Developing The Crushing And Healing Hand

DoctorOfCrush

Nov. 2:

Warmup

CCS: GHP4

CoC2

GHP5x 1, 1 Miss on the left both times but barely and I got it with some additional bracing.

20mm: CoC2x 5/2+2 2 regular reps plus 2 braced on the left. Best effort thus far on the right.

GHP5

MMS: CoC2.5x 3 attempts Getting pretty close unassisted.

Negatives: CoC2.5x 3 attempts

Hollow body pull-ups: 10, 9, 8, 8, 7 (fighter day 13)

Edited by DoctorOfCrush

Nov. 3:

Total crap. I've decided to start going every other day because I apparently cannot recover any more.

Nov. 4:

Warmup

MMS: GHP4

CoC2

GHP5x 1, 1

CoC2.5x 2 attempts

GHP5x 1, 1

CoC2.5x 2 attempts

GHP5x 1, 1

CoC2.5x 1 attempt I added in another attempt because I was so stinking close.

Negatives: CoC2.5x 3 These have gotten really intense. I went about ~20-25 seconds every time.

Nov. 6:

Warmup

CCS: GHP4

CoC2x 1, 1

GHP5

20mm: CoC2

GHP5

MMS: CoC2.5x 3 attempts So stinking close.

Negatives: CoC2.5x 3 Even more intense. They all lasted 25-30 sec.

Hollow-body pull-ups: 14 I decided to reset my max reps. I'll start over in 2 days with a max of 14.

Hey nice log. I notice most docs have limp wrist handshakes, glad you're working to change that.

Anyway I notice you're closing in on the 2.5, very good progress. You might want to back off the frequent attempts with it and focus on quality sets/reps with the 2. Maxing your grip too often will stop and reverse progress. Good luck and hope you keep progressing!

• Like 2

Yeah, I think I have known in the back of my mind that this is something I needed to change because I've mainly been doing heavy singles. I think keep my wide set day to working up in CCS and 20mm sets of ~3-5 quality reps with the CoC2. That mixed with taking more rest days like I wrote about earlier should help a lot. Thanks for the advice!

Haven't posted in a few day because I just started my pediatrics rotation, and I started my first week in the neonatal ICU, so it's been kind of hectic.

Nov. 7:

Hollow body pull-ups: 14, 12, 10, 8, 6. Phew this was rough. Especially the set of 12.

Nov. 8:

Warmup

MMS: 4

2x 3/3

5x 1, 1

2.5x 2 attempts

5x 1, 1

2x 1, 1

5x 1, 1

2.5x 1 attempt

Negatives: 2.5x 3

Nov. 10:

Warmup

CCS: 4

20mm: 2 x 5/4

2 x 6/4 This was a rep pr on the right for me.

2 x 5/3 Decided to stop here because I definitely have to get used to more volume/set.

Negatives: 2.5 x 3

Nov 11:

Hollow body pull-ups: 14, 12, 10, 8, 8 Very tough. I like doing the higher reps, but I may test my max with a 25# weight and restart using weighted pull-ups.

Nov 12:

Warmup

MMS: 2

5x 2 sets

2.5x 2 attempts By far the closest I've been. Laying off on the heavy singles helped me a lot more than I thought it would. This will be closed soon.

2x 2 sets

5x 2 sets

2.5x 2 attempts

Kept it super short because it was a bit later and my wife and I were ready to go to bed. I'm super excited because I think my father-in-law has ordered me some grippers for Christmas. I asked for the GHP6 134 and the CoC3 150 from the pre-rated sale, so I might get those to start workingtowards.

Here's a still from my closest set on the 2.5.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/96bxneliu38f1xp/IMG_2876-1.PNG

Edited by DoctorOfCrush

Nov 14:

Warmup

20mm: 2x 5/3

5/3

5/4

5/3

5/2

Negatives: 2.5x 1, 1, 1

Nov. 16:

Warmup

2x 2 sets

5x 2 sets

2.5x 2 attempts I was less than a mm away.

