Wrist Developer Vs Sledge Hammers For Wrist Strength.

PeterSweden

i went to lowes today to "test out" some stuff and i couldn't even do maybe more then 1 full movement with their regular size sledge hammer...it was kind of disappointing. i ended up walking around lowes for 30 minutes doing it with one of those pick things (big flat part on one side and a long point on the other) i probably did it too hard or too much for my first time cause my arms are REALLY messed up already just 5 hours later,...i can barely wiggle my wrists around without having sharp pains in my upper forearms. i gave arms a semi decent ice bath then a very hot bath/soak. i really hope these are good pains and not bad pains. i could barely lift a bottle of water. if this doesn't injure me and everything turns out ok i will definitely keep doing it at lowes for free until i can use a sledge hammer (or at least an axe). once i get to that point i will just buy one. hopefully i can progress to an axe soon. definitely am feeling burns in places I've never felt before so hopefully thats a good thing. i really need to get my wrist strength up so i can one day cert the 3.

Wrist Thingy

@AbsuM- You can choke up on the handle to make it easier. When you get stronger you can then grip further away from the head of the hammer. Not sure if you realize this ignore if I am off base here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2017 at 0:06 AM, terminal said:

@AbsuM- You can choke up on the handle to make it easier. When you get stronger you can then grip further away from the head of the hammer. Not sure if you realize this ignore if I am off base here.

No you are right on base my friend I see exactly what you're saying. I don't know why but something was blocking out in my head the fact that you can move your hand up and down the (shaft?) and it still be ok. I was seeing people using it from just the bottom part and I guess I just thought I was supposed to start there. I'm actually going to go pick one up from lowes today now that you made this clear to me. Hopefully in some time I will be able to do a couple reps from the bottom of the handle. Thanks again.

• Like 1

You can get just a bare handle and rig up something to hold weights on the end.

Went to lowes today and got a 8lb kobolt sledge hammer (needed one anyway). Hope i didn't strain or hurt my wrist while using it. Will know in morning. Glad I got one. Thanks again terminal

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AbsuM- said:

Went to lowes today and got a 8lb kobolt sledge hammer (needed one anyway). Hope i didn't strain or hurt my wrist while using it. Will know in morning. Glad I got one. Thanks again terminal

I put a line on the handle of mine every inch so that I can try to be consistent with my work, and I can measure improvement. Found it more useful then when I started off as I had been guessing the distance.

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2017 at 9:13 AM, terryt3o3 said:

I put a line on the handle of mine every inch so that I can try to be consistent with my work, and I can measure improvement. Found it more useful then when I started off as I had been guessing the distance.

Very good advice here much appreciated. I haven't used a gripper since the day that I last used the sledgehammer which was like 2 maybe 3 days ago and I wanted to grip today but still felt beat up from the sledge. I can't tell if I'm hurting my forearms/wrists in a good way or a bad way but the inch line is very smart way for consistency and will prob help with technique. Do you have a wooden or fiberglass handle like mine?

Mine is wood, but that is because it is the only one the store had in a the weight range I wanted.

• 2 years later...

I just received my WD2 yesterday (along with the Vulcan). I have never reverse bent any steel before, but over the last couple of months I have been training reverse bending on a Steel Bender's Helper (love that tool) along with DU and DO style. On day 1 I was able to max out at level 8 (4-3) with the orange spring on both sides, but my plan is definitely to progress on it with more volume work. I ordered the Wrist Developer DVD (stream) from The Grip Authority, so it will be nice to have some more guided instruction on optimizing technique and training (this thread has already been an amazing resource).

But I still plan on doing sledge levering as well, which is why I posted it here. I had made my own thick (sort of) handled sledge tools so I can work both hands at the same time. Maybe I'll work my way up to an actual piece of steel soon? 🙂

• Like 1

So after ordering the Wrist Developer DVD and learning better technique (among other things), I was able to go from level 8 orange to level 9 on both sides (and in convincing fashion) during my 2nd session with the WD. Additionally, now that I am using better technique it seems that I might be stronger with my right hand forward/dominant. It was hard to tell on the 1RM attempt because I did that side 2nd, but on the warm-up sets and repping-out sets it felt like the (slightly) stronger side. I'll continue to train both. Highly recommend the DVD (stream)! http://thegripauthority.com/wd/wrist-developer.htm