Evan's Grip Strength And Bodyweight Training

Evan Raftopoulos

5 hours ago, David_wigren said:

The way I see it, the harder the competition is the faster you progress. I went pro after my first amateur contest where I ran through everyone just like you did. After that I entered the pro division and got steam rolled! Two quick losses and I was out, ended up dead last. But you know what? It just motivated me to train harder for the next contest where I won one match before I got out, ended up around the middle of the pack. My next contest is next month and I plan to win at least two matches before I'm eliminated. 

The funny thing with arm wrestling comps is that you decide when to do pro, you don't need to qualify for it or anything, even for the nationals as far as I know you just show up. I understand what you are saying and agree 100%. My first comp last month was pro actually, and it was my first time on the table as well :P. I pushed myself to do it because I knew it was the only way to make contacts and learn the sport. I wasted a year trying to find people to practice without success so that was me being fed up with that and wanting table time.  I'm very glad I did! Not only I made a lot of contacts and have a new great community of people around me but also have my own table home now and I can train home with pulley/wts and whoever comes to visit:P. At the first tournament I knew nothing about technique and I was giving them my hand pretty much to do whatever they wanted to. The ones who beat me they would extend my wrist fast and then we'd be stuck therefor a while, I didn't know how to recover. I came 5th both arms but after a month of working on technique with someone I met (he made me the table) I beat two guys from last time pro that showed up in the amateur class, felt easier than what I expected. Technical strength seems to be so important in aw. I think another way to measure yourself against a pro in you wt division is to train with an 'amateur' 1-2 wt classes heavier than yours. 

Good luck at your next one bro, you got this!

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

couple more of my vids training muscle ups and OAPs. The calisthenics page reposting is a friend I met at the sj expo that posts challenges and competitions if anyone is interested

my progress with weighted OAC. my goal is a full rep 35 and move towards 45 which I think is the world record, or close to that (it's unofficial, there is not official WR for this)

and my progress on the euro, not the best vid for showing the wt , I'll make a better one

Looking strong Evan!  Especially with no chalk!!!  The last lift right handed looked a little low but I'm sure the last left handed lift would have been high enough.  I'm expecting closer to 100lbs at King Kong when your using a seasoned euro and chalk!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jeff Parker said:

Looking strong Evan!  Especially with no chalk!!!  The last lift right handed looked a little low but I'm sure the last left handed lift would have been high enough.  I'm expecting closer to 100lbs at King Kong when your using a seasoned euro and chalk!

thanks Jeff! my euro is not seasoned at all and nowadays I prefer to train without chalk. In fact, I wash my hands really well with soap and dry them really well before the lifts. I feel sometimes this works better than trying to use chalk on a non seasoned surface. I don't know about closer 100lb bro, I'll be happy if I do a good lift in the high 70s. Last year I only got 64 with a seasoned euro so I must be getting stronger. I wanna use some of the very well seasoned euros like Jedd's and see how much I can do. It might make a difference it might not though who knows. 

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2016 at 3:04 AM, David_wigren said:

Dominant pinch lifting Evan!

thanks brother

some more one arm pullup training from the past few weeks

and some basic exercises to get to the oap

Great work Evan, some very cool vids - interested to see how you progress with the weighted OAC work. Also nice to see some advice for those of us still yet to achieve a single bodyweight rep!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22.08.2015 at 0:38 PM, Evan Raftopoulos said:

Пошел в спортзал вокруг 1000pm только с 3 часов сна ночью. Это был один из тех дней, которые я должен был подтолкнуть себя, чтобы попасть в спортзал, и я счастлив, что я сделал.

Я начал с J становой тяге с орлом петель. Ли в общей сложности 7 комплектов до 605 фунтов Первый раз я грузоподъемного что-то настолько тяжелый (почти х4 веса тела)

также сделал

-Таблица локоны до 90 фунтов гантелей х 8 л и R, локти в основном остались в положении блокировки, и я наклонился вперед и назад (бицепс ISOS)

- Пронация на кабельной машине с полотенцем (верхняя тренировка рулон)

- 10 мышц поднимает упором на взрывоопасность, они чувствовали себя очень легко

- На стоянке я работал немного с разработчиком запястья до уровня 12 оранжевый весной и некоторые захватами в основном моя от руки и попытки CCS с Кок 2.5 (получил очень близко).

I closed coc 2,5 tns

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/1/2016 at 1:12 AM, patrickmeniru said:

Great work Evan, some very cool vids - interested to see how you progress with the weighted OAC work. Also nice to see some advice for those of us still yet to achieve a single bodyweight rep!

thanks Patrick, If I remember right once I was able to do 2 consecutive oaps I started doing weighted ones. I started with 5lb. This is my best rom so far with 35 lb 

• Like 1

Great stuff, Evan! As always.... ;-)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...