If You Had The Secret Weapon

EJ Livesey

I really like this idea as well, I think ill mess around with my grip machine that uses bands this weekend add a little catch to it.

• Like 1

I really like this idea as well, I think ill mess around with my grip machine that uses bands this weekend add a little catch to it.

Would you let me know how it goes?

Doesn't seem like you would need sophisticated devices to keep the handles from opening too much. Something called "the brain" ought to be enough...

Seriously?

Would you let me know how it goes?

Of course.

Why not just use a chain on the loading pin?

Set the length so the weight is only off the ground when the tool is almost closed. That way your hand is never opened 100% by the weight

I use this. If fir any reason I couldn't use my free hand to hold the handle when opening (which I doubt it) the weight will only fall around .5 to .75 inches. The chains are close.
  • Like 1

Another little tip I used in the setup. My wrist doesn't like the upright top handle, so I put two thin weightplates under the front side of the SW base. With a now declining tophandle, the whole setup felt much more comfortable for me and I also wasn't leaning as much forward anymore like I did before. Not much decline, but just a bit.

• Like 3

I think discussions on risk vs. benefit of specific training can be tricky, whether is frequency/duration or any other specific training parameter. I feel that if I rely on my personal experience I might be misleading to others. It's not like I can go back in time and change my training to see if I can get as strong /stronger with different methods. At the same time I don't really know for sure if something so specific like a few reps of negatives per week actually helped me improve and how much improvement. All I know is what I did in the past and where I am today.

I think that if you've had injury with negatives that means that you were loading your hand too much, not necessarily that negatives or certain equipment is bad for you. At this point in time I occasionally do negatives with grippers that I can MMS or close to that, and with a gripper machine that it's easy to help with my other hand anytime if needed. I prefer to do choker work with heavier grippers. I closed my 179lb coc 3.5 from 13 mm choked and attempted my 189lb Elite 17mm choked and did not feel that it was unsafe at all. These grippers are way above my MMS level (low 150s on a good day). But I wouldn't attempt to do negatives with those grippers not choked. I don't even have the strength to close these grippers with my off hand assisting even with ext handle and that's a lot more loading in that wider range than what my hand is used to.

• Like 2

I never got any carry over from the SW. It's too easy to cheat in my opinion. If you want to be really good at grippers, you should use grippers and that is very evident in my programs.

Doesn't seem like you would need sophisticated devices to keep the handles from opening too much. Something called "the brain" ought to be enough...

Seriously?

Yes, I was not joking. I received an email from Joe Kinney last night and he said something about "childproofing grip work"...

I guess that gives me one more "like"

Edited by Hubgeezer
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This post is NOT to ridicule, criticize or attack anyone, just a little food for thought!

Both grippers and Secret Weapon have linear resistance "curves", both offer 100% resisitance closed but the resistance changes differently while the hand opens.

With a gripper the resistance (torque) results from bending metal:

-you have 100% resistance to overcome in the closed position

-50% halfway closed

-0% in the open position.

For the Secret Weapon the torque results from force (gravity working on weights) multiplied with the lever (horizontal distance pivoting point to weightstack):

-you have 100% resistance to overcome when the grip lever is horizontal

-in the open position of a gripper the lever length of the SW will still be somewhere around 70% to 75% (I guess, have no gripper or SW at hand), so the resulting resistance will be 70% to 75%.

Hands only trained with grippers suddenly being used on fullrange SW-negs are asked to hold a little more than they can in the closed position but increasingly more in the opening process...

Hands conditioned by heavy pulling work (cleans, deadlifts, hanging on the fingertips while climbing, carrying heavy buckets at work,...) in a more open hand position compared to a closed gripper position should be less likely to get hurt when doing fullrange SW-negs. And "heavy pulling" means of course heavy relative to gripper (or SW) resistance used.

So, if you plan to use fullrange SW-negs you should base those on what you can lift in a fullrange-SW-close (and what your fingers are used to), not on the gripper you can close at the time.

As hubgeezer pointed out, there is nothing wrong with using your brain before you train. Had to learn this myself, would have helped me to injure myself less often...

So train safe and succesful :excl:;)

• Like 2