Joe Kinney

Bearcat 74

After talking with Joe several times, we decided to meet. It was his idea actually. My schedule wouldn't allow me to drive all the way to him, so he offered to meet me half way. I loaded up, and took off. When he arrived we shook hands, sort of looking for weaknesses I guess, and started talking. I had an assortment of grippers with me, when I dumped them out he was a kid in a candy store. Squeeze, close, talk, squeeze, close, talk. He brought his #4 for me to see. Someone made the remark about how low the handles were mounted, and about how it couldn't be that hard, bull****! It was a monster. I mean, monster. I checked the thing out, and looked to the inner handles, the knurling was somewhat worn, indicating that he had ground it. It is the same gripper in the video, and in the IM catalog. Other than that the gripper was unmarked, untampered, and hard as hell. While he was messing with my grippers, he closed my 2 so hard the handles whacked, very cool. Also, he messed with all my grippers, I asked him, "did you close my #3?" He said, "I don't know, probably not. I'm no where near what I used to be." I thought, hmmm, for a man that is supposed to be so dishonest and secretive, he was truthful about that. I really didn't know if he had or not, I was just curious. I had my picture taken with him, and while standing there shaking hands, he squeezed my hand, not hard just a pop and release of tension. Let me tell you, it hurt! We talked more and more, total time was 4hrs standing in the Toys R Us parking lot, right as we were leaving I showed him my BTR #3. I cut the handle in half all the way up to the center line, this is a pretty hard gripper, I asked him if he thought that was enough cut, etc etc... I also said, "people say this can weaken the spring." "Hmm, I wouldn't think so" and he gives it a playful squeeze, taking it down to right around 1/4", this is closed on my other #3's. He squeezed a lot of grippers, but never turned loose on anything, it was all casual. He said his wrists still give him trouble, but he is going to try and start trainng again. Joe had muscles in hs forearms that I have never seen before, right down from the wrist it looked like raised flower pedals, unreal. He has a HUGE thumb pad, large wrists, and thick fingers, but the muscles in his forearms were unbeliveable. Joe is a very nice, and straight foreward man. He is very intense, even in just casual conversation, reminding me a lot of Bob Bollenbach. I look forward to meeting with Joe again, and shooting the breeze. I had a lot of respect for him, but I gained a whole lot more after those 4hrs of talking. The man is the real deal IMO, and I have nothing but respect for the man. I would like to thank him for meeting me, and as I said I really look forward to meeting him again.

That concludes the longest post I have ever made.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After talking with Heath, I am now off the fence I mentioned when the subject of Joe came up.

Heath is obviously credible and talking to Heath on the phone about certain aspects of his meeting leaves no doubt anymore for me. Heath has been around tools and he said there was no way those wear marks weren't from grinding the handles.

I encouraged Heath to make this post. I thought it was very important.

Wow you are lucky to have actually met that legend. Could you maybe post the picture? I have never actually seen him.

Thanks for the inspiring post Bearcat 74 ! :rock ( Kinney :bow ).

Heath,

Some good history there. Have you added any grip tools to your arsenal in the last few days- that is, do you think you have enough gripper variety for awhile?

Maybe

Heath, you must feel good inside that Joe kinney wanted to meet you. He must have gotten something from your communications with him that told him that you were a man after his own heart, someone he would go out of his way to meet. I have no doubt that in your own modest way that you were thinking, I am nobody, and yet Joe Kinney still wants to see me! I think too that Joe would get along fine with Tommy Heslep if the two were to meet.

Your's is harder. His is harder than the new ones IM is making IMO, 3 3/8" wide, loads up very fast.

I always believed Mr. Kinney closed a legitimate #4 but I always guess I had a little doubt that mabe he tampered wtih it to make it weaker. After reading Heath's post all doubt has been ereased. Mr. Kinney's the man when it comes to grippers. From what I read about his wideo he didn't just close it he manhandled it.

Heath,

I couple of weeks ago when viewing your profile, I noticed that you were from Tennessee. I said to myself, If I were him I'd take a road trip down to Kinney's place. It's nice to hear you took it to your advantage. Thanks for the details of your meeting :rock:rock

L.J.

Heath

Congrats on meeting the man,the 1 and only so Number#4 closer :bow

How is Mr.Kinney doing in general,is he in good health,i hope so as he gave us all alot :bow

Meeting up and talking for 4hrs in a parking lot,reminds me of when i 1st whent and met the HOLLE brothers and we did the same,shoot the breeze,cool.

Obviously he still has alot of base strength there from all the correct/awesome/painful/freaky training he used to do :bow

Wouldn,t it be ultra,ultra cool :cool if the second person to close the #4 was also from Tennessee :bow

Great post. The legend is alive! :bow

I actually bought a new #4 last week from choice of champions in Germany. I asked them about their #4s, if they had any single-stamped #4s, they had!

I got the gripper, it came in one of those little plastic bags I have heard about. It was wide, but the handles was set lower than on the other #4s I have. I thought maybe this #4 could be easier than the new ones. WRONG. It was brutally hard. Easily the toughest #4 I have. Such a strong gripper.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

I have spoke with Joe via letters , and I have always thought he was the real deal.You couldn't have explained things the way he did without having been there.

Heath, thanks for sharing this. It's probably the most intresting post I've ever read here.

Now Im sure Kinney closed #4. :bow

Heath

Great post! It sure held my attention. :rock I am looking forward to seeing the pic of you guys. Tell me do you know where I can get a copy of Joes video I have heard so much about? Does he have them for sale ? Any help is appreciated :D

Send $25+$6 S%H to

J.B. Kinney

PO Box 32

Bean Station, TN 37708.

Took that straight out of (edited to save space).

Rick Walker :rock

Send $25+$6 S%H to

J.B. Kinney

PO Box 32

Bean Station, TN 37708.

Took that straight out of (edited to save space).

Added to FAQ forum

Thanks for sharing that Heath. I have always been one to believe that Kinney closed the #4, but your experience, for me, just adds further credibility to the feat. Did you ask him if he thought he may have taken things too far too fast, and that maybe that's why he is having hand problems now? Or has anyone asked him that before?

BC.

Guest gripmaster316

Can Kinney still close a 4?? I heard that even if you stop grip training you don't lose much strength. Heath, thank you very much for sharing that incredible encounter you had with the grip legend. Maverick you can order the 1998 March issue and see what Joe looks like. I personally thought that he looked like an ordinary guy... but with... well you know a gorilla grip.

gripmaster,

No, Kinney has said he can't close the #4 anymore. He is even very hesitant about closing a #3 b/c of wrist problems.

L.J.

Thanks, Heath. A very important, interesting and CONVINCING bit of reporting. I have found myself slipping onto the wrong side of the fence over the years. In spite of my desire to believe Joe I just felt the evidence wasn't there. Your experiences have brought me a long way toward believing, something that matters a lot to me.

Mike M.

I wonder how many mere motals drove by in the Toys "R" Us parking lot-not knowing who was there. :bow

I would have pulled a "U'y" right in the middle of a busy highway :tongue

I have NEVER had any doubt, EVER about Joe's phenomenal strength... in 2003 his crushing strength has yet to be replicated. Heath, it's nice to hear you had a nice time meeting the beast...and yes, there is no question about it..his hands are so thick, and his forearms....damn, I never seen anything like it before either. :rock