Certified Captains Of Crush Stats

exarmy

just wondering, anyone knows the lightest guy to certify with the "new" rules?

CCS or CCS & new, out-0f-the-package #3 rules?

Hasn't new out of package always been an requirenment when certifying on captains of crush?

No, it hasn't.

I didn't know that, I also thought the rules after 2003 or so always required one out of package. I'd be interested in finding out the ligthest guy for both then. I guess I could go through the list and contact those guys to find out, its not really that many people. (assuming I can find their contact info)

I didn't know that, I also thought the rules after 2003 or so always required one out of package. I'd be interested in finding out the ligthest guy for both then. I guess I could go through the list and contact those guys to find out, its not really that many people. (assuming I can find their contact info)

please do this!

it looks like Satohisa Nakada certified in 1998 with the old/easier rules.

"easier rules" are- in my opinions- unfair terms for the guys who certified before mid-2004.

I was right around 200 when i certed i think. I certed the day before SHGC that year.. So whatever i weighed at the comp was my weight at the time of my cert. i was definitely CCs closing #3s prior to my cert at well under 200 tho. I also did all my best bends at that same weight, including the gold nails. Making me the lightes gold, and KOAB bender. I think... I dont know what Pat P. Weighed at the time of his bends, but i assume he was over 200. Im a little fatter now tho, closer to 225. And i havent noticed any benefit to closing grippers with the added weight. Not saying it wont help so long as the extra weight is muscle, but i dont notice a difference with more fat.

Hand length is 7-3/4" when stretched hard.

6'

Blonde hair

Blue eyes

And i enjoy long walks on the beach.

I was once convinced that I needed to weight 50 pounds more to deliver thunder fastballs (I'am found of baseball and played for more than 10 years). I was wrong ! What I just needed at that time was a better grip !

Story tells that weight doesn't really matter.

CCS came before out of the package. There are a group of guys who closed their own gripper with CCS. But Tex was definitely the first for the out of the package rule.

• Like 2

"easier rules" are- in my opinions- unfair terms for the guys who certified before mid-2004.

what type of set was allowed back then?

please do this!

well half of them are probably on here, not sure how to get the contact info of the rest, maybe google them and see if they are on social media or something

In the early days they just required a picture of you holding the gripper closed. Then they briefly went to a 1" set in the early 2000s. Strossen was present for several certs where the person certifying took liberty with the 1" rule, setting it down to 1/2 or even 1/4". Basically a negative. So that's how the credit card set was born. Edited by jmatney
  • Like 1

As for the "new out of the package" rule, people were basically seeking out the easiest #3 grippers they could find to cert on. This combined with the issues with deep sets was beginning to sort of lose the whole spirit of the certification.

I personally think both rules are fantastic. When news breaks of someone certifying on the #3, you know exactly what they did.

• Like 1

I personally think both rules are fantastic. When news breaks of someone certifying on the #3, you know exactly what they did.

...mostly. The gripper could still be anywhere from 138 to about 156. :) But IronMind does a good job of screening that people are ready for the average gripper. I've heard of them asking people to get more consistent closing their #3 before the cert is granted. I think they might have even asked Chez to do that.

• Like 1

...mostly. The gripper could still be anywhere from 138 to about 156. :) But IronMind does a good job of screening that people are ready for the average gripper. I've heard of them asking people to get more consistent closing their #3 before the cert is granted. I think they might have even asked Chez to do that.

I was one of the people they asked to do that with a #3 gripper.

CCS came before out of the package. There are a group of guys who closed their own gripper with CCS. But Tex was definitely the first for the out of the package rule.

I counted 83 people from Tex in 2006 to Gilbert a few weeks ago.

In the early days they just required a picture of you holding the gripper closed. Then they briefly went to a 1" set in the early 2000s. Strossen was present for several certs where the person certifying took liberty with the 1" rule, setting it down to 1/2 or even 1/4". Basically a negative. So that's how the credit card set was born.

wow, that's so much easier, I would have been a CoC by those rules.

in 2003 47 people were certified, in 2006 only 3.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

I certed back in August of 2000. I set the gripper just enough so my pinkie would get around the far side of the gripper, which was what I believed a proper set should be. I certed using the gripper that I had purchased from Ironmind over two years earlier. I followed the rules as they were back then. Some guys took liberties with the rules by using really deep sets and/or modifying their grippers (foot stomping, etc.) and that is why a stricter standard had to be put in place (uniform set distance and brand new grippers). Was my set a credit card width (2inch) set? No, but it was not too far away from that. Would a credit card set have been harder? Yes, but if those were the rules, that is what I would have practiced. I am proud of my certification because it took me a long time to achieve that goal, and there were no "in between grippers" around in those days to close the gaps between whole number grippers. Training inginuity was very key. There also was not too big a group of guys doing this sort of stuff and if you were the type of guy to seek advice, it was very hard to find. The bottom line is that sometines rules change because they have to be changed, but whatever the rules are, they must be followed.

