2015 N A G S Championship Reports And Videos

Jedd Johnson

I thought I would start a new thread about the NAGS Championship. We can put our contest reports and videos here.

First up was grippers. I've got the right-hand attempts for Luke and me below. I have the attempts of several others uploading currently.

My best close was 180. This is a 5-lb improvement over last year's close of 175. This helped me stay close to the leader in the event, Chez, who closed 185 and went for 190 at least once.

I believe Luke's best right-handed was 165.

• Like 4

I posted this in the main contest thread, but just I wanted to copy it over here as well:

Hey, guys. I hope you all had as good of a time at the meet as I did. It was great to hang out with such a cool crew of guys and get to squeeze things and pick up heavy stuff. Thanks again to Andrew for putting together such a well smooth running event.

For those of you that will be posting photos to Instagram or Facebook, I asked that everyone add the hashtag #nags to the photos. If you did, thank you, but apparently that is a relatively popular hashtag for whatever reason. So, if you haven't posted photos yet, please use the hashtag #nagsc2015 so that everyone can see each other's photos. If you have already posted photos, it is relatively easy to go in and edit the caption to add the hashtag. If you have any questions or anything, feel free to shoot me a PM. Thanks again, everyone.

I will be reviewing editing and posting photos and video over the next few days. My cheering section :grin: and I got a pretty decent amount of footage.

• Like 1

Gilbet, You are the only one who had an entourage, brother - VERY COOL!!!!

Here are several right-handed attempts from some of the other competitors.

• Like 2

Great job on the gripper performance, Jedd! I look forward to hearing detailed write-ups. Did Andrew Durniat compete?

Here are Luke's and my Left hand grippers.

I'm pretty sure Luke got 150 and 155 and then missed 160 twice.

I got 155, which I closed last year, then I got 160, a left hand PR for Nationals. I skipped my 3rd attempt, as to be as fresh as possible for my last attempt, plus my dumb left forearm started hurting the last few weeks, so I was hoping to give it some rest. The plan didn't pay off, as the 165 felt like a brick and I think I missed by a half inch.

Either way, I PR'd with both hands and totaled 340, so I didn't worry too much about it.

Great job on the gripper performance, Jedd! I look forward to hearing detailed write-ups. Did Andrew Durniat compete?

Yes, he came in 3rd overall.

• Like 2

There is an attempt from him in the 2nd video Jedd posted.

• Like 1

There is an attempt from him in the 2nd video Jedd posted.

Thanks, Matt! I can't view the video right now.

My best close was 180. This is a 5-lb improvement over last year's close of 175. This helped me stay close to the leader in the event, Chez, who closed 185 and went for 190 at least once.

Dude, 5 pounds in a year is great at your level. Congrats on the improvement!!! Every pound at those high levels is such a fight!

Yes, he came in 3rd overall.

Thanks, Jedd!

Dude, 5 pounds in a year is great at your level. Congrats on the improvement!!! Every pound at those high levels is such a fight!

Thanks man. I owe it all to Cadence Based Training, to be honest. Before coming up with CBT, I was stagnant for 3 years straight, at least.

• Like 1

Here are the other left-handed gripper attempts I got on film. Sorry if I didn't get any of your specific attempts guys. I was just too busy.

Here is Luke Raymond's 2HP Attempts. You'll notice a couple misses. These plates have only ever been used one time before NAGS 2015, and that was NAGS 2014. Once I brought them home last year, they sat in one spot for about 5 months and another spot for about 7 months with a towel over them. They both ended up very brown from seasoning effects, but apparently it wasn't enough for big pinch numbers.

• Like 1

I also missed twice. I got +/- 226 for my first attempt, and then 235 for my second. From there, I went to +/- 243 and I couldn't quite pull it high enough.

My two hands pinch training has been HORRIBLE, and I mean horrible, since about the middle of April. I hit an all-time training PR and then broke another one off the ground in the next session, and then from the middle of April on, it was total garbage, and I do not know why. I will be going back to the drawing board to see if I can get my technique right and my training approach back on track for WSH, which will be July 25th at my place in Wyalusing.

• Like 1

I got 160# RH and 150# LH on grippers and only 203# on 2HP (totally was freaking out on the inside after two misses)!!

The conditions for pinch just weren't happening for whatever reason. Lot's of misses on weights that no one expected to miss.

• Like 1

Here are all the Axle attempts that I got. This event went very quickly. It seemed we motored from 330 to 380 supper fast, which is good.

