Developing The Crushing And Healing Hand

DoctorOfCrush

Week 1, Day 3: (Friday)
R: GHP4 x 14, 16, 16, 13, 16, 12+3     Pinkie slipped off mid-set on the last one so I reset. 
L: CoC2 x 21, 18, 16, 18, 15, 17

Same as Monday. All reps with a 1" side of GHP block passed b/n handles. Next week will be CoC2 on R and GHP4 on L all with the GHP block again. 

I've also been doing KB workouts, and I may start posting those here as well. 

Week 2, Day 1: (Monday)
R: CoC2 x 7, 5, 5, 5, 5, 4
L: GHP4 x 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7

Again, all reps performed with GHP block pass. 

In b/n sets:
EHYB: 10x yellow, 10x yellow, 10x blue, 12x blue, 15x blue, 12x red
Dynamic pinch: 3x6/side
Floor press: 53# x 8, 10, 10 /side

Kettlebell work:
Death by 2-handed swings: 24kg x 15 minutes + 1 set of 20     
EMOM TGU: 32kg x 12     Wanted to do 20 but stopped on these because of some wrist weirdness. Not really pain or weakness. Changed my grip a hair to one that is more structurally sound and mechanically better for my elbow, and my wrists are getting used to it. 

• Like 1

Week 2, Day 2: (Wednesday)
R: GHP4 x 7, 5, 5, 5, 5, 4
L: CoC1 x 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 7

All reps were swipe-pause-crush. Kind of like a dynamic day.

In b/n sets:
EYHB: y x15, b x15, r x4 sets of 10

Sledge: All 10 seconds
Front iso lever: 22cm, 29.5, 29.5, 29.5
Back iso lever: 22cm, 29.5, 37, 37

Dynamic pinch: 6x8/side

Some random stuff I did today:
Bro workout: bi's and tri's     I have found that having less serious stuff like this added into the week helps keep me going a bit better. 

This next workout is supposed to be a KB workout, but I just used a 35# dumbbell instead.
10 swings/side
10 high pulls/side
10 snatches/side
10 alternating swings
10 cleans/side
10 clean and presses/side
Time: 4:08

Core workout:
10 25# pullovers
10 leg lifts
20 Russian twists w/ 25#
10 L-ups
10 half TGU w/ 25#
10 focus crunches
10 bicycles 
1 min plank
Time: 5:45

Week 2, Day 3: (Friday)
R: CoC2 x 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5
L: GHP4 x 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, 9

Same old 1" block passes. Had a little left in the tank on my L, so I kept pushing. 

EMOM TGU: 20 w/ 32kg kettlebell

~Cardio: (Saturday, 4/1)
10 swings/side
10 high pulls/side
10 snatches/side
10 alt. swings
10 cleans/side
10 clean & press/side
35#, 4:08 (same as last time)

10 lunge thrusters/side
5 sling shots
10 OH lunges/side
5 sling shots
5 lunge-throughs/side
5 sling shots
20 tactical lunges
35#, 4:28

4/2/17
'Bro' workout: bis and tris

4/3/17
Week 3, Day 1:
R: GHP5 x 4, 4, 4, 4, 3, 4, 3, 4
L: CoC2 x 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 3, 3, 2

EYHB: yx20, bx20, rx10, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12

4/4/17
Death by 24kg KB swings: 16 min; 136 swings total: 72 1-arm, 64 2-arm

I alternated 2-handed swings on odd minutes and 1-handed swings on even minutes. 

4/5/17
Week 3, Day 2:
R: Coc2 x 8 sets of 4
L: GHP4 x 8 sets of 3

Sledge 10 sec iso levers:
Ant: 29.5 cm, 29.5, 29.5, 29.5

EYHB: yx20, bx20, r x15, 15, 15, 15

Dynamic pinch: 4 sets of 8

4/7/17
Week 3, Day 3:
R: GHP5 x 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 3, 3
L: Coc2 x 3, 2, 2; GHP4 x 6, 7, 6, 6, 7

I just didn't have the top-end strength with my left today so I dropped down and got some reps in on the GHP4. This was one of those in-between days where you know that you are probably getting stronger, but it just doesn't feel like it. 

