Off Hand Mm1 Log

bencrush

Nate Brous has inspired me to set a goal to certify on the MM1 with my left hand. I've been really enjoying his training log. And it has me thinking that if he is continuing to not only train - but to kick ass - with his heart condition and all the discomfort and pain and depression and assorted other difficulties life is throwing at him...why can't I regain a little of my former off hand strength?

I have been training grippers again since about March. Not the "old" style of training I used to do. Where I was actively trying to get stronger and doing a lot of volume. The style of training I've been doing since March is not focused on getting stronger. Which took me a while to get used to, to be honest. I have mentioned the aim of that style of training elsewhere, but I'm going to continue training that way with my right hand. It's still affected years later by the tweaks and strains I've subjected it to over the years. From work-related injuries, bending-related injuries, and other small training-related injuries.

This year has seen me injured more than the previous 15 years combined. Various things. Not all work-related or training-related. Some of them are probably just a consequence of turning 40 and accumulation of wear and tear from living and having a stressful job. A short list of things that have derailed my training this year are: a slipped disk in my neck in March. Then a health scare over the summer that I won't elaborate on. Followed up by a concussion a week ago. So...I could continue just treading water on my left hand, or actively try to get stronger. Stronger is more fun. So that's what I'm going to pursue. I am basically treading water with the right hand. And I am totally okay with that. It is not getting injured, staying healthy, and I have more than enough baseline strength righty to do the kettlebell workouts I'm doing and the extremely sporadic Highland Games practice I manage to squeeze into my schedule.

I don't have the free time I once did to train with high volume gripper closes. That's where Nate's "SSN" outline comes in handy. He explained it in his training log, and I really like the simplicity of it. It will work well for my super busy schedule (2.5 year old toddler, stressful work, etc.) and won't take a lot of time to perform. I'm only going to log my left hand workouts, hence the title of the log - "Off Hand MM1 Log."

Here's a short timeline of my lefty MMS progress since March.

• March - best close was a 112lb Master. BASELINE.
  • May - best close was a 123lb #2.5.
  • August - best close was a 132lb SM.
  • October - best close so far is a 143lb #3. Before my concussion.

Notes: After my concussion a week ago, I couldn't TNS close the Trainer lefty a full 24 hours later. 48 hours post-concussion, I barely closed the Trainer and failed on the #1 TNS by 1/4". 5 days later, I TNS closed the #1 and the #2. So I hope that my strength continues to creep back over the coming weeks until I'm back at the 143lb #3 level again.

I should point out that the increase from my baseline to the 143lb #3 has all been from the "slow-twitch" hybrid program that I've been doing with righty and lefty since March. And it definitely isn't focused on increasing strength at the close.

• Like 7

Nate Brous has inspired me to set a goal to certify on the MM1 with my left hand. I've been really enjoying his training log. And it has me thinking that if he is continuing to not only train - but to kick ass - with his heart condition and all the discomfort and pain and depression and assorted other difficulties life is throwing at him...why can't I regain a little of my former off hand strength?

I have been training grippers again since about March. Not the "old" style of training I used to do. Where I was actively trying to get stronger and doing a lot of volume. The style of training I've been doing since March is not focused on getting stronger. Which took me a while to get used to, to be honest. I have mentioned the aim of that style of training elsewhere, but I'm going to continue training that way with my right hand. It's still affected years later by the tweaks and strains I've subjected it to over the years. From work-related injuries, bending-related injuries, and other small training-related injuries.

This year has seen me injured more than the previous 15 years combined. Various things. Not all work-related or training-related. Some of them are probably just a consequence of turning 40 and accumulation of wear and tear from living and having a stressful job. A short list of things that have derailed my training this year are: a slipped disk in my neck in March. Then a health scare over the summer that I won't elaborate on. Followed up by a concussion a week ago. So...I could continue just treading water on my left hand, or actively try to get stronger. Stronger is more fun. So that's what I'm going to pursue. I am basically treading water with the right hand. And I am totally okay with that. It is not getting injured, staying healthy, and I have more than enough baseline strength righty to do the kettlebell workouts I'm doing and the extremely sporadic Highland Games practice I manage to squeeze into my schedule.

