Developing The Crushing And Healing Hand

DoctorOfCrush

13 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

by RGT do you mean Rolling Grip Thing? 

Yeah, that thing is tough! It’s such a frustrating damn thing. One weight can feel pretty good, then the next 2.5 kg jump is absolutely cemented to the floor. Real sword in the stone. From what I’ve read/seen it’s a lot harder than Rolling Thunder, so I hope that one day I can hit the Crushed to Dust 90 on the RGT which would then actually be easy on the RT. 
I think I’ll have to adjust expectations big time. The smallest plate jumps I have are 1.25 kg, but I may have to invest in fractionals someday. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Microgainz plates are about $60+or- on Amazon and have been a great investment.

If you like shiny, calibrated things...Elieko Change Plates are currently discounted.  .25KG regularly $9.00 each, now $5.40.  😇

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Yeah, that thing is tough! It’s such a frustrating damn thing. One weight can feel pretty good, then the next 2.5 kg jump is absolutely cemented to the floor. Real sword in the stone. From what I’ve read/seen it’s a lot harder than Rolling Thunder, so I hope that one day I can hit the Crushed to Dust 90 on the RGT which would then actually be easy on the RT. 
I think I’ll have to adjust expectations big time. The smallest plate jumps I have are 1.25 kg, but I may have to invest in fractionals someday. 

Good luck. You will get there. Just be consistent and don’t get down on your self when you’re lifting a few lbs less than the week before. Which is easier said than done.

44 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Which is easier said than done.

Bingo! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Douglas Carney said:

If you like shiny, calibrated things...Elieko Change Plates are currently discounted.  .25KG regularly $9.00 each, now $5.40.  😇

My wallet is cursing you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

My wallet is cursing you. 

200.gifMe and my grip hobby

• Haha 6

32 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

200.gifMe and my grip hobby

ME TOO!!!  LOL

Workout 5/17/23:

Squat: 90kg x8x4

Deadlift (double overhand): 120kg x8x2

No two ways about it: this workout sucked. Straight up cardio. Sets of 8 are just so much time under tension that my heart was pounding after the set, especially from the third squat set onward. After the second set of 8 on deadlift, my heart rate hit 180. Glad it’s over. 

• Like 5

Updates from this weekend:

Workout 5/19/23:

Grippers

Right:
     MMS Singles: T-rex @140 x 4 singles
     MMS Doubles: GHP6 (126) x 3 doubles
     MMS Triples: COC 2.5 (121) x 3 triples

Left:
     MMS Singles: GHP6 (126) x 4 singles
     MMS Doubles: GG4 (115) x 3 doubles
     MMS Triples: GHP5 (109) x 3 triples

I was feeling pretty good, so I took some attempts at the GHP7 (143) and was about 1mm off. I'll probably keep my right hand where it is for the next workout because some of the reps might have been a hair short (fractions of a mm). It was really hard to tell on the videos. As the for the left, I'm expecting a COC 2.5 (128) from CPW, so I'll try that one out in the next workout. 

Workout 5/20/23:

This day was rough. Between getting paged awake early, not eating until noon, and working on refurbishing some of my weight plates (lots of sanding and angle grinding), I was not feeling my best once my time to workout rolled around. Plus I haven't been able to press in three weeks due to a whole host of reasons. It didn't go so great, but I'll get back after it next week. 

Double KB Press: 34kg/hand x 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3

Workouts 5/21/23:

AM:
A. Seated RGT Cable Row: 42.5kg x6*/hand; 37.5kg x 6, 6, 6; 33.75kg x 6, 6, 6
B. Flask Pinch Curl: 5kg x5 sets of 12/hand

*I had to cheat the last rep on each side, so I actually used 41.25kg as my 6RM for the day for calculation purposes. 

PM:
Back Squat: 100kg x10; 102.5kg x 5 sets of 3, each with only 1 minute rest between
Snatch Grip Deadlift: 90kg x8, 8; 100kg x8

The squats were tough. The second set of three made me feel like I might not make it, but after that they felt better. For the snatch grip deadlift, I kept my oly shoes on, but I did use straps because my hands were a little fried from the morning session. 