Core:
10 25# pullovers
10 candlesticks
20 Russian twists w/ 25#
10 V-ups
10 partial TGUs/side w/ 25#
10 dumbbell crunches w/ 25#
10 crunches
20 bicycles
1 min plank
Time: 6 min

4/8/17:
'Bro' workout: bis and tris

10 swings/side
10 high-pulls/side
10 snatches/side
10 alternating swings
10 cleans/side
10 clean & press/side
35#, 3:33

Something to get the blood pumping. I shaved off a lot of time by not returning the weight to my shoulder after each press. I just treated it like a snatch instead. 

4/10/17
Week 3, Day 1:
R: T-rex @115 x 3, 3, 2, 3, 3
L: LTCoC2f x 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2

Wasn't feeling terribly strong this day. The GHP block sweeps get exponentially more difficult with the higher % of my 1rm. 

4/11/17
Death by 24kg KB swings: 20 min; 210 swings total: 110 1-arm; 100 2-arm

Same as last week: 2-arm on odd, 1-arm on even. This workout actually felt really great. 

4/12/17
Week 3, Day 2:
R: GHP5 6 sets of 5
L: CoC2 6 sets of 3

These were all MMS. 

Sledge iso levers:
Ant: 29.5cm x 15 secs x 5 sets

EYHB and dynamic pinch in b/n sets

At the end of the next mini-cycle (5 weeks from now) I think that I will do a 2-4 wk mini-cycle of 1-2 sessions per week consisting of heavy singles. 

4/14/17
Week 3, Day 3:
R: T-rex 115 x 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2
L: LTCoC2f x 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2

90 pushups total in b/n sets

Deload Week, Day 1:
R: GHP5 x 5 singles w/ GHP block
L: LTCoC2f x 5 singles w/ GHP block

Simple and sinister (100 1-arm swings, 10 TGU)
70# KB, 14:30

Deload Week, Day 2:
R: GHP5 x 5 singles w/ GHP block
L: LTCoC2f x 5 singles w/ GHP block

Simple & Sinister
70# KB, 13:45

Shortened the rest in the TGU portion a little bit. 

Simple and Sinister:
70# KB, 11:48

Minimal rest b/n TGU. Tough. 

Deload Week, Day 3:
R: GHP5 x 5 singles
L: LTCoC2f x 5 singles

Simple and Sinister:
53# KB, 7:06

I wanted to go light and fast focusing on explosive hip extension for these.  I changed up how I do it from how I do with the 70#. 
Typical layout: [10 swings left/10 swings right/rest until top of the minute] x 5 times; 10 alternating TGU at the top of the minute
Light and fast version: [25 swings left/25 swings right/rest until top of the minute] x 2 times; 2 TGU right, 2 TGU left, 3 TGU right, 3 TGU left

My forearms started to burn a bit during the extended swing sets, but it was nice to change it up a bit. 

Week 6, Day 1:
R: GHP5 x 4, 4, 5, 5, 4, 4
L: LTCoC2 x 4, 4, 4, 3, 4, 3

Simple and Sinister:
53# KB, 7:01

Didn't stop on the swings. Just switched hands ever 10 reps. I followed with 2 sets of 3 and 2 sets of 2 of TGUs. I'll do the 70 tomorrow to see how it feels. 

• 3 weeks later...

Been a little while since I last posted, but I have still been working out.  I've just been too busy to hop on here.  

Last Friday, May 5, I finally graduated from medical school and got those 2 really expensive letters to tack on to the end of my name! MD!

In the midst of all the commotion around that, my wife and I also moved to Nashville, so we've have been getting everything put together on that front as well. 

During all of this I've been doing grip and my other workouts, but I'll just post today that I re-tested my 1RM for MMS today and hit my 139# BBSM twice really solidly with my R and my T-Rex set to 115 with my L.  I may have hit 144 with my R, but I was in the garage and the sun washed out the video.  It was SUPER close.  I also almost got 120 on my T-Rex with my L but lacked ~1-2mm. 

Next week will be a de-load week for grip, and after that I'll go through a cycle where I do heavy (not max) MMS singles twice a week. I'm excited to see how that goes. 

Threw together some kettlebell work today. 