I don't have the free time I once did to train with high volume gripper closes. That's where Nate's "SSN" outline comes in handy. He explained it in his training log, and I really like the simplicity of it. It will work well for my super busy schedule (2.5 year old toddler, stressful work, etc.) and won't take a lot of time to perform. I'm only going to log my left hand workouts, hence the title of the log - "Off Hand MM1 Log."

Here's a short timeline of my lefty MMS progress since March.

• March - best close was a 112lb Master. BASELINE.
  • May - best close was a 123lb #2.5.
  • August - best close was a 132lb SM.
  • October - best close so far is a 143lb #3. Before my concussion.

Notes: After my concussion a week ago, I couldn't TNS close the Trainer lefty a full 24 hours later. 48 hours post-concussion, I barely closed the Trainer and failed on the #1 TNS by 1/4". 5 days later, I TNS closed the #1 and the #2. So I hope that my strength continues to creep back over the coming weeks until I'm back at the 143lb #3 level again.

I should point out that the increase from my baseline to the 143lb #3 has all been from the "slow-twitch" hybrid program that I've been doing with righty and lefty since March. And it definitely isn't focused on increasing strength at the close.

Thanks man. The things that you and many others here on the board have done, has been a well of motivation that I have drawn from. I look forward to following this log.

• Like 4

First "official" SSN workout in the books this morning around 3am. Right hand (as I mentioned in the first post) was a completely different workout. The slow-twitch gripper hybrid protocol. I won't mention it again, but for anyone wanting to see #3s and #3.5s smashed (like in my gripper heyday) - you should skip this log. Because it ain't going to happen here.

Warmed up with TNS work on easy grippers. I felt that the longer range of motion would warm my hands up better than the MMS reps.

• Left Turn Trainer-x10 *Notes: Did these reps seated. Medium speed.
  • Left Turn #1x5 *Notes: Also seated. Faster rep speed than the Trainer. But still pretty conservatively paced.
  • Left Turn #2x1 *Notes: Still seated. Moderate rep speed. Felt slower than I thought it should, but I didn't worry about it.

Notes: 5 minutes rest between these sets. And it would turn out to be 5 minutes rest between the following sets. I had thought I'd take more time, but I didn't want to have my hands get cold and waste the warmup I did.

Switched to MMS for the remaining work sets.

• 132lb SM-x1 *Notes: Crushed it and held it shut for 1 second. Seated.
  • 143lb #3x1 *Notes: Hard close. But I still got it. Standing for this set. No need for the "SSN" nudges yet...since I closed this attempt.
  • 149lb #3-MISS *Notes: By @ 1/16". If I had been chalked up (was at work, so no chalk), this almost certainly would've been closed. Did the "SSN" nudges as long as I could stand the discomfort. Which was probably only 10 seconds. Standing again for this attempt.
  • 149lb #3-MISS *Notes: By @ 1/8". Standing. Did the "SSN" nudges.
  • 149lb #3-MISS *Notes: By @ 3/16". Standing. Did the "SSN" nudges.
  • 149lb #3-MISS *Notes: By @ 3/16". Standing. Did the "SSN" nudges, but they were pretty weak.

Overall Notes: Only did a total of 4 "SSN" sets with the 149lb #3. But I think that's fine, since my hands have become so de-trained on grippers. Or at least grippers - the way I used to train them.

I was very tempted to do more work at the end of the workout. Like a ridiculous amount of singles with the Left Turn #2. Or a bunch with the 132lb SM. But I resisted the urge and just stuck to the plan.

I will recover from this workout and then have another go with the same 149lb #3. It won't be hard to figure out if I'm not recovering enough from the previous workout/life/other training/stress, etc.