2.5x 1 attempt Called it short because of time constraints

Nov. 18:

Warmup

2x 2 sets

5x 2 sets

2.5x 2 attempts Went ahead with repeating the MMS workout because the last one was short and I was so close. Nevertheless, it just wasn't quite there. I was basically a human's hair away from closing. My wife said I got it, but I don't think I did. I really hope to have a close on the next workout.

5x 2 sets

2.5x 2 attempts

Negatives: 2.5 x 1, 1, 1

Nov. 19:

Hollow body pull-ups: 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 I decided to start doing weighted pull-ups instead of just pumping out tons of reps. These were all done with 25#. I might try more later and titrate the weight to whatever I can do for 5 good reps.

KB Press: 53# x 5x5 I just alternated these sets with the pullup sets.

Nov. 20:

Warmup

20mm: 2x 5/3

5/4

5/3

5/4

8/3 Rep PR on the right. I was very close to getting the 9th.

Nov. 22:

Grippers: Warmup

MMS: 4x3

5 x2 sets

2.5 x2 attempts

5 x2 sets

2.5 x2 attempts

Thumb clamp: 6x20 I figured I should get back at these because I've let them fall off a bit.

Kettlebells: Long cycle: 53#x5x6 It felt really good to get the heart rate up. These felt really smooth. I can tell the pull-ups have helped my lats abilities to keep the bell as

close as possible.

​Nov 24:

Warmup

20mm w/ CoC 2: 5/4

5/4

5/4

5/3+1b

8/4

​Thumb clamps: 7x20

Nov 27:

Warmup

2 x3/3

2 overcrush

5 x 2 sets overcrush

2.5 x CLOSE/braced close First close of the 2.5. I'll post a video below

5 x 2 sets

2.5 x braced closes

4 x 24/15 This was a PR set that I did just for fun to close out the workout.

Thumb clamps: 3x20, 2x25

Edited by DoctorOfCrush
  • Like 1

Nov 28:

Did some kb work today.

53# long cycle: 1x5 each side, 3x8 each side

53# snatch: 3x5 each side

I'll probably work up to doing 5x10 comfortably in the long cycle then move to doing sets of 5 or so with the 70# bell. That or I'll just start doing simple and sinister again. It really depends on my mood. I had forgotten just how much those snatches wear out your hands.

Nov 29:

Warmup

20mm w/ CoC2: 5/5

5/5

5/4

5/4

9/5 Pretty close to getting 10 on that set.

Thumb clamps: 5x25

Here's the last #2 set with my right. I apparently had no camera awareness during this set.

Nov. 29 PM:

53# long cycle: 3x10 each side These plus the snatches killed my hands, so I'll probably just do some swings tomorrow.

Janda situps: 3x5

Edited by DoctorOfCrush

Dec 2:

Warmup

2 x 3/3

5 x 2/2; 1 set OC

2.5 x 1/1 attempt; 1/1b Actually a pretty easy close. It felt pretty solid. I'll probably start attempting a true MMS next time I do my heavy single day.

5 x 2/2; 1 set OC

2.5 x 1/1b Tougher close, so I called it here to make sure I had quality closes.

5 x 5/3 PR set on both hands.

Thumb clamps: 6x25

Dec. 4:

Warmup

20mm:GHP 5 x 3/2 I decided I would try to get in some quality reps with the 5 if I could.

3/3

3/3

CoC2 x 5/3

5/3

9/4 Almost 10/almost 5 with this one. Was about 2-3mm off on each.

Neg: 2.5 x 1, 1, 1 I am now up to doing >30 sec on both sides. They're taxing.

I have started taking 2 days between my rep day and my MMS day, and that has been working well, so I think I will begin taking 2 days between the MMS day and rep day as well instead of just one. I think that will make the GHP5 reps of better quality. We'll see.