KB Front Squat - 24kg x5/side x5 sets
Press Complex - 24kg x [2 presses/1 push press/2 jerks] /side x 5 sets
Turkish Getups - 32kg x EMOM x 10 minutes

Total time: 32 minutes 

5-16-17:
MMS:
     R: up to 144! I hit my blue 144 cpw RB300N today. Felt really great. Missed my BBGM(147) my 1-2mm. 

BBSM(139) x 3 singles
        Coc2 x 5 for speed/cool down 

L: up to T-rex@120. 
         T-rex@115 x 3 singles
         GHP4 x 5 for speed/cool down

Simple and Sinister: 70# KB     Phew, wore me out. I think it was worse because my grip was pre-fatigued. 

Total time was ~90 minutes

5-17-17:
'Bro' workout- Just some old school bi's and tri's to break up the week of more functional KB/grip/cardiovascular work. 
Upper body stretching - Focused on forearm/wrist, bicep, and shoulder flexion
Core routine- All done w/o rest
     Weight pullover - 25# x10
     Buttlifts x 10
     Russian twists - 25# x20
     Jack knifes x10
     Partial TGUs - 25# x10/side
     Weighted crunch - 25# x10
     Crunch - 10
     Bicycles - 20
     1 minute plank

5-18-17:
Leg workout - 

Lunges: 2 sets x10 x 50#/hand
     Death March: 2 sets x 10 x 50#/hand
     OHS: 2 sets x 5 x 50# dumbbell          These just take some getting used when using a dumbbell rather than a barbell. I'll be doing a lot more reps soon. 

Step Ups: 2 sets x 8 x 25#/hand
     2-handed Windmills: 2 sets x 5/side x 50#/hand          This has got to be one of the best exercises ever. 

Squats: 2 sets x 20 x BW          I did these ATG with my feet together to maximize the strain on mobility. 

Lunge twists: 2 sets x 10 x 25#
     Single Leg Deadlift: 2 sets x 8/side x 30#/hand          These ask a lot of my balance, which I would like to improve. 

Alt. Side Pistols: 2 sets x 12          These are great for working on my adductor mobility.  I'll be upping the reps a lot as I get used to them. 

5-19-17:
Upper Body Workout #2 - All exercises were done once through and then repeated. All focus is on quality of reps and not going to complete failure. 
     Standard Pushups: 15, 12
     Pullups: 8, 8
     Military Pushups: 12, 8
     Chinups: 8, 5

2-speed Pushups: 7, 7
     Close-Grip Pullups: 5, 5
     Decline Pushups: 10, 8
     Renegade Rows: 53# x8/side, 70# x5/side

Diamond Pushups: 8, 6
     Lawnmower: 70# x5/side, 70# x8/side
     Hindu Pushups: 5, 6
     Back Flies: 25# x12, 25# x12

Time: 20 min/round

• 5 years later...

Ok, so it has been a VERY long time since I have consistently posted on here. Around 5-6 years actually.  I have recently gotten back into grip a bit and have a few different grip-related goals, and I have been meaning to hop back on here and revive the old training log.

Instead of making one gigantic post, I plan on making a few separate posts as updates of the various parts of my life nowadays.

Going forward, I probably cannot commit to posting daily or after every workout, but I may do something like weekly updates to the log.  I use a workout logging app (‘Strong’), so posting later shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

I’m writing all this not so much because I think anyone will actually remember me or give a crap but because I would like to make a point to document all of this somewhere for myself. Brace yourself: these are some long posts.

• Like 1

Life/Career Update

A lot has changed on this front. I essentially stopped posting right when I started pathology residency (July 2017). Since then from a career standpoint, I completed my pathology residency in 2021 after four years and became board-certified in anatomic pathology and clinical pathology.  In 2021/2022, I completed a surgical pathology fellowship, and now I am a hematopathology fellow until June 2023. On 7/1/23, I will begin my job at Vanderbilt as an attending pathologist in the hematopathology division.

Outside of work, my wife and I now have two daughters, 5 years and 18 months old. They are essentially my world, and it has been a blast raising them so far! We have moved a few times around Nashville, and we plan on building a house around the spring/summer of next year, which is super exciting.

