American Ninja Warrior

Evan Raftopoulos

I was reading last night about the ways to get on the show. It seems next to impossible. I'd have to quit my job(s) before the waiting in line option was viable. And I think you have a better chance at winning Powerball than getting picked by your video submission. I looked for a local ninja gym (minneapolis) and only found one place that essentially has a warped wall, salmon ladder, and a peg board. Would be fun, but it's not like you could train for the show there. And now that guys are quitting their jobs and training for the show full time, year round (wolfpack, etc) the show seems a little out of reach.

Is there like a "junior league" for the ninja community where it's fun to challenge yourself and compete, but you're not really trying to get on the show?

you have high chances of getting invited if you make a good submission video. A lot of the videos are last minute vids of just guys working out (like mine lol) and they don't care much about that. They want to see your personality, it's a tv show first and then a competition. Matt, I think you have good chances of getting invited with all the things you 've done and with CPW. That makes a great story and the producers would love that imo. The deadline for the vid submission is usually December-January. The submissions start some time in the Fall.

there are several ninja warrior gyms around the country that you can train and compete. The gym I go to (apex movement norcal) hosts comps every few months. I 've trained/ competed with many people that have been on the show (David Campbell, Kevin Bull, Nicholas Coolrdidge, Jessie Graff, Flip Rondriquez, James McGrath, and many others). It's really cool competing with these amazing athletes. Let me see if I can find the list with the gyms. It does take specialized training no matter how strong you are, but imo you can get ahead of the game with upper body obstacles if you 've been alrleady training your grip and have competitive bw/strength ratio.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

Took my kids out to the ninja gym today. Got some footage of me trying a few things. Sorry for the shaky camera work, my 7 and 5 year old were filming.

Let’s just say I have a long way to go and Mt Midoriyama is pretty safe with me around. It’s fun as hell though!

• Like 6

I'd say you have some skills, Sean.

It looks like a lot of fun.

Looking strong Sean! You should submit a vid for anw8!

I'd say you have some skills, Sean.

It looks like a lot of fun.

Thanks Eric! It's funny, it's training without feeling like it's training.

Looking strong Sean! You should submit a vid for anw8!

Thanks Evan! There are so many good athletes out there. They do have a competition at the gym in November so I think I might start there.

Great job Sean, that looks like an awesome gym to play around in!

Cheers Tom. The gym is so good. It's kind of old school, no frills and such, but it's got so many cool toys to play with.

• Like 1

the floating boards are great for pinch grip training. I think these are about 1.5 "

• Like 2

I watched the KC ANW on Saturday. I thought the hanging bungees looked pretty hard on the grip.

the floating boards are great for pinch grip training. I think these are about 1.5 "

Really nice Evan! Those floating boards are way harder than you make them look. Nice job!

• Like 3

good news for those in the US who wish to compete: this year there will be a regional and national championship organized by many ninja gyms around the country (this is different from the tv show). The top 5 of every gym will go to the national finals I believe later this year or early next year. This is new but more info will be posted here

http://www.ultimateninja.net/

https://www.facebook.com/ultimateninjaathlete

• 2 weeks later...

Geoff Britten's awesome performance. I think he'll be really good in grip sport. He climbs up to V13s if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos
  • Like 2

Dang, dude's got some hambones.

You say "he'll be really good in Grip Sport" like he is going to compete? That would be really cool if so!

Dang, dude's got some hambones.

You say "he'll be really good in Grip Sport" like he is going to compete? That would be really cool if so!

I meant he'd be good if he were to train and compete. My bad, english is my second language :). I've talked to him before though and I'll try to introduce him to grip sport if he doesn't know it already, maybe send him some grippers!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wilmington, NC is getting a gym to train ANW at. Waiting for them to open it, I'm friends with the Ninja Dentist.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

just an update for those who haven't watched the final episode:

not only one, but two people completed the entire 4 stage finals course in Las Vegas. Geoff Britten and Isaac Caldiero, both strong rock climbers with very impressive grip/bw ratio (I posted a vid of Geoff earlier). Isaac was faster at the 75ft rope climb and won the million. This is the first time in 7 years that this happens! Also, first time that two people completed stage 3 in official ANW finals comp. Before that Brian Arnold went the furthest in stage 3 two years ago.