Dec 5:

KB Swings: 100 1-arm swings w/ 53# in 4:05

I did these 10 w/ 1 arm, toss to other arm, then 10 more. I wanted to make sure I could still complete these in the SNS timeframe, which is less than 5 minutes, without too much fatigue. Now I'll start the old progression I originally used to start doing the 1-arm swings with the 2 pood (70#) bell with sets as follows:

- 2x 2-arm swings

- 2x 1-arm swings on R

- 2x 2-arm swings

- 2x 1-arm swings on L

- 2x 2-arm swings

x10 sets

From here, I'll start doing increasingly more 1-arm swings and less 2-arm swings w/ each workout until I'm completing the swings the same way I do now with the 53#.

Weighted pull-ups: 53# KB x 4, 3, 2, 1, 1

I finally figured out a way to rig this up, so I knocked these out and plan on continuing to use this weight. I followed my last set with a set of chin-ups to see how they compared, and I got 4 again.

Dec 6:

TGU: 70#x10 (5 each side) in 7:55

KB Press: 70#x 3 each side My arms were a lot weaker after the TGUs than I expected.

KB Push press: 70# x3x3 each side

KB Swings: 70# x 2/2L/2/2R/2/2L/2/2R/2 (Total:14)

x 2/2L/2/2R/2 (Total:10)

I really only planned on doing a 'tester' set of these, not a full workout, but I felt really good. Once I can do 100 with this pattern in under 5 minutes, I'll move onto something like 2/2R/2L/2R/2L/2 with a 6:4 1-arm to 2-arm ratio until I'm back to doing the whole workout with 1-arm swings.

Dec 7:

Warmup

MMS: 2 OC x 2 sets

5 OC x 2 sets

2.5 x 2 attempts I went for true MMS attempts as I said I would. I set it to parallel and paused briefly. Very close.

5 OC x 2 sets

2.5 x 2 attempts

Dec 8:

I was really sick last night and into today with some URI and possibly LRI s/s during my on-call night at the hospital, so I was pretty sure I would not be able to do anything today, but after a few hours of sleep this morning I felt much better.

Weighted pullups: 53#x 4, 3, 2, 2, 1

​Weighted chinups: 53#x 1, 2, 3, 4

L-sit pullups: 11 Just wanted to see how much I had left at bw after the above sets.

KB Press: 53# x 3 sets of 10 each side

Dec 9:

Simple and Sinister:

KB swings: 70# using 2/2L/2/2R/2 method. 100 swings in 4:50.

Turkish Getups: 10 x 70#

Total time: 15:00

This workout really destroyed me. I wasn't really trying to complete it under 15. My only goal was getting the swings done in under 5. I took my precious time on the getups, and when I looked up at the end of my last one I saw 15 flat, so I was stoked.

Dec 10:

Warmup

20mm: 2 x1

5 x3/2

x3/2

2 x5/2

x5/2

x8/4b

Well this gripper workout really sucked. I think the KB work from the day prior drained my grip a bit.

Dec 12:

Weighted pull-ups: 53# x 4, 3, 3, 2, 1

Weighted chin-ups: 53# x 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

L-sit pull-ups: 11

Dec 13:

So I didn't even expect to be able to get in a gripper workout today because I was supposed to be in the children's hospital for a 24-hr shift, but it was really dead at the hospital, so the senior resident mercifully sent me home early. So what did I do? I did a gripper workout.

Warmup

MMS: 2 x2 sets of OC

5 x2 sets of OC

2.5 x2 MMS attempts By this time, I was feeling pretty weak, and I thought the workout would be a wash.

5 x 5/3, 4/2, OC These 5 closes started to feel pretty strong, so I back up for the 2.5 attempts.

2.5 x close/attempt, 3 MMS attempts

I just did a deep set close because I started to feel a bit stronger. Then my MMS attempts got really close. The closest MMS attempt I had is below. The other ones were pretty similar. I think that I just didn't warm up enough initially.

