Steel Bending E-Book

EJ Livesey

I'm trying to gauge wether or not writing an e-book would be worth my time. There would be a couple volumes. The first volume would be free or damn near close (depends on how many hours I put in and how much I have to pay to have it proof-read).

Vol 1

would have basic hand health, diet and sleep.

Steel progression, my take and philosophy on bending and where exactly to start.

History of the sport

Supplements/vitamins CNS support/rehab

Suggested training routines (beginner, moderate, advanced and push until it breaks)

Vol 2

Technique of DO with tips and tricks

Technique of reverse (with help of Ivan B) with suggest rehab and warm-ups

*thats pretty much all I have for vol 2 but this will cost something since it will have many many hours of research put into it. More on vol 2 as I brainstorm more. But this is just something I've been thinking about.

I also plan of having an English and Russian version.

• Like 8

Put some DU and barehand in vol 2 as you definitely qualify in giving advice in both of those brother.

This is a great idea, this will be very popular.

EJ, I think you'd have a ton of people interested in getting this!

• Like 1

I'd like to stay away from barehanded stuff for now. It takes a certain type of person to bend that way, and I'm not him. I don't feel I have enough experience to give any info out on that subject. I may have to brush up on traditional DU and see what I come up with.

• Like 1

Or even any training ideas you have about bending in one imps as you've done a red and a shiny. Just throwing ideas at you as I think this will be great !

Ill buy it.

Thank you.

But my goal is to give to the community what I know. I do not want to make money off my hobby or passion, I do not want to make money from this. I want to share what I've learned with everyone. This is what makes the sport grow and what makes guys wanna bend. Not everyone has the money to blow on ebooks or DVDs. If I charge anything it will be to break even or there abouts. And if there is anythingeft over I will recycle it back to the community. By doing challenges and giving prizes like I have in the past.

• Like 5

Sold.

Plus you will be able to raise the price next year,

right after your Gold Nail Cert.

Sean

Negative ghost rider. I'm not looking to make money, looking to further the sport as much as I can.

Or even any training ideas you have about bending in one imps as you've done a red and a shiny. Just throwing ideas at you as I think this will be great !

I like where your head's at. I approve of this idea.

• Like 2

I will buy it and I will add, if there is anyway to make it a physical book all the better.

Just like Madonna, I am still living in a physical world...

Rich

• Like 1

I will buy it and I will add, if there is anyway to make it a physical book all the better.

Just like Madonna, I am still living in a physical world...

Rich

I'm not against this idea at all, in fact I perfer it as well. But that would add to the cost and my idea is free or close to it.

• Like 1

I would proofread it for free.

Thats very generous of you to donate your time and knowledge to others for the good of the sport without monetary gain. I'd definately appreciate reading it and if you ever considered printing a physical book I'd definately be willing to chip in up front to cover the cost. I too am like madonna. You're a class act ej.

• Like 3

I'm glad I have this much support.

I've already starting trying to get my thoughts in order. I have tons of notes I have to look through. This coming up weekend I'm going to try and get them typed up. The goal is to have 4-5 pages typed this weekend. I'm really hoping this is something that will just flow and not something that will take months to finish.

I would proofread it for free.

Yes, I will take you up in that. I also have ivan donating his time to translate into Russian. Only Ivan can really translate my gibberish and crazy thoughts Into Russian.

• Like 4

EJ,

I was thinking more about your book.

Besides an obviously great resource for training, I feel the idea of including "The History of the Sport" would be great.

I would love to hear about where and how the very old time benders got started [before the recent evolution via FBBC and Iron-Mind certs].

This is not to say that I am not interested in the more modern history of the certs. That too would be insightful, but when I think back to the days before HomeDepot and Lowes, I wonder what someone might have been doing in other decades.

On a side note:

In another thread on the Stanless Steel documentary, the topic of Bending a Penny came up. You said the older US Penny had more copper so it was easier to bend.

Let me know what years you are talking about, and i will have my three little boys keep an eye out for them in their piggy banks!

Yes I will get the penny info up. tommy Jennings would bend them in his teeth like butter. I have to find the info in my notes and consult with him.

I also had another idea maybe a quick Q&A with some of the past greats and some of the future greats. I'll pick their minds for the most helpful info. Trust me I'll ask the right questions.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

This sounds like a great idea I have read Jed Johnson's bending book ebook and it was very informative. Would like to know more about materials, grades of materials, dia, lengths. For progression so people outside of bending Hotspot can source material this the only thing i feel was missing from Jeds book.

Would definitely be keen for it tho.

Edited by tterbo
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Funny this got bumped again. A little over a year ago I actually had more than half the book finished and hit a wall. I couldn't figure out what was missing and how to transition from one topic to the next. Then I got caught up trying to get a new job and all the hoops they put me through. I have that job I worked hard to get, and the schedule is crazy and training is even crazier. My short weeks are 50 hours and long weeks are at least 60. So the book is still in the works, but it's slow going for so many reasons 

• Like 3

I suggest you "triple" the price!.................................................3x free is still free :)  I think this is something the community can really gain from.  Your experiences and knowledge are really extensive.  And while I've no intention of bending a penny - I'd love to read Tommy's approach to it.  And charging any kind of a minimal fee for version two won't have many even batting an eye for it.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

EJ, this is a brilliant idea and I would definitely like to buy a copy. I know you want it to be free of charge but you will be putting a hell of a lot of time and effort in so I don't think anyone would object to a small price/donation!! Maybe even use the money you make to facilitate making a physical book?

Anyways you have the support of the Irish bending community!

Edited by Baz59
Spelling/Grammer
  • Like 1

I think a lot of us benders Could benefit from your knowledge. I myself would purchase and or donate. 

• Like 1