• Like 3

Workout 5/24/23:

Grippers:
Right: Tetting GM choked (150) @13mm x 3, 3, 3

Left: RB adjustable, choked @ 19mm, heavy spring 4-4 x 6, 5, 5

Pinch:
2-hand Flask: 65kg x3; 62.5kg x6; 56.25 x 6, 6, 6; 52.5kg x6, 6, 11

So it has become obvious to me that my hands cannot fully recover by Tuesday from the rolling handle volume on Sunday. I worked up in MMS grippers as a warmup for my choker work, and I could not hit 121 on my left and barely got 128 on my right before moving on to the choked grippers. As such, these choked sets are not peak performance and may just be me going through the motions. I think I will finally move to just 1x/week grippers and see how that goes. I've never done it because I thought I would need to get into heavier grippers before it was necessary, but I think it might be time, especially if I want to keep on a training a well-rounded grip. I really wanted to incorporate choked work this go-around, but I just don't think it's doing much for me when I'm not recovered, and I don't want to use up precious time in the gym when I could be focusing on other movements. 

For pinch, I tried out 65x6, but the 5 kg jump from last week was too much. I dropped down to 62.5, which was still 2.5 more than last week. I turned the last set into an AMRAP for S&G. 

Given the realization about grippers, Tuesday night's focus will be 2-hand Flask as well as wrist extensions. I may superset dips in-between my Flask sets as well. 

• Like 4

Workout 5/24/23:

Squat: 102.5kg x10; 97.5kg x 10 sets of 3 with 1 minute rest between sets

Phew, this was pretty tough. You start the workout with a set of at least 8 but no more than 10 with the prescribed weight. Hitting 10 was a new 10 rep max for me. Then you drop the weight 5 kg and do the rest of the work above. Those quick turnaround sets weren’t fun, but I was glad my form didn’t breakdown and I got some good work in. 

I was also supposed to do 3 sets of 8 on deadlift variation, but to be honest, I had built up the squat part of the workout in my head all day, and once I was done with that and it was already 21:15, I was mentally checked out. I went inside to help with bedtime, and here I am. I’ll make it up some other time, but I’m still proud of the work I put in tonight. 

• Like 5

Workout 5/26/23:

Grippers

Right:
       MMS Singles: GHP7 (143) x 4 attempts
       MMS Doubles: Coc 2.5 (128) x 3 double attempts
       MMS Triples: GG4 (115) x 3 triples

Left:
       MMS Singles: Coc 2.5 (128)x 4 attempts
       MMS Doubles: Coc 2.5 (121) x 3 double attempts 
       MMS Triples: GHP5 (112) x 3 triple attempts
       Negatives: BBSM (139) x 2 negatives

This night was full of 'training makes' ha. I know that I got at least one good close on the 143 and 128 (PR) on the right and left, respectively. The other sets, I must've been applying about 142.5 and 127.5 pounds of force because there was hardly any daylight. A number of the multiple rep sets included forced closes on the last ~mm of the last rep, but I still felt like I was getting good work in, so I didn't gripper down. I'll keep all the grippers where they are for next week. The plan was do negatives with both hands to close things out, but I had nothing left with my right by the time I got to the end of this. 

• Like 2

Here we go:

IMG_3323.thumb.jpeg.ebb93e2ae2e0b6a60d3d090fa3f5e9d8.jpeg

• Like 3

Workout 5/27/23:

Double KB Press: 36kg/hand [1, 2, 3] x3  (9 working sets)

Behind-the-neck Press: 40kg x 10, 9/1, 6/4 (press/push press)

Finally got my second 36kg bell this AM (shipping issues), so I figured that was sign to go ahead and move up in bells, and it went great.  Feels good to take a step up in resistance. One step closer to pressing the Beasts (48kg). 

