Wrist Developer Vs Sledge Hammers For Wrist Strength.

PeterSweden

If the goal is to get strong, which will benefit me the most?

Developers look like alot of fun too, but if sledgehammers are superior in building strength, I'll stick with em.

If not, Im really thinking of buying a developer.

Never used a wrist developer...only sledges. I feel that a sledge can be used for more variety of activities making it more useful versus the WD. Sledge choke, sledge pronation/supination, Slim lever, face lever, sledge finger walks etc.

Edited by Lucasraymond
  • Like 1

Wrist developer is a very specific in what it does..mainly reverse strength. I reversed a black G5 to about 25degrees from training with It but that's the only benefit I found.

Some of the Russian guys who use sledgehammers religiously have crazy strong wrist strength as you can train your wrists from all angles with sledgehammers. One guy apparently wobbled a gold nail DU.

I have both. I agree with what has been posted thus far. Sledge will give you overall versatility. WD is nice if you want to train reverse bending, but not spend a lot of money on steel.

• Like 1

I feel the sledge is cheap and good enough. For pure bending nothing is better then just bending though.

Like you have machines in various gyms that I'm sure work great but then again a simple bar with weights works just as well.

I remember daniel mentioning some scary stories with the wrist developer in a contest, and playing with it felt awkward with heavier resistance in my elbow and bicep.

It might have use as a rehab tool using very light weight,

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 1

I haven't used a wrist developer yet but I imagine that besides reverse bending it helps with strengthening supination for arm wrestling and you should be able to use it in the arm wrestling position.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

I feel the sledge is cheap and good enough. For pure bending nothing is better then just bending though.

Like you have machines in various gyms that I'm sure work great but then again a simple bar with weights works just as well.

I remember daniel mentioning some scary stories with the wrist developer in a contest, and playing with it felt awkward with heavier resistance in my elbow and bicep.

It might have use as a rehab tool using very light weight,

You mean they got hurt using it?

Could be unacustomed ppl maxing out on it?

I imagine you could hurt yourself with anything that way.

Never used a wrist developer...only sledges. I feel that a sledge can be used for more variety of activities making it more useful versus the WD. Sledge choke, sledge pronation/supination, Slim lever, face lever, sledge finger walks etc.

Wrist developer is a very specific in what it does..mainly reverse strength. I reversed a black G5 to about 25degrees from training with It but that's the only benefit I found.

Some of the Russian guys who use sledgehammers religiously have crazy strong wrist strength as you can train your wrists from all angles with sledgehammers. One guy apparently wobbled a gold nail DU.

I have both. I agree with what has been posted thus far. Sledge will give you overall versatility. WD is nice if you want to train reverse bending, but not spend a lot of money on steel.

I haven't used a wrist developer yet but I imagine that besides reverse bending it helps with strengthening supination for arm wrestling and you should be able to use it in the arm wrestling position.

It sure looks like alot of fun tho!

But I see your point!

Im still sitting here waiting for the Hornes to get the adj. Thickbar back in stock tho.

That unit is getting bought.

Juha said that it helped him beat 100 kg on RT, helped alot.

Any experience on that thing by any chance?

just got my wrist developer, working with this is a much different feel than working with a sledge hammer.

A few things I've noticed relevant to the above:

- The resistance is the same throughout the range of motion vs with the sledge hammer that resistance depends on the angle/positioning.

- you work both wrists at the same time

- depending on how you hold /which hand is where you can load the wrist from many directions

- it's easier to practice wrist stabilization control (isometrics)

- to me this is easier to use vs a sledge hammer due to its size

- you can easily change the resistance by adjusting the spring or using different springs

Personally I look forward to start using this for wrist strengthening together with the leverTop, the orbigrip and sledge hammer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

just got my wrist developer, working with this is a much different feel than working with a sledge hammer.

A few things I've noticed relevant to the above:

- The resistance is the same throughout the range of motion vs with the sledge hammer that resistance depends on the angle/positioning.

- you work both wrists at the same time

- depending on how you hold /which hand is where you can load the wrist from many directions

- it's easier to practice wrist stabilization control (isometrics)

- to me this is easier to use vs a sledge hammer due to its size

- you can easily change the resistance by adjusting the spring or using different springs

Personally I look forward to start using this for wrist strengthening together with the leverTop, the orbigrip and sledge hammer.

Evan, which spring do you have?

As with my black spring the first part of the motion(bend) is easier but ramps up at the end & the CROM spring has a hard first half of the motion but gets easier at the end.

So for me I can get level 8 on the CROM spring but just miss out on level 8 black spring as the last few degrees of the bend is comparatively harder than the CROM.

So for me the resistance changes with different springs!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Interesting thread.

My priority right now is building wrist strength doing Plate Curls so ideally i need something to balance out the surrounding areas of the wrist.

I think it boils down to preference. both will work, so do what you enjoy. im sure there will be carryover if you decide to switch later on. that being said, Im still not sure which i will go with..

