 is a huge step up though I cannot even do 1 rep with either hand! left middle knuckle is still broken and cannot use regular grippers!

• Like 1

What happen to your knuckle? It really sucks when you can't workout properly because of injuries.

It was getting a lot of stress in KTA, but it was sort of manageable and the pain used to go away after I was warmed up, but then I ended up stopping training with my left in the last couple of weeks of KTA, just to try and give it a rest and it seemed like it was getting better, and then when I started the new workout (after 2-3 weeks full rest) it still seemed to be there, and a couple of weeks in to it one day (I think the problem was just not warming up correctly) jumped right in with the #2 and it now feels like the harder I Squeeze the more it hurts!

So for now on my left I'm just going to focus on my thumb pad, and ring and pinky fingers, and extensors, theres still plenty to do, hopefully by next spring it's sorted itself out. no big deal it's just my off hand, i''d be more annoyed if it was the right hand!

I'm sorry to read that, best of luck with your rehab. I got some evil injury myself a year back, in my middle finger, the part closest to the knuckle. Took like 6 months to heal. In the beginning I couldn't do anything with my right hand not even shift gear when driving, really annoying and depressing. I think I got it from poor warmup also. Proper warmups are really important.

How did KTA work out for you with the right hand?

thanks, I'm hoping it will be alright. So if theres one thing we've both learned it's that warmups are really important! I now do twice the volume just on a warmup, for some reason I used to worry that by doing too much of a warmup I would not be able to complete the main workout, well i've figured out that is the wrong approach.

KTA was hard to measure, I closed the #3 just before I finished RRBT and ever since then the goalposts moved from MMS to CCS, so I was constantly widening the starting position, which I think is the wrong way to do it. so I never appeared to get any stronger because I wasn't setting them in to parallel to start the close as I was before. my left hand got a lot stronger during KTA, I went from 2.5(125) to GHP6 (136) over the course then the knuckle went.

Now I'm doing CCS training I don't feel as strong MMS, strength seems to have gone away... but I'm sure it will come back, just going to work my way up again but maintain the CCS starting position

• Like 1

3-12-15

Doubles with 117lb #2, still swiping credit card every rep

2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2 Total 20 reps

roughly 100 with the IMTUG 5 left hand (ring& pinky fingers) but i lost count

Also I got a RB grip dyno, It's much biger than I thought, seems hard to get a grip of it. I could only manage 67kg

this is the last grip training I will be doing for a while, going on holiday for a month :grin:

• 1 month later...

Monday 18th Jan

Right hand, CCS reps with #2: 5,5,5,5,5,5,5,4 total 39

Left hand, IMTUG 5 (ring & pinky), 10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10 total 80

Let hand, IMTUG 4 (1 finger closes) , 10,10,10,10,10,10,10,10 total 80

Middle knuckle is still giving me trouble on the left hand so I am training around it. I find even using 2 fingers and my thumb in the traditional pinch form it puts stress on it so I don't do that now. I've not used a gripper heavier than that trainer with my left for ages but i can still feel a bit of pain when using that so I am reluctant to start using anything heavier.

Monday 25th Jan

10 sets of 5 reps with to #2 CCS, Total 50 reps, Back to full strength after my holidays, infact this might have been the strongest I've felt for a few months.

with the left, loads of work with the IMTUGS still working everything but the middle knuckle. didn't really count the reps but it was probably twice what I did last week

Mon 1st Feb

Little bit of a change from the norm today as I was getting a bit tired of the endless CCS reps on the #2.

Warmups; 20 x T, 20 x TNS 1.5, 20 x 0.5 really fast to get them warmed up!

2 x CCS reps #2 (117)

1 x CCS HG250 (122)

1 x CCS HG250 (feels like a 125 RGC)
1 x 2.5 (126) Choked to 23mm)
1 x GHP6 (127) Choked 18mm) same jubilee clamp, weird how there such a difference?
2 x SM (133) choked to 19mm)
2 x GHP 6 (136) Choked to 19mm)
1 x #3 (139) choked to 22mm) I missed the first one, and then used my left hand to steady it and shut it
1 x #3 (139) choked to 22mm) used the wrong gripper here i was supposed to do the next one up!
1 x #3 (143) choked 22mm,
1 x #3 (148) choked 22mm, missed it by 1mm!
and then back down....
143 (only just, maybe a hair away) 139, 136, 133, 127, 126, these were quite easy it was literally one after the other with no rest after the 143 #3
1 x CCS 2.5 (125)
5 x CCS 2 (107)
1 x CCS GHP 5 (113)
1 x CCS #2 (117) ( I closed this with such speed I'm starting to doubt its actually a 117...?)
1 x CCS HG250 (122)
1 x CCS Left turn #2, only just, suprising how much difference the spring makes
I think that'll do for now. just had a count up and its 30 reps in total

• 2 weeks later...

Sat 6th Feb

Whilst at work I did 3 sets of 10 reps within 10 mins with a HG250 (122) MMS set opening up to just wider than parallell. quite surprised really, just goes to show how much difference it makes when my hands are sufficiently warmed up from working with them, as yet I have not been able to warm them up better any other way. 

Tues 9th Feb

CCS attempt 2.5, missed by about 5mm!

All reps CCS :

GHP5 x 3

#2 x 5

GHP5 x 3

#2 x 5

#2(filed) x 1 

GHP5 x 3

#2 x 5

#2 (117lbs) x 4

GHP5 x 3

#2 x 5

I think I'm going backwards, maybe swiping a car every time is not doing me any favours. I am thinking of just sacking this off and going back to MMS and get back up to the 150's and then hope the strength carries over to CCS. or maybe initially set at credit card width, then only release to parallel and use heavier grippers

I think you should stick with it but also add narrow set in your workouts. Like you did with the choker work a week ago. I think it will pay off, you will get that #2.5 with CCS soon if you stick with I think.

Mon 15th Feb

Felt incredibly weak today, whilst warming up I grabbed the trainer and it felt like a 1.5. I can only guess this is because I was outside most of the day and for a few hours I could not feel my hands as it was just below freezing for most of the morning. So I spent about 20 mins doing things to try and liven them up, powerball, extensors, pullups, pressups, dead hangs, stretches and then attempted a workout but it did not go well...

workout plan this week; set at CCS for 1st rep, then only release to thin side of GHP set block (1" or 25mm) for subsequent reps

10 x GHP4

#2 x 4

GHP5 x 4

(117) #2 x 3

GHP5 x 3

GHP5 x 1

#2 x 4

#2 x 3

and then I gave up, just felt like I have no energy left.

On 2/11/2016 at 10:45 AM, Fist of Fury said:

I think you should stick with it but also add narrow set in your workouts. Like you did with the choker work a week ago. I think it will pay off, you will get that #2.5 with CCS soon if you stick with I think.

I will have a think about it, I think last week's poor session could have been because my hands were cold, same as this week, so maybe i'll stick with it a little longer and see how it goes.

theres 2 "ways" to go about it from what I can see.  just focus on CCS and slowly work upto 150lbs, or just do MMS and aim for 165lbs then in theroy CCS 150 should be possible. both have their merits, i'm going to see if I can research them a bit now