Can Handstrength Increase In One's "senior Years"?

climber511

Belated greetings. To answer the question - Odd Haugen lol. I'm 51 and got a world record the weekend before last so I sure hope so.

Thanks Steve. But Odd's not really human - he's some kind of mythical Norse entity that never ages :). Congrats on your new record also!

Congrats, how's it feel the day after?

Well - kind of beat up but not too bad. Lats are pretty darn sore - traps fairly sore - spinal erectors feel tired but not too sore - finger knuckles really throbbed last night (could feel my heartbeat in fingertips all night) but are pretty good now. I figured my thumbs would be the worst but they aren't even sore today - no skin tears or joint soreness (I thank Goat Tape for this). The lack of thumb soreness is a real surprise to me. My forearms have some very deep soreness but nothing terrible at all. All in all I'm pleasantly surprised.

• Like 4

Great and fitting birthday feat!

I'm not sure what, but I intend to do something nearly amazing on my 50th. Two years and a little over three months to go.

I'm not sure what, but I intend to do something nearly amazing on my 50th. Two years and a little over three months to go.

Thanks Eric! Looking forward to what you come up with for your 50th - I imagine it will be a) a little stupid & b) amazing as heck. I want something special for my 70th - no idea what yet but special.

• Like 1

Reading this the other day inspired me to go for 50 reps with 62 kg on the 2HP over the course of an hour. Light weight for you Chris I know, but for me it was just about what I could handle. Cut my left thumb on the 35th rep but I just grabbed it lower on the thumb and kept going for the 50 reps in total.

Keep doing what you do Chris!

• Like 2

Reading this the other day inspired me to go for 50 reps with 62 kg on the 2HP over the course of an hour. Light weight for you Chris I know, but for me it was just about what I could handle. Cut my left thumb on the 35th rep but I just grabbed it lower on the thumb and kept going for the 50 reps in total.

Way to go David! And please reread the part about using the "Goat Tape" for thumb protection - that stuff works!!!

• Like 1

Way to go David! And please reread the part about using the "Goat Tape" for thumb protection - that stuff works!!!

Good advice! I just didn't have any at the time so I had to settle with my own skin. BTW I did this last friday evening, and I still have severe DOMS in my thumb pads! Which is pretty much a first time ever for me. I usually just get a bit worn out the next dat with no real feeling as if the thumb muscles were really worked. Now I definitely feel that they've worked HARD!

Thanks Eric! Looking forward to what you come up with for your 50th - I imagine it will be a) a little stupid & b) amazing as heck. I want something special for my 70th - no idea what yet but special.
A) is a foregone conclusion. And trying to accomplish something that resembles B) is the reason A) is true.
  • Like 1

Congrats, how's it feel the day after?

Well - kind of beat up but not too bad. Lats are pretty darn sore - traps fairly sore - spinal erectors feel tired but not too sore - finger knuckles really throbbed last night (could feel my heartbeat in fingertips all night) but are pretty good now. I figured my thumbs would be the worst but they aren't even sore today - no skin tears or joint soreness (I thank Goat Tape for this). The lack of thumb soreness is a real surprise to me. My forearms have some very deep soreness but nothing terrible at all. All in all I'm pleasantly surprised.

An update on the after effects. My finger knuckles are still pretty darn achey and stiff. Thumbs are amazingly still good - skin is somewhat sore and a small blister has developed down towards the end on the left hand thumb (nothing major - just showed up the next day out of the blue) but joints etc are OK. My forearms are still sore - a deep down next to the bone soreness that is different than the usual - forearms feel weak. Lats and traps are recovered and feel normal again.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1