Probably the Wrist Developer. i like using it for high reps. #FeelsGoodMan.

Hey Josh, I have a few different ones and I also used the RB springs on it. I'm sure you are right about the changing of resistance through the range depending on the spring, I only used it a bit yesterday for the first time and I was more comparing it with a sledge hammer which its resistance is completely dependent on positioning.

absolutely no offense my man! I’m glad that you mentioned that about the springs. How long have you been training with it?

From June 2014- July 2015(now) so about a year. Went from doing level 13 Orange as a starting point to level 9 crom, so about 100-150lbs added to my reverse bending strength :D definitely gives you strong wrists ;)

• Like 2

nice, I have to become more familiar with the levels and springs.

Got mine from Kody he sent me two springs, I guess one is the orange the other one not sure what it's called. I also have one for the Vulcan I believe is the same spring though. I used the wrap I have for the levertop but I need to get another one for the other handle I think. Josh, do you use wraps with it?

photo%2528133%2529.JPG

• Like 1

nice, I have to become more familiar with the levels and springs.

Got mine from Kody he sent me two springs, I guess one is the orange the other one not sure what it's called. I also have one for the Vulcan I believe is the same spring though. I used the wrap I have for the levertop but I need to get another one for the other handle I think. Josh, do you use wraps with it?

photo%2528133%2529.JPG

That looks like my 'CROM' spring. I believe that all the others are color coded, though you may wish to check David's site to confirm it.

Dude that is the Orange spring as it is orange...and the black spring on the left as it is black ;)

Yes use wraps! This is the Orange spring in my video

Bob vangenugten (artee on the gripboard) is very strong on the wrist developer

• Like 2

Just have a quick question.. When do you use you Wrist Developer lads? after grippers, pinch, plate curls..?

and how many times a week do you use it?

Thanks in advance :)

With the wrist developer you can use it for light volume so the 6+ rep range every day or every other day but if you make max attempts you will need atleast 3-7days off. Using light volume everyday for 2 weeks I went from level 7 to level 9 crom

With the wrist developer you can use it for light volume so the 6+ rep range every day or every other day but if you make max attempts you will need atleast 3-7days off. Using light volume everyday for 2 weeks I went from level 7 to level 9 crom

Thanks for the reply buddy :)

Ill take your word for it because you clearly have the experience to back it up, but that seems like fairly high volume considering the wrists can be quite vulnerable. i think ill give that a try very soon. ill stick with higher reps though, say 10-12 just to get the feel for it, havent used it in quite some time.

do you do it with in conjunction with other exercises, or as a stand alone just to get the work in?

Thanks again.

I use it as a stand alone exercise, usually on a day of its own or after bench or squats.

My wrists are used to a half a year of bending 60D nails every day and an another few months of harder stock ranging between 60Ds and black grade 5's

Once your wrists get used to the movement and volume they will be pretty much bullet proof!

• Like 2

I use it as a stand alone exercise, usually on a day of its own or after bench or squats.

My wrists are used to a half a year of bending 60D nails every day and an another few months of harder stock ranging between 60Ds and black grade 5's

Once your wrists get used to the movement and volume they will be pretty much bullet proof!

Thanks Josh, very helpful as always. appreciate it.

Ive been doing plate curls so my wrists are getting strong in that position, but i want to strengthen the surrounding area to get stronger of course, but to prevent any imbalances.

i havent bent any nails or used the WD in awhile.. so i just wanted to ask one last thing, would that day-day off approach be ok for me to start out with? sticking with the 10-12 rep range?

Thanks.

Edited by Jones1874

Thank you Josh for mentioning!

I would like to add a few thoughts:

Volume works wonders for the WD, usually its not because of fatigue, but because of skin that you have to give it a small break. As long as the skin holds, keep pulling. But know when to stop.

Use the WD after grippers or other hand taxing exercises. After a crushing session my wrists usually are warmed and solid, also crushingstrength is needed on this device.

The picture shows the original WD, the classic as I like to call it. The levels on this one are (even) tougher than on the WD2!

My bests on the classic, with the black spring is 8, and 18 with the orange. On the WD2 I took a black spring to 13, and a crom and wasp to 14.

Its an awesome tool!

• Like 2

He is what I suggest something like this:

Monday - level 3 black x 6 reps x 5 sets

Wednesday - level 3 black x 7 reps x 5 sets

Friday - level 3 black x 8 reps x 5 sets

Sunday - level 3 black x 9 reps x 5 sets

Tuesday - level 3 black x 10 reps x 5 sets

Thursday - level 3 black x 11 reps x 5 sets

Saturday - level 4 x 6 reps x 5 sets

I have experimented with this and it seems that if you start off something light so if you can do 10 reps on level 3 black start off on the 6 rep range and keep increasing the reps and it will keep getting easier. Your wrists get sort of tricked as they don't really notice that you've added an extra rep every session. But message artee if you want to know what he does as he's been doing it for more years than I have.

Edited by JoshW
  • Like 3