• Like 5

Workout 5/28/23:

Squats: 110kg x 3 sets of 6
Deadlift (double overhand): 150kg x 2 sets of 4

The prescribed squats were 3 sets of 4-6, and the 110x6 felt tough but comfortable. Probably could've eked out 7-8 if it was an AMRAP. The prescribed deadlifts were 2 sets of 3-6. I probably could've done 5 on the first set, but I don't yet feel all that comfortable pushing my deadlifts.

I was supposed to do my RGT rows and flask curls but two things kept me from doing so: (1) I was still pretty sore from the longer, intense gripper workout on Friday night, and (2) I am currently restoring/refinishing the majority of my weight plates, so the smaller plates were unavailable. That was just poor planning on my part. They should be done by tomorrow afternoon, so I'll do that work then.  

• Like 3

Workout 5/29/23:

Seated RGT Cable Rows: 45kgx5; 40kg x 3 sets of 5; 36.5kg x 3 sets of 5

Flask Curls: 7.5kg x 10, 12, 12

I got all 5 on the right at 45, but I had to cheat 2 on the left. Didn’t cheat any of the drop sets. I’ll probably still take a crack at 46.25 next week. I didn’t do a ton of curls because I have to do Flask work tomorrow, and I tore my thumb web last week, which still freaking hurts. Hopefully I can power through tomorrow with some strategic taping. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

... I tore my thumb web last week, which still freaking hurts. Hopefully I can power through tomorrow with some strategic taping. 

Hope your thumb heals quickly.

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

Hope your thumb heals quickly.

Thanks. It’s the first time it’s happened since I just now really got into pinch, and it’s such a small rip but hurts like a mother. 

• Sad 1

Workout 5/31/23:

Squat: 112.5kg x6

Deficit deadlift (double overhand): 90kg x8

Shorter workout tonight. It called for 1 set at 112.5 for 4-6 and one deadlift variation set for 8. I felt kind of meh going into it, so I was happy to get the 6. RPE felt similar to the sets of 110 on Sunday. 
This was my first time doing deficit deadlifts, so I didn’t push it too much. I did it with a 3.25” deficit and in oly shoes, so the ROM was massive. Super taxing variation, but I like the feel of them. 

• Like 3

Workout 6/2/23:

Grippers

Right:
       MMS Singles: GHP7 (143) x 1 make, 2attempts; CoC 3(146) x 1 attempt
       MMS Doubles: Coc 2.5 (128) x 1 double attempt; GHP6 (126) x 2 doubles
       MMS Triples: GG4 (115) x 3, 5, 8

Left:
       MMS Singles: Coc 2.5 (128)x 4 attempts
       MMS Doubles: GG4 (115) x 3 doubles 
       MMS Triples: GHP5 (109) x 3, 4; GHP5 (112) x 3

I had one make and two of the closest near makes you can have with the GHP7. Also super close with the CoC 3. Stills below. 

IMG_3367.thumb.png.e462fff92d261b6696c8642e3273c9ad.pngIMG_3366.thumb.png.90f06992d55d25a916f58d3216aa4732.pngIMG_3365.thumb.png.1f46ad69c0aaf8e2221ff399fa2d58d3.png

• Like 3

Awesome work!  Quick close on that GHP7...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Douglas Carney said:

Awesome work!  Quick close on that GHP7...

Thanks! I try to slam it shut, but then I’ll try to keep the opening slow and controlled per @dubyagrip’s suggestion. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DoctorOfCrush said:

Thanks! I try to slam it shut, but then I’ll try to keep the opening slow and controlled per @dubyagrip’s suggestion. 

Yep, it is the safest way to do negatives, with a gripper you can (mostly) control.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dubyagrip said:

Yep, it is the safest way to do negatives, with a gripper you can (mostly) control.

I need to incorporate this...  Thanks!

Yeah, I started doing that a few months ago after seeing how slowly Ivan Cuk always releases the gripper. Think it's much healthier and more beneficial to training than the instant-release method, providing the gripper isn't outrageously more than you can handle.