It will take me a while to get used to the nudges. This isn't a bad thing. But I was always one of those guys that either got the gripper shut right away or it just wasn't going to shut. No 2nd gear, like I see with some guys who get stuck at 1/16" and then somehow manage to ratchet it down and touch the handles.

The next workout, I may try to increase the number of "SSN" sets to 5 or 6 - with the 149lb #3. I don't want to fall into the trap of just trying to increase volume at the sake of quality. But not increasing something will just encourage me to coast along like driving Miss Daisy.

• Like 2

But I was always one of those guys that either got the gripper shut right away or it just wasn't going to shut. No 2nd gear, like I see with some guys who get stuck at 1/16" and then somehow manage to ratchet it down and touch the handles.

Same here, I never know how those guys do it.
  • Like 2

It's a shame I sold my RGC (and the power rack it was mounted on) a few years ago. Because I have a spectacular weapon in the Assault On Precinct Off Hand MM1...the Silvis T-Rex. I've had it since late July and used it extensively with my slow twitch hybrid gripper program. Of course it's not necessary to have every millimeter depth mounting RGC rated...but it would be nice. I'm guessing that if I bury the spring, it would RGC rate around 150lbs. I have a 149lb #3 on loan. But it won't be mine to use for very much longer.

• Like 1

Did my 2nd "SSN" workout on October 21st.

Well, hindsight is sometimes the reason for keeping a training log. I rested 4 days between my 1st "SSN" workout and the 2nd. Turns out that it wasn't enough rest. Even though my left hand felt rested. My right hand workout has been about twice a week, so that's why I specified that it wasn't enough for the left. It is enough for the right, but that's because the workouts are about as different as you can get.

Warmed up with TNS work again. This will remain the same throughout my bid for the Off Hand MM1. The grippers might change here and there. But TNS closes on easy grippers are not a bad warmup.

• Left Turn Trainer-x10
  • Left Turn #1x5
  • Left Turn #2x1

Notes: 5 minutes rest between the warmup sets.

Switched to MMS for the remaining work sets. And I used chalk. Lots of chalk. On the gripper handles and on my hands. It didn't make any difference. The 149lb #3 remained unclosed. And unimpressed by my efforts.

• 132lb SM-x1 *Notes: Easy close.
  • 149lb #3-MISS *Notes: By @ 3/16".
  • 149lb #3-MISS *Notes: By @ 1/16".
  • 149lb #3-MISS *Notes: By @ 3/16".
  • 143lb #3x1 Notes: Barely closed it.

Overall Notes: Only did a total of 3 "SSN" sets with the 149lb #3. This was a crappy workout. I wasn't any closer than I was the last workout. And that was without chalk.

Did manage to close (barely) the 143lb #3 after the 3 attempts on the 149lb #3. Shouldn't have put this in the workout. But my weak will power got the better of me.

I did the "SSN" nudges on all 3 missed attempts though.

Probably should've rested at least 5 days instead of 4. Lesson learned. Although it will be a dynamic amount of rest days, depending on my work stress, diet, etc. Next workout will be at least 5 days from this one. Then I can decide if I want to go to 6 days or even 7 days between gripper workouts.

I forgot to include that I did a very brief set depth "test" with the Silvis T-Rex lefty. With the spring at 1.5mm (the thickness of a penny), I was not even close to MMS closing it. But I was admittedly already fatigued from the missed attempts on the 149lb #3. I just wanted to see if I'd have enough tension to challenge my left hand and still be able to progressively work toward closing something a bit harder every workout.

It's been about 12 hours since I finished my 2nd "SSN" workout. My left pinky feels like it's recently been broken. It's not. But that's the interesting feedback/discomfort that is being transmitted to me this morning. I don't really mind the feeling, since I know it's not actually from a broken bone. It must be the stress of the "nudges" in the workout that are announcing themselves on my achy, getting older body. I feel that it means I'm on track if there is some discomfort. Getting stronger with a very abbreviated (compared to what I used to be quite able to recover from) workload means there has to be some give and take. I'm totally comfortable with discomfort (lol) if it means I'm getting stronger!

