Joe Kinney

Bearcat 74

In time that meeting between Joe kinney and Heath will become a legend that often gets talked about!

Guest gripmaster316
No, Kinney has said he can't close the #4 anymore. He is even very hesitant about closing a #3 b/c of wrist problems.

I hope his wrist gets better.

At last! Joe Kinney has finally got the satisfaction he earned. I have never doubt about his feat because of following reason. 1. As an anatomist, I have never seen that extreemly muscular hand on another person. His thenar muscles for example was incredible big! 2. I have never seen any another person crush a beercan with Kinney style. I have seen Magnus Samuelsson crush beercan, but he was only able to do it with the regular "cheating style" against his chest.

Edited by Arne

You know what this belief in Joe actually shows?

How much Heath's word is trusted. :bow

Very true.

BC.

Guest sjeff70

What is interesting about Kinney's #4 close is that it appears he didn't need much assistance in setting the gripper with his other hand. He took the gripper from practically the beginning all the way to the close. Then he grinded it with about 5 clicks, and he spoke when he did it which meant he probably had even more left in him. :rock

Jeff

Guest gripmaster316
What is interesting about Kinney's #4 close is that it appears he didn't need much assistance in setting the gripper with his other hand.  He took the gripper from practically the beginning all the way to the close.  Then he grinded it with about 5 clicks, and he spoke when he did it which meant he probably had even more left in him.

Would you say a no set close? Or not??

Great post.Great report.

I will likely buy the tape now.

Is the wrist problem due to his strenuous training regimen?

Or is it an unrelated injury?

Wonderful story Heath. Thank you for sharing it with us. Does anyone know what Kinney's whole-body workout routine looked like during the time he was focused on closing the #4? I assume that he used a KTA-type program for his grip, but how did he train everything else?

Edited by paul valpreda

Wonderful story Heath. Thank you for sharing it with us. Does anyone know what Kinney's whole-body workout routine looked like during the time he was focused on closing the #4? I assume that he used a KTA-type program for his grip, but how did he train everything else?

Kinney trained heavy twice a week, high volume...high load. I do believe he did other lighter stuff on some other days but cannot confirm it.

Guest gripmaster316

He was definitely weighed less then 200. It really doesn't matter, he is the grip champion.

You're right, it doesn't matter how much he weighed. It was simply a matter of curiosity.

Is the wrist problem due to his strenuous training regimen?

Or is it an unrelated injury?

It was the training. He went REAL heavy, I mean REAL heavy. His intensity was unreal too, there were no off days, no whining, he just poured the coal to it.

He said it felt like his bones were in a bind, and sometimes as if they were actually pulling apart from the force.

I would like to say that I wasn't looking for Joe to prove anything to me. I was simply honored that he wanted to meet me. He knows what he did, but said very little about it unless I brought it up. He bragged on his kids, talked about wife, friends, and other aspects of training. I will have quite a month of June. Metting Joe Kinney, going back to AOBS and seeing everyone again.

Kinney trained heavy twice a week, high volume...high load. I do believe he did other lighter stuff on some other days but cannot confirm it.

There is reference in (edited to save space) Dec. 2002 (pages 54-55), stating the cornerstone of Kinney's training was high rep-heavy squats.

Heath you said Joe had big forearms, big wrists and thick fingers. Do you have a gues on the size. I was also wondering does any one know if Joe could pinch grip 45's or better? I heard he used huge weights on his pinch grip machine.

Heath,

The man is truely amazing... I talked to him on the phone for about two hours and it was one of the greatest conversations I've ever had!

And you get to meet him in person - the fact that he wanted to go halfway just to meet you... WOW... that says a lot right there. I hope you took a lot of pictures of "the legend" and you'll show them to me and the rest of the guys at the AOBS. :happy:D

Thanks for taking the time to post this Heath!!

I second that. Thanks Heath ! :)

I saw the video of Kinney closing the #4 and if his #4 is a monster (and Heath is the right man to judge that) then his strength level was unbelievable ! :bow

Heath,

Thanks for the post. It always great to get to meet special people...

However, and I don't want to be needlessly controversial here, but I do not see why if you did not believe Kinney before you would now believe so after reading Heath's post, or vice versa.

When Heath first posted on this board, as I understand it, he made some claims that were met with disbelief.

He kept his mouth shut, and let his hands do the talking. Now, I dare say, we all believe whatever he claims. Does this belief constitute proof? No. But one believes a friend, whether or not the judge believes that friend.

Heath does nor suffer fools gladly, and he does not allow intrusion into the grip world by those with phoney claims.

He has no personal stake in whether Kinney closed the 4 or not, but maybe Heath senses in Joe something that we did not at first sense in Heath- that he is a man of his word.

Heath has very many times come within a whisker of closing the 4. So many times, that if he had announced that he actually closed a 4, I would believe him. Is that proof? No, that's friendship. And its respect based not on his word but on his parallel accomplishments in the grip world which have been witnessed by several here with awe- he sometimes displays casual strength at a level beyond what I could ever hope to reach if younger and more intense.

The point: Heath's judgment is something of value in regard to the merit of grip feats, and I trust him. I do not

claim that this message constitute's proof or any reason that anyone else should trust him, but it is refreshing to have someone here of his strength of character and hand.

Besides, he may stop by here sometime and I don't want knots beaten into my bald head!

However, and I don't want to be needlessly controversial here, but I do not see why if you did not believe Kinney before you would now believe so after reading Heath's post, or vice versa.

Sorry, no grabbing and pointing for me today. Someone else can pipe in here and provide help for Chris. :mellow

Guest Jeff Roark

Heath shared his Get a Grip video with me this past Sunday. All it took for me was to watch the video to get the feel for Joe Kinney. By his presence on the video I felt he had honor and integrity. He provided proof that was good enough for me and obviously for Strossen. Everyone is so focused on his #4 close on the tape that they are blinded from what impresses me nearly as much, is the way he handled the #3. I cannot handle my #1 in the manner he does with his #3. I would never take anything away from one of my freinds but Heath does not handle a #3 in such a casual manner and he will agree as he and I discussed it during the video. I always felt the man was legit and after watching him in action and speaking with Heath its obvious, he is to grip what Authur Saxon is to the Bent Press.

Ok, I will pipe in.

Heath is of high character and integrity.

He is also very smart and Kinney asked HIM to meet. In actuality, my guess is Joe wanted to size him up and see for himself if HEATH was the real deal.

Heath examined the gripper very closely. He talked to Joe in person. Joe had everything to lose and nothing to gain by meeting Heath. He watched Joe. My guess is Heath can tell you everything Joe did EXACTLY during their meeting. Heath was watching, I bet, with a microscopic eye.

Heck, even Nathan Holle's close call on the 4 leads to further evidence in favor of Joe PRIOR to Heath visiting Joe. Why? Take a look at the picture in (edited to save space) and you can see what I am talking about.