Edited by DoctorOfCrush

Dec 14:

Simple and Sinister: 11:07

I was going to to do the sets as 1-arm swings 5L/5R, but I ended up just doing the legit 10L/10R, and I got done with the swings in 4:28. I was pleasantly surprised. At that point I knew I was going for the 'simple' goal which is 100 1-arm swings and 10 getups with the 32kg bell in under 15:00, and I was really surprised at how quickly I got it done. For reference, the 'sinister' goal is to do it all with the 48kg bell. One day. . .

Dec 15:

Weighted pull-ups: 4, 4, 3, 2, 1 This got me a bit worried about being able to do 5 next time. We'll see how that goes.

Weighted chin-ups: 1, 2, 3, 4, 4 I technically got my chin above the bar for the 5th rep on the last set, but I struggled a lot.

L-sit pullups: 10 I think I could've gotten 11 again, but my dog thought it was a game and started jumping on my extended legs.

Dec 16:

Warmup

20mm: 2 x 5/4

5 x 3/2

5/2 This was a rep PR on the R.

2 x 5/2

9/4 I still can't quite get to 10.

5x 1

I wanted to see how long I could just hold it completely shut with the 5. I got about 9 seconds on the R, but my L was pretty shot, and it popped open a couple of mm right away.

Dec 17:

KB Press: 53# x 2 sets of 3

KB Bottom-up Clean: 53# x 2 sets of 3

KB Bottom-up Press: 53# x 1/attempt ; 1/1 ; attempt/attempt This is the first time I have ever gotten it on the L.

KB Press: 70# x 5 sets of 3

I wanted to just keep it simple and not too taxing with some press today because I'm doing a lot of studying for my pediatric final tomorrow. I'll be headed out for a weekend in the mountains with my wife's family afterwards, and we're doing our gift exchange then. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a GHP 6 and possibly even a CoC 3, so I'm pretty stoked about that. If I'm really lucky, her dad got a few I chose from the pre-rated Cannon sale, which were 134 and 150. I'll have to at least break in the 6 on Saturday to see where I stand.

So I got both the unrated GHP6 and the 150# CoC3 last night (plus the sweet grip skull t-shirt from Cannon), and I was super stoked to get gripping today.

Dec. 19:

Warmup:

MMS: 2 x 3/2; OC

5 x 2/1; OC

2.5 x 1/attempt

6 x attempt/attempt I was SO close on this one. I may have been about half a millimeter away, but I still don't think I got it.

3 (150#) x attempt/attempt

I was WAY closer than I expected to be. I was really expecting this to feel like a brick. This one got me thinking that I my unrated 2.5 might be pretty stout. I may get it rated soon now that I can use the 6 as my short term goal gripper. I really want to get all of mine rated, but I REALLY don't want to not be able to work out. . .

Thanks to Cannon for the awesome grippers and sweet shirt!

• Like 1

Dec 21:

My wife wanted to go workout at the apt gym, so I went and just did a little random workout.

Dumbbell Bench Press: 50# x 10/each side x3

Ab Wheel: 3 x 12 reps

Pushups: 3x15 reps

Hammer Curls: 35# x5; 40# x5x2; 45# x5

Dec 22:

Today was an awesome gripping day.

Warmup

MMS: 2 x 3/3

5 x 2/1; OC

6 x CLOSE/attempt First ever close from a deep set.

3(150#) x attempt/ 6 attempt A little bit closer than my first attempt on Saturday.

20mm: 5 x 3/2b; 3/2b I just can't seem to get the last mm on those second reps.

2 x 10x5 I finally got 10! Almost got 11 actually.

Negatives: 3(150#) x 1, 1, 1 Each of these was b/n 17-21 seconds.

Thumb Clamps: 3x15 reps I wrapped the EYHB around the clamp to make them harder.

Edited by DoctorOfCrush