Joe Kinney

Bearcat 74

Sir Snott,

Not sure why you mentioned me; did I write something that indicated you had decided one way or another?

I disagree here. If you truly have the strength to close a gripper, the tricky part is lighting not keeping it shut.

True, but I have noticed that when I'm just barely able to shut a gripper, the handles have a tendency to open up a mm after they have touched. When I can close a gripper fairly "easy" I'm able to hold the handles shut for a few sec. But if I need "100%" of my strength to close it, I will have a hard time to keep it shut. My friend who witnessed my first #3 closing, pointed out this to me. But this only occurs when I have to use all of my strength to close a gripper ( and I assume that Nathan was close to his limit when trying to close the #4 ?? ). But after my strength increased and my ability to close the/my #3 "comfortably" ( relatively speaking :tongue:cry ) this is no longer a problem.

I am the only one that have experienced this ??

I am the only one that have experienced this ??

I could do multiple closes for at least 5 seconds each when I certified. So, I didn't have this problem. I waited to certify so there would be no miss and would be a formality with no risk.

Heck, I even practiced in front of "pseudo" witnesses to get out of my normal workout environment. :)

Roark,

The second paragraph on page two of your post. You use the term, "...we all..." - as in me included (I'm not, and if that's the impression I gave sorry about that) - so I wanted to set the record straight, that's all.

Just keeping you on your toes, Joe!! :cool:laugh:laugh

I could do multiple closes for at least 5 seconds each when I certified. So, I didn't have this problem. I waited to certify so there would be no miss and would be a formality with no risk.

LOL... Sounds good to me.

I closed the #3 gripper in front of Svend Karlsen a couple of times and he tried out my gripper etc...etc... then we went outside to take some pics... and you know what... I couldn't do it ! :blush I tried and tried, but could only get the handles to 1mm :(

Then I decided to try with my other ( left ) hand, and phew ! I managed to close it and get a good pic :laugh ( luckily my left hand is about the same strength as the right hand, because I train them equally hard ).

2strong-

I hear that.

I missed it right a few times in front of Wade. I then grabbed er' left and mashed it down.

Rick Walker :rock

Yes... he was close, but could not shut the gripper completely ( he was about 5-8 mm away from closing it ).

gripmaster,

From what I've read, Svend doesn't train with grippers. Based on the other ways he trains his hands, It doesn't surprise me he was that close with #3.

L.J.

Ahhhh soooo close!! My idol almost closed it. He must use the grippers right???

5-8mm isn't that close.

BC.

Guest gripmaster316

5mm isn't far, but I guess it isn't that close. However, if he doesn't train on the grippers, that is pretty darn good.

gripmaster316-

You said, "True... but honestly whats the difference if you get your friends to witness this or someone you don't know?? As long as you close it in front of someone then you are certified", in this thread. It appears to me that your comments above are a perfect example of what others were talking about when disagreeing with your statement. Your hero, nothing wrong with that by the way, is "soooo close!!" at 5-8mm away when in reality, and objectively, 5-8mm is somewhere between hell and gone. So now you've been called on it and you've decided that 5-8mm isn't that close, yet you still yearn to mention the favorable light- that 5-8mm is still good if he doesn't train with grippers. It's called bias.

BC.

The last 1 mm is so much harder that any distance of 1 mm before it it is the nature of grippers. Ask Tommy, Nathan, Heath, and Dave Morton.

Guest gripmaster316
So now you've been called on it and you've decided that 5-8mm isn't that close, yet you still yearn to mention the favorable light- that 5-8mm is still good if he doesn't train with grippers.  It's called bias.

I am not going to say anything that will divulge any more controversy, so I will do the next best thing and ask you if you think that is a reasonably good attempt without training on grippers.

Yes, I think it is.

When I used to have people try my grippers, I would ALWAYS say something like:

"Now, close does not matter. The handles must touch.

The difference between world class and a good grip is

in the final 3/8" toward closing. So the challenge is to

close the gripper completely, not partially."

It does no good to make that statement AFTER they try.

• Like 1

Yes, it is a good attempt. In fact, if it's true that he doesn't train grippers he'd probably mash that thing in short order if he wanted to. He may even already have the strength necessary and only needs to learn how to set it properly in his hand.

BC.

He may even alrady have the strength necessary and only needs to learn how to set it properly in his hand.

BC.

I think thats the case with alot of guys that get it down to that 3/8-1/4 ranger on their first tries with a heavy gripper.

gripmaster314,

You'll find out exactly how far away 1 mm is when you're trying to close a tough #3!! :tongue:laugh

• 8 years later...

This was a great thread.

I have to admit I was a bit skeptical. I bought Joes DVD and I like it, but it just seemed that his training would cripple anyone who followed it to the letter. It seems it may have given Joe some forearm problems after reading this thread.

I had read this a couple of times since I joined the board but never replied to it as I had nothing useful to add. I still don't, but now that it's been bumped back, I just wanted to add it's kindof cool to read what Heath had to say about his meeting with Kinney. And even though I've never met anyone, from his internet writings he seems like a very honest guy and I can understand why so many believe it if he does. Wannagrip made a good point back then: Heath must have spent those 4 hours with a "microscopic eye", and re-read your report if you have any doubts... it all matches with the belief that Kinney was a beast. Just my humble, worthless opinion, of course. :-)