• Like 1

I have healed up well from my concussion and am going to restart the "Protocol 520" program by StrongFirst. It shouldn't eat into my recovery reserves too much. But I'm thinking about a minimum of 7 days between "SSN" workouts and see if that is enough recovery time. That might be harder on my willpower (keeping myself from doing a gripper workout more frequently) than my recovery ability. :)

• Like 1

A wise man (thanks, Nate!) convinced me to take 7 days between all my SSN workouts. Not 7 days if I "feel like it." 7 days. Period. So I'm honing my will power to a fine edge. Because my hands felt "ready" after 5 days rest. But I am not questioning the value of recovery. Just questioning my ability to stick with the recommended recovery between workouts. And really, I'm not questioning that after my last conversation with Nate. I can do this.

After my 12-hour shift ends at 7am, I am the sole caretaker for Tiny Overlord until about noon. I'm hopeful that she will be nice and let me do a lefty gripper workout. The gripper workouts I do for my right hand are way less involved. No chalk and really not much focus on using a hard gripper. So those workouts tend to go unnoticed by her. But for the SSN workouts, I want to chalk up and focus on getting strong(er). So it's going to be a case of diverting her attention away from the grippers - she LOVES to run around the house with my grippers! - and on to her flash cards or some bizarre show like one of her recent favorites - Wishenpoof. It is terrible.

I've been "out of the game" so long that I actually just remembered a few days ago that in order to even qualify for MM1 (off hand), I actually (duh) have to be MM0 first. Yeah, total noob thing to forget about. No problem though. I'll familiarize myself with the rules again and submit an Off Hand MM0 video soon. Not really in any hurry, but it will feel like I'm at least making some progress toward making this all "official." And not just another started-but-never-updated training log.

It has been 10 years since I did my MM1 cert. My how time flies! I was roaring through the grippers in 2005.

I'll report back here with the results of today's workout. I am really hoping to smash the life out of the 149lb #3 that's on loan to me. That would put me pretty close to the MM1. Still a good amount of work to do to get there. But within striking distance.

I might be ready to attempt the cert before the end of the year, if things go well today.

• Like 2

After my 12-hour shift ends at 7am, I am the sole caretaker for Tiny Overlord until about noon. I'm hopeful that she will be nice and let me do a lefty gripper workout.

Well...my wife texted me a few minutes ago and said that Tiny Overlord was chasing the dogs around the house while shouting-singing "God-DAMMIT!" repeatedly. Probably not a good sign for what's waiting for me when I get off work. :grin:

• Like 2

Well, for the few of you that actually keep track of my new off hand MM1 blog, it's going to continue, but I've had yet another setback.

2015 has turned out to be the best year yet for me and my wife. Being facetious, haha.

I had a good workout on the 28th. MMS closed the 149lb #3 for 2 singles lefty. I think I even texted Nate that same night to say how glad I was to be on the SSN workout.

Then, the next day - my wife and I were in our Honda Odyssey minivan (stopped behind a car that was broken down in the lane) when a kid in a Dodge Ram slammed into the back of our van. Don't know how fast he was going yet. Hope to find out tomorrow when the police report is supposed to be ready. It totaled the van. And almost totaled me and my wife. She was transported by ambulance to the closest ER. I wasn't allowed to ride with her. So I was left on the side of the road with a badly dislocated pinky (epic dislocate win) and limping around with a banged up leg from the wreck. The truck slamming into the back of our van obliterated the 3rd row of seating. And even broke the mounting on our car seat - which was installed by a car seat tech friend of ours. Then the airbags exploded when the truck smashed us into the SUV in front of us. There was at least a full van's length in front of us. That gives a hint at how fast this guy was driving.

