Can Handstrength Increase In One's "senior Years"?

climber511

In 2006 I “nearly” pinched bodyweight on the Euro Pinch at the National Grip Championship Event held at Sorinex. http://www.ironmind.com/news/Rice-Nearly-Pinches-Bodyweight/

Wednesday – August 19, 2015 – on my 67th birthday I will attempt to lift bodyweight on my Euro pinch 67 times throughout the day (we’ll see how long it takes). I do intend to “cheat” and tape my thumbs – as I am sure the skin will tear before I finish (if I do).

Hopefully this will answer the question of “does hand strength have to diminish in old age”? Can one actually get stronger hands in your “senior years”?

Well here’s my 67th birthday story. I know most people go to the show – get together with family – eat a big meal etc on their birthday – and all that happened over the weekend. I guess I’m a little weird and want something different. I usually set myself some kind of physical challenge to try on the day – this year it was to do 67 repetitions with my bodyweight on the David Horne Euro pinch that is used in grip strength competitions. I weighed in this morning at 190.6# - so I loaded the Euro to 191.2# - as close as I could get (wanted to be over, not under). I did the first rep at 9:50AM. The first 5 reps were hard as my hands were warming up. From there to 30 reps things felt really good – I started pushing the rest periods and missed rep 37 – 46 - and 47. At 50 I put up the crossbar that is used in competition as I was no longer able to fully dead lift each rep and wanted to be sure all reps were good ones. I was really starting to fall apart in the mid 50s and had to repeat several repetitions in the 60s. At 12:32 I finished up rep 67. My hands ache with a deep down kind of throbbing – but no skin issues at all.

I really need to give a plug to “Goat Tape” – this stuff is great. I have tried regular adhesive tape for pinch with not very good results. I have NO skin tears after 3 hours of Euro pinch – and that’s amazing!!! Tape does make the lifts a little harder than bare skin but for something like this – skin protection is critical. Challenge complete.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 19

Happy Birthday Chris!!

Very cool challenge and a huge congrats on completing it!!

Awesome to see that in ones older years the hands can still be very powerful!

Happy birthday, Chris and great pinching! I'm 57 so it's good to read of your exploits so I know that there may yet be some hope for me. :glare:

I remember when we thought 56-57 was pushing the limit on this stuff. That sounds young now, doesn't it Chris?

Congratulations on your challenge today, and congratulations on a Happy Birthday!

You are the leader of a dedicated few in discovering just what can be done at 55, 60, 65, and beyond.

With David Horne and Steve Gardener and Odin now in their 50s, it won't just be an outlier (or two or three or four) like you Richard, Slim, Dennis, and Atom.

• Like 1

Happy Birthday! Very cool challenge. BTW...love the Diesel Crew write up.

I remember when we thought 56-57 was pushing the limit on this stuff. That sounds young now, doesn't it Chris?

Congratulations on your challenge today, and congratulations on a Happy Birthday!

You are the leader of a dedicated few in discovering just what can be done at 55, 60, 65, and beyond.

With David Horne and Steve Gardener and Odin now in their 50s, it won't just be an outlier (or two or three or four) like you Richard, Slim, Dennis, and Atom.

Don't forget to include yourself in this group Mike - you still aiming for the M #3 cert?

Damn!!! Very nice Chris!!!

Very well done and happy birthday :rock

Happy Birthday Chris, and congratulations on an incredible feat of grip strength regardless of age!

Also, really enjoyed the Diesel Crew article as well, always a pleasure to read your stuff sir.

Super impressive. Happy b-day.

At 57 ,16 years after I first certified on the# 3 I re-certed again . I was able to close the #3 until about 62. I am weak now.

Time for the good old boys of 2003-2005 to test their mettle again.

• Like 6

At 57 ,16 years after I first certified on the# 3 I re-certed again . I was able to close the #3 until about 62. I am weak now.

Time for the good old boys of 2003-2005 to test their mettle again.

I remember seeing that video on YouTube but can't seem to find it anymore.

Belated greetings. To answer the question - Odd Haugen lol. I'm 51 and got a world record the weekend before last so I sure hope so.