Ex-Rugby League Star Breaks Arm

Sam Radford

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3119965/The-horrifying-moment-former-rugby-league-star-Ben-Ross-arm-SNAPPED-live-TV-arm-wrestling-contest-former-player-Wendell-Sailor.html

Just come across this down under in Oz, 2 ex professional rugby league players arm wrestle on a sports show and the white dude ends up breaking his arm!!

Now with professional athletes I would have assumed that their overall strength on their full body could withstand this sort of pressure - what went wrong?

Sometimes it just happens. His muscles are strong, but his bones aren't used to the very particular torque involved in armwrestling.

It sucks, I know. And it's scary.

• Like 1

Eric - after how many years does the risk go down? Obviously it is a big risk for beginners, but after 2 or 3 years of practices & matches, I would assume it would be significantly less (although still present)?

Now with professional athletes I would have assumed that their overall strength on their full body could withstand this sort of pressure - what went wrong?

No matter how strong you are with other things it's an unusual way to load the humerus and unless you've been training for it for a while you are at high risk for spiral fracture. But if you are training consistently in arm wrestling angles with time all the tissues in your arm should adapt to higher and higher loads and I think that this significantly reduces risk of fracture or other soft tissue injuries (strains or tears). Also, the body mechanics are huge in arm wrestling. If his hand was anterior /more medial to his shoulder the whole time I think that this would have been prevented. Having said that, it's possible for one to be strong and experienced in arm wrestling, use perfect form, and still be at some risk of injury (imo much lower risk though).

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

He also seemed to lunge forward with his shoulder as his opponent hit with side pressure and he left his arm way behind. It didn't look like something that just happens but more like something that could of been avoided with basic knowledge of the sport. Am I seeing this wrong?