Between work and kids, it’s not been the easiest to train with regularity. I go through cycles, and I’ve had a few particularly bad stretches. Those were when I was studying for boards and my surgical pathology fellowship. Both included pretty sporadic training, which usually just meant working with some kettlebells. Now that I am in my hematopathology fellowship, my schedule is a bit more regular, and I am able to train with more regularity.

Here is my new typical schedule during the week:

4:30 - Wake up

4:45 - RRBT then breakfast and get ready for work

6-6:15 - Get to work

17-18:00 - Leave work

18:45-20:30 - Dinner, play with girls, get the girls to bed

20:30-21:30 - Work out if I’m going to that night; this is tough most nights

22:00 - Go to sleep

General Fitness Update

Over the past few years, I have gone through periods of focusing on various things. For a long time in my first and second years of residency, all I had outside of grippers was a few kettlebells and some rings, so much of the focus was on those.  I got pretty strong with kettlebells and was doing one-arm swings and Turkish getups with a 106 pound kettlebell with as many as 200 swings and 10 TGUs in one session. I also had a period where I was waking up super early and knocking out weighted pull-ups and ring dips before work and doing a second workout after work.  I’ve tried a few times to get back to that, but I haven’t been able to re-capture that lightning. I was also my leanest during this time.  I was training sometimes twice a day and doing mostly strict keto, so I got down to about 165, but that ultimately has not proven sustainable. My main kettlebell focus over recent years has been training double kettlebell presses on and off.

While I was strong in some aspects, I was not training my legs at all. I have since gone through phases of direct leg training, but I have always been super weak.  Even back when I was focused on olympic weightlifting (~2012-2014), I never even back squatted 300 lbs. I think my best back then was 291 (132kg) (I think my best C&J was ~230-240, and my best snatch was 193). I have rekindled my desire to one day back squat 300. It seems kind of silly/pitiful to me that I have never done it.

As for what I am actually training now (outside of grip, which I will address separately), it is mostly focused on pressing and squatting twice a week. My ultimate goals are to get to squatting 300 and pressing with a 40kg kettlebell in each hand.

For squat, I am following the Greyskull lifting program (GSLP). Basically, every time you squat, you do 2 sets of 5 at the weight you are supposed to then you do a maximum rep set. As long as you can complete at least 3 sets of 5 at the planned weight, you add 2.5 kg for the next session and repeat. When you cannot complete 3x5 at the weight you are supposed to, you drop the weight 10% and restart the progression. That’s your deload. Since beginning working out again in December, I have gone from 60kg (probably a little bit of a sandbag) to 107.5kg. I failed to get my five reps at 107.5kg, so I’ll be dropping down to 95kg and beginning the progression again. I recently started following up the back squats with 5x5 front squats (60kg for the time being; I may start mirroring the 2.5kg jumps I do in back squat).

For press, I am following what was detailed in ‘Enter the Kettlebell’ by Pavel Tsatsouline. You start at a weight that you can perform three ‘ladders’ to 3 with. Like this:

1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3

The next week, you add 1 more ladder to 3. The week after, you do 5 ladders to 3. At this point, you start adding a set of 4 each week to the end of each ladder. After building up to 5 ladders to 4, you beginning adding a 5 rep set to each ladder in the same fashion. When you are finally at 5 ladders to 5, to up the weight and start back at 3 ladders to 3. My best every (~2018-19) was doing at least a few ladders to 5 with 34kg (75#) in each hand. When I started back in December, I began with 3 ladders of 3 with 24kg. I was able to advance and skip few weeks here and there to the point that I am now up to 34kg for 4 ladders to 3. The second pressing day is lighter day where you complete whatever you did on your main pressing day at the same weight minus 2 ladder ‘rungs.’ For example, when you do 3 ladders to 3 on your heavy day, you do 3 singles on your light day. When you do 5 ladders to 5 on your heavy day, you do 5 ladders to 3 on your light day.

The last stuff I’m doing outside of grip is just some accessory stuff for forearms, arms, chest, and calves.

When I am able to train as much as I would like, my week looks like this (for now):

Sunday: Grip, Chest

Monday: Squatting, Light pressing day

Tuesday: Off

Wednesday: Accessory forearms, arms, calves

Thursday: Off

Friday: Squatting

Saturday: Heavy pressing