During my Red Nail certification process, the time limit rule was instituted because of me. There was no time limit in the rules at the time I attempted to certify on The Red Nail. I bent it in front of my witness and it took me about 10 minutes. My attempt was rejected by Randy Strossen because he thought a feat of strength such as bending a nail should not take more than a minute. I fully agreed with him and right then and there he instituted the one minute time rule. I had to follow the rules, so I kept at it and four months later certified in front of Randy Strossen himself. It made it harder for me, but I had no choice but to follow the rules.

Edited by 3Crusher
  • Like 6

In the early days they just required a picture of you holding the gripper closed. Then they briefly went to a 1" set in the early 2000s. Strossen was present for several certs where the person certifying took liberty with the 1" rule, setting it down to 1/2 or even 1/4". Basically a negative. So that's how the credit card set was born.

It took me less than a year to close a #3 with a deep set. Then, it took me 6 years to close it CCS. Train hard and consistently and you'll be on the list ! No doubt.

• Like 4

Right, I just meant in comparison to any set you want with any #3 you want.
  • Like 1

I certified in August of 2000 and I needed a credible witness that Ironmind provided for me. I did my certification at Iron Island gym, which is about as good as it gets for providing a credible witness.

• Like 1

I certified in August of 2000 and I needed to perform my #3 close in front of a credible witness that Ironmind provided for me. I did my certification at Iron Island gym, which is about as good as it gets for providing a credible witness. Just providing a picture for Ironmind would not have been sufficient, if you consider 2000 the "early days."

• Like 1

I certified in August of 2000 and I needed to perform my #3 close in front of a credible witness that Ironmind provided for me. I did my certification at Iron Island gym, which is about as good as it gets for providing a credible witness. Just providing a picture for Ironmind would not have been sufficient, if you consider 2000 the "early days."
My bad man. Thanks for the clarification.

I was mainly referencing one of Strossen's posts concerning Joe Kinney from a few years back. From memory at that--I don't even recall if it was here or on the IM forum. So the details might be shaky. I know someone had called the cert criteria from the 1997-98 period into question, and it was mentioned that Joe had sent a picture in of him closing the gripper and that it was sufficient at that time.

Very well could have been more to the actual cert itself. May have been that Joe sent the pic in as proof that he was ready to cert.

• Like 1

Does anyone know when the introduction of the witness/ref started?

Just thinking aloud in case IM people are reading here and if they care of improving this process.

So that hand size is not debated again instead of CCS they could allow for this:

I set the gripper just enough so my pinkie would get around the far side of the gripper,

and then the referee can say "go". They can start a public video library so everyone can see the attempts like GHP challange or MM. It seems that it's kind of a mystery what happened in the "early days".

Also, they could set up a process like Mash Monster that everyone is closing the same gripper OR come up with a new line of CoC3 that are RGC rated with very small variability for certification purposes. Just my opinion of course. I know that if someone doesn't like the rules he can cert elsewhere like mash monster or GHP instead. For me there's something about captains of crush that makes it special, perhaps it's the history and reputation.

It took me less than a year to close a #3 with a deep set. Then, it took me 6 years to close it CCS. Train hard and consistently and you'll be on the list ! No doubt.

thank you and great job brother! what a determination!

• Like 1

I like your determination!! The majority of people would have quit long ago, especially in this day and age of immediate gratification. Great job and get certified!!

• Like 1

Deferred gratification is how it should be. I would prefer to put in the years of hard work and say that I earnt it rather than CCS a #3 with no training

Well said though Steve!

• Like 2

especially in this day and age of immediate gratification.

I see both sides. The longer it takes the sweeter the cert will be. With grip training at this point in time I think I belong more in the wanting immediate gratification category. But assuming that you play by the rules and you stay injury free I don't see a problem if one wants to cert so bad that he also wants it sooner than later. Having said that I know that it's still gonna take me years of hard work to cert.I set a goal by the end of 2016 but it's just a goal, it might take much longer.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos
  • Like 1

especially in this day and age of immediate gratification.

I see both sides. The longer it takes the sweeter the cert will be. With grip training at this point in time I think I belong more in the wanting immediate gratification category. But assuming that you play by the rules and you stay injury free I don't see a problem if one wants to cert so bad that he also wants it sooner than later. Having said that I know that it's still gonna take me years of hard work to cert.I set a goal by the end of 2016 but it's just a goal, it might take much longer.

Don't know if you have checked out Jedd's product Operation: Gripper Certification, it's designed to help people for the IM certs.