So, the pinky went back into place without much of a problem. Pain? Yeah, there was a lot of that. Even with the adrenaline.

I am healing pretty fast, or so the docs say. Went back to work today, after taking some time to heal myself - and take care of my wife while she continues to heal. And of course take care of our toddler, who is somehow like a pain-seeking missile because she manages to hit every sore spot on my body when she is "greeting" me and my wife, lol.

I was able to close the #1 two days after the wreck. So the pinky is coming along well. One of the docs told me that he couldn't believe I had been injured - even though he could tell that my pinky was obviously screwed up - due to the squeeze I put on his fingers during the exam. I took that as a compliment. :grin:

So...today would've been the 7 days between workouts. Obviously it wasn't going to happen today. But maybe Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. I'm off all three of those days. If I'm feeling strong I'll try the 155 that Nate sent me. It might result in huge failure. If my pinky is not up to it, I'll just take more days off. It's not rocket science, right.

• Like 2

I hope you and your wife heal fast Ben!!!

Thanks, Jorg! We are healing okay. My body is slowly healing. My pinky is healing pretty fast, actually. Maybe to the point where it's time to try another workout this morning after work. Might wait another day to give it a shot though.

• Like 1

Crazy. Glad everyone is ok though.

Thanks a lot! This past week seems like we've spent all our time on the phone with the insurance company. Or at the doctor's office. Or either at physical therapy or on the phone with them. Or the dentist. And on and on and on.

I am healing pretty fast, or so the docs say. Went back to work today, after taking some time to heal myself - and take care of my wife while she continues to heal. And of course take care of our toddler, who is somehow like a pain-seeking missile because she manages to hit every sore spot on my body when she is "greeting" me and my wife, lol.

Gawd, this is just hilarious and the most true thing I've ever read. If you ever get a vasectomy.... :shutup:

• Like 2

Did a "test" MMS gripper workout on November 6th. "Test" - because it was testing how much my left hand was recovering from the severe dislocation. Turns out it's doing pretty well. Not 100%, but at least 90%.

That was 8 days ago. So when I get off work tonight, it'll be 8 days since my last gripper workout. Time to do another SSN workout.

The best I did on November 6th was MMS closing the 143lb #3. I missed the 149lb #3 on three attempts. Not by a lot on the closest attempt. Not a bad result, considering my left pinky is still tender now, 16 days later. Didn't even attempt Nate's 155lb #3 yet, because it would've been a lost cause after not closing the 149lb #3.

I have decided to work with the 155lb #3 tonight, or whenever my next gripper workout is - per Nate's recommendation. It is hard for my brain to do this. Skipping the 149lb #3 (when I'm not closing it several workouts in a row) and going right to the harder gripper does make sense for several reasons that are obvious. And some that are not obvious.

So you normaly do grippers just once a week?

"Normally" on this SSN workout, yes. That will be the new normal. And then when I can't recover enough from that, I'll extend it to 8 days. Then 9 days. Then 10 days, if that's what it takes. This is all left hand.

As for my right hand, it does the other hybrid workout about twice a week. Well, twice a week when I'm not injured or recovering from an injury. Which seems to be often this year, lol. With no focus on strength development on the right hand, I could do it 7 days a week and recover. I'd just have to dial down the intensity a bit. The intensity is moderate, at most.

At my strongest (2005 to 2008-ish) on grippers, frequency was at least twice a week. Closer to 4 or 5 times when I've focused on wide and deep sets.

• Like 1

What do you think of a GTG ( Pavel ) program for grippers?

• Like 1

What do you think of a GTG ( Pavel ) program for grippers?

I think a GTG program for grippers is essential for the highest gripper success. For me. That's what I was doing years ago (pre-toddler, lol) over 12-hour night shifts when I was at my best. I would've continued to get stronger, too. I'm confident of that. But for various reasons, I can't do that anymore. And to be honest - I don't have the desire to do that anymore, even if I had the time available to do it.

• Like 1