My goal was 400lbs. Missed 402 twice. Only thing I can say is that I just didn't have enough left to hold on at the top for the down call. Although I got really close, as the old saying goes, "Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades."

The video has attempts from Kody, Andrew and me.

• Like 1

2hp was weird. it didn't feel slick or anything like that. it just felt heavy.

thank you to jedd for getting all this vid and putting it up for us. I think 90% of all of the vid I have of myself comes from jedd.

• Like 1

This is part 1 of the Wrist Roller. I had to switch cameras a little over half way through the event because my main one was dying. I will work on the other footage as soon as I can.

Luke finished in less than 8. I was happy getting +/- 10.5 seconds on this. When we were at Andrew's in March, it took me over 20 seconds. I trained this one hard when I did it, although I only hit it on three occasions.

• Like 1

The Medley was awesome at NAGSC 2015. I probably say that about all Medleys, but I liked how strategy played into this one.

For a brief explanation, there were two lines of challenges. Each challenge had a harder and easier version. You got 1 point for completing the harder version, and 1/2 for the easier version. If you did the harder one, you couldn't get points for the easier one.

There was also only a 60-second time limit, which seemed very daunting. In training, at best, I we only trained 9 implements and we were having trouble completing just them. The adrenaline gave me a boost at the contest though, as I was able to get 10 of the harder items and 2 lighter ones along with several misses mixed in, so 60 seconds proved more than enough time for me, personally.

The two most challenging implements for me were the 170 Sorinex Horn and the 205 Sorinex Saxon Bar. 170 is right on the edge of my strength, so I tried it a time or two with each hand, then got the lighter one later on in the Medley. I feel if the 205 was on the other Saxon Bar implement, I would have gotten it easily, as the lighter one had a much better texture. It ended up that NOBODY got the 205 Saxon Bar. I was chalking that thing off and on for half an hour to get the grip good on it, but every time someone touched it, it looked as though they had just eaten a piece of pizza bare-handed prior to doing so. The chalk just wouldn't stick.

I was in 2nd place going into the Medley and my finish enabled me to slip into 1st. It truly came right down to the wire, making for some awesome drama, in my opinion.

• Like 2

After the contest, I had decent energy left for some feats, so I went looking around for stuff to do while Andrew tabulated results. It had been a while since I really went all freestyle on feats post-comp, so it was a lot of fun. Eric Roussin challenged me to a Row for Reps with the Gracie bell, that weighs 146lbs. That video will be below.

I also challenged him to a best lift of the Coulter Bell, a 182-lb Inch Replica style dumbbell.

Eric won both challenges. Man, his thick bar strength is ON POINT!

• Like 1

Gracie Bell Row-off

• Like 3

Thanks for accepting the row challenge, Jedd.

• Like 1

I thought you guys were rowing the Inch? I should have paid attention

2hp was weird. it didn't feel slick or anything like that. it just felt heavy.

thank you to jedd for getting all this vid and putting it up for us. I think 90% of all of the vid I have of myself comes from jedd.

I think that's the case for a lot of dudes.

Thanks for accepting the row challenge, Jedd.

I love a good challenge, Eric, and that was a good challenge!

I thought you guys were rowing the Inch? I should have paid attention

No way brother. That's your ball park.

By the way, that video isn't quite ready yet, but Andrew strolled up and hit a clean, strict double with the actual Inch from the Medley, just seconds before announcing that the results were tallied and asking us to go over to the other room.

You'll see what I mean in a little bit.

Here are Brandon Gerber's attempts at lifting the Gracie Bell and Inch Dumbbell overhead with a Jerk-style lift.

Hand to Hand Tosses with the Gracie Bell. I got a couple singles, then ol' Gilbert came up and showed me how to get a double like a man, lighting a fire in my quick.

• Like 1

It's been months since we really tried this, but Luke suggested we try curling the Blob. It felt fantastic, I assure you. Like a hot fireplace poker to the bicep tendon and wrist joint at the same time. Awesome.

And here is the video referenced above. We're all just standing around about to feat the Blob for real, when Andrew Durniat strolls up and hits the strictest double with the Inch I probably ever saw. This was after 30 minutes of sitting on his butt tabulating results. It was very impressive, but I no-sold it like Road Warrior Hawk no-sold Jerry Lawler's piledriver.

Afterwards, Kody hits nice Blob Clean and I go for a Blob Snatch, that turned out to be more of a straight-arm swing, I guess.

• Like 3