Larratt And Thor

Florian Kellersmann

That web site was screwy for me so here's an embed.

Doesn't seem that shocking really I mean I doubt Hafthór Björnsson does any training that focuses on arm wrestling, but if he did he would have likely crushed him

• Like 2

"he would have likely crushed him" is a bit of an overstatement. Devon Larratt was ranked #1 on the planet -- any weight -- for almost 5 years. Had Thor been training specifically for armwrestling for 21 years, like Devon has, I think it's fair to say he "may" have beaten him. Genetics plays a big role in armwrestling - Devon was born to armwrestle.

I was there when this video was filmed on Saturday, and Devon just wanted to feel Thor on the table. He knew Thor wasn't going to beat him. It was not a match. They started slowly and Devon was very careful to make sure Thor didn't get in a dangerous position. At one point you see Devon telling him to keep looking at his hand -- this is to minimize his tendency to turn away and possibly get hurt.

All this video proves is that Devon is stronger when it comes to armwrestling. Of course, the tables would have been turned in any strongman lifting event.

I think it was very cool to see Thor willing to grip up. When you're that big, people expect you to win at anything related to strength. This can create a lot of pressure to perform, which can prevent you from trying something out. So good on him!

And yes, you ARE allowed to use your weight in armwrestling, contrary to what most Youtube posters believe. However, your hand and arm need to be strong enough to allow you to get into the position to be able to use your weight.

• Like 13

Perfect technique! some of the time I can beat stronger guys than me due to being able to utilise various techniques such as the hook.

Hate it when people say "its not fair he is using his whole body"

• Like 2

This is very cool! Devon is simply a class of his own!

Perfect technique! some of the time I can beat stronger guys than me due to being able to utilise various techniques such as the hook.

Haha yes thats why it's called armwrestling. You're supposed to wrestle. The only difference in armwrestling is that the hands are the only contact allowed. Same goes for many other combat sports, there's different types of wrestling, different grips are allowed or not allowed. It would very strange if you weren't allowed to use your whole body in a wrestling contest, like your arm wasn't attached to your body and you had to use it separately :D

I think the rules are fair in professional armwrestling, you're not allowed to move your elbow, fair enough I think.

Edited by Fist of Fury

Haha yes thats why it's called armwrestling. You're supposed to wrestle. The only difference in armwrestling is that the hands are the only contact allowed. Same goes for many other combat sports, there's different types of wrestling, different grips are allowed or not allowed. It would very strange if you weren't allowed to use your whole body in a wrestling contest, like your arm wasn't attached to your body and you had to use it separately :D

I think the rules are fair in professional armwrestling, you're not allowed to move your elbow, fair enough I think.

On facebook there is a group called the Ladbible, not sure if you know about it but they recently put it up for everyone to see and most of the comments are about

him cheating. One of the comments was about how Thor is close to double devons bodyweight being at 404lbs or something. But that just makes it even more impressive!

Devon seems like a really nice guy.

On facebook there is a group called the Ladbible, not sure if you know about it but they recently put it up for everyone to see and most of the comments are about

him cheating. One of the comments was about how Thor is close to double devons bodyweight being at 404lbs or something. But that just makes it even more impressive!

Devon seems like a really nice guy.

Yes it's always the same story just look at the comments on YT for the classic Magnus Samuelsson clip from the strongman contest in the 90's when Nathan Jones breaks his arm. It's always people who are not in to armwrestling that come up with such comments.

This clip was actually cool since Larratt made his less experienced opponent aware of using a better technique.

from the vid it looks like Devon has stronger wrists and hand control. Those are crucial in AW and no matter how strong you are with other things unless you train those specifically you won't be able to challenge top guys like Devon.

yes it's annoying! And when they say things like it's not arm wrestling if you use your whole body. if your arm is not strong enough it will not follow the rest of your body!

• Like 1

Hit the nail on the head there Evan, regardless of how much of your body you use when you arm wrestle, you need strong arms to transfer the power to the table. Thor will have extremely strong and conditioned tendons in the wrist and elbow region so the fact devon pulled against that, won and also toyed with him.

• Like 1

a physician at my work saw me arm wrestle and told me it's not arm wrestling because I use my opposite hand on the table and my body weight. She wouldn't listen to me and since she considers herself strong I let her arm wrestle me with both of her hands pulling and me without holding. Her arms were shaking and she started laughing because she couldn't move my arm a millimeter. I'm not proud that a female couldn't move my arm with both hands, I'm just making a point that you can't argue with these people especially on places like you tube. The best way to help them understand is to actually arm wrestle them and show them that even if they use every muscle in their body it's still arm wrestling and you need strong arms as well as knowing what you are doing.

• Like 1

The good thing is, this video gets much attention and views, Devon gets attention and this is a positive thing for the sport.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It's not only about techniques. That comes later. Devon is very strong at armwrestling. I am sure his static arm strength is strong than the mountain (hope he returns back in season 6 Games of Thrones).

I remember a few years back in July 2006 a member under the name aftershock I guess made a topic on Brzenk VS Magnus. Many people claimed that Magnus will win. Remember these are people from the gripboard. No layman from youtube. So anyway we saw Devon pulled the professional football player using his two hands with ease. And he did easily beat the mountain. This is no issue of technique. It plays yes but mostly is AW strength involved here. AWer have incredibly strong hands and wrist too. There is an AW called Zinna who after competing CCS a CoC 3.5 which is ELITE level.

This "Technique vs Strength" thing is really not a correct way of viewing things. It's about getting strong WITH the technique you use. It's the same thing most sports, you get good at what you train for. Then of course you can have different tactics but that doesn't change the fact that you have to perform.

Reaction time is also important.