• Like 2

just an update for those who haven't watched the final episode:

not only one, but two people completed the entire 4 stage finals course in Las Vegas. Geoff Britten and Isaac Caldiero, both strong rock climbers with very impressive grip/bw ratio (I posted a vid of Geoff earlier). Isaac was faster at the 75ft rope climb and won the million. This is the first time in 7 years that this happens! Also, first time that two people completed stage 3 in official ANW finals comp. Before that Brian Arnold went the furthest in stage 3 two years ago.

This was an amazing season...I have been rooting for Britten the entire season

I still need to talk to him about grip sport and maybe send him some grippers! he climbs V13s so his pinch grip and open hand grip for his wt must be phenomenal. Based on some training vids I saw of him he could probably do OAC with a RT.

• 3 weeks later...

Wilmington, NC is getting a gym to train ANW at. Waiting for them to open it, I'm friends with the Ninja Dentist.

Of course they would get one. I just moved from around there :p lol

• 1 month later...

part of team competition from yesterday. It was fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ptpAwvh700

I had to wait on the salmon ladder after the transition to stop swinging before going further up.

Cripes! You made that look easy. People don't realize that the slightest imprecise movement will send you down. Nice job.

• Like 1

part of team competition from yesterday. It was fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ptpAwvh700

I had to wait on the salmon ladder after the transition to stop swinging before going further up.

Cripes! You made that look easy. People don't realize that the slightest imprecise movement will send you down. Nice job.

thank you brother, everything went as planned this time!

• 2 weeks later...

just got this email from the casting team:

AMERICAN NINJA WARRIOR

We're back for Season 8 and it's going to be the best season yet!

To apply, fill out our online application via www.ANWtryouts.com and upload a 2-3 minute submission video (on the last page of the application).

The submission deadline is Sunday, January 17th by 11:59pm (PST). Don’t procrastinate, the sooner you submit the better!

Please note, the site will save your application progress, which will allow you to go back and add additional information, until you click "SUBMIT." DO NOT click "SUBMIT" until you have completed the application, uploaded 2 photos and a 2-3 minute video.

(*Please be patient while uploading your video... depending on formatting and file size, it may take a long time.)

SUBMISSION TIPS:

Make sure your video has a strong introduction with a lot of energy and personality! Remember, this is a TV show!! DO NOT just include a voice over, we want to see you talk in front of the camera.

WHAT IS YOUR STORY?
We want to know who you are, in addition to being an athlete. Are you a janitor, a doctor, a mailman? Who inspires you? Why are you running the course? We want to learn all about you! The 2-3 minute video should be a nice combination of personality and athletics.

SHOW US YOUR ATHLETIC SKILLS! Your video must include athletics; to prove to the network you can handle the ANW course.

• If you are using a smartphone to film your video, make sure to hold it horizontally (sideways). This will maximize your screen.

• On the last page of the application, you will need to upload 2 photos of yourself. Make sure at least one of the photos is a headshot, where we can see your face clearly (i.e. no sunglasses, hats, blurry photos, etc).

Our casting team will be a huge resource for you. If you have any questions, feel free to contact us via email at ANWCastingTeam@gmail.com.

GOOD LUCK!!

• Like 1

haven't practiced this in a while but felt easy for the most part. Usually I use momentum and let go with both hands at the 3rd transition part but I was able to make it with just reaching with one. I think I didn't have the grip strength to do that in the past and one guy told me before that it's not even possible. At the last transition I grab the bar behind so it's not a perfect clear. This is considered one of the most difficult obstacles of ninja warrior finals stage 3.

• Like 